4 - Denial

A Quantum Leap of Faith
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 4 - Denial

 

 

 

 

 

We ended up in a nearby convenience store just around the corner of the street. I immediately went on to find if they have ice while she disappeared to find a seat for us.

 

Unluckily, I didn’t find any ice. Ugh. I called the staff on the counter asking for it but he said they didn’t have schedule of delivery today. He did pointed at the Frozen Food section and told me it’s the only cold and solid thing they have near ice. Of course.

 

Sigh.  

 

“Oh God I really hope her nose is fine! Such a waste if I broke it…” I mumbled to myself while walking to the way of the Frozen Food section. It was a row of 3 chest freezers, 1 was for Ice Creams, the other one for Frozen Vegetables and Meats, and the last, which is empty, for Ice. I slide open the door for the Frozen Vegetables and saw a small pack of Frozen Mixed Corn & Carrots. I hurriedly took a pack and slid closed the door when my eyes caught sight of the Ice Creams, like jewels shining so bright in front of my eyes. Awww…

 

I wonder if she wants one…

 

“I suddenly craved for Melona…”

 

Just one hehe…

 

With a happy grin I took two Melona flavored ice cream from the freezer and brought it to the counter. I handed the cash to the cashier paying for the items then went on to search for her. I found her sitting behind a table by the far end of the store, away from the eyes of the customers who will come in. She was holding her phone, her face so serious while typing on the screen. What made me burst into a quiet laugh was the sight of the tissue stuffed inside her nose.

 

“Why is she so cute!?”

 

In front of her were two bowls of prepared instant ramyun, a small pack of Kimchi, and 2 bottles of Banana Milk. Wow… this feels like we are having a convenience store date… nice…

 

I better smack my head later. I’m thinking too much.

 

She raised her head and stood up meeting my gaze, flashing me her smile while putting the phone inside her jacket. I handed her the frozen veggies with an apologetic smile. “This is all they have, the staff at the counter said they don’t have any delivery of ice today that’s why yeah… only frozen stuff. Sorry…” I bit my bottom lip after. She took it, bowing awkwardly, her face having that red tinge.

 

“It’s fine! Ummm… this is better than nothing, right?” she said.  

 

“Yeah… I… I also bought Ice cream!” I said with enthusiasm raising the plastic bag for her to see. “Peace offering?” Good luck Krystal. You’re not dealing with your son for God’s sake!

 

There she goes again with her stare. As if she’s reading what’s inside my mind. Am I being so annoying or too pushy?

 

Or do I look like an idiot again?

 

Her eyes… her brown eyes having that soft stare… makes me so curious about what’s going on inside her mind…

 

Is she worrying about me not eating instant ramyun? I mean, it’s my favorite!

 

Jaejae and I buys instant ramyun by the box so no worries!

 

I don’t really like Banana Milk, I prefer the Strawberry flavored one but yeah… I’ll settle with what’s on the table.

 

I eat any Kimchi… as long as it’s not Cucumber kimchi. Eew.

 

The brewing embarrassment inside me quickly dissipated when she chuckled, shaking her head with a mischievous smile and face still red. I released a loud sigh as she took the Ice Cream then motioned for me to sit down on the available seat across her. “Is this a bribe?” she asked.

 

“Hmm… is it too obvious?” I said playfully.

 

“Kind of…”

 

“Is Ice Cream enough for you to forgive me?”

 

“I’ll only issue my forgiveness if you will accept this feast I’m offering you…” she said while motioning her free hand to the food laid on the table as if she is serving me the most delectable dish ever. She has this charm that will make you sigh and admire.

 

“I accept this feast…” I playfully said, even giving her a slight bow.

 

“Well, thank you for accepting my invitation--”

 

“But first, please put that frozen thing on top of the bruise…” I pointed at the pack of frozen veggies on the table which she took immediately, following my orders. “ I don’t want people to think I abused you or something… “

 

“Ah, yeah. Hahaha…”

 

“I mean… I-I-I was the one who cause that but of course it’s an accident…”

 

She placed the frozen pack on top of the bruise, glancing at me for a moment. Her face looks so red… is she okay?

 

Hmmm…

 

I busied myself with checking the ramyun if both are already cooked. I opened the first bowl and placed it in front of Yiyun together with the disposable chopstick that I handed over to her. She mumbled a simple ‘Thank you’ smiling at me, then I opened the lid of the second bowl, the aroma of the food stirring up the hunger inside me. Damn I’m hungry… very hungry.

 

She cleared getting my attention. “Umm… Sorry, that’s all I can offer. I kind of got h-hungry and I thought m-maybe you want something to eat too…” her face showing an embarrassed smile.

 

“Nah, this is fine with me. I love ramyun.” I said with a smile to assure her it’s all okay.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Why do you look so embarrassed? I’m the one who almost broke your nose here. I should be the one to treat you with a meal.”

 

“But it’s my fault too, my presence surprised you that’s why this happened…” she pointed to her face then chuckled. The two of us shared another laugh and started digging in to our simple meal.

 

We talked about the weather and the situation earlier, laughing at our embarrassing selves over a bowl each of Yukgaejang noodles, sharing the Kimchi and at one point we even added Mandu and Kimbap, then had the almost melting Melona as our dessert. I can say that it was a memorable feast.

 

 

It brought me back down to memory lane when my son and I were still living humbly in New York, having a slice each of the cheapest pizza or a subway sandwich as our meal. Lucky if I will have the chance to whip up a home cooked meal because that will mean I earned a little extra from my part-time jobs. We don’t have enough money in our pockets but we were happy. Not that I’m saying we are not happy now, of course we are still happy. I’m glad and grateful to do what I love while being paid a lot. I don’t have any worries now about Jaehyun’s education because I’ve been saving for it, we live in an apartment where I know my son will be safe, plus now I have the capacity to feed my son healthy and delicious foods that I failed to give him back then. Thank God he grew up to be a sweet, smart, and humble boy, I’m so proud of him.   

 

I enjoyed the very simple yet memorable feast Yiyun and I had. Very much.

 

Yiyun was a good conversationalist, smart and funny too. I didn’t even notice the time because we just kept on talking and talking, laughing like high school students who did mischief. The way she talks and carries herself has this sense of simpleness at the same time you will see from her actions and way of talking that she is a decent person with morals. What I like the most about her?

 

Her smiles.

 

Her eyes.

 

Most of all…

 

Her mind.

 

Do you know that feeling of familiarity you feel with someone even though the two of you only met that day?

 

That’s the feeling I felt when I met her. The connection was there, I can feel it.    

 

This stranger… tsk tsk tsk… red flag, Krystal.

 

Red flag.

 

But…

 

Just today…

 

Give me today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So… thank you again.” she said while holding her bicycle. The two of us standing outside the convenience store after our almost 5-hour non-stop talking and eating.

 

I smiled shrugging my shoulders, “You’re welcome. Although, I should be the one to thank you for buying me a feast.” I have my hands inside both front pockets of my blazer, my right hand fidgeting with the key of my car to divert the nervousness and giddiness I feel. Goodness why am I feeling like this?

 

“No problem. I hope you enjoyed it though, it’s the only feast my money can afford.” she said flashing her embarrassed smile. I playfully punches her left arm both of us laughing. “Duh. I enjoyed it. Very much. I told you earlier, I eat anything.” I said.

 

“Except cucumbers…”

 

“Yep, except cucumbers.”

 

“... and spicy foods…”

 

“Uhuh…”

 

“You work in a publishing company…”

 

“You have good memory, Miss Liu.”

 

“And you like chocolate milk…”

 

“You like Boba…”

 

“Yeah. You owe me one.”

 

I bit my bottom lips feeling giddy and shy at the same time. I love this feeling. It’s been a long time since I felt this way before. “Really huh.”

 

Another laugh, another moment of two idiots still standing under the bright lights of the city staring at each other. People passing by minding their own business, not even giving a care to two idiots completely smitten with each other.

 

“You’re 35 with a heart of a 22 year old.” she said with a cheeky smile.

 

I gave her another playful punch that she playfully accepted with a laugh, obviously trying to annoy me. “And you’re 35 too, with a mind of a 10 year old.”

 

“Having a young mind and heart is equals to long life. Remember that Soojung.”

 

“Sure, Yiyun. Remember to drink your painkillers, okay? Or that…” I pointed at the slight bruise on the bridge of her nose cause by the accident earlier “... will hurt really bad tomorrow when you wake up.”

 

“What if I don’t wanna wake up?” she asked.

 

My eyebrows furrowed, asking back a question even though I know what her answer will be. “Why wouldn’t you want to wake up?”

 

“Because meeting you today feels like a dream. A dream that I don’t want to end.” Oh God… that was so…

 

I shook my head with a smile suppressing myself not to giggle by biting my lower lips. Wow. She’s good at this…

 

“That was really smooth of you.”

 

“Damn, I sounded so creepy.”

  

“Yep, creepy too. But still smoot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter