Four

friendships
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two months passed since the day Kyuhyun assured him that he would make Eunhyuk fall in love with him. You can’t make someone fall in love with you, Donghae believed. But he still wanted to try what he couldn’t possibly make someone do. After all, love makes you do stupid things.

 

Kyuhyun had a long list of plans. The two best friends would hang out every weekend. If Eunhyuk refused to go outside, Donghae would stay with him at home. He was told to be close to Eunhyuk but not to be clingy. According to Kyuhyun, that was a turn off. He had no idea he was trying to turn on Eunhyuk.

 

He was always there for Eunhyuk. That goes without saying. If Eunhyuk was sad, he was there to lift the mood and cheer him up.

 

He was told to never have a fight with Eunhyuk which might lead to them not talking to each other. There were times when he wanted to disagree with Eunhyuk but tried to accept. He didn’t want to lose Eunhyuk. Kyuhyun was right, Eunhyuk was a cautious person. If he’d sense danger, he won’t face it but leave.

 

He even cooked for Eunhyuk. There were cookies and cakes and even lunch. He wasn’t a good cook but the way to a man’s heart is through the stomach. He learned the basics and tried to make the best thing. During this time, he found out that he had a passion for baking.

 

The one thing he liked the most was making Eunhyuk jealous. Not obviously but subtly. It had worked and given Donghae the biggest hope. A boy who liked Donghae had just appeared and tried to ask him out. He had politely rejected but that boy didn’t give up until Eunhyuk told him to step back. Donghae is mine, Eunhyuk had said and he felt like touching the sky.

 

But there were times when those plans backfired. Like when Kyuhyun told Donghae to kiss Eunhyuk and he pouted in front of the boy, earning him a new nickname – piggy.

 

The two of them were already done trying to excite their fangirls. It was a thing of the past. Still, there were rumors about the two of them. Some students even asked him openly if he loved Eunhyuk. In a panic, he had refused and Eunhyuk backed him. That hurt.

 

Donghae told himself that he had to wait. Maybe not immediately but soon enough, they would be together. They were going to the same university and had decided to rent out an apartment together. There were still four years of college to make Eunhyuk fall for him. Sadly, Kyuhyun won’t be there. He was going to another university.

 

It was one of those dates, the dates between best friends as Kyuhyun liked to put it. It wasn’t simply hanging out together but date because both Eunhyuk and Donghae always acted like they were already dating.

 

They were strolling down the street, battling against the heat of the sun. Summer had passed long ago but the piercing rays of the sun were still unbearable. Eunhyuk was dressed smartly, like always, wearing light blue ripped jeans and a flannel purple and white shirt. Donghae was dressed in white pants and oversized sweater he had borrowed from Kyuhyun. He was at Kyuhyun’s place when the younger boy shocked him with the news of Eunhyuk waiting for him. He was wearing an old white shirt with ‘Walking with my desire’ written on it. He refused to go out with Eunhyuk wearing that thing.

 

He was glad Kyuhyun was making so many efforts. If it wasn’t for the boy, he might have just admired Eunhyuk from afar without even trying. Kyuhyun gave him courage and hope.

 

“Which movie are we going to watch?” Donghae asked.

 

“I don’t know. Whichever is rolling.” Eunhyuk shrugged.

 

“Make sure it’s not horror.”

 

“I’ll never make the same mistake again.”

 

Donghae’s reaction to every movie that he watches is extreme. He jumps on his seat with excitement if it’s action, cries if it’s sad, laughs like crazy if it’s a comedy and screams like a if it’s horror. Eunhyuk does not want to deal with the last version of Donghae. It’s the most uncontrollable one.

 

“It’s not like you don’t get scared or anything. If I remember correctly, you were hiding behind the couch when we watched The Exorcist in middle school.”

 

“We were kids. It was a normal reaction.” Eunhyuk tried to defend himself. It was Heechul who had lured them into watching the movie -  a very bad memory. He had nightmares for weeks.

 

“Well, I was sleeping.”

 

“Because you were and are a sleepy head. I’m never going to forgive Heechul hyung for telling you that.”

 

“That’s the best intel I’ve got on you.”

 

Eunhyuk scoffed but smiled.

 

They ended up watching and enjoying an action movie. It was already evening when they were on their way back home. Donghae talked about the mind-blowing action scenes with enthusiasm.

 

“And the car went vroom and just jumped out of the window of the driving seat.” The shorter boy explained.  “That was the best scene in the movie. He shot out like a missile just before the car fell of the cliff.”

 

Eunhyuk tuned out his rant and only nodded every now and then. He wasn’t really listening. They had watched the movie together and there wasn’t anything he was excited after watching it. He only enjoyed watching a child-like Donghae looking extra small in the extra-large sweater, his fringe getting swept by the wind every now and then, as his chattering didn’t stop.

 

It reminded him why he fell for the boy in the past. He had the ability to make you feel happy while just being himself. His innocence and purity were so endearing.

 

But Donghae was too childish at times. He was so busy getting immersed in the world of action that he didn’t even see a man riding a bicycle coming towards him. Donghae might have shaken up his own world as well as the cyclists’ if Eunhyuk hadn’t pulled him at the last minute.

 

Donghae felt a strong tug on his left arm and he collided with Eunhyuk’s lean body. An arm came around his waist as his breath stopped momentarily. Donghae looked up at the boy.

 

“What will you ever do without me?”

 

Smiling sheepishly, Donghae apologized as the danger passed. They walked side by side, Donghae’s talking coming to a complete halt. Eunhyuk was surprised at the sudden silence but didn’t say anything as he held Donghae’s hand protectively as the shorter boy blushed.

 

** **

 

Finals were coming and things were getting a bit hasty. But before that, there was a prom. Donghae was nervous as hell. After planning out perfectly with Kyuhyun, he was going to confess to Eunhyuk on the prom night. Although the taller boy assured him that there was nothing to worry about, Donghae couldn’t help but worry.

 

He wasn’t even sure if Eunhyuk would go with him.

 

“Kyuhyun, what will I do if he refuses to go with me?”

 

“He won’t. Now shut up and let me study.” Kyuhyun reprimanded him.

 

“Study, study and study! That’s all you think about. Are you going to the prom?”

 

“Of course I’m not. I have better things to do. Dad will get angry at me if I don’t perform well. So let me study, please.”

 

“But Kyuhyun…,” Donghae whined but left Kyuhyun to study.

 

Donghae had come to visit Kyuhyun after the date of prom was announced. He was nervous because this was something that they had already planned out. At that time, Kyuhyun had told him not to expect much from him because he will be busy studying. It was also a way of test

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter