Omurice

I want to see your smile again

The day kept Jeongyeon busy until it was evening again, where like usual, she brought her notepad along to work on her thesis whenever time permitted. Jeongyeon bought a box of omurice for dinner before her shift. 

With each spoonful, she cut into the omelette piece by piece, eating it together with the rice.

She observed the yellow omelette wrapped around fried rice, and was reminded of Sana. She couldn’t help but think of the night before. 

Her shift seemed to feel really long that night. It had become routine for Jeongyeon to expect Sana just like the past few days. There were for sure other frequent customers who came to buy food, ranging from teenagers, working adults, and sometimes drunkards. But Sana was the one who left the strongest impression, especially since they had a conversation.

She glanced at the clock. 10:52PM. It was the time she always came in. Drumming her fingers on the clipboard with the completed stock taking, she glanced at the door with eager eyes. It was only a few minutes of meeting each night, but it became something she looked forward to ever since the night she ate together with Sana. 

 

They only met a few times, as a customer-staff relationship, but she felt the connection. Sana became her night shift acquaintance and filled in the quietness when it became boring. Moreover, it lifted her spirits right at the end of her shift.

But again like the day before, Sana didn’t show up. Jeongyeon took her bag and exited the store, locking the door just as the clocked showed 11:01PM.

Sana had taught her about happiness, even when she might have been unhappy, or had her own struggles to deal with. With the sudden absence, Jeongyeon thought about many possible reasons for her to suddenly show up, and then a few days later she stopped buying food here. Did she fall sick? Will she come tomorrow or in a few days? Or did she not live around here and was only staying temporary?

She wanted to return the favour; she wanted to share her own insights to Sana, or to cheer her up. She wanted to see how Sana’s painting turned out, since she herself was the inspiration for her to add yellow into the dark painting.

 

Jeongyeon wished she could see Sana again.