Strange Beginnings

Strange Happenings

 


 

“Yena-unnie!! C’mon we’re gonna be late hurry up!!!” came a loud husky voice along with a very persistent knocking– no, banging from the other side of my door. Groggily I get up and regretfully leave the warmth of my bed as well as the remnants of my already fading dream. It was something about ducks taking over the world I think, very strange.

 

“Mornin’ Yuri-ah. What’s–”, before I could even finish my question, a blur had shot past me into my room, to only then start pushing me into my own bathroom.

 

“Quick quick get ready! There’s an assembly this morning! They’re going to announce details about the talent show remember?” ah yes, the talent show, how could I forget. Wait, the talent show. Oh my god, I’m supposed to be there if I want to sign up, Eunbi-unnie is going to kill me.

 

“Oh shoot.” no more words were needed as I began to zip around my room trying to get ready as fast as I can. As I stumble around with a toothbrush in my mouth and only one shoe on, I could hear the shorter girl plop herself onto my bed as well as her giggle while doing so. I could only scowl at her as I was still only halfway done and had no time to waste playing with her.

 

I then emerge from the bathroom, all dressed and ready in my school uniform, all in less than fifteen minutes. I’m quite impressed with myself I’ll be very honest. Bending down to make sure that my shoes are tied, I then hear a soft shuffle on the carpeted floor and I look up to see Yuri, only a few centimetres away. She motions for me to stand up and when I comply she reaches out to me with both hands to fix my very crooked tie, “You can never do this properly can you? No matter how many times I’ve taught you how to.” a soft sigh leaves her lips, showing no malice at all in her complaint. 

 

“Why should I learn how to tie my tie if I always have you to do it for me? My cutie Jjoyul.” I tease her and she turns away hiding her slightly flushed cheeks before she thinks I could notice them, I still did anyway. However it is true, and I am so thankful everyday that someone like Yuri is here by my side willing to help me in whatever way she can. I keep my eyes on her until I could feel a sharp tug at my neck and my most of my oxygen supply had been cut off. I try to call her name but all that came out was a few stutters and a cough.

 

“What makes you think I’m only here so you can use me to tie your damn tie for you huh, you duck?”, she says with a devilishly sweet smile on her face as she had fastened the knot a little more.

 

“I-I’m sor-ry. I’ll try t-to do be-better. You-you’re the best Yu-Yuri-ah.” I was then freed and allowed to breathe once more. And oh boy, is air a wonderful thing that we all take for granted. I swear will never try her again. At least while she is tying my tie for me. I mean, I’ve got to have some fun every once in a while right?

 

I am barely allowed to catch my breath while she grabs both our bags and tosses mine over, before I’m being dragged away again but this time out of my room and into the direction of the school’s gymnasium. Even so, continuing to be pulled along like this isn't so bad I guess, not when her hands feel so soft and warm in my own. I don't know when I had gotten used to it, but once again, it wasn't really a bad thing now, was it?

 


 

It’s not much of a long walk to school as our dorms are only about a ten minute walk away but we made lots of conversation on our way there. There’s nothing boring really when Yuri’s around, I don’t know how but she has this effect on me that I can’t wrap my head around.

 

When I first met her, she was just a shy little girl from the class next door and we somehow got grouped together with a few others for a school project. And now, a year later, she’s been able to grow into a beautiful young lady with much more confidence in herself. The Yuri one year ago would have never even thought about entering the talent show, but here she is now, dragging me along with her to be the first in line to do so. I let out a small chuckle at the thought.

 

“Hey, stop spacing out, I just asked you where Chaeyeon-unnie might be. She wasn’t in your room earlier and she should’ve woken you up if you were still fast asleep till that time.” she snaps her fingers in my face and looks up at me, pouting, and hugging my arm just a little bit tighter.

 

Getting ahold of myself and shaking away my musings about the very girl right in front of me, I hadn’t even realised when she had let go of my hand to then loop her arm around mine, I don’t know when I had gotten used to this either but it wasn’t unpleasant, quite the opposite in fact.

 

“Ah my bad, it’s too early for me to function. Chaeyeon said she’d be sleeping over at a friend’s last night, Sakura-san I think, that’s why no one was there to wake me up. No one except Jjoyul.” I then pinch her cheek as we continue to stroll along, this time not noticing her blush or the way her heart seemingly picked up and was beating just a little bit faster.

 


 

“Hey, what do you mean we’re like twenty minutes early? You said we were going to be late! Yah, Jo Yuri!” I complain as I had checked my phone for the first time this morning as I stepped into the school’s hallway. 

 

“Well… we were going to be late. I just made sure we weren’t by heading over to your place ten minutes earlier. I have to say though, you got ready a lot faster than I thought you would.” she chuckles a little nervously as my scowl deepens. I was about to lightly complain a little more about getting extra sleep when another voice interrupted me.

 

“Good morning love birds, how’s it going?” a light airy voice appears beside us belonging to none other than Kim Chaewon. And behind her stood her taller companion, Kim Minju holding onto her arm.

 

“I should say the same to you, love birds,” that comment had gotten Minju quite red, “How was date night? I saw the snapchat stories, very very cute. A picnic by the river? Quite romantic I’d say, right Chaewonie?” I drawl those words out to as much as I possibly can as well as mimicking the way the bright pink haired girl would call out the other Kim’s name, but really they are one of the cutest couples I’ve seen and I’ll admit that I’m a bit jealous of them sometimes.

 

As I had finished poking a little fun at the younger couple, in the corner of my eye I could see that Chaewon had formed a little fist, ready to throw one right at me, “You cheeky little duck. Why I oughta–” 

 

“Unnie, why don’t we head to the gym now so we can grab the nicer seats hmm?” thank god for one Kim Minju, who without I might be dead long ago. As she tugs the darker pink haired girl away by her hand, she turns around to then wave at Yuri and I, “See you two later!”

 

We both wave back and as soon as she turns back around, I allow my head to drop and let out one of the biggest sighs ever, “Whoo am I grateful for how whipped Chaewon is for Minju, I can only do that when she’s around you know.” I then raise my head to look back up at Yuri who is facing the floor and it looks like she’s been doing that for a while now as she had begun to draw little invisible spirals on the ground with the toe of her shoe. “Yah Jjoyul, what’s so interesting about your shoes huh?” she snaps her head back up and I stare at her earnestly, a blush creeping her neck. Strange, she’s been doing that a lot lately.

 

She clears before ignoring my question completely, “Why are you riling up Chaewon again, you know how tsundere she is.” she rolls her eyes as she opens up her locker to dump her bag inside, I hand over mine as well in a silent request for her to shove it inside because I didn’t want to walk all the way to my own locker which was on the opposite end of the hallway. I then lean my back onto the locker right next to hers and fold my arms, looking up at the ceiling like I was in deep thought.

 

“I don’t know really, it’s pretty fun and the reactions are a bonus. I mean why do you think I mess with you all the time? Your reactions are the cutest.” I try to look back at her again but her hair had fallen and had covered the side of her face as she was fixing the stuff inside to make sure that the bags wouldn't topple out when we come back later to open it again. 

 

I reach out to try and tuck some of it behind her ear but she quickly pulls away and slams the door shut, scaring me and making me jump off the wall of lockers. “Jeez. Give me a warning next time.” 

 

I was about to start a new conversation up but before I was able to the bell had rang signifying that the school day had officially begun. I look over at Yuri who was now finally facing me after the longest time ever. That’s dramatic, it’s only been like five minutes. I stretch out my hand to her and gently asked, “Shall we? Let’s go.”

 

She grabs my hand and intertwines our fingers and once again that warmth comes back to me. From my fingertips all the way to my toes and back. Huh, strange.

 


 

[A/N]:

Sorry for any mistakes I've made

-J