Chapter 2

A Nerd Like Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cafeteria 


"Mina, why are you not eating? Is today's food taste bad?" nayeon asked as she was worried about Mina. She looks dispirited after meeting with that man, she thought.


"No, this food tastes great.. But I think I just lost my appetite, that's all" 


"Say, is that man from earlier is your friend? He's kinda cute with that hairstyle.. Eventhough he is a geek, but i'm sure he is in the 1st class though" sana said  flirtatiously.


"He... He is my friend" mina hold tightly the bench that she was sitting on as she herself doesn't know if they're still a friend or not.


"Minari, i don't know if i have the right to say this but i think you shouldn't ever abandon a friend like him. I have talked to him and at that time he was waiting for you for an hour that he once fell asleep by the entrance's door" momo stated.


"..."


"Mina yaa.. I noticed that lately you're always together with us. We're so glad for that but if you're neglecting your other friends because of us i don't think that's a right decision.. You haven't spend your time with him for a long time now, am i right?" jihyo asked, staring directly into her eyes.


A sense of guilt suddenly enveloped her and she knew she ed up with him so bad.


"Shh, it's okay, let it all out.. You should sort out your feelings babe. If you think your decision is right then you have our supports" jihyo assured her. And so, Mina kept on crying until the end of their recess.


'I was making the right decision, am I?' she asked herself and felt doubted a bit before she shrugged off the thought.

.


.


.


After the recess, Mina's subject had to be held in music room that happened to be on the same floor as Jeongyeon's class. On the way to their music class, jeongyeon suddenly climbed down the stairs and met Mina and her members by coincidence. He stopped his walk and eyed her for a while before he walked passed her like she doesn't exist at all. She could see that his eyes were red and puffed than earlier. Mina was about to reach for his hand but he straightly went into his classroom. Her heart was somehow sank after jeongyeon acted that way to her.


.


.


.


It's been two weeks since their last fight. For sure, it was their biggest and worst fight that had happened in their life. Mina was trying to talk to him on the next day but Jeongyeon has vanished from school since the day they fought. His classmates said he had gone after their recess the other day. No one knows his whereabout and the reason he had gone. When she asked his homeroom teacher, he had promised jeongyeon not to tell anybody and so he didn't tell Mina about Jeongyeon's whereabout.


On the first week of his missing, Mina was still communicate with her friends like she usually does. Laughing, teasing and pranking her classmates without feeling guilty. But, on the second week, she felt something was off and she doesn't know what is even bothering her. Even though she is happy with her classmates, the happiness didn't stay long as she always have mood swings afterwards.


"Now that I thought about it, why do you think i'm behaving this way? I felt like I was missing something"


"Aren't you really missing something or perhaps someone?" momo asked.


"What do you mean Momo?"


"You missed him, am i right?"


At the mention of him, she knew that momo was talking about jeongyeon. Her face slowly grew dark and serious. She never expect this topic coming from Momo's mouth because why Momo did ever mention about jeongyeon when she doesn't even know him. 


"It's nothing about him and we have talked about this right? And please don't mention his name in front of me"


"Yeaa it's NOTHING about him.. You can fool others but not me.. I can see the loneliness in your eyes.. You're missing him.. Probably, loving him too"

 

"Stop. It. I will never fall in love with a nerd like him" mina firmly answered and was about to walk away when momo's talk made her stopped right away.


"Are you sure?"


"Yes.. Why do you ask?"


"Then, can he be mine?"


Mina fell silent for a minute and still doesn't answer Momo as the sudden news was really shocking her. 


"Mina? Do you hear me?"


"Suit yourself.. He's got nothing to do with me anymore"


.


.

 

'How can i do not know that Momo was in love with him? No wonder she is always smiling for the past weeks. And for how long did they knew each other by right now?


.


.


Mina's home


Mina was finally got to lay down on her bed and have a thought to take a nap when Momo's words suddenly played on her mind and prevent her from getting any sleep.


I shouldn't think about him but why is he always in my mind?' she thought and feel jealous somehow before she slowly drifted off to sleep.


3.00 a.m.


Mina suddenly woke up from her sleep as she had a bad dream. But, she's not dreaming of monsters or ghosts. She had a dreamed of her ex-bestfriend was going out with Momo in the restaurant that she and Jeongyeon always eat. In the dream, Jeongyeon was acting sweetly to Momo, the same act that he usually does when he was with Mina. At the end of her dream, she saw Momo and Jeongyeon were about to kiss each other when she suddenly bolted towards them and ruined their moments freely and that's why she woke up in the midnight.


"No, Momo can't be with him.. She's .. she's deserves better" mina thought as she doesn't want to accept her true feelings. She kept her eyes closed again and get rid off the thought.

.

.

.


Lunch


"Yaa Momo.. Why are you not eating the food huh? This is not like you.. Are you okay and why are you always smiling at your phone?" nayeon asked concernly.


"Nothing, nayeonnie.."


"Oh, i know that smile. Heol.. Do you have a boyfriend?!" sana interrupted and gasped, made all of her group members turned their heads instantly towards Momo.


"N-noo, t-that's not it. H-he is not my boyfriend.. He is just my friend right now"


"Woahh, right now? Do you planned of dating him?" sana asked.


Momo took a glance at Mina before answering Sana's question.


"Maybe.. If he asked me out first"


"Do we know him?" out of curiousity, jihyo asked her too.


"Barely know him, i guess.. He will come back to this school next week and i thought of introducing him to you guys. And, you all have met him once"


Momo put down her phone on the table and  answered all of her friends's question about the mysterious man. Mina who sit beside her accidentally saw Momo's chat with Jeongyeon as Momo forgot to switch off her phone. In the chat, Jeongyeon has sent a selca to Momo, while Mina was unconciously staring at him with lovely eyes. She was about to form a smile but was stopped when the caption on the selca caught her eyes.


"Thank you for the scarf. It was so cold out here and this scarf really keeps me warm. Thank you, momo yaa <3"


.


.


.


Mina pov 

 

What's with the love at the end of the chat? Does he know that Momo will be misunderstanding by his message? He told me that he will never use it on other woman except me and his mother. And the scarf.. I have knitted one for him too.


.

.

.


Flashback


2 years ago


"Jeongyeon ah.. I have prepared a present for you. It was nothing much, but i hope you will like it"


"Really? What is it?" he asked with sparkling eyes.


"Close your eyes first"


"Do i need to do that?"


"Uhm!" mina hummed and jeongyeon obeyed her request without further questions.


'She's cute' he thought.


Mina slowly wrapped the scarf that she knitted by herself around his neck and tapped his shoulders lightly when she's done.


"Done! You can open your eyes"


"Woaah, did you knit this by yourself?"


"Uhm!" she answered shortly.


"Really? Then, i promise i will wear this scarf whenever i felt cold"


And he did.. He wore the scarf that I gave him whenever winter comes around even though it already looks shabby and old. He keeps saying that it feel comfortable than other scarfs and he will use it until he gets old. But now, he's changed? And why is my heart ached at the thought of his change? 


End of pov 


.


.


.


A few days later 

 

Mina was slowly defeated by her own feelings as each day passed by, she kept missing jeongyeon even more especially after she seen Momo's chat the other day. She truly felt guilty and regret by her rush decisions that lead to their big fight. Little did she know, she was making the stupid decisions is because she wanted to keep jeongyeon away from her before her feelings was growing stronger for him. 


And it was started because of the near kiss accident.


Mina was feeling off when there is no morning text from him even though she tried to call and text him a message. 


'Huh, he doesn't reply my message yet.. and again' she sighed defeatedly.

'We need to talk soon, jeongyeon ah..'


She admitted that she missed all of the attention that he gave to her since they were a kid. Unfortunately, all of it now remained as a memories in her head.


.


.


.


Next Wednesday


Mina was getting thinner than she already is. Her cheeks were a bit crooked inwards and people can see her arms was like a bone only. Whenever she went home, she doesn't want to eat the food that her mom cooked for her since her appetite was gone so she's only eating once a day, during their lunch at school. 


When she was about to return to her class, she caught a glimpse of someone that looks like jeongyeon at the end corner of stairs. She walked faster and follow the person warily until he reached his class. Indeed, it was Jeongyeon's class that he got into.


But, the sight in front of her crunched her heart into pieces. Jeongyeon was hugging another woman affectionately before her very own eyes. When the woman turned around, Mina finally could see her face and smiled faintly. 


'Momo' and so mina walked away from there.


.


.


.


5.00 p.m.


As soon as the teacher went out from their classroom, Mina packed her things immediately into her bag, not minding to arrange it first. She stand on her feet and dashed towards the place where she usually meet jeongyeon as they'll go home together. That is what she wished for.


'He can't be here yet right? I was early for today' she thought, feeling anticipated to meet him.


.


.


.


"Mina, you're still not going home? Do you need us to accompany you?" her classmates who happened to be there asked her concernly.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter