Chapter 2

Black Widow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sehun blinked, his eyebrows arching heavenward, but other than that, he betrayed no expression.  Keeping his face carefully blank, he glanced at his hyung, who was looking at him with the same guarded expression.  “You are…“Haunted, madam?” he inquired politely.

“I’m afraid so, sir,” you answered firmly.  

“Would you care to explain?” Junmyeon asked.

“Would it be possible to do so in an atmosphere less...oppressive?” you asked, looking about the darkened room in seeming trepidation.

“Of course, dear lady,” Sehun said with alacrity, stepping forward and offering his arm with a small bow.

“I am ever so grateful to you, sir,” you said softly, slipping your hand around his firm arm, and leaning slightly.  “I fear that these dreadful occurrences take a lot out of me.”

“I can imagine,” Junmyeon murmured, sending a meaningful look over your head at his brother.

Yet, Sehun was unable to catch the glance from brother’s eye--his full concentration was cast downward, in rapt attention to your dark clad figure.  “Would you care for a cup of tea, Mrs. X?” he asked, as he led you into their parlor, to the nearest chair.

“That would be lovely, thank you,” you answered, gracefully sinking into the chair while looking up into his concerned face as he leaned solicitously over you.

Sehun found himself arrested by the shining mystery of your eyes, and it was only after Junmyeon surreptitiously cleared his throat that Sehun remembered to straighten.  “Ah...yes...the tea…” he murmured, walking over to the bell pull to alert Lee.

Meanwhile, Junmyeon smiled as he sat in a chair across from you, easily drawing you into a light conversation about the weather as the three of you waited--not long--for Lee to show.

Upon Lee's arrival, Sehun quickly made his request for tea and a few treats on which to nibble, with one in particular that he thought --with a surreptitious glance at you--would go over especially well.  Lee bowed deeply, but not before a raised eyebrow and once-over of Sehun’s attire.

Looking down, Sehun stifled an imprecation, clumsily ripping off the dark makeshift robe, his cheeks burning as he risked a glance back to ensure that you hadn’t noticed.  You hadn’t, and while your attention was taken with Junmyeon’s charming observations about the density of the London fog, Sehun oriented the full force of his attention toward observing you.  

Your voice was dulcet, the consonants crisp, and the vowels round, denoting a fine, classical upbringing--though, as he listened more carefully, he noted the accent wasn’t quite the cut crystal tones of London, but softer, more lyrical.  He couldn’t quite place it, but smiled to himself when he realized that he would invariably have to talk with you more to be able to pinpoint the approximate location.

Your thick, rich hair was pulled up in a stylish braid atop your crown, with ringlets charmingly resting over your clear, noble forehead.  No combs or other ornamentation graced your hair, aside from the smallest ebony headpiece perched atop your braid--an attached black veil swooping gracefully down your back like a morbid waterfall. 

Simple jet teardrops graced your delicate ears, and your dress was silk crape, he noted, as opposed to the less expensive bombazine.  Given the colour of your attire, as well as the length of your veil, he deduced that your husband had died within the last year. You wore no other jewelry, aside from a slender gold wedding band, cleverly wrought to look like a snake--the symbol of eternity.

Involuntarily, he shuddered.

Just then Lee entered with a tray, and Sehun looked over it, smiling as he found everything to be in order.  Sauntering over to the chair beside where you were perched, Sehun gracefully lowered himself, indicating to Lee that he should leave the tray on the small, elegantly wrought cherrywood table between the three of you.  "I'm afraid that you must forgive our rather unorthodox service. Sehun leaned toward you, then, an air of conspiratorial mirth in his slight smile. "As two bachelors, we hardly have the wherewithal to stay abreast of the finer points of the social niceties."

"I must confess, I rather like the informality," you answered easily. 

Looking first at Junmyeon, and then you, Sehun lifted the fine porcelain teapot.  “Shall I be mother?”

“Please, do,” Junmyeon answered smoothly, desperately trying to hide a grin.  His little brother, as much as he loved him, had never been this solicitous a day in his life. 

After pouring first for Junmyeon--who always took his tea black—Sehun began to pour for you, stopping after a moment to incline his head in question. “Do you take it strong or weak?”

“Strong, please.  I like to know what I’m drinking.”

With a secret smile, Sehun poured a bit more before asking, “Milk, sugar, or lemon?”

“Lemon and sugar, please,” you murmured, watching as the dark, aromatic tea filled the cup.  “You must forgive me, but I fear that I have a bit of a sweet tooth.”

“As do I,” Sehun smiled, the tongs hovering over the sugar bowl.  “Three?”

“Just so,” you said, dimpling back at him.

“I hope that I’m not being presumptuous,” Sehun started as he stirred the steaming cup of rich tea, before adding a thin slice of tart lemon, and handing the cup to you, “But, considering the distressing nature of our first meeting, I asked Lee to bring a little something that I thought you might particularly enjoy.” 

“Oh?” you answered, raising a polite eyebrow as you relieved him of the delicate china.

“Indeed,” Sehun rejoined as, with a flourish, he opened a silver lid to expose a dish of pale green ice cream.

“Oh!” you exclaimed, quickly putting down your tea to artlessly clap your hands in happiness.  “Ice cream! Oh, what flavor is it?!”

“Cucumber,” Sehun said, his heart warming at your childish delight.  “Here you are,” he said, lifting and handing you the little silver dish full of the rare dessert. 

“We always have the cook add extra ginger brandy,” Sehun warned as he watched you take the elegant little silver spoon, dip it into the still-firm globe of decadent chilled cream.  He watched as, with a little nod of understanding, you slid the spoon into your mouth, your eyes closing in gustatory bliss. 

“It’s wonderful,” you breathed, opening your eyes to look directly into his.

Junmyeon cleared his throat, and Sehun blinked with a slight start as he realized that he was staring at you with dreamy consideration.  Feeling his face warm, he took refuge in his own cup of tea, adding sugar before taking a large, what turned out to be scalding sip. He betrayed no expression, even as he felt the hot liquid steaming its way down his throat. 

“Sehun?” Junmyeon said carefully, a concerned expression on his face.

Sehun gave him a tight smile.  “I’m fine, hyung,” he said, answering his brother’s unanswered question, his voice raspy.  He swallowed, pitched it lower in a bid to play off the slight injury. “So, Mrs. X…how may we help you?”

This time, your face was decidedly downcast as you dipped your sad little spoon into the ice cream.  “Mr. Oh…I hardly know where to begin.”

“Take your time, Mrs. X,” Junmyeon said solicitously.  “There’s no rush.”

Putting down your spoon, you took a fortifying sip of your tea.  “My husband and I weren’t married for very long when he was taken—a mere two years.  It was arranged by our parents, but he was a good man, and he loved me very much.”

“How did…” Junmyeon started delicately.

“It was an accident,” you answered.  “He fell from his horse whilst riding.”

“A tragedy,” Junmyeon murmured dutifully. 

“After he was gone, I started to notice small things…a brush would be…not quite where I laid it—a small piece of jewelry would disappear, only to reappear sometime later in some odd place—that sort of thing.  Over time, these occurrences grew, both in frequency and severity. What you saw here tonight was nothing—nothing! Each day, he grows stronger—more violent!”

“How…do you know that it’s him?” Sehun asked hesitantly.

“Aside from the timing?” you answered, “I’ve…heard things…whispers in the night, and…” you subsided, uncertainty suffusing your features. 

“And?” Sehun led.

You shook your head.  “You will think me mad,” you demurred, convulsively twisting a black cambric handkerchief.

“I guarantee you that we have seen and heard it all, madam,” Junmyeon assured you.

“I…have seen him,” you whispered, your eyes wide and desperate. 

“Go on,” Sehun encouraged.

“I’m not the only one…he has also appeared to my brother.”

“Oh?” Junmyeon asked mildly, his eyebrows rising in curiosity as he calmly sipped his tea. 

“Yes.  My older brother Albert moved in upon his death, to provide comfort and protection.  I hardly need tell you how cruel the world can be to a woman on her own.”

“Why didn’t you return to the home of your parents?” Junmyeon asked carefully.

Sehun watched as you coloured. 

“They…died…soon after the wedding.  I fear that, aside from my brother, I am all alone in this world.”  Your voice was mournful.

“Not…entirely alone, I think,” Sehun said staunchly.  “Now you have us, dear lady.” He didn’t miss his hyung’s pointed expression—merely ignored it.

Clasping your hands in your lap, you bowed your head.  “Thank you, kind sirs,” you murmured, your voice barely above a whisper.  “I confess, I do not in the least understand what is happening. In life, my husband was the most solicitous man that you could ever meet.  Yet, in death, he torments me!”

“Worry no longer, madam,” Sehun said, his tone comforting.  “We will soon come to the bottom of this. This manifestation could be any number of things, none of which change your late husband’s love for you.”

“Thank you, sir,” you whispered hoarsely.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter