two

Perception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

There was a thing that Dahyun haven't told Chaeyoung about.

Right then she was walking down a street, one hand tucked into her pocket in the seek of warmth as the cold wind blew against her cheeks, the lone message of a person showing on her cellphone screen as she looked at it sighing. Dahyun didn't let it show, but she was really worried, almost tired of worrying too much.

Maybe going out wasn't a good idea, it was almost three am when she pushed her phone into her pocket again, finally getting in the place she was walking to.

The emptiness of the sorrow she was feeling, the concern of an unknown future. Dahyun is such a bright person but in that hour of the night, her attempts were being betrayed by her as she slipped through a crowd to sit on a stool by the bar. That was it, Kim Dahyun, 22, was an employee on a small journalism company that was just looking for an opportunity to rise in life, she had a singular life with her roommate and almost didn't leave the apartment except for the days she goes away to lift some weight of her shoulders by the alcohol supply she finds on the local bar by the end of the road.

Many people were there that day so the sound was loud, upbeat and cheerful enough for people to dance along. She only spares a smile to the bartender that serves her quickly, watching as Dahyun slowly dived into the shot.

Flashing lights through the glass panels on the bar reflected into her gaze when she lifted her head up to take a look at her sides and see that she wasn't better than anyone and no one was better than her since they seemed to, as much as her, seek for something in the end of a bottle or on the turn of a cup.

There were many pretty people there as she could recall, maybe it was a celebration or something because she heard about two or three cheers but didn't mind to pay enough attention.

Besides that, nothing much happened that night on the bar. Dahyun sat there and locked her eyes on a nearby television for the past time while people around her seemed to mind their own business, seeming more and more distant by the crack of a laugh or of loud conversations that took part in the easy way that the sound travels to her. She doesn't get drunk that easily but when she does, it's hard to process. Dahyun knew she wasn't much sober the moment she tried to get up and almost didn't move, all she drank there added to the wine she had drank at home and now she is in ecstasy in the inside but conscious enough that she is in trouble for getting too much alcohol in her system. The bartender even asked if she was fine but Dahyun affirmed she would get home with no problem even if she just spent some time mostly drinking.

The front door seemed far than ever but she managed to push it open just for the lights of the dawn to get into her eyes as she closed them with might, putting her hand on the wall by her side as the door of the place closed behind her.

She wanted to think that it was all great but her feet were betraying her little by little as she walked the first meter with certain lack of direction, going more to her right side and on the direction of the road than forward.

Her heart jumped when all of a sudden the loud noise of a car alarm broke the silence. Her ears buzzed because it seemed very near and she almost didn't realize that the car buzzing was one she had just put her weight on, her arm dramatically placed by the passenger's door.

"Oh, I'm sorry" Dahyun said but to no one in particular, patting the car as she stood up and finally stayed in balance.

"Give me a break" A voice erupted behind her, sounding kind of annoyed but at the same time spent.

A somewhat tall woman was putting sunglasses and just pressed the button of a small controller on her hand that made the car alarm stop.

"Sorry" Dahyun said stepping away lazily, trying her best to stay put and go through.

"It's fine" The woman said, pushing her dark hair back.

Dahyun looked away to the direction of her place.

"I'll just go then" She said nonetheless since the other was still there, looking between Dahyun and what seemed to be her car. Actually, she was still there because she wanted to see if the drunken woman in front of her that she just met was going to do anything harmful to her car or herself.

"Do you need some help?" The woman then asked.

Dahyun knows better than taking strangers for granted.

"I'm fine." She told with a silly smile. The woman didn't flinch but if only Dahyun knew.

So Dahyun walks forward, light steps, she only looks back once and could see that the woman was accompanied by two other women now and they didn't seem to mind her as she walked further and further away.

...

Chaeyoung wakes with a pain in the back, sleeping on the couch wasn't one of the best ideas. The first thing she notices is the lack of Dahyun around but she just assumes that the other is in bed already.

She sits, stretching her arms as she looks at the hour on the wall clock, she knew the sun was already coming up and she had just a few hours to go to her morning shift, so she thought of laying down again but ended up just sitting on the couch and looking at the ceiling, her thoughts converging to a certain conversation she had earlier with her roommate that lead to a certain someone trying to take over her mind.

...

Dahyun reaches the door easily; to that part, she was kind of more sober with the cold breeze of the streets. However, her hand stops on the doorknob, a sudden rush of thoughts erupting her mind, like everything she wanted to forget was now coming up all together. So she let her hand fall and reached for her cellphone, a loud sniff indicates she is on the verge of crying when she reads the message again flashing on the screen.

"Nayeon: I heard you were fired... I'm so sorry"

Dahyun was trying to figure out what she'll do about it, she thought a lot about if her feelings are more from anger or sadness.

All her money went to the hole after that night, well, at least the amount she had with her. That left just her spare money and the money the company would pay her and that would be enough to pay rent for about two months and general things but then later that's it, she has nothing else.

...

Chaeyoung gets up, thinking that all she wanted was vacations because working early is exhaustive. When she was about to cross the hallway Dahyun opened the main door, the cracking noise of it filling the house as it echoed. Chaeyoung was a bit surprised, her heart jumped but she looked back to the bit of darkness still reigning and saw as Dahyun's hair cascaded on her face as she got support from the wall to stay up, as she seemed to come up with a direction.

"What are you doing?" Chaeyoung asked getting back.

"You're drunk." She affirmed, almost rolling her eyes.

"I sure am" Dahyun said.

"And you didn't even call me"

"Didn't want to bother" Dahyun said opening her arms for Chaeyoung to help her.

They walked messily to the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter