Separating

Before We Let Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2015

Graduating from college is considered the parents’ achievement rather than the graduates themselves. It’s also an important occasion for college students, of course, however, parents and foster parents witnessing their children receive their bachelor’s degree diplomas is the pinnacle for all of the sacrifices exerted over the years. 

As soon as the grades are encoded and the list of graduating students were released, a wave of emotions is prevalent in Yonsei University’s graduating batch. 

Just like what many expected, Nayeon is the only student in the graduating batch who will graduate as Summa Laude. She also received the Yonsei Special Achievement Award (awarded to students who were consistent dean’s listers throughout their college years), Most Outstanding Thesis award, and Korean Community and Society Special Award. It’s not surprising for Nayeon’s batchmates that she will emerge as the top student of the semester, but she was still stunned when she saw her special awards after her name. 

But of course, no one is as proud of Nayeon than Kyungsoo. As soon as he saw the words “Summa Laude” beside her name, she rushed into her dorm room, burst in, and gave her the biggest hug that he can give. 

“I know that you’ll be the batch’s Summa Laude, I’m so proud of you my Nayeon,” Kyungsoo gushed, still enveloping Nayeon in his embrace. 

"I’m Magna Laude," Nayeon joked. Kyungsoo released Nayeon immediately and pinched her harshly on the cheeks, his favorite way of teasing her even when they were still friends. 

“Hey, at least you’re awarded Summa Laude, I’m just Honorable Mention,” Kyungsoo shot back.

Nayeon rolled her eyes at Kyungsoo’s response. Even if she currently holds the highest achievement a college student can receive on her graduation, she still believes that all students, despite the number of awards, are still the same. 

“Mr. ‘Just Honorable Mention,’ not all students are blessed with special awards, okay?” Nayeon said. 

Kyungsoo laughed at Nayeon’s serious expression. His girlfriend tends to take things too seriously at times. “Aigoo, my girlfriend is too serious again! It’s not good for your health,” he replied, pinching her nose. 

 

 

The days that followed are a blur; filled with accomplishing of post-university requirements, graduation rehearsals, and recognition ceremonies. Despite the brewing excitement, Nayeon’s feeling more nervous than ever. Especially that she’ll be the one who will deliver the graduation address.

“No one can use words as beautifully as you Nayeon, you can do it!” Those are the words that constantly came out of Kyungsoo’s lips to assure Nayeon that she will do just fine. 

However, Nayeon’s nerves are more than graduation jitters. Instead of the excitement for the real world, she feels worried for her future. She may be considered as Yonsei’s top student but what if being a “top student” is nothing but a mere title within the four walls of the university?

Whenever Nayeon’s name is mentioned in Yonsei University’s College of Social Sciences, reactions are usually filled with pride, regard, and the occasional envy. In the eyes of her professors and batchmates, she is the perfect student.

And who wouldn’t be jealous of Im Nayeon? She’s an intelligent student, a responsible woman with her strong set of principles, she’s passionate about changing the world, and she’s even in a committed relationship. Who wouldn’t be jealous of Im Nayeon when she has everything? 

Contrary to hope, Nayeon feels fear. What many of her peers don’t understand, even Kyungsoo, despite being an excellent student on his own, is that being the “perfect student” is constantly in a battle of the self. Every assignment, exams, academic papers, and even recitation feels like all or nothin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter