Reminiscing

Before We Let Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2019

 

“Request for a certified true copy of my diploma and transcript of records from the registrar’s office”

 

Im Nayeon glanced at her to-do-list for the day before entering Yonsei University’s main entrance. As she scanned her alumni ID, she inhaled the familiar scent of pine trees with a bittersweet smile. It’s been a long time since she returned. Her last visit was two years ago—to renew her alumni ID.

 

Nayeon kept a stoic expression as she walked through the once familiar halls of Yonsei University. As usual, it is jampacked with students who were busy with their personal affairs—many were rushing to their next class, some were talking to their friends, probably on their break time, and others were letting the time fly. As she witnessed a couple holding hands, she avoided them immediately.

 

She has never been in a relationship since she graduated from college. For four years, she dedicated herself to recreating her “high achiever” status in the corporate world, unfortunately, her attempts have always ended in one failure to another. She didn’t have time to date, nor she doesn’t find herself worth pursuing now that she’s probably a hundred steps behind her peers.

 

She strongly believes in things having their own points in time, whether if it’s entering into a relationship, achieving high grades, and succeeding outside the school’s four walls. For her, she was only at her best when she was a student. As for the real world, her time has completely run out. She’s far from the success she was expected to become after graduating Summa Laude, and she wondered if she’ll ever be at her best self again.

 

As Nayeon convinced herself, perhaps being an achiever has its own lifeline. Contrary to what she hears from inspirational talks or spiritual preachings, she doesn’t believe that the greatest fall will amount to an even greater comeback. Perhaps her college self would have been more motivated to do better since she would insist that there will always be a way—but her present self begs to differ. She had her time when she was still a student, her time being an achiever is up.

 

 

“That will be 14,000 won since there’s a 10% service charge for express or rush services. You may get your diploma and transcript by 3:30 p.m. onwards. Thank you!”

 

“Thank you,” Nayeon replied before leaving the alumni corner of the university’s registrar hub. Glancing at her smartphone, she still has four more hours to spare. Since she’s finished with more than half of her pre-employment requirements, she can stroll around Yonsei for the meantime.

 

“I got accepted at The Korea Herald!”

 

“Really? Ohmigosh, you’re amazing!”

 

“Yeah, a lot of our top alumni journalists work there!”

 

“You mean like Choi Sooyoung, Ok Taecyeon, and Im Nayeon? Wow, you’re so lucky, you’ll get to meet those talented alumni turned journalists!”

 

Nayeon chuckled as she overheard the excited conversation of girls, obviously fresh graduates, in the elevator. Yeah, I’ve worked there but I was fired two months ago.

 

The Korea Herald is an English language newspaper that is published daily in Seoul, South Korea. The newspaper’s editorial staff is composed of foreign and Korean writers, editors, photojournalists, and layout artists—all having advanced to native-level proficiency of speaking, reading, and writing in English. It is included in the Asia News Network, a group of leading news organizations from Asia.

 

It was Nayeon’s dream to work for The Korea Herald when she graduated from college. As a result, she made an effort to study English since her freshman year since the news organization requires its staff to possess advanced to native-level proficiency in English, aside from their native Korean. Although she did well in her English classes, her skills weren’t enough to last in the company. Despite her skills in news and feature writing, her English proficiency wasn’t up to their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter