Shift

The Life of A Teenage Hooker

*Italicized- for emphasis , ' thoughts '- for thoughts. "speak"- for speech ;]*

 

                This happens every time Jongup walks into school, he’s nervous, his heart beats erratically (almost painfully) against his chest, his palms are damp and he clutches onto his bag strap for dear life. He plasters on a fake, (and most importantly) normal smile and pretends like he’s every other kid. He walks through the sea of students, and although they don’t seem to be looking at him, he can’t help feeling like someone is staring at the back of his head with blazing eyes. When he reaches his homeroom and occupies a seat in the back next to the windows, he lets out a breath he didn’t realize he was holding and his body relaxes and slumps into the metal chair. When the bell rings, the class room is full and the teacher begins to drone about current school events and fundraisers, Jongup doesn’t pay attention. A few minutes later, he snaps out of his reverie when the bell rings. He heads out, like his peers, and walks leisurely to his next classes (where he proceeds to be a good boy and listens to his teachers attentively as he takes notes). At 12:10PM, he has already gone through five classes (Physics, Trigonometry, English, Literature, and Gym- in that order) and was eager to see his noona. When the bell rings, he rushes out of the school to his noona’s college – he finds the big oak tree and sits underneath it, enjoying the shade it provides and the gentle breeze.  Hyosung meets him there ten minutes later.

              “NOOOOONNAA!!” Jongup screams, running to her.

              “JONGUPPPPPPPP-AHHHHH!” Hyosung screams, sprinting towards Jongup.  When they meet, they spin each around like those people in the movies and break down in giggles. They probably looked crazy right now, Jongup thought, but whenever he’s with his noona he finds that he doesn’t care about being normal.

              “Let’s eat” Hyosung says, she takes out a big basket of food and a large purple fabric; she places it on the floor and smoothens out the edges and folds. They sit, and she opens up the big basket, the aroma of the shrimp and the soup causes Jongup’s stomach to grumble. He sits down and they begin eating.

              “Noona,” Jongup asks, “Hmmmmm,” Hyosung answers, stuffed to the brim with shrimp. “Doesn’t this cost a lot?” Jongup asks, glancing at all the food. “Nah! Koyeon ahjumma’s chefs are sometimes busy, so she asks for me to cook. And when I do, she says I can keep the left over scraps for dinner- which aren’t scraps at all, this time she gave me a huge tub of jumbo shrimp and said that it would go bad anyway- I think she just wanted to give me food without being too soft about it,” Hyosung babbles, Jongup nods, that sounds just like ahjumma. “Oh and for the tofu stew, the tofu’s pretty much cheap anyway, and there was a special three thousand won for 6 pounds of vegetables- and you know how excited I get over sales, being a girl and aaaaaallllllllll,” Hyosung says, “But noona, most girls don’t get excited over grocery sales, only ahjummas do that,” Jongup says innocently, “Whaaaateeverr,” Hyosung drawls out lazily, “I guess I’m special then,” “You mean weird…” “Special and weird are two different words meaning the same thing.” “Yeah, synonyms…..” “SHUT UP!” “Okay.”

              “Speaking of which, I need to teach you how to grocery shop,” Hyosung says, “But, it’s just buying food...” “No it isn’t, grocery shopping is an art, no no no no, a sport! You have to know the best times for sales, what the best deals are, get some coupons and how to properly push people to get to the best items!” “Ah, really?” “Really, really. But don’t worry, you’ve got the best person to teach you, namely me,” Hyosung says, grinning. “Hyosung- noona…” Jongup says warily, “Hmmmm?” “Is this what you learn in culinary school….?” “No, of course not, but it’s still very important,” “Okay. But I have work today.”

               Suddenly the atmosphere becomes serious, “Do you have to work like that?” Hyosung says, “I have to, all the jobs I’ve found pay too cheaply, I would never be able to pay the bills.” Jongup says, sighing sadly. “So if I somehow manage to find a job with enough pay and reasonable hours, you would take it?” Hyosung inquired. “Of course, but don’t try too hard noona, and I don’t want to be too burdensome,” “NONSENSE, you’re my little bro bro,” Hyosung says, grinning widely, “And you’re not even a burden, and if you were I wouldn’t mind, little brothers supposed to be burdens anyway.” Jongup grins at Hyosung, “I love you noona,” “I love myself too, hehehe, just kidding, I love you toooooo,” Hyosung says, grinning widely exposing her gums to the world.  Her gums were her complex, she hated her gummy smile- but Jongup thought her gummy smile was cute, so she didn’t care when she was around him.  And the rest of the period is filled with random topic babbles from both of them and happy, chiming giggles.


               When the bells rings, the food is only half gone (she brought a lot of food), “Well I guess this is our dinner,” Hyosung says, packing the leftovers into the basket. “Don’t work too late, okay?” Hyosung pleads, “I hate your job, and I’m always worried whenever you work,” Jongup sighs, “I hate it too, but I need the money.” Hyosung huffs, “Noona is going to find you a better job.”  Jongup doesn’t say anything because he wants a better job too, but on the other hand, his noona was a busy person, she had work at the inn, school work and she needed free time too, just to relax- she was already short free time without her trying to find him a better job.  “Noona, work hard in school. Fighting!” Jongup says, giving her a huge smile, “Ahhh, you’re so cute,” Jongup pretends to hate it when she pinches his cheeks and ruffles his hair, “Noooonnnaaaaa,” he whines, trying to fix his hair, “’Nooooonnnnnaaaaa’ what? Okay, Eopie, noona has to go, now I’m more motivated than ever with your cute cheerleading skills,” She says in a teasing tone, Jongup just pouts. “Bye, bye and work hard too, Eopie-ah” She does an aegyo that makes Jongup laugh, “Okay, I will.” She makes him lean down, and she kisses his forehead, “And I will see you laaaaateerrrr~” She says, and she skips to her school entrance- they scream their byes until she makes it into her school. He grabs his stuff and walks to his school, feeling better and less nervous due to his Noona’s encouragement, ‘If I’m not gonna go to school for my sake, I’ll do it for noona’s’ he thinks as he makes his way confidently into his art classroom, ‘besides, I love art.’ And Jongup makes his way through the last three periods of his day just fine.


                When the bell of his last period rings, he stuffs everything in his bag and rushes out to the front yard where Hyosung is already waiting for him. He unlocks his bicycle and they get on, rushing back to the hotel.


                Jongup’s job doesn’t start until 9PM even though he opens at 5PM, probably because people wouldn’t want to be caught with a hooker in broad daylight, he muses. But he figures, that’s not a problem since he has to do his homework anyway. So at this time, he’s sitting at the front desk doing his homework, chattering with his noona as Hyosung fools around and makes funny faces. Hyosung’s job starts right after her classes, but no one really checks in till late, most of the people being tourists or students from abroad looking for a cheap place to sleep before they travel again. Jongup hopes that one day, he can travel abroad too- but with this lifestyle he thinks it just isn’t possible. Not with his type of job, and even though it’s a horrible and morbid thought, not with his father alive. His father, ‘if you could even call him that,’ is a really pitiful man, he thinks- he doesn’t hate him, he just pities him. He’s a sad, sad man who was too weak to handle the death of a loved one, and now he has condemned his own flesh and blood to a disgusting and dirty lifestyle of ing people for their dirty cash. If you asked him, when his mother died- he didn’t just lose his mother- he lost both of his parents.  Now his father is just a deadweight that he has to support.

                He’s broken from his sad thoughts with a screech- directly to his ear, he yelps as he grabs his ear. “NOONA!” She just grins, “Get back to your homework, young man,” she says with a pseudo-serious voice. “Yessir,” he says as he salutes her, “WILL DO SIR!” and he gets back to work. “SHUT UP YOU DAMNED KIDS!” Koyeon ahjumma screams, “YOU’LL SCARE AWAY ALL THE GOD DAMNED ING CUSTOMERS YOU FOOLS!” She owns this motel, and has very colorful vocabulary (if you couldn’t tell). “I think she’s scaring away all the customers,” Hyosung mutters, Jongup can’t help but to agree. “WHAT WAS THAT?!” Koyeon ahjumma scream, “NOTHING SIR, WE WILL SHUT OUR MOUTHS, SIR!” we reply. She starts rambling about damned kids and their ‘ing ty disrespectful mouths’ and about how ‘I should ing shove a bar of soap up their mouths to disinfect them and teach them some goddamned respect and manners’ as we laugh crazily and do our homework. Don’t be fooled, she actually loves us. Probably.


                When the clock hits 8:30PM, I wave goodbye to noona, bring everything up to room 610. I take off my uniform and shove in underneath the bed, along with my school work and my bag. I put on a tight, white tank top and a black denim vest. I slip on a pair of navy skinny jeans and put on some eyeliner- time for work, I think bitterly as I look into the mirror. I feel disgusting. I make my way down to the alley next to the motel and I wait. 


AN: SORRY GUYS, for the late update T______T. And it's not even long, it's only few words longer than the last chapter D;. I'll try to make the next chapter longer than this one.

Oh and I added a new part to the foreward, the description part. So you guys should read that. Oh and more subscribers :D~~~~, makes me so happy, thanks. 

I'll repy to the comments right after I post this. And new title suggestions/ideas or something? Cause he isn't gonna be a hooker forever (-winkyface- ;]). I'll try to think of a good one. This chapter has a dumb title, but I couldn't think of anything. :O.Edited 5/31/2012