An Old Promise Kept True

again

“Dear Sana-chan,If you're somehow reading this, glad you're home. I just dropped by to try to see you one last time, but as expected… you aren't here. I am moving to Gangnam. The memories Osaka holds sting too much. Why did you leave? You should've at least said goodbye. You were my whole world, yet I didn't even get to say goodbye. I don't even know if you're alive for s sake. I hope you're safe, though. I hope you've been safe the past 5 years. Hope you're having fun wherever you are. I don't hate you, but I am mad at you. You broke my heart overnight, and the wound still hasn't healed. I'll see what the future holds, maybe I'll get married… or live by the beach. I don't know. I would've loved having you by my side in the future, but I see you didn't want the same. I'm just leaving this goodbye note just in case. I'll be in Gangnam if you want to come and search for me… Then you'd know the despair I went through all these years. Take care, Sana. I love you, and always will, Momo.”

Tears stained the wrinkled sheet of paper as Sana sat on her knees crying. She kept on reading the note to herself. Impossible. Momo wouldn't just leave like that, she had told her in her note to wait. She held the letter close to her chest as she began struggling to breathe from all the crying. She kept on whispering the girl’s name as she swayed back and forth in her seat. Slowly taking out her phone, she checked the time. It was barely nine-thirty PM. She stood up and ran to her car. The engine roared as she sped through the empty highway, focusing on the lane that lead to the airport.

“I am coming Momo! I will find you, just like I promised. Please, don't move on yet.” She screamed into the night. The airport got closer to her view as she kept on accelerating.

Once she was inside, she ran to the nearest ticket booth. Tears streaming down her pale face. A few strange eyes glared at her as she ran by, but she had too much on her mind to care. Once she reached the ticket booth, she screamed at the woman; “One way ticket to Seoul, Korea.”

The woman behind the desk nodded nervously before asking her for her information. Sana scribbled roughly on the sheet before throwing it back to her. She paid for the ticket and made her way to the gate. Her plane was about to head out, and she needed to catch it. 

She was able to make it on time, so she sat in the boarding room and dialed an old school friend. The dial tone seemed to ring forever, driving her insane.

“Common, Mina… pick up.” She begged the phone.

“Hello?” A soft voice finally responded.

“Minari, can I crash at your place. Please.” Sana started crying again.

“Um… I am currently living with my girlfriend right now… but I could give you the keys to my old apartment?”

“Please! Please, please…”

“Sana, are you alright?” The girl asked her unsurely.

“I need to move to Korea for personal reasons… It was a sudden thing and I didn't have somewhere to stay.”

“Sana, where are you?”

“Osaka airport.”

“I'll pick you up and drive you to the apartment… tell me when you land.”

Sana sighed joyfully before thanking the girl. The call ended shortly after.

She sat quietly on the plane. There was an elderly woman on the seat next to her. She spent most of the flight viewing out the small window; seeing how Japan slowly left her eyes.

 

She sat quietly on the backseat as she stared at the trees zooming past the car. Her parents’ mumbled arguing in the background. She held a polaroid of her and Momo on her hand. After a while of fighting back her fatigue, she fell asleep. That day, she dreamt about her; remembering the night when they sat by the lake on a camping trip.

It hadn't been long ago. The Hirai’s had invited her along to their annual camping holiday. This was the first year she was going there as her girlfriend.

“This dinner is boring,” Momo had whispered to her one of the nights, “Let's go see the lake?”

And so the two headed out. The moon was the only light they had. It shined on the water. Momo held her hand tenderly in hers as they sat by the edge.

“Do you believe in soulmates?” Sana asked her after a while of sitting in silence.

“Haven't we had this conversation before?” Momo chuckled.

“Yes, but not truthfully.” Sana said coldly.

“I do… I think there's someone that was made specially for you. Someone so perfect for you, it's inevitable to fall for them.”

“I also believe that it's impossible not to fall for them if you meet them.” Sana squeezed her hand.

“Do you…” Momo paused, “Forget it.”

“No, tell me.”

“Do you think… you know… we are soulmates?”

“No.” Sana shrugged. She could see Momo’s face drop from the corner of her eye. 

“I know we are soulmates.” She chuckled. Momo punched her arm playfully before kissing her.

“Don't scare me like that… Sana.” 

“You're cute when you're upset… all pouty and stuff.”

They chuckled before Momo turned her head towards the sky again. The stars twinkling in her eyes.

“I also think that… if you found your soulmate, but leave them accidentally… you'll find them again.”

“How come?”

“Like, if I move to another country… we'll find each other and fall for each other again.”

“Oh.” Sana nodded.

“Wake up.” Her mother was staring down at her. Sana rubbed her eyes before getting tugged out of the car. They were parked in front of a massive church.

Her mother pushed her forward as her father took her bag. The clacking of her mom’s heels echoed as they walked inside the church. A docile looking nun was waiting for them at the backdoors. Sana wasn’t even bothered to listen to their conversation. Instead, she stared at the porcelain sculpture of Jesus. 

“Follow me, Child.” The nun tapped her arm, making her jump. She followed the woman out of the church, not even wanting to say goodbye to her family. They walked past a concrete courtyard with a hopscotch and ropes spread around. They entered another building behind the church. She could only read, “Housing” while they walked inside. 

There were a lot of girls in the bottom floor. Many shooting dirty glares at her as she walked past. They all wore clean, tidy, formal uniforms. Nuns pushed them aside as the woman lead her. 

“That's the lesbian they sent from Osaka.” She heard one of the girls whisper. Her cheeks burned as she tried holding back her tears.

The nun called an elevator for her, taking her up to the fifth floor. This floor was empty. Nobody in the halls. She would learn why later. The nun tugged her harshly as she fell behind. Until finally stopping before a room. The little gold plaque read “665.”

The nun pushed her inside the room and ordered her to change into the uniforms before shutting the door. 

Sana stares blankly at the old door before turning around, only to be met by two curious eyes.

“Is that… the lesbian?” One of the girls whispered in a foreign tongue.

“I think so.” The other one replied in the same language. The girl stood up and walked up to her.

She was tiny, like a head shorter. Sana looked down at her curiously.

“Hello.” The girl finally spoke, this time in Japanese.

“Hey.” Sana waved awkwardly.

“You're the new girl everybody is talking about, huh?” Although small, the girl spoke to her very harshly.

“I would… guess that's me?”

“No wonder they sent you to the fifth floor.” She chuckled before looking back at her friend, “This is the lesbian.”

“What do you mean?” Sana asked her. The shorter girl rolled her eyes before sitting down.

“Sit down, let me explain.” The girl sighed. Sana eyed her unsurely before finally taking a seat on the empty bed.

“I am Son Chaeyoung, and this is Kim Dahyun,” She introduced herself and the girl, “We only share one thing in common.”

“Which is..?” Sana tilted her head.

“We were sent to this school because of homouality.” Chaeyoung sighed. “Floor five is for the most problematic students… AKA, the gays.” 

“What?”

“Oh please, we all know you're the lesbian who got caught by her parents… don't hide it.”

“Anyways,” The quieter girl interrupted, “Try to befriend floor five and three only.” She warned.

“Why?” Sana asked.

“Floor two is for the highly christian scholars… and floor one is for the girls who are getting trained to join the nuns.”

“Oh-”

“Yeah… tough .” Chaeyoung chuckled.

“Anyways, you should hop into your uniform. Sister Akira will come check up soon.” The pale girl added. Sana nodded her head before picking up the clothes that laid on her bed. There was a small bathroom nextdoor. Barely big enough for one person. She struggled to put the clothes on, as her eyes were glossy.

, I don’t want to cry again. She sighed, wiping her tears away roughly. The small space didn’t help her either, as she tumbled down while trying to lift her skirt.

“Are you alright in there?” A softer, new, voice asked her. Sana touched her lip, then bringing her fingers up to her sight. She was bleeding. 

“Um… no.” She confessed. The doorknob wiggled as the latter opened the door. 

This was an older girl. Her face docile, and soft, delicate, caring eyes. She knelt down and took out a small handkerchief from her blouse. She tapped the cloth on her bleeding wound before helping her stand. 

“Thank you,” Sana sniffled.

“It’s no problem.” The girl gave her a shy smile. Sana eyed her gently before giggling.

“I am Sana, I just got here.”

“I know, Chaeyoung told me.” The girl told her. Sana could feel herself blush from embarrassment.

“Ah, sorry.”

“I am Mina.” The girl lifted her chin up and observed the wound, “Come to my room? I need to clean it properly.”

 

“Guys, can you believe it has been a year since our little Sana arrived here? Crazy how time flies in such a ty boarding school.” Chaeyoung chuckled while hugging Dahyun tightly.

“Crazy how Mina dumped you that same year.” Tzuyu chuckled. Chaeyoung rolled her eyes before flipping her off.

The five girls sat in front of the campfire. The Christmas holidays had finally arrived, and Dahyun’s family had invited the girls to their lake house. She had even invited Tzuyu, one of the new girls this year. Everyone knew exactly why though, she had a massive crush on her.

Sana looked at the flames as she heard the others laugh in the background. She was lost in thought, lost in her own mind. It had only been a year since she last saw Momo, but she was starting to develop feelings for someone else. 

“Hey,” She felt a hand squeeze her thigh, “Are you okay?” 

“I am alright, Minari. Just thinking.” Sana smiled weakly back at her friend.

“Let’s go walk around.” Mina offered her a hand as they stood up. 

The lake house was in the middle of the woods; a nice cozy cabin with no one to bother. The two walked around the greenery in silence at first, but Sana finally spoke up.

“Why did you and Chaeyoung break up?”

Mina shrugged, “I just didn’t feel the same way I did when we first started dating.”

“How come?” Sana tilted her head at her.

Mina giggled at the gesture before shrugging again, “I am not sure, I think I caught feelings for someone else?”

“Huh.” Sana nodded her head.

“Let me ask you something.” Mina scrunched her nose at her.

“Go for it.”

“Why have you been so distant lately?”

Sana looked down at her feet before sighing, “It’s nothing, really.”

“Come on, you can trust me with anything.”

Sana scoffed, “You’ll think of me differently if I do tell you.”

“I won’t.” Mina sneaked her hand onto hers, squeezing it reassuringly.

“You promise?” Sana stopped walking. Mina turned around facing her and flashed her a gummy smile before lifting her pinky up.

“Pinky promise,” She winked.

“Ugh, fine.” Sana looked down at her feet, “I started distancing myself because I caught feelings for you… and I didn’t know what else to do.”

“Wait… really?”

“No.” Sana shook her head, “Yes, really! Why else would I make you pinky promise!”

“What a relief then!”

Sana squinted her eyes at her, “relief?!”

“Yeah, you’re the person I started catching feelings for!”

“Wait… what-” San’s face went blank.

“Yup.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

“Well, what do we do now?” Sana asked, cheeks red.

Mina observed the sky; noticing the beautiful stars lighting up their night, “we could always just stargaze before going back?”

“That’s…” Sana paused, “really nice actually.”

 

“W-What do you mean, you’re going back?” Mina stared at her in disbelief. Nose, ears, and cheeks red from crying. Sana held onto her hands firmly.

“I am sorry, Minari,” Sana tried smiling, but dropped her head crying again, “I really miss her, I can’t carry on living like this.”

Mina shook her head, “What about us, Sana? What about the three years we spent together… Does that not matter to you?”

“It does! I just… I miss her,” Sana threw herself onto Mina’s chest. The latter hugged her back gently.

“Please, Sana… think this over… at least finish school here, alright? Then go back… at least let me make some final memories with you… I beg.”

Sana nodded her head, grabbing onto her shirt. Mina gently caressed her head as the two whimpered.

A few years went by since that incident, and both of them laid on their bed. Sana took out her journal from her bag. Mina was in deep sleep by then; she could finally write in it. 

I still miss you,

Like the moon misses the sun.

Like the child misses the mother.

Like the dog misses the owner.

I thought I had gotten over you,

over us,

over everything.

I even started a new life here.

But I was wrong,

I wasn’t.

I will find you again,

Please just wait.

“You’re writing poetry about her again,” Mina sighed. Sana turned herself around; she hadn’t been asleep after all. Sana sighed and put the old journal away.

“I am sorry, I couldn’t help myself.” 

Mina nodded. 

“It’s alright, but I think we should break up.” Mina sat up, staring at her coldly.

“What?” Sana looked her up and down.

“You obviously don’t love me anymore, it’ll only hurt the both of us.” Mina explained calmly, “We will remain friends, obviously.” 

“Are you sure, Minari?” Sana pouted.

“Very. I actually got hired in a dance studio in Seoul, so I’d need to move away anyways.” Mina shrugged. 

Sana nodded once again before shutting down the lights again.

 

That was the last time she had seen Mina.

 

  1. Present

    1. Resolution 

“Miss Minatozaki?” A warm voice asked. Sana’s eyes lazily opened up to a flight attendant looking down at her.

“We have arrived.” The woman smiled. Sana nodded her head before quickly grabbing her belongings and stepping down from the plane. She looked around the gates before finally making her way out. The airport was busier than the Osaka one. She struggled to move along the lines without getting pushed.

After a long time of passing documents and checking through security, she found herself walking outside the airport. She noticed a girl in a hoodie holding a sign with her name on it. As she got closer, the girl became familiar to her.

“Minari!” She ran towards her, hugging her tightly.

“Ah! Good to see you again, Sana.” The girl returned the embrace. 

“Thank you so much,” Sana kissed her cheek.

Mina chuckled, “It’s no problem.” She looked down at her luggage before taking it herself.

“My girlfriend is waiting for us in the car, she’ll drive us to your temporary home.” Mina smiled. Sana followed her gleefully.

Mina stopped in front of a white Mercedes. Sana stared at it blankly, thinking they took the wrong car. Mina opened the trunk and hopped in the shotgun, staring back at her.

“Are ya’ going to get in, or..?”

“Right!” Sana nodded energetically before plopping down onto the seat. There was a handsome woman sitting in the driver’s seat. She observed her through the rare-view mirror.

“Wow, this is your childhood friend?” She asked Mina in Korean. Mina nodded her head.

“… I should’ve moved to Japan.” She giggled. Mina punched her jokingly on the arm.

“She understands Korean, .” She teased the girl. Sana noticed the woman’s eyes go wide before waving at her through the mirror.

“Hey! I am Jeongyeon, pleasure to meet you!” She chuckled.

“Sana.” She bowed her head.

“Sana?” Jeongyeon squinted her eyes, “Huh… that name sounds familiar, I wonder why.” She shrugged it off. The trio made their way down into Gangnam.

“So, Sana.” Jeongyeon asked after a while, “What are you planning on doing here?” 

“Music.” Sana smiled.

“Nice,” Jeongyeon nodded her head, “You should talk to my friend, Son Chaeyoung. She is a composer!”

“Chaeyoung?” Sana poked Mina, who nodded; reading her mind.

Sana clapped joyfully before nodding her head, “She was one of my closest friends back in High School!”

“Aw , that’s dope.” Jeongyeon giggled.

Eventually, they pulled up into a fancy apartment complex. Mina handed her the keys and explained to her how to get there. Sana nodded before waving goodbye to the two and stepping out.

The apartment was… abstract? It didn’t have much, but it looked good that way. The rooms echoed a lot. And it smelled like Lilacs. Sana plopped down on the bed and took in some air.

Today was the very first day of her new search.