one

Perception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night was falling, it evoked the best and worst of the city to go outside, Chaeyoung was just getting out of a building and going back to work at that hour. She stepped on the streets while counting the money on her hands, making sure it was right before putting her helmet on and hopping on the motorcycle, other deliveries had to be made and that time was rush hour so she had to be fast since people usually complain a lot when their food takes too long to arrive.

Son Chaeyoung, 21, is a regular person. She works as a food delivery driver for a local restaurant simply to pay the bills. The time she passes going through the streets of the night city made clear the ways to go, the paths to follow, and the dynamics of the place.

It was about the middle of her shift, she had to go back to the restaurant where she could already predict that more and more deliveries had to be made.

'It's probably dinner time' She thought stopping her motorcycle and looking at the sky in thought, taking her phone out of her pocket for confirmation and indeed it was. She then proceeded to park the vehicle on the parking lot behind the restaurant and took out her helmet, messing with her short hair a bit by the wind, just then to get into the kitchen by the employees' door.

It was pretty much like that every day, or at least every weekday she has to work, she grabs her lunch and sits on a bench at the parking lot not much away from the backdoor, alone, waiting for time to pass and start delivering again. She puts her helmet on the floor by her side, her hands are cold as she grabs her sandwich of her bag and takes a bite, its start to turn into winter. After a few minutes, the loud noise of the employees' door opening calls her attention.

"Hey Chaeyoung, can you go in like, five minutes?" A colleague that works in the kitchen asked her. Chaeyoung quickly swallowed part of her dinner.

"Okay" She answered back, picking up her helmet and putting on the bench by her side.

After about three minutes, she was ready to go again, picking up the deliveries and packing them on her motorcycle. She works there for about a year now, coming and going as she could.

When she was about to put her helmet on, a noise struck behind her. Chaeyoung turned back quickly and not too much far from her, a woman had just dropped on the floor one of the trash bags she was holding.

A tall woman, that looked extremely distressed.

"Do you need help?" Chaeyoung said loudly, she thought it was better to ask than just get in the other's business. The woman just nodded, not looking at Chaeyoung's direction too much, grabbing firmly the other trash bag while Chaeyoung approached and picked the one she dropped, they were heavy, and then leaded the way to the nearest trashcan behind the restaurant. The short path was silent; there wasn't much to talk about.

"Thank you" The other simply said, not staring at her and walking away, going back in again like it never happened.

Chaeyoung knew who that was, or better she couldn't say that, because she only knew the girl's name.

Chou Tzuyu, 21, is a simple person. She worked in a local restaurant, sometimes serving tables or in the kitchen, she was in the job for about three months now but is still getting used to it.

That is what Chaeyoung thinks anyways.

Finally noticing her delay, she put her helmet at ease and hopped on her motorcycle, the loud noise of the engine filling the corner of the street as she speed up as fast as she could.

...

Getting home was relieving. Chaeyoung lived on a apartment, it wasn't much of a big place, it had a simple living room with a couch and an old TV, two bedrooms, one bathroom and one kitchen, it was enough for her and especially for the money she makes monthly. The walls of the living room were occupied by art, from small to big paintings of various artists here and there in a way Chaeyoung likes to think as harmonic.

She got right into her room, where the only art lying around was hers, on the walls, on the furniture and spread on the floor, on an easel ready to be finished.

Chaeyoung's life was modest, since she has her job and lives well, nothing much unusual happens to her. If anything, she is a woman with a peculiar taste for things, from music to paintings, her senses guides her to the mostly abstract of those. To the ones that struck her heart better, as she tells.

After a while, she was on the living room, watching TV and playing on her cellphone. The front door of her apartment was outrageously slammed shut suddenly, giving her quite a scare. She only calmed down because her brain was quick to associate the noise as the presence of her roommate.

"I'm home" Kim Dahyun nonetheless said when she reached the living room, hands occupied by two large paper bags with what Chaeyoung thought as groceries. As for the latter, she looked at her roommate not caring too much and resumed her attention to her cellphone.

"Help me" Dahyun dramatically pleaded.

Chaeyoung moved and took one bag for them to head to the kitchen.

"You're late today"

The kitchen clock struck midnight as Chaeyoung said that.

"Bad traffic" Dahyun simply answered, washing her hands to start packing things in the fridge and cabinets.

"I know, I saw it, just saying" Chaeyoung said taking off the groceries and putting over the kitchen counter.

"How was work today?" Dahyun asked.

A brief image of a pretty woman taking the trash out came into Chaeyoung's mind.

"The usual" She said shrugging her shoulders.

Dahyun was quiet, preparing her food after such a hard working day, going from side to side of their small kitchen. Chaeyoung was used to it, to the normality of their dynamics, she also prepared some food since she knew sleep wasn't going to come any time soon for the both of them.

...

In some lone mornings, Dahyun goes to work with her.

"She's pretty." Dahyun said in a whisper near Chaeyoung's ear.

It had happened about a month after Tzuyu started working there that Dahyun noticed Chaeyoung staring at her. The friendly duo was at a table near the counter, Chaeyoung waiting for her shift to start while her friend eats breakfast before going to work.

Chaeyoung smiled to Dahyun, trying not to show anything else than agreement.

"Do you talk with her?"

Chaeyoung wondered about that question and the whole term around the word 'talk'. She surely talked with Tzuyu once or twice, but not really talked with her as her friend thinks.

"Not really, she isn't much of a talker for what I can tell, and besides, I don't spend enough time in here."

The younger said. At that moment, Tzuyu just got out of her sight, entering the kitchen.

...

Moreover, this is how it begun.

Later on Dahyun was long gone and Chaeyoung was o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter