Chapter 2

The Greatest story (of all time)

A/N :

It took me time, it's a small chapter but now it's set, we can evolve and finally hit the real thing.

Thank you for your patience ! Once again, I'm sorry I was in Paris, then fell sick, then had many things to do but it's out ! (─‿‿─)

 

Breathing ashes. Grey and orange, dust and men. New York was far ahead but in between the little coast and the city, there was Doctor T.J Eckleberg gigantic eyes, looking at you from its blue covered sign once you’ve reached the desolate land. 

Chaeyoung was amazed by those white and black man, working until exhaustion, hovering heavy utensils above their heads to hit the rocks, clouds of chemical dust killing them softly. The smell of soil started to make Chaeyoung cough, Momo was being too serious about her emergency to notice. She received a call earlier from a friend, asking to meet for an important matter.  

“Do you really need me ? I’m a new businesswoman, I don’t think I’d have the guts to show my teeth.” Chaeyoung’s voice was barely audible in between the roaring cars sounds and industrial growl making both of them uncomfortable for a little chit-chat. 

“I wanted to show you something.” Momo almost shouted, pulling into a stop in front of a gas station, the only parcel without endless dust flying right inside their lungs. Chaeyoung got out of the car to follow Momo’s determined steps, coming to a halt in front of a man. He looked sick, ghastly eyes looking at them before getting up, out of breath, dusty clothes and dirty hair. There were no other shops around, only a restaurant, an old fast-food barely breathing with a whitewashed façade. 

“It’s been a while, a long while. You still owe me some cash.” The man grabbed Momo’s clean and strong hand, wincing at their hand shake.  

“It’s a matter of time, I got it, I promise I got it.” Momo had so much confidence but almost lost it all when a silhouette slowly came down from the garage. She was the opposite of her husband, he had lost its vigor, looked anemic and spiritless while she had curves, sparkles inside her eyes and a smile that could raise jealousy. She had flesh, no wonder some men would bite. 

“If you can’t sell that car, I’ll find another man to do the job Hirai.” But Momo just shrugged it off. 

“Do not worry about it, I got it, I tell you.” Momo almost whispered.  

Chaeyoung felt the thick tension between the two women, she rasped her voice, looking away. 

“You better got it. I’ve worked hard on it, this is how I pay my bills.” The man kept ranting about how hard life was in this dingy place, something Momo couldn’t comprehend. She was focused on the woman, their eyes telling stories. 

“Fine, next time I come, you won’t be deceived my friend.” Momo patted the man’s shoulder, as if it was nothing but small talk and not about a serious matter. The man grunted and coughed, his lungs whistling. He wasn’t in good shape, who could survive near the railways road, stuck in between clouds of dust ? 

They walked away from the gas station. Chaeyoung wasn’t expecting them to reach New York in such a hurry. Momo had something in mind. They came all the way for business but there was something else, the way she bit her nails, waited for something to happen like a miracle. Her life was depending on an event and Chaeyoung, wondered if she’d be once again an accomplice from those hungry eyes drifting from woman to woman. 

“Terrible place, isn’t it ?” Momo asked while crossing the bridge. The view was incredible. People laughing on the road, they did cross black man singing on the rooftop of their cars, champagne flooding, woman showing skin without shame. The taste of life never felt so sugary. Chaeyoung was amazed about the sharp contrast coming right after they took the bridge to meet with a fervent city. 

“Indeed. Nothing compared to New York.” Both reached New York. The tall buildings, bricks and business, music and industry.  

When they reached the apartment on the top floor, Chaeyoung was a little bit more ready to meet with important business figures. But instead, she met face to face with a woman, the same from the gas station, wearing a new red muslin dress.  

“You took your time, Hirai.” 

At that very moment, Chaeyoung wanted to flee from what was coming. This meeting looked nothing like a business reunion. It was full of colors, born from a modern time, alcohol on the tables and people laughing at loud, nothing like it should have been. Of course, Chaeyoung was aware about how humanity was raising from the ashes after world war I. Only a blind eye could miss the premises of this new way to consume and enjoy life. Funny how people hide while anybody is aware about the earthquake getting stronger. Rich people flirting with dirty money, poor people dressing like rich to win clean money.  

“My friend, just relax, drink something and let’s have some fun.” Momo was already holding a lady by the waist, Chaeyoung’s heart flinched. Sana’s words were true. 

“I’m not into drinking and-” Momo patted her shoulder, whispering secrets against her ear. That’s basically the last sober words that got spilled in between those four red walls.  

Five people drinking, dancing all around the small room. Chaeyoung was not sure but one of them did flirt with her, a woman that came a little bit later. There’s nothing she recalled with exactitude but she understood why Momo had to misbehave sometimes, because life could be surprising at its most confusing times.  

“Oh God, it feels good ! We work so hard, we deserve so much more.” One of the four woman sang dramatically, falling on the nearest leather sofa. The only man involved in this party caught her waist, looking right into her eyes. “You deserve the world darling and a new dress !” He kissed with fervor and they laughed, Chaeyoung thought about a seagull nest.  

“Hey kid, coming at Gatsby’s next time ?” She recognized the voice, Momo’s girl as she liked to introduce herself. The one from the gas station and that stayed glued to Momo this whole time. A woman of flesh, taller than them with a perceptible vitality.  

“Jeongyeon, right ? I’m sorry I’m bad with names.” Chaeyoung smiled but was a bit unfazed. “I didn’t get any invitation.” She said, wining a laugh from Jeongyeon. 

“Nobody gets an invitation ! You just go !” Champagne almost got spilled on the rug but who cared ? This place wasn’t permanent, a dream, a parallel world, words flood and nobody had the right to pull off a sad face. 

“Did I heard Gatsby ? This new rich man-” 

“Or woman !” 

“Living in Long Island ! Isn't it your neighbor Hirai ?” One of them asked while Momo coughed and nodded.  

“I heard his house was on the other side of the bay but I never met him before.” Momo’s voice was sharp and she took another shot of strong liquor. This was the second time Chaeyoung noticed about Gatsby’s impact over Momo, raising curiosity about her very own neighbor.  

“I heard they’re from Germany, not on the good side at all. A nephew-” 

“Or niece !” 

“Of the Kaiser !” The man laughed again, with madness while Momo looked tense. 

“It’s only rumors, what do we know about him anyways.” She tried to shrug it off but the party already died down, most them looking sleepy while Chaeyoung’s mind kept thinking about this Gatsby. She knew it was a woman. She saw her by the bridge.  

Who is she ? She thought. 

It was late, probably around midnight when Chaeyoung woke up with a headache. The party had started the day, died in the night. There were loud shouts between Momo and the woman in the red dress - Jeongyeon, Mina’s name got yelled but Chaeyoung couldn’t understand a word. She blinked several times, a blurry Momo coming in sight. She was moving her strong arms, scolding the woman. It was getting heated. The guests were gone about two hours ago, before it got dark. Chaeyoung suddenly heard a loud bang and Momo was standing in the middle of the room.  

“I’ve read a book lately, an old story you might know, the Beauty and the Beast...” Momo’s voice had cracks, betraying her soft heart. “Somehow, I always hurt the Beauty.” 

 

***** 

 

Chaeyoung couldn’t remember when she put a step inside her small wooden house. Last evening had been full of surprises, she caught how society would gladly laugh at their miserable behavior and go back home, with childish regrets. She had seen those women dance, talk without shame and less clothes than it was allowed to reveal in the streets.  

Absorbed and fueled by this energy, she reached her porch to breath fresh air. New York seemed so far away, birds vocalizing their presence with little peeps, fluttering sounds echoing through the small field.  

Her eyes met the huge mansion.  

Gatsby’s house seemed empty, as if she was gone. 

But night fell and when Chaeyoung came from a little walk near the bay ; music, roaring cars and yells filled her ears. For a moment, she thought she took the wrong way. Never she’d heard so much fuss at Gatsby’s house, never she believed that indeed; she would throw huge parties that would wake the world’s more intense needs to dance and spin, drink and get lost in trance.  

From the low hedges, she saw people coming in, waves and waves of them, men and women, running towards festivities. On the beach: music, inside the house: music, near the pool: music. Chaeyoung eyes lit up, life running through her veins in a way that appeared natural. Nothing to do with Momo’s party in New York, this one smelled rapture at its finest. 

She walked along the hedges, eyes sparkling. No sign of the red hair, Gatsby was probably inside.  

Finally, in between the ocean of humans, Chaeyoung saw a familiar face. Miss Minatozaki got invited. This time, she wasn’t wearing a golf suit but a shiny silver dress hugging her curves. She had feathers on her hair, a wide smile and numerous men and women escorting her. But still, Chaeyoung couldn’t avoid thinking about Mina and how much her beauty would have struck the crowd. Secretly, she hoped for her friend to be safe at home, scared that the wolves would break the little fairy.  

This thought also saddened her. She was about to step back inside her house to give her friend a call but got surprised by a shadow. In the tower, the tallest from the mansion, she caught sight with red hair. Chaeyoung saw an eye, looking right at her. Caught out of guard, Chaeyoung stuttered alone before waving her hand. Surprisingly, the woman that seemed to be Gatsby, waved back. Unsure about the exact silhouette, Chaeyoung wondered if this wasn’t a dream, or a ghost. The woman disappeared and closed the curtains. 

 

***** 

 

Only a naïve person would think that Sana came without any further meaning at Gatsby’s. Of course she’d gladly dance and drink, but tonight she had a peculiar reason to make an appearance. Among the crowd that kept dissolving and forming, she made her way towards the library. She took a glass of champagne while climbing up the stairs, meeting eyes and sharing flirty smiles towards men that would forget about her once their hands would find a beautiful siren to kiss. 

The rumor that nobody has ever met with Gatsby was the main reason Sana came, once again. She hadn’t Mina’s elegance, but she had something different, a glint inside her eyes that would allow you no lies. She’d know if what you’re saying is full fiction or not, she’d wear that smirk and you’d stumble on your words and blush.  

Convinced about her belief that the reddish hair she saw was Gatsby, she followed her steps. For months, she had doubts about Gatsby being a woman, but tonight she was ready to catch her; red hand. Once the huge wooden doors reached, her eyes sparkled. For a second, she looked back from the highest spot and from above, she could see the twentieth century. Music, a mad pianist hitting the black and white keys, people dancing the swing as if it was a second easy nature. It molded in a perfect picture, no dark spot, only lights and diamonds. She sighed and turn around to proceed her adventure through the mansion.  

Her heels clicked against the marble and finally, she met with a slender silhouette wearing a blue dress. She hadn’t much curves, but enough for the eye to be satisfied. Sana couldn’t see her face, not even the reflection through the window but she knew. 

“Are you Gatsby ?” Sana whispered, delighted.