Chapter 1

A Nerd Like Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13 years ago


There were a lot of kids that loves to play in the playground. The place was filled with children's laughter and cry as there were some of them enjoyed playing the public facilities, while a few of them were crying because of their injury while running around. However, among all of them, there was a pair of a boy and a girl who play quietly side by side, building a sand castle together.


"Mina yaa.. Do you love being friend with me?"


"Uhm! Being friend with you is best"


"Then, do you want to be my friend forever?" the little boy was asking her eagerly.


"Uhm yes! I want to be your friend forever, jeong"


Jeongyeon's eyes were sparkled up instantly. He is so excited by hearing mina's answer so he decided to ask her one more question.


"Would you want to marry me then?"


"Uhmm, no! We're still a kid, so we can't marry each other"


"If we're older enough, would you want to marry me?"


"Hmm sure! I would love to!"


"Promise?" he asked while showing his pinky finger to her.


"Promise" she answered shortly 


"Let's be friends until we're older!"


"Deal!"


.


.


.


Present


Jeongyeon pov


I made that promise huh? Tch, it was so embarassing of me for asking her that question when we were a kid. Pabo jeongyeon! Propose to your bestfriend is kinda weird too! I can't imagine if she is my wife in the future.. Maybe i will always get beat up by her.


End of pov


.


.


It is a day where school have started in the early year. Most of the students with a new set of school uniform have arrived in the school early with a big smile on their faces just to meet their longing friends. Almost all of them had a boring life throughout their holiday in the past year, so they kind of missed their friends more than ever, not to be exclude, Jeongyeon and Mina.

 

Mina is a smart girl since she was a kid and miraculously she got to be in the same grade as Jeongyeon, who is actually a year older than her. Because of her ingenuity, she is in the first class in school and jeongyeon is in the second. It is not that Jeongyeon is less smarter than her, but it just Mina is such a hardworking person to achieve what she got now.

 

Jeongyeon and Mina are live in the same neighbourhood since they were a kid, basically a neighbour as they live next door to each other. Jeongyeon being a good friend of her, always accompany her to wherever she wanted to go without complaining, mostly to the arcade to play a few games together.


.


.


'School have started and here comes the hell of my life.. But nevermind that, finally I got to meet Mina today after a long time of holiday. The hometown was great, but i kinda missed her somehow' he sighed.

 

Jeongyeon lazily grabbed his cellphone on the bedside table and type a message to his only friend in school, none other than penguin Mina. And that is because he is seen as a nerd in everyone's eyes not to be excluded, Mina. Eventhough she is a friend of him since they were a kid, but she doesn't know a lot of things about him as Jeongyeon always kept a secret from her. The only one who knows his secret are his three juniors that he considered them as his little brothers, the school meal club.

 

Little did she know, jeongyeon is actually a normal person like others, which mean he is not a nerd at all. He just pretend to be a nerd is because of Mina, since he doesn't want her to feel uncomfortable with his presence. Mina is a very shy person in Jeongyeon's eyes, especially when she is around men and he knew that. So by being a nerd, Mina got to communicate with him without feeling a burden in her shoulders whenever she talked to him.


Because of Mina is usually a home person, Jeongyeon have used this chance well to hang out with Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu after school, wearing a casual outfits like others. But whenever he was with Mina, he will dressed up as a nerd, wore a spectacles and his hair was styled as a coconut style. 


Even the other students in the school wouldn't be able to recognize him as his looks is completely different when he is outside. His face is more to a mature and handsome looking, and his body tend to look muscular than ever. Every women who look at him will melt right away as his aura is very strong for them to handle. 


Their early text in the morning was like a routine to them and they didn't feel anything wrong with that. But, not from both parent's view. They could feel there's something unusual about their children as days passed by. Their closeness is more than a friend should be. It seems like Mina and Jeongyeon is a real couple in their eyes. And in addition, it is because Jeongyeon would do anything for her and rather spend his time with Mina than staying at home.

 

Jeongyeon [07:30] : Hey pretty! What's up! Are you awake by now? If you aren't awake yet, then you gotta get up now or else we're going to be late in our first day of school.


Mina ♥️ [07:31] : I'm awake. Give me 30 minutes and i'll be ready to go.


Jeongyeon [07:32] : Okay, i'll wait for you in front of your house.


Jeongyeon was just took 15 minutes to get ready and he rushed outside after he grabbed his bag on the chair. He went back and forth in front of Mina's gate while kicking some stones to kill some times. Jeongyeon was so into kicking the stones that he didn't notice Mina was going out from her house and smile sweetly at him.


"Jeongyeon ah. Let's go?"


"Ouh Minaa, you're here. Well, let's go now before we missed the bus"


"Alright"


...

 

"I miss you, Mina. I'm so bored without you in the hometown. We could have played at the arcade to get rid of boredom" he suddenly broke the silence.


"Silly.. I miss you too. Didn't you said that your hometown is great the other day?"


"Yes it is but only the first two weeks.. The rest of the days is so boring and I'm glad the holiday is finally over. What about you? Staying at home like usual?"


"Yes and no.. My family brought me to Jeju Island last week.. And I'm sorry for not replying your message"


"It's okay. No hard feelings here" he said proudly.


"Tch.. Don't need to sound so confident"


"You don't like it? Hmm okay, i will try to be less confident for you"


"Suit yourself" she glance at him.


And so they walked side by side on their way to the bus stop while teasing each other like a couple usually does. They managed to hop on the bus at the last minute and there was only one seat remain to be sit on. Being a gentleman, he let Mina to have the seat while he held on the bar and stood still until they arrived at the school. There were a few times when the bus suddenly stepped on the brake, made him almost fell on top of Mina while his face was an inch apart from her face.


'Why is my heart is beating so fast? It can't be because of—


'Him'
'Her'

 

Both of them had the same thought at the moment. Little did they know, their heartbeats were uncontrollably fast at the moment. Mina's face was beat red so she decided to look outside the window meanwhile jeongyeon got on his feet back and standing steadily. As soon as they arrive at the school, some of the students will question themselves about Jeongyeon who got to be Mina's friend. In their eyes, he is just an ugly and scaredy cat nerd so how could he be one of the goddesses's friends here? The question still remains unsolved.


Because of her visual and smartness, all of the students admired her abilities and her face, unofficially becomes her fans, no matter the boys or girls. Even so, she's still wanna be friends with Jeongyeon. 


This year is actually the second year for them to be at this school. Both of them have moved to this school because Jeongyeon's father have been assigned to be the new principal since last year. But, no one knew he is the son of the principal that the students have been talking about. He ignored their staring and kept following Mina until they reached her class. Only then he will go to his classroom on the above floor of Mina's.


.


.


.

 

In Jeongyeon's class

 

The teacher in his class was teaching history as they will have a test for next week. And it's because most of his classmates failed in the last test since they didn't study hard. His teacher wanted them to take their lesson for today seriously and studying the topics that he had told in the last semester.


"Please find your notes at home and study about the topics that i talked just now. Remember, even if only one of you failed, this whole class will have a detention. That's it. I'm done talking"


His classmates suddenly became noisy as they wanted to protest their teacher's decision. Some of them even begged their teacher to postpone or give a clue about the upcoming test but Mr. Jung just ignored them. Jeongyeon too ignored the commotion that was happening in his class and decided to text Mina in the middle of class.

 

Jeongyeon [11:50] : Hey Mina.. Where are we going to eat our lunch later? Cafeteria or rooftop?


Mina ♥️ [11:51] : Why are you playing your phone in the class? Aren't you gonna get busted?


Jeongyeon [11:51] : Nah, they're fighting over a test right now. Tch, you're the same Myoui Mina.. You still replied to my message eventhough you're busy.


Jeongyeon [11:53] : You still haven't answer my question yet?


Mina ♥️ [11.55] : Fine! Cafeteria. Good bye!"


Jeongyeon [11:55] : Can't we talk a bit more?


Mina ♥️ [11:56] : Nope.. My teacher want to walk around in this class so i can't text you for now. Later!


Jeongyeon [11:57] : See ya!


'She's always being like this. Eventhough i'm a 'nerd', i can't live like her, easily scared over nothing' he thought.


.


.


.

 

Lunchtime 


"Alright, class dismissed! Don't forget to study"


"Aye sir! Good byeee!" the naughty gang in Jeongyeon's class bowed at him and rushed out of the class to go to the cafeteria.


'These rude guys. The teacher still haven't go outside yet but they were already vanished from sight' he thought.


Jeongyeon walked through the hallway until he reached the middle of it and go downstairs to meet Mina. Within five minutes of walking, he's arrived in front of Mina's class. He took a peek inside her class and he saw Mina was doing her homework seriously, not minding everyone around her. He then decided to stay hiding from her classmates's view or else he will get caught up by the teacher.


'Her class is not over yet huh? But, it's already 12.55 p.m. which mean they're late for 15 minutes for recess' he looked at his watch and shrugged his shoulders.


After waiting a bit more, jeongyeon heard her classmates say their goodbyes to their teacher on 1.00 p.m. and he moves away from the door that he leaned on just now. He took a peek one more time inside the class and saw Mina seems to tidy up her desk from getting messy. Without his knowledge, jeongyeon was smiling over Mina's little act.


"Get away you ugly nerd!" someone suddenly hit his shoulder roughly with their's and just smirked when jeongyeon landed on his on the floor. His daydreaming was crashed instantly.

"This is a little warning you stupid nerd. Next time, don't you ever stand in the middle of the door and block my way" he said before he walked away from the scene.


Mina who saw the accident dashed towards jeongyeon and helped him to stand up. Jeongyeon seems to get a scratch on his palms but he tried to hide the wound by putting his hands in the pocket. Mina who noticed his strange behaviour dragged out his hands from the pocket and saw the blood on his palms.


"You're wounded.. Let's go to the infirmary"


"I-It's okay. Let's have a lunch. I'm hungry~" jeongyeon said while patting his stomach.


"No, let's go to the infirmary first or else i don't want to eat lunch"


"Is there any way i can stop you?"


"Nope, so let's go now"


Mina wrapped her small hand on jeongyeon's wrist and dragged him to the infirmary although he tried to convinve Mina that the wounds are nothing. After a few struggling, Mina still turned deaf to his whining, and so jeongyeon gave up and followed Mina willingly. She knocked twice on the door before coming in.


"Oh, the doctor is not here so let's get out" jeongyeon suggested as his feet is already outside of the infirmary.


"Wait.. I can do it" she hold jeongyeon's wrist tightly.


"W-what? Are you serious?"


"Yeap.. Please sit on the bed, jeong.. I need to find the antiseptic first"


"Ahh-umm, would you mind to let my hand free?" he said while glancing at his wrist.


Mina abruptly retracted her hand from jeongyeon's wrist and went to the cabinet to look for antiseptic. She found the antiseptic after five minutes and went to jeongyeon who is now sit on the edge of the bed.


"Show me your palm"


"I can do it by myself, Mina"


"Both of your palms are wounded so tell me how can you do it by yourself?" she said, her tone slightly annoyed by jeongyeon's act.


Mina then took both of jeongyeon's hands to treat the wounds but he still consistent for not letting Mina do the work. Jeongyeon without thinking much grabbed both of Mina's wrist softly and stared directly into her eyes. Her heart skipped a beat and she turned her head away.


"I'll do it by myself.. Okay?"


"Hmm" she answered shortly and jeongyeon let her hands free.


Jeongyeon then wiped off the blood using the cotton that Mina brought from the cabinet. He put the antiseptic on both of his palms in turn, while Mina kept glancing over him from time to time.


"Relax, Mina. I'm not a child anymore so i know this kind of treatment. Don't worry"


"Pfttt.. Who said i'm worry about you?" she murmured so that jeongyeon can't hear her.


"Done.. I'm so hungry right now~ lead the way princess" he said while putting a band aid on his palm.


"I know.. We have 25 minutes more"


.


.


.


*Kringgg!* 


The bell has rung, signifies their classes for today has ended. The clock shows percisely 4.30 p.m.. As soon as he went outside of the class, jeongyeon wore an earphone while listening to some ballad songs. He started humming through the whole songs until he arrived at the school's entrance. He patiently waiting for Mina to go home together as they live next door. 


Jeongyeon leaned on the school's entrance wall and ended up fell asleep while his head was nodding off. He was deep in sleep when someone is poking his cheeks to wake

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter