Chapter 7

Trouvaille

Resisting the violent urge to drag his shoes over the lengthy woolen rug, and still maintaining a much-practiced elegance of posture, Jimin retreats to his chambers wishing to be relieved at last of the vexing aftermath that followed every royal gathering, particularly the frivolous evening parties. He had succeeded in excusing himself from the ball on a false upset stomach, although he doubts his sudden retreat will be remembered by anybody present.

As he walks with poorly contained haste, a servant girl bows respectfully to him and, possibly to avoid disturbing the prince with her duties and unfit appearance, hurries to disappear from his sight. However, before she does manage to walk past him, Jimin makes her halt.

"Do you happen to know where Taehyung is?" he inquires, and his penetrating gaze demands of her an immediate answer.

Flustered, she shakes her head, "No, your highness, I am sorry."

Irked by the disquieting negative of her response, yet straining to remain the ever so polite prince he ought to be, he hardly nods at her and continues to the end of the corridor, steps heavy and mind overrun with a raised worry that has been eating at him ever since this afternoon.

Where in the world can he be?

No servant Jimin has asked has seen him in the course of the entire day, and it is past supper already! His knowledge tells him Taehyung is too well-mannered to ever think of vanishing in so sudden a fashion without first saying a word or writing a line to him, thus, with every passing hour, all hope that he is alright begins to fade away.

At this moment, Jimin is in desperate need of getting an answer that differs from what he has so far got, but he does not want to draw more attention to Taehyung's absence.

In the privacy of his chamber, Jimin finds himself still dressed despite the evening hours, and incapable of remaining sat for longer than a minute. There is gentle knocking at his door that makes his nerves jump, but all expectation quickly deflates upon seeing it is a servant, who looks nothing like Taehyung, the one that dared to come in. He is asked if he should fancy a bath before heading to bed, but Jimin only demands to have wine brought to him before wearily dismissing the boy.

Too soon, the wine is gone and dreadful guilt overcomes his former worry, and he makes an urgent dash to the door, flinging it open in his determination to find the only guard he can truly trust in such a time of fragile need.

Despite his haste, he does not go further than a couple of steps away from the entrance of his chamber before he finds him diligently standing there, and the very second his presence is noted, the guard - Namjoon, regards him with the utmost respect and a dutiful bow of his head. Jimin does what he can to compose himself, and readily indicates his wish for visiting the gardens to breathe some fresh night air, although he does not fail to realize the look Namjoon gives him is almost omniscient, as if he were aware that the only reason for so sudden a petition is the search of a more secluded space where there is less chance of unwanted ears eavesdropping.

Outdoors, they settle behind an isolated, tall fountain, and speak in hushed voices.

"You must know I never call upon you merely for the leisure of chatter, Namjoon, but now my uneasiness forces me to do so," he heaves a sigh of hesitation. "Have you perhaps seen my servant, Taehyung, at all on this day?"

The guard shakes his head, "I fear I have not, your highness."

Jimin knows he should have expected the guard's answer to be so, but his willful holding onto hope has now roused in him disappointment too acute to not be notorious, and a frown momentarily darkens his features. "Oh, well," he says, willing his calm voice to obscure the illness of his current state, "I had thought you should have seen him, that is all. Please, do carry on with your duties."

He waits for the other to leave as he has prompted him to do, but Namjoon's eyes are sharp and knowing. "Permit me the boldness, your highness, but what other duties ought I to attend which are of more importance than aiding you? If help is needed to find your servant, I hope to be of use."

"And I must thank you, Namjoon," he forces a polite, tight smile onto his lips, "but I believe attempting to find him within the palace's grounds will, unfortunately, prove to be fruitless."

"How so? Can it be true, that he is not in the palace? Could he have run away?" Looking slightly aghast, Namjoon assaults him with questions, but on receiving no reaction from Jimin's part, he gives a hopeful suggestion: "We may still be in time to catch him if you would allow me to send men after him immediately."

Without delay, Jimin reveals his disapprobation of such measure, "No, that we cannot do. To be fair, I believe there is not a thing we can do without drawing too much attention," he confesses, and seeing the puzzled expression taking over Namjoon's features seems to be just about enough encouragement for Jimin to lose his composure. Waves of guilt force him to abandon his resolution to keep all of it to himself, and bringing a hand to cover his mouth, he hopes to contain his sobs. "Since this morning, he is nowhere to be seen and it is none other but my own fault!", he cries as silently as his distress lets him, "Oh, my dear, dear Taehyung, if anything were to happen to him, I shall never find it in me to forgive myself!"

In so distraught a state as he is prey to, Jimin cannot be aware of the deep concern and fondness his outburst provokes in Namjoon, nor the rushed manner in which he moves forward to support him. "You do not look well to be standing, my prince," he says, gently placing his hand on Jimin's trembling shoulder, "Please, allow me to help you sit down first, then you may inform me what this is all about."

After he gives a weak nod of approval, Namjoon guides him to one of the garden's benches, where they both sit for a while as Jimin struggles to recollect himself. No other guards or servants are near to witness the great disparity between the two: whereas one appears serene and collected, the other burns with an affliction that threatens to break him apart.

"He is out there, I am sure," Jimin rambles on, "perhaps alone, perhaps not, and I can only bear with so much wicked uncertainty and pray he is safe."

"What I fail to understand," Namjoon speaks after a prudent pause, "is why a servant of his rank should be outside at all. Are not his duties limited within the palace's walls?"

Jimin finally raises his head to give him a look darkened with sorrow and guilt. "Taehyung is out there solely on my command," he whispers, "He should have been back by noon, he always did; he always comes back to me."

"I assume he is usually sent on duty to town, perhaps?" 

At Namjoon's tentative inquiry and overall loyal carefulness, Jimin is convinced he is trustworthy enough, and finally gives in on his desire to share the burden that has been weighing him down for so long. His reddened eyes bore into the other's with the severity the matter requires, "Only if you swear, for my sake and Taehyung's, to never let a soul know of it, I shall confess the rest."

"I swear it on my very life," Namjoon's answer is immediate and filled with a passion that does not go unnoticed, "As solemnly as I have sworn to serve you and your family."

The guard listens with a great deal of good nature and patience to the brief summary of every event that occurred, ever so secretly, within the expanse of a month, and after all is said, Jimin is surprised to find in his eyes no sign of alarm. Although his mind is now much relieved by the calming balm of his undying respect and acceptance, careful observation leads him to believe there certainly lays in the guard's brow a stiffness of concern and irritation, the latter of which Jimin thinks must be due to the belief that only his own pitiful self-centeredness is to blame.

Before speaking, Namjoon appears to evaluate his words with much tactfulness. "I do not mean to raise your worries, my prince, but do you not think this man you speak of could be involved in his disappearance?" he asks, and after seeing the beginnings of a scowl tensing Jimin's expression, urges to clarify such accusation, "As we know very little of him I believe it is possible, though I must add - remarkably foolish, that he might have abducted Taehyung in pursuit of a ransom, and perhaps-"

"No," Jimin does not let him finish, "to think him capable of committing such infamy strikes me as the greatest impossibility. While it is true that we may not know him well enough, did he not prove himself reliable and oriented to selflessness the time he saved me from the depths of the forest, wanting nothing in return?"

"Certainly," Namjoon readily agrees, but his countenance shows little conviction in his words, and his voice denotes an evident wariness towards Jungkook that cannot be erased by only one good deed. "However, we must act before it is too late, my prince. I shall, if you grant me permission, go in search of Taehyung myself, and you may have my word that I shall strain to be exceedingly discreet in my ways."

"I beg you not to," comes Jimin's rushed plea, and after that, nothing can keep his tongue from spilling what his heart fears most, "Were my parents to find out, I do not want to imagine in which arts they would manifest their rage towards you. To put you, my dear Namjoon, in such unfair hazard, would surely bound me to misery bigger than this."

Appearing shaken by so sudden confession of an affection that, in Jimin's judgment, was very much due, Namjoon clears his throat. "Very well," he nods curtly, "You must not be further afflicted, my prince, for I shall remain the entire evening in watchful duty, and you ought to never doubt that I will notify you on any news concerning Taehyung's whereabouts, be it dusk or dawn."

When the subject of their conversation seems to have died down, they stand from the bench, and Jimin, whose cheeks have slightly heightened in color and eyes are no longer as swollen, renders his thanks to him. As the two begin to walk out of the garden, he cannot help but add in a whisper, "I must have bothered you greatly with my troubles today, I hope you will accept my apologies."

Namjoon turns to face him, all meekness and bewilderment, "No, my prince, you need not apologize to me in the least," he assures him, "In all honesty, I am humbled to have been graced with your trust. I am, as I shall always be, at your service."

Jimin, both equally abashed and exhausted by his own public display of perturbed emotions - emotions which have been so carelessly unraveled to the eyes of a guard he esteems most, manages to flash a timid smile plentiful of gratitude at him, and in silence, begins to walk away.

 

»»————««

 

When the impassioned revelation of devotion for each other had subdued enough in intensity to allow them a brief pause to think of their situation, they discussed what they were to do, for there was much to be properly arranged, and a certain prince who very well resembled an obstacle. They agreed it was best that Jungkook put an end to his correspondence with him at once, yet such delicate enterprise could not be done as easily and as swiftly as it was agreed on.

To write a final letter was an especially intricate endeavor, and Jungkook believed it vital to be as careful and tactful in its execution as to not reveal the real purpose behind it. He had briskly grabbed a sheet of paper, his favorite ink and plume, and a handful of determination, before going to the nearest creek which always gifted him clarity of mind. There, he sat on the fresh grass, and all the while beside him was his silent companion, his most cherished beloved, who as he went on writing, laid down and slept to the calming sound of the flowing water. This was so great a newfound distraction, for never had the drowse of another been so enticing to watch, that Jungkook felt he would never get to finish the letter in time, but ultimately managed to feel satisfied once it was signed, and prayed to never have to write to him again.

With much reluctance and the heaviness of a remorseful heart, he gently awoke Taehyung to inform him that it was already afternoon, and he was meant to go away with the freshly written letter that expressed Jungkook's admitted disinterest for its addressee. Nevertheless, as all the emotional outburst they had experienced throughout the morning had made the two of them quite hungry, Jungkook thought it best he stayed, and was able to persuade Taehyung to enjoy a meal together before he parted.

As it could be no other way, said excuse to avoid immediate parting from each other lasted longer than the meal did, and while Taehyung seemed in little disposition of wanting to leave, Jungkook boldly encouraged his stay by caressing and kissing him at every given opportunity.

Now, evening has fallen upon them sooner than they are aware of it, and alas, Jungkook's powerful persuasion inevitably wears out. Taehyung appears reasonably anxious about how much he has delayed his departure, and although Jungkook knows he is too clever to ever lose himself in useless distress, he refrains from fueling his current anxiety by making any comment on it.

Jungkook dreadfully follows Taehyung all the way from the small dining room to the entrance of the house where, far from bidding him farewell, he wraps his arms around his frame in a mortifying display of refusal to let him go.

"I really must go," Taehyung whispers against the skin of his neck as they embrace by the main door. Jungkook only reels back in desperate longing to admire his face, and finds himself entirely mesmerized by the captivating sight of those cheeks in bloom and eyes that seem to shine a light of their own. "Leaving you is painful enough," he continues to say, the velvet edge of his voice pulling Jungkook closer to him again, "yet it seems you wish to enlarge my suffering by continually reminding me of what I will miss once I am gone."

Jungkook cannot suppress the fond smile that pulls at the corner of his lips, and his arms tighten around Taehyung for a moment too short before he finally yields to the inevitable, and frees him of his hold. "If it is of any consolation to you, I too will not be spared of that suffering."

"There can be no consolation for me in your pain, shared or not," he sighs, and as they begin to walk out of the door, Jungkook wonders how he can manage to be even more beautiful while looking so woefully resigned, "I shall get my horse."

Jungkook lifts his gaze to the sky, and when he notes the darkness of the sunset has already spread all over it, he cannot help feeling there is something essentially wrong about Taehyung wandering by himself at this time of the evening. With a mind promptly settled and a determination as strong as ever, he rushes to stop him mid-walk, and says, "No, stay here, I will do it."

Taehyung not questioning his offering of assistance is most convenient, satisfies Jungkook a great deal, and permits him to act on his own designs with magnified eagerness. The moment he comes back from the stables with not only Taehyung’s horse, but his own too, Jungkook finds enjoyment in the mixture of bewilderment and mild annoyance that bleeds all over Taehyung’s features upon his arrival.

"Two horses? Jungkook, whatever is the meaning of this?"

"It means I am going with you," he announces without sparing a look his way, hands busy adjusting the saddle of Taehyung's horse.

"Oh, no-" comes Taehyung's flustered stutter, truly an endearing sound, "For you to take such trouble - no, it is not at all necessary."

"It is much necessary, for I am not willing to let go of you otherwise," Jungkook states, finally elevating his head to meet his eyes with an unyielding resolution.

He watches as Taehyung steps forward and lifts a hand to tenderly caress the animal in front of him, "I reckon your intentions are most kindly founded," he says softly, "but I shall be happier if you and your horse stayed and found some rest."

"Taehyung," he begins with the hint of a grin that comes from knowing he has won the quarrel even before it has properly started, "How should I find any peace in rest when all I am left to think of is you traveling alone in the dark? No, do not say a thing. I am now entitled to act on my selfish desire to never have you leave in such dangerous conditions."

"Nothing I can ever say will change that obstinate head of yours, but do let me wonder," Taehyung counters as he leaves the horse to stand before Jungkook, a challenge in his eyes, "By the time we reach my destination, let us hope to be perfectly unharmed, will it not be darker, and will you not be in equal danger when we part ways? I believe I shall then be as tormented by concern as you are now."

"Tormented!" he laughs. "There is hardly any reasonable need for you to fret over my safety, dearest. I must assure you I am well acquainted with every nook and cranny of this side of the country, and, if you wish to be impressed, I will have no trouble finding my way back with my eyes closed."

The horror that washes over Taehyung's face upon his words is most entertaining to watch. "For the sake of my poor heart, will you promise me you will not do so precarious a thing as to walk with your eyes closed? I consider myself sufficiently impressed."

Jungkook smiles openly, "For your heart, I promise. Now, let us go."

The journey to the palace is spent in plenty of good spirits and so amiable a conversation that they are able to converse of a mutual desire to live together without much anxiousness. There seems to be an unspoken agreement between them to not sour their shared gaiety by mentioning either the letter or the prince, although Taehyung does imply at some moment or other that with time and patience, he will surely come to understand.

When the magnificence of the palace comes into view, Taehyung insists prudence is imperative at this point, and suggests they head to the smaller gates, the ones mainly used by servants working in the kitchen, which are advantageously hidden near the back entrance. Once there, their time together must come to an end, but their horses stand too close, and none of them seem to have the courage needed to say goodbye first.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" Jungkook gracelessly asks at last, and though he is well aware that so redundant a question should have been spared, he knows not what sort of desperation it would put his mind into had he not uttered it.

"Yes," Taehyung turns his head to face him, eyes more radiant than Jungkook has ever seen them, "but I fear I am not as patient as you are. Will you visit me in my dreams?"

"You have my honest word I will," he promises, losing himself in the brilliance and warmth of the smile Taehyung gifts him.

His horse neighs in annoyance from being pressed next to Taehyung's for so long, but he does not give a care. Every visible expanse of Taehyung's sublime golden skin is now enhanced by the silver light of the moon, and Jungkook feels quite out of breath. It is a sight he wishes he could immortalize and keep to himself to admire at all times, and soon, too much blood rushes to his head rendering his reason powerless. A high sense of precaution makes it necessary to look sideways before deeming their surroundings secure enough and surging forward to capture those lips in a stolen kiss. With great pleasure, he swallows Taehyung's muffled gasp in earnest, and brings a hand to the back of his neck to keep him steady.

"Jungkook!" Taehyung reprimands him right after, a breath apart from his mouth, "You must be mad," he whispers, and to Jungkook's judgment, he is obviously trying to conceal a creeping smile but failing, his expression coming across as too pleased to make his attempted sternness seem convincing.

"Indeed," he whispers back, dazed, "You make me mad."

Jungkook readily leans in to steal another, without so much success this time as Taehyung shies away. "You will get us caught."

A mischevious smile twists his lips. "Such risk must pale in comparison to the torture of leaving and not kissing you goodnight."

To his ears' delight, Taehyung laughs so daintily and quiet that, had he not been so close, he might have resembled the murmur of birds chanting in the distance, "What will become of me at the hands of so infuriatingly charming and careless creature?"

Taking in the marvel of Taehyung's face one last time, Jungkook happily indulges him by answering his question, "I dare say you shall be the happiest and most loved."