Drunken Kisses and Unwise Decisions 

As If Someone Changed the Rules For Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Chapter 13 

Drunken Kisses and Unwise Decisions 

 

 

 

 

He woke up before the sun was anywhere close to rising. If Mino had not been sleeping next to him, arms around him, nuzzling into the crease of his neck he probably would have had a hard time believing that the previous day had not been a dream. 

Vivid pictures of the two of them on stage had been playing over and over in his dreams all night. It was easily one of his favorite moments of his life so far, standing on the stage, performing in front of such an enthusiastic crowd. The best part was easily how confident he had felt. Back when he had to make a choice between performing arts and music production had he opted for the safe option. A craft he could master by talent and practice equally. 

Singing and performing on stage, that took guts, charisma and talent. A hell a lot of talent, something he had previously doubted if he possessed enough of. 

 

After last night had the scales shifted in his mind. The side that said he was good enough was weighing heavier than the side full of doubts for the first time in his life. 

Tilting his head a little to rest the side on Mino’s forehead he let out a small pleased hum. He couldn’t remember the last time he had been this happy. 

 

 

They ate breakfast together, just his plain old granola poured lazily into two bowls with some milk and some black coffee on the side because Mino had made their coffee and forgotten in his half asleep state that he didn’t drink his black. 

After that had they split up for a short while to get dressed for the day before leaving for school together. 

It was a beautiful late autumn day for once and he could almost feel the warmth of the sun of skin as he walked across the campus square bumping shoulders with Mino as they smiled at each other. 

 

Several people had stopped them to praise their performance from the previous day and there was no denying it made them feel good. All the hard work were being appreciated and it put a spring in their steps way out of the ordinary. 

Arriving at the arts faculty they split up to go to each their lecture agreeing to meet for lunch. 

 

 

His lecture had been filled with attention from his classmates as well saying he needed to have their work recorded and produced properly. Little did they know that was already done and finished. 

He was looking forward to meeting with Mino for lunch when he got a message saying he would be late. 

Grabbing some lunch on his own he settled in the corner of the cafeteria opening his computer pretending to be swamped with school work to stop his fellow school mates from joining him. 

 

 

Mino was almost an hour late when he arrived and he got a funny look on his face, happy yet not quite. 

    "What?" he asked concerned immediately wondering what had happened. 

    "I got pulled to the side by my professor after our lecture today. The scout that supposedly was at the festival wants to meet me" he explained. 

At first he had been over the moon happy for Mino, it was only when the realization hit that his heart sank. Of course it was the more experienced, more polished, more talented.. 

    "The meeting is this Friday evening" Mino added folding his hands together into one big ball in front of him on the table. 

    "You have to go of course. There will be many cabin trips, but meetings like this" his voice trailed of seeing Mino’s expression. 

    "We owned that stage together, I don’t get why they only asked for me to come" he said, the sadness evident on his face as he spoke. 

It weren’t hard for him to see it at all, Mino was better in every way. He knew that, hell he even felt the same way. It didn’t even hurt to acknowledge it, he was just happy to have had the opportunity. 

    "I’ll fight for both of us, don’t worry" Mino said looking up from his hands with a newly found resolve. 

He wanted to tell him there was no need for that, but on the other hand what harm was it in trying? If they could have this together? It wouldn’t hurt to hear what they had to say. 

They kept chatting about what the professor had said adding them up to the many rumors they had heard about this supposed scout. He got plans to go out just with his roommates that evening, but now he almost regretted it, seeing as Mino wouldn’t be coming along to the cabin trip with the rest of them. 

Having talked it all over had they both agreed that Mino should try to come after them on Saturday and that made him feel a bit more positive. He could spend the Friday, well, dealing with Zico once and for all, to make things very clear before Mino showed up on Saturday. 

 

His long planned night out with his roommates got changed drastically because of a spur of the moment ideal suggested by Jinwoo. 

Now they were sitting around a table eating Swedish meatballs at IKEA with plans to get new pillows for the couch, tableware, a rug and early Christmas decorations for the apartment. 

    "It’s not even November" Seunghoon grumbled as they went over their list. 

    "I’m only saying that if its already here we should buy it, then we won’t have to come back later" Jinwoo said holding up one finger preaching like some proud older sibling having figured it all out. 

He couldn’t disagree with Jinwoo’s logic, although he didn’t think hanging it up as soon as they got home would be a good idea. They kept eating, all of them promising each other they wouldn’t buy lots of unnecessary stuff they didn’t need well knowing that was exactly what they all would be doing. 

They had almost finished their meal when Jinwoo turned to him and asked:

    "Are you okay?" out of the blue. 

The question had startled him and he didn’t really have his answer ready. Seunghoon leaned forward across the table staring into his face. 

    "Yup, something definitely up. Just look at him" he said pointing at his face as if he got food all over it. 

 

Feeling self-conscious he rubbed his face and sighed. He had kept from telling them about the Mino situation as he didn’t want to ruin the mood, it was rare for the three of them to be going out and he really enjoyed their company. 

    "Don’t think you can keep anything from us anyway" Seunghoon urged waving his last meatball dangerously around with his fork. 

He let out another sigh and shook his head. It wasn’t really that big a deal, in one way it was really good news and so he told them about the talent scout and how Mino would be late to the cabin trip. 

    "It’s great that his talent is recognized though" Jinwoo said thoughtfully after a moment of silence.

    "What about this guys talent though? He did just as well if not even better" Seunghoon said sitting upright in his chair with crossed arms staring directly at him. He was a bit touched by the fact that Seunghoon actually got angry on his behalf. 

 

Assuring them that he was fine and that Mino already said he’d fight for them to record his song as a duo they settled down a bit. 

    "It’s not a big deal that he’ll be late for the trip is it? He can join us in the evening or come up on Saturday?" Jinwoo said smiling at him before finishing his soda. 

    "Zico will be going though and with Mino out of the way" Seunghoon narrowed his eyes as he said this. 

    "Just don’t be alone with him if that makes you uncomfortable" Jinwoo said simply. 

He smiled at Jinwoo knowing perfectly well this was his best option, but also he was also well aware of the fact that Zico was sneaky. 

    "We got your back, maybe it’s a good time to tell him to back off for good if you haven’t already?" Seunghoon added sounding his usual cheerful self again. 

Agreeing to this he finished his food and they were on their way. Hopefully wouldn’t they be leaving the warehouse with more than they could carry home. 

 

 

Sitting in the living room he watched as Seunghoon and Jinwoo put up fairy lights in the windows. They had bought way too much stuff like he knew they would and had ended up getting a taxi home. He was unpacking their new tableware and coffee cups from their paper wrapping when Mino came walking in. 

    "You don’t live here you know, you gotta knock!" Seunghoon yelled like some angry parent not even turning to see who it was that had walked in. Mino just laughed and gave the two of them some help with the last of the lights in the window. 

    "This is festive" Mino said taking a seat next to Seungyoon on the couch. 

    "Why wait for December eh?" he replied shrugging happily. It became dark so early in the afternoon these days it was nice with some extra lights indoors. 

    "I got some good news" Mino said putting an arm around him while peering up at his face. 

    "Hm?" he asked curiously. 

 

Mino went on to explain how one of their other friends that were going to the cabin would also be arriving late because he was working a late shift. He got a car and so they would be riding up there together after his shift was done. 

Smiling ear to ear he placed a spontaneous kiss on Mino’s cheek while Mino just nodded approvingly obviously pleased with how things were working out. 

    "Hey! Lovebirds! Why don’t you make yourself useful and start cleaning all our new tableware so we can use it for our meal tonight?" Seunghoon teased untangling another chain of fairy lights that Jinwoo was attaching the end of to the big bookshelf by the wall. 

Mino got to his feet and picked up a pile of plates from the table and he followed after him. He was the one who had picked out the new mugs, perfect for latte macchiatos and double cappuccinos. 

    "This is nice" Mino teased bumping hips sideways in a playful way with him as he picked up a towel. "You are only missing the apron" he continued smiling cheekily. Swatting Mino with his washing brush he complained loudly as a big puff of soap landed on his face. 

    "Ah what a lovely domestic scene" Seunghoon teased picking the soap of Mino’s face only to place it on top of Jinwoo’s head who was carrying another pile of tableware to be washed. 

 

Blinking at Seunghoon he just smiled wondering what was going on. 

He removed the soap from Jinwoo's head giving Seunghoon a look saying don’t you dare, but it was too late. 

He had already scooped up a huge puff of soap bubbles from the sink and was about to plant it on his head, but he dodged it last minute and it all landed down Mino’s neck who was still drying coffee mugs diligently next to him. 

    "Ahhhh really?" Mino groaned as the lukewarm soap water and foam slid down his back. Turning towards the three of them he figured out who the culprit was right away, grabbed the washing brush from Seungyoon’s hand and began aggressively swatting at Seunghoon who jumped out of the way, before shuffling playfully out of reach.

He watched Mino chase Seunghoon around the living room for a couple of rounds before stealing the brush back, but it didn’t stop Mino from wanting to get ahold of Seunghoon. Jinwoo sighed and shook his head at them before picking up Mino’s towel. 

He and Jinwoo finished cleaning while the other two chased each other around until Mino finally got a hold of Seunghoon grabbing him in a arm lock holding him in place while ruffling his hair violently with his knuckles.  

 

When they were done cleaning and the other two was laying slumped on each their couch had Jinwoo asked if anyone could go to the nearest convenience store to buy a couple of things for their meal. He had volunteered him and Mino and started tugging on his arm to get him up from the couch. 

    "Only if I can eat here" Mino said getting to his feet. Jinwoo nodded and texted them the shopping list and they were on their way. 

 

 

Huddled up in thick winter coats they walked into the cold evening darkness. They were sharing a pair of mittens while holding each others hand with their un-mittened hand. 

    "Will you be fine tomorrow before I get there? Did you talk to Zico yet?" Mino asked as they turned a corner down the street towards the convenience store. 

    "Of course I’ll be fine, but no I haven’t. I figured I might do so tomorrow" he said stuffing as much of his face down bellow his scarf as possible as his face stung from the cold and his lungs hurt from the cold air he was breathing in.

    "I heard they were planning on drinking, I gotta warn you they get pretty rowdy" Mino said a deep crease from worry prominent between his eyebrows. 

    "I won’t drink much though and Jinwoo said he was a great drinker so there will be at least two stable people there" he said in an attempt to reassure Mino. He sighed and sped up a little as they now were close to the shop. 

 

They quickly picked up everything from the list and a few things for themselves before retuning out into the cold again. 

    "Whoa, it’s actually snowing" Mino mused looking up at the light white flurry falling slowly around them. 

    "I guess Jinwoo weren’t too far off with his Christmas shopping hunch, now we can cross snow of our list too" he replied as a big flake of wet snow landed in between his eyes making him feel slightly dizzy. 

    "If it’s snow here then surely the cabin must be covered with it" Mino said, grabbing his hand in his again pulling him lightly along with him down the street. 

 

When they were almost back at the apartment had they both stopped to enjoy the view of the snow for one more minute before going inside. The white looked beautiful against the many streetlights, covering everything in a calm white blanket. 

    "I guess winter got it’s moments" Mino mused taking up his phone to take a picture of the snow covered street. "However much I’ve been cursing it for making me freeze 24/7 these last weeks" he added putting away his phone again. 

    "With you I’m always warm" he said happily grabbing Mino’s hand again expecting them to start walking again. 

    "Wait just a moment" Mino said holding him back by the hand. 

He turned to see what was up to find Mino standing there looking fondly at him. Smiling he took a step back and leaned in for a quick kiss on the lip before ruffling some snow out of Mino’s hair. 

 

 

When they returned home was it to an incredible smell that they even had been able to smell out on the street. Jinwoo was making lasagna explaining how he had bought so much bread on discount the other day he had been googling which dishes people usually ate bread with. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter