Chapter 1 - Nerves to Laughter

Study Dates

The cafe was calmly filled with laughter & talking. Sitting in a booth against the windowed walls, Dongwoo tried thinking to himself.

Dongwoo's thoughts: 'Relax, man! It’s only coffee & studying. You only have to talk to her for an hour. Oh God, an hour! What if she’s not a talker!?!? Will I have to do all the talking!?!? What will she think of me!?' “Aish!” His exclamation earned him a few looks from the workers behind the counter.

Ana's thoughts: 'Breathe, he’s just a guy! A really cute guy, but a guy none the less.’ Ana kept repeating the this over in her head as she was walking down the street from the bus stop to the cafe she was to meet Dongwoo at. “Should I call him I’m running a bit early?” She searched all of her pockets for her phone, finding it in her jacket pocket. Slowing her pace down a bit, she scanned her contacts. ‘Dammit, must not have gotten his number. Oh well. I’ll get it when I see him.’ She kept walking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the cafe, A server knocked him out of my mental freakout. “Annyeong. Would you like anything to drink?” “Aniyo, no thanks. I’m waiting for someone.” She nodded looking at her pad of paper. “Arasseo. I will comeback when you’re ready.” She bowed & left. ‘Did she recognize me?’ he thought to himself. Fiddling with his zipper, a familiar figure came through the door. ‘Ok, Jang Dongwoo, now or never...’

Ana walked into the cafe, searching for her study date/mate. ‘Aish, it’s not a date!’ she scolded herself in her head. She saw the familiar looking guy in a booth in the corner against the window. She smiled & walked over to him. “Annyeong, Dongwoo-ssi!” She gave a polite bow as she smiled at him. He stood up, smiling & bowed as well. “Gumawo, Ana-ssi, for meetingme today.” She giggled at his politeness. ‘I never knew he was like this.’ As she sat down facing him. “Sorry if this place is kinda small. But it was the only place I could think about since it’s pretty close to school too.” “Oh dont worry, it’s perfect. I only live a bus ride away, plus I know someone who works here.” She tried reassuring him. With that said, a server came up to them. “Unni!” The same girl who asked Dongwoo for his order came bouncing to their table. “Unni! Annyeong!” “Omo, Mimi-ah! Annyeong! How are you doing?” “Gwaenchan, unni. How about you? What are you doing here on a weekend?” Ana was a little flustered at her dongsaeng’s question. She glanced slightly at Dongwoo to see if he reacted the same way. He was looking down, probably to avoid the younger girl’s glare. She cleared , thinking of how it introduce her (secret) crush. “Well, I’m here to study with my classmate, Dongwoo-ssi...” ‘Was I supposed to call him ‘oppa’?’ The younger girl turned to Dongwoo. “Of INFINITE, right?” His head shot up to face her. “De. Annyeonghaseyo!” She nodded at him. “Annyeong!” The younger girl now tried talking to him. “Dongwoo oppa from INFINITE...I like you guys!” “Jinjja?” “De! I love your music! Daebak!” Ana giggled at her dongsaeng’s fangirl remarks. “Oh right, Dongwoo-ssi. This is my dongsaeng from high school, Mimi. Her parents own the cafe...” “De!” Both girls giggled waiting for Dongwoo’s reaction. “Omo, jinjja? That’s cool!” Both girls giggled harder as Mimi now tried hiding her embarrassed face from him. “S-sooo! Can I get you guys anything to drink?” “Iced coffee, please?” “Ummm, hmmm...maybe just-” The younger girl cut her off. “Your usual?” Ana shyly smiled. “Yep!” “Perfect. Coming right up!” She shuffled back to the kitchen, leaving Ana & Dongwoo alone. “Sooo..” The awkward nervousness hungover them both. Dongwoo cleared his throat. “Gumawo, again, Ana-ssi. I wasnt sure if meeting you would be ok, but I had to see you.” More awkwardness. “You know, to talk about class!” He was starting to turn red with embarrassment. ‘’I had to see you’!? Think before you speak!’ He scolded himself in his mind. She was trying so hard not to blush, biting the insides of her cheeks. “A-ani. It’s okay. I’m happy to help, Dongwoo-ssi.” She looked down slightly to surpress the butterflies in her stomach from growing. ‘Aish!Eotteokhae! Am I that nervous.’ “Gumawo. & you dont have to be so formal with me. Call me...’oppa’..?” He gave her a sweet smile that made her blush. “Ummm, arasseo...” He looked at her with expectant eyes. ‘Please say ‘oppa’. Please call me ‘oppa’!’ “...oppa...” Dongwoo had felt like his heart was about to beat right out of his chest & fly around the room. She let out a small chuckle after seeing Dongwoo’s face. “Hahahaha!” “Hmm, what’s so funny?” “Haha, oppa’s face...Wide eyes, red cheeks, goofy grin, raised eye brows! So cute!” They both started laughing, the awkwardness dying down. “Oh, Dongwoo oppa! I need to get your number. It turns out I didnt have it when I wanted to call you this morning to tell you I was coming early.” “Oh! I guess I never gave it to you...I think I got your number from Sungyeol...” Dongwoo grabbed his phone & started scrolling. “Yep, I have your number. Can I see your phone?” Ana dug her phone back out of her pocket & handed it to him, their hands brushing slightly. ‘Self-control, dont fail me now.’ They both thought. As Dongwoo was punching his number into Ana’s phone, Mimi came back to with their drinks. “So, I’ve got 1 iced coffee, for Dongwoo oppa, & 1 strawbery smoothie for Ana unni.” She looked back & forth between the 2 of them. “Hmmm...are you sure you guys arent on a date?” “M-m-mwol?!” “Aniyo!” “Waeyo?!” “Andwae!” Mimi giggled in amusement. “Gosh, I’m just sayin. From a normal person’s observation, you guys just look like a normal campus couple. Well, scratching the whole fact that Dongwoo oppa is the Jang Dongwoo from INFINITE.” “Ok! I’m done with your phone..!” Dongwoo awkwardly handed back Ana’s phone as Mimi continued to eye them suggestively. “Ok...well..! Enjoy your drinks..!” She lightly skipped away from them as Dongwoo tried supressing his laughter & Ana trying to hide her burning red cheeks with her hands. “I’m so sorry about her. She can be pretty...playful...Mianhae.” Taking a sip of his drink, he nodded to her. “Ani, dont worry. It was funny!” They both started laughing, the awkwardness had now completely vanished. “Ok, so, how bout we just do what we came here to do, study!” “Arasseo! Kaja!” Ana pulled her textbook out of her bag along with her notebook. “So, what do you want to start with?” Dongwoo pulled his out as well, biting his lip in thought. “Well, let’s see...What was the first chapter of the reading called?” Ana flipped to the index, pointing at the first chapter listed. She looked up at him confused. “Intro?” “Yep! That sounds about right! Let’s start there!” He gave her a toothy smile. fell open in shock. Then she let out a chuckle & rolled her eyes. “Oh boy, this is gonna be a loooong day...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: (hides behind notebook) sooo...how was it..? please feel free to leave comments & ask questions! mianhae for any spelling or grammar errors. i was typing this up in class trying to put off writing poems... ^_^ !