Chapter 6

Trouvaille

The overly warm breeze forces Taehyung to undo the first three buttons of his shirt in pursuit of cooling down, and the amethyst decorating the necklace Jungkook gifted him the other day is finally revealed from its confines, glimmering beautifully in the sunlight. He has not taken it off since it was given to him. Taehyung has made it his duty to guard such precious gift well under his shirt, close to his heart, hidden at all times to avoid unwanted inquiries.

As noon approaches, the sun positions itself up high and proud in the cerulean sky, but neither of them seem to notice how precariously fast their limited time together is consuming as they sit on the grass sheltered by the generous shade of a tree. There is a basket of appetizing strawberries placed in the middle of them creating an invisible barrier which prevents their bodies from touching, and while Jungkook is eager to bring a few to his mouth every so often, Taehyung can't bring himself to do the same, for the increasing perturbation of his feelings has left him without appetite.

In the course of the morning, Taehyung has caught Jungkook stealing glances at him - or at some spot around his neck, he cannot be certain - far too many times to count, yet each time it is equally astonishing to witness how obvious the other is about it. Jungkook immediately removes his gaze the moment he feels caught, only to have his eyes back on him again shortly after. Taehyung acts under the pretense of feeling perfectly unaffected by it, but the truth is that such silent admiration, though never uncomfortable, is most puzzling and nerve-whacking.

Unlike what would be expected of a humble farmer, Jungkook is far from being an uncultivated man, and from the presence of the many books scattered all over his house, one could easily deduce he reads plenty and often. Thus, Taehyung guesses his choice of being silent for so long cannot be founded in a lack of topic or intelligence, but in an excess of thinking. Oh, how he longs to know what at the moment is passing his mind! If only Jungkook would grant him with the much needed distraction of an eloquent conversation, he would be easily relieved of the troubles infecting his own mind, at least for a while.

A sigh inevitably escapes him. Bringing his knees to his chest and resting his head atop them, he allows his musings to go astray as he stares plainly at the crimson color of the fruit.

It is not without expectation that he hears Jungkook's worry filled inquiry, "Is there something wrong? These are your favorite," his finger points at the basket full of strawberries, and Taehyung's eyes sweep all the way from his hand, to his arm, to his neck, until they finally settle on his unusually uptight expression. "Yet today you will not try any. Why? What is preventing you from enjoying this fine morning with me, Taehyung?" Not expecting to be tackled with so direct a question, Taehyung swallows thickly, and after a short pause in which he wordlessly stares at him, Jungkook seems to give up on his hope of getting an immediate answer. "I suppose there must be either something wrong with them, or something else eating at your mind which you are unwilling to share."

He aches to be sincere with Jungkook. This itching need to ask for answers and clarify the doubts that implanted deep within his heart has recently brought on a headache he could not escape by sleeping. Therefore, Taehyung resolves it has to be spoken in defiance of whatever the consequences such an openness may bring.

"I am indeed worried," he finally confesses, and he does not fail to notice the way Jungkook's eyes widen slightly for a second too short before he is able to conceal his expression into one of apparent calmness. Unsure in which wording he should expand on the matter, Taehyung straightens his posture and fidgets, brushing at his hair unconsciously. Jungkook gives him an encouraging nod, and it is all he needs to continue, "Since I awoke this morning, I have been perhaps a bit lost in my recollection of the continuous complaints prince Jimin has expressed to me, all of them concerning a lack of enthusiasm in your late replies. Jungkook, your indifference has convinced the prince you have lost all interest in him. It cannot be denied how unfortunate this is, and I wonder why you do not seek to mend this miscommunication."

There is a thick beat of silence in which Jungkook merely stares at him, expressionless and unblinking, and Taehyung is left to the mortifying aftermath of his speaking about their secret affair so freely. Perhaps bringing it up again has been truly unwise. After all, it is natural Jungkook would prefer to remain silent if he felt uneasy about sharing the disturbances of his intimate relations with him, and Taehyung cannot help feeling as intruding as he feared he would.

An apology is on the tip of his tongue when the other calmly answers, "Well, the prince’s assumptions are not in the wrong."

Jungkook's collected expression does not give away any hint of what he means.  Brows drawing together, Taehyung finds himself momentarily lost and asks for clarification, "Whatever is it you mean?"

"I shall be very direct," he announces, "Taehyung, I do not even recall what prince Jimin looks like."

What he says shocks him into silence, but not for long. "You cannot be serious," he blurts out while shaking his head in denial, and no matter how much effort he puts into finding it, there is not a trace of jesting in Jungkook's face. "How could you forget?" he bluntly asks. However, Taehyung quickly notices the tone he used can very well come across as accusatory, and continues to speak in a more reserved manner, "I saw you write to him every day without struggle or pain caused by a failed recollection. Now, I do wonder, did you not visualize him in your mind as you did so?"

"No," Jungkook lets out a sigh of resignation, "I cannot fathom what brought the prince to hold me in this high an esteem, but I feel sure I did not send his way any potentially flirtatious signals when we met." As he tells him this, his bright eyes never leave Taehyung's, and while the latter cannot find dishonesty in them, he will admit his voice does definitely feel distant and emanates no warmth - whatever the reason remains unknown yet. "To tell you the truth, my current situation is comically tragic," he chuckles, and Taehyung frankly wonders where the amusement is, but refrains from interrupting his speech, "I have in my possession a collection of letters from someone I never had an inclination for, and the only excuse I have to not burn or throw them away is you. I simply cannot get rid of so much unnecessary correspondence because you gave them to me."

Taehyung's eyes widen in sheer disbelief, and he chooses to ignore the compliment meant for him in favor of focusing on the offense done to the prince. "You mean to tell me, you have never felt any sort of affection towards prince Jimin, yet you professed a false inclination for him in all of those letters?"

Adding to his already great astonishment, Jungkook is unable to maintain eye contact with him and ducks his head in what appears to be shame. "Certainly, I have erred in such an atrocious way,” he says, and when he lifts his head again he immediately seeks comfort in focusing his gaze somewhere about Taehyung's face, although purposely avoiding his eyes. "However, I might as well clarify it was always you who occupied my mind when I wrote them, not him."

"Not him!”, his cry cannot contain the shock he feels at the moment, it is so acute a feeling he thinks it must be written all over his features. His cheeks have certainly heightened in color, though he knows not what to feel more strongly, the flattering compliment of his confession or the uncivil nature of his acts. Fearing his own inclination for Jungkook has somehow misguided the interpretation of his words, Taehyung endeavors to remain composed. "I am afraid I do not entirely understand why you would think of me at all, but surely you did not intend on writing to him forever, did you?"

After a quiet pause disturbed only by the rustling sound of the leaves and grass swaying with the wind, Jungkook finally dares to venture into his eyes seemingly resolved to give him an answer. "I can never be dishonest with you, Taehyung, not anymore," he gravely admits, and the suspense brought by the seriousness of his complexion provokes Taehyung to become fully aware of the disturbing way his heart clenches impossibly tight within his chest. "Believe me, nothing pains me more than to disappoint you, but indeed, I would have written a thousand letters to him if it meant you would come back to retrieve them, to grace me with the delight of your presence again."

Although his feelings are mixed, not even the passionate fondness Taehyung holds for Jungkook can prevent him from frowning upon the unfolding of his real character. Up until this moment, he could not believe Jungkook capable of so scandalous a behavior. Now, with the shameless confession of his acts, his idea of a respectable, perfectly well natured, most amiable and civil Jungkook slowly fades, and he should be speechless by such a disenchantment, but there is so much he wishes to say about it.

"I can hardly believe it," Taehyung begins in a less tranquil tone. Overcome by a fit of contrary emotions he stands up, and Jungkook, in a haste, mirrors his actions. "You deceived prince Jimin to have me around, and even admitted a desire to continue doing such evil without a hint of remorse!" His words bleed reproach, but his disposition to remain insensitive falters when Jungkook's pained expression reminds him of a child's who has just been reprimanded for eating too much sweet, and he continues in a more willing to be understanding, softer voice, "How can you not see how cruel that is?"

"I see it now," Jungkook hurries to say at the next opportunity of speaking, "I see how much pain the revelation of my questionable actions has inflicted on you, and I detest myself for it. But you cannot say- no, you ought to know my intentions were not evil, at most selfish and driven by a deeper sentiment." In spite of the apologetic intention of Jungkook's speech, Taehyung doesn't think he can endure hearing more of it without bursting into tears, and as he isn't of the disposition to make a scene, he turns around with the purpose of leaving. Almost frantic, Jungkook follows closely behind, and Taehyung does what he can to ignore him, but he hasn't gone beyond the stables when a hand on his wrist forces him to halt. "Please, do not go," Jungkook sounds desperate and in great distress. Taehyung has to clench his eyes shut to control the impulse to comfort him by turning around and cradling his head in his arms. It takes little effort to get his wrist out of his hold, but nothing seems to deter Jungkook's perseverance as he steps forward to block the way by standing in front of him. Taehyung refuses to look at him, for he knows the instant those eyes settle on his he will give into each and every of his demands. "Please, Taehyung, you must listen to me."

"No, I shall not listen to- to a liar," with a sob Taehyung keeps his tears from falling and allows himself to become heated by the unfairness in which prince Jimin's feelings have been considered, or in more fitting phrasing, have not been considered, "A deceiver of hearts, someone who does not give an ounce of care for the poor heart of a good natured man that loves him enough to risk the little freedom he has left!"

"Freedom!" Jungkook repeats with incredulity dripping from his voice. In a badly contained impulse, Jungkook grasps Taehyung's shoulders, and the abrupt contact forces their eyes to meet. "I am sure he has plenty of freedom, whereas you and I can only dream of obtaining a fraction of it. A prince can have anything and anyone he fancies with the flick of his dainty hand!" What he says has no effect on Taehyung, for he understands not even Jungkook can be aware of the miserable reality behind the prince's current situation, nor how much he has put at risk because of him. Jungkook appears determined to get a reaction from him that differs from silence, but as soon as he notices the scowl sent his way, his hands give up their grip on his shoulders and fall limp at his sides. "Listen to me, I beg of you," he insists. Supplication alone shouldn’t make a difference, rather it is the warmth of his brown eyes what softens Taehyung's hardened features and persuades him to listen. "Taehyung, can you truly not see how I suffer? The agony of my heart will find no rest if I do not have you."

Against his own heart's desires, for his heart can never be insensitive to the enticing adulation of his affection - inflated or not, Taehyung regards Jungkook's ardent declaration with an appearance of cold, distant civility. "This agony you speak of appears quite mild to me. How can you be sure you are not deceiving yourself as well, since you have mastered such an art," this he adds dryly, "by thinking what you feel for me is not limited to a terrible infatuation?"

There is some notable reluctance in his countenance before Jungkook takes a step forward, and the augmented closeness leaves Taehyung with no other choice but to look solely at him. "You request of me an impossibility - to explain a feeling so grand no words will do it justice, but I shall endeavor myself to comply. I am deeply ashamed to admit what I did may have not been at all wise, but in my defense I can say the thought of you never coming back if I did not go on with this farce clouded my judgement. Perhaps I sound mad, however it has to be said. From the moment our eyes met, I felt a connection, and I knew you were the person I wished to spend the rest of my life with," Jungkook pauses with the only purpose of bringing his hands up to cup Taehyung's face in the gentlest manner, careful as if wishing not to scare him, eyes glimmering with powerful sincerity and cheeks tinted with a lovely shade of red. Melting into the warmth of his coarse hands much like a touch starved man, Taehyung allows his eyes to close. "You let me witness the similarity of our minds and the purity of your heart, and from then onwards, I knew not how I had endured existence without you before, but I was convinced I would never be happy with anyone else," his voice has lowered to a whisper by now, but the emotional splendor of his words resonates deep within Taehyung. "No one has ever stirred my soul as you do, Taehyung. For this, among many other reasons, I admire and love you."

With such a detailed revelation of feelings, Taehyung feels his behavior has been justified, and the offense done to the prince is forgiven in its entirety. To be cherished with so much fervor is praise of all others most extraordinary, but Taehyung can scarcely rejoice in it before the intensity of the situation succeeds in bringing him to tears. Almost without delay, he feels thumbs caressing his cheeks, seeking to wipe the wetness away, and upon opening his eyes he is able to see with exalted clarity the blessing of Jungkook's face, which he notes is framed by the concern present in the tautness of his eyebrows.

"Why do you weep, angel?” he tenderly inquires, and Taehyung’s heart melts a little more in his favor, if possible. “If I have said anything which offended you, I sincerely beg your forgiveness, although I might very well be undeserving of it." The more Jungkook says, the harder it is for him to contain his tears, and despite longing to speak, he remains silent. Jungkook, beyond doubt fearing his touch is overwhelming Taehyung, looks torn as he retreats his hands from his face, abandoning his heated cheeks to suffer the coldness of their absence. "Please, say something, anything. I cannot stand to see you cry without knowing why any longer."

Once Taehyung has recollected himself and trusts his voice will not betray him disastrously, he attempts to find the right words. “Oh, Jungkook, I...", he is unable to continue further as sudden realization of the inevitable consequences which their being together would arise hits him. It brings to his heart misery too grand to endure, and Taehyung seeks momentary salvation in Jungkook's eyes, but desperate, he rushes to say, “The prince, he- he must never know, it would break his heart."

Jungkook's gaze is kind on him and bleeds the type of patience induced by fondness, "But it has been breaking yours all this time, has it not?" his question ceases to be one when it is uttered with so much certainty, “Taehyung, you love me too, do you not?" 

Taehyung nearly gasps. In any other circumstance, so forward a question would be easily marked as highly pretentious and without doubt frowned upon, but at present, it irremediably urges Taehyung to flush as a terrible wave of abashment washes over him.

"How could you ask me such a thing? I cannot love you,” he hastily replies, regretting every word the very next second as he witnesses the way Jungkook’s face falls.

"If it is true that you do not return my feelings, I cannot imagine why you do not push me away," a sigh escapes him, "Actually, I fear it must be out of compassion towards me, but I assure you I can take the blow of your rejection. I will gladly be hurt by you."

"Oh, no," he vigorously shakes his head, "Even if that was the case, I do not think I should find rest in my sleep with the knowledge that I hurt you in any possible way. Jungkook, it is not my wish to push you away, it is rather an obligation. We cannot be together, he would never forgive me of such treason."

Jungkook's nostrils flare, "I wish to understand your reasoning, I truly do, but I cannot. All I see is for whose commodity you bound your life, and it enrages me. Is it inconceivable for you to forget about what others want and do whatever brings you happiness?"

"It is!" he cries out, "As far as I have memory, my life has been about others. You can scarcely imagine how terribly, how irremediably afraid of walking on the dangerous thread of my own choices I am."

"Taehyung, you shall never walk alone as long as I walk the Earth, however, I will agree it is a challenge - learning to live the life one truly desires," there is so much compassion in the look he gives him, that for a moment Taehyung feels relieved of all anguish. Jungkook clears his throat which seems to be clogged with feeling, and urges to say: "Worry not, for no more will I ask of you to indulge my feelings. You are free to leave if you must."

Torn between what is reasonable and the whims of the heart, Taehyung bites his lip and turns around without uttering a word, and the further he walks away, the greater the agony that assaults his entire being. In the brisk of his escape, for his behavior cannot be named differently without straying from the truth, an errant tear travels across the cold surface of his cheek, and it is at this moment that he experiences the unbearable loss caused by the ghost of Jungkook's hands on his face.

Reason abandons him completely. In a heart wrenching haste, he runs back and comes to stand in front of a very shocked Jungkook. While still breathing harshly, he resolves to speak, "I believe no man deserves to be left without a proper answer to the brave exposition of a most tender affection, therefore, I shall aim to be as sincere as you have been." Taehyung inhales a great deal of air, and despite feeling his face burn to an uncomfortable degree under the zealous observation of Jungkook's radiant eyes, he begins, "In vain I have struggled to deny what my heart so strongly desired and have bent to find excuses not even I could believe - such a thing I cannot do anymore. I believe your words have the power to imprint on my mind with dangerous ease, and today they have convinced me this beast of a sentiment should not be concealed any longer," his voice wavers slightly as a flash of unraveling emotion takes over, "Not only your words, but especially you, Jungkook, haunt me day and night, and I cannot think of anything else as I burn with a desire greater than I can handle. When I close my eyes, I see you in the corners of my mind, and when I leave them open, I am desperate for a glimpse of you. Oh, how mad you make me!" At his exclamation, Jungkook smiles openly at him, and although feeling remarkably faint with embarrassment, Taehyung cannot stop himself from wanting to say more, "I promised myself I would never tell you, but I suppose I am not fit to keep that promise. I love you so ardently, so feverishly my chest hurts from keeping it all in, and I-"

He scarcely sees Jungkook leaning in, but no warning could have prepared him for it. At the unexpected contact of lips on his, the words die down his throat and felicity of the highest quality pools in his stomach readily expanding to the rest of his body. His widened eyes flutter shut as his hands come up to delicately hold the face he so much adores, and Jungkook, emboldened by so positive a reaction, leaves all of his restraint behind to wrap his arms around him. Pulled into the warmth of his chest, Taehyung thinks the slide of their lips together feels unbelievably natural and fulfilling, yet at the same time so exhilarating he cannot get enough of it.

Jungkook's kisses are simply the way he is: determined, kind and generous, while Taehyung, on his part, overflows with innocent love and follows his lead with rapture. Nevertheless, the passion unspent is much too great on both sides and soon the kiss becomes so ferocious that when they finally part Taehyung is robbed of both his breath and speech.

"You cannot imagine how deeply everything you said settles within me, my dearest," Jungkook mutters against his lips, and Taehyung leisurely opens his eyes to a sight he shall never forget: the face of a man devotedly enamored of him.