Chapter 1

L _ _ E

It was a normal Monday, except the teacher had listed out a new seating arrangement for the class and asked the students to sit accordingly. 

 

“Our school is not like others where individual studies are emphasized. We have a special program included in it. So, from today’s onwards, you’ll meet your study buddy and revise with them till their grades improve.” He tapped on the table to get everyone’s attention and pointed to the screen with his laser-pen. 

 

After the next few minutes of explanation, he left the class to buzz. 

 

It was, however, awfully quiet between two people in the crowded atmosphere. While the science nerd was still reading up on the notes for the next lesson, her seatmate was dozing off. 

 

As the school bell rang, signaling for the next period to begin, the taller girl eyed the girl towards her left and smiled. 

 

“Well.. She’s cute.” 

 

---

 

Two weeks had passed since the new arrangement was being announced. Several students had already shown improvements in their studies and the others were still catching up. 

 

Feeling worried about her study buddy, JinSoul nudged the still sleeping girl hard and gave her a little slap on her back, earning herself a growl from the annoyed sleepyhead. 

 

“I didn’t sleep well last night. Let me sleep..” The girl was about to go back to her initial position when a few sour candies appeared in front of her eyes. 

 

“For you. I figured you might need it.” The nerd’s face remained stoic for the rest of the lesson. 

 

---

 

The duo was staying back in the library again since one of the girls wasn’t being very corporative during lessons. 

 

“JinSoul-shi.. How do you explain what is the triple point of water again?” A certain owl was almost on the verge of flipping her assignments upside-down when a chuckle next to her could be heard. 

 

“It is a state where all the three states of water exist at the common temperature of 273.16K.” The nerd silently pointed out without complaints. 

 

“Then how about this differential equation.. What’s the integral for this function again?” The student was trying her best to keep up with the various subjects she needed to study before the test next week. 

 

“Here.. This is a copy of my solutions.” Jinsoul gave out a stack of papers with answers all in it. 

 

Amazed, Jungeun fell silent as she accepted the gift from the nerd with humility. 

 

“Thank you. You don’t have to do this though. It’s totally my fault that I didn’t listen in class.” The louder girl shoved her face into her new notes shyly. 

 

“You’re always welcome.” The nerd went back to her studies as the blushing owl took one more look at her before writing on the papers once more.