Tarts

I want to see your smile again

Being alone while waiting for night shift to end made Jeongyeon want to find something fun to do, to entertain herself.

Occasionally, there weren’t a lot of people from 9:30PM onwards and it was just quiet, with no one to say “welcome” and “thank you, please come again” to. Why would many people patron the convenience store at this hour anyway? 

Once in a while, it got boring but since she had some time, and she might as well earn some cash.

This night, she wanted to challenge herself to finish stock-taking in record time. When she finished, she looked at the time. Pleased with her performance, she returned to the counter, plopping down on her seat with a grin.

The bell jingled. Jeongyeon sighed as the grin quickly became a frown.

A customer entered, catching her breath as if she ran here. She was still looking exhausted when she approached the counter, some egg tarts in hand. Upon closer look, Jeongyeon noticed the dark blue hoodie and realized it was the girl from yesterday. This time, she was in a neat low ponytail.

“What are you doing out at this hour?” Jeongyeon asked casually. 

“Ah, I’m just taking a break before I continue working on my art project,” hoodie girl replied. 

“Ohh,” Jeongyeon said as she bagged the egg tarts. “What’s the project about?”

“Hmm,” Sana hesitated before answering. Her expression faltered a little but disappeared quickly. “I’m supposed to paint out how I feel.”