The New Boss

Started From Spilt Coffee

What the… what happened to me?

 

I woke up with drool on my face and a soft blanket on my body.

My mind’s still fuzzy and I can’t really remember what I was doing before I apparently crashed.

 

I snuck a peek around my surroundings to help myself recollect my memories, but all I saw was a mess of an office.

Oh, and Blank Beauty sitting across from my spot.

She seemed to be working on some paperwork and… oh snap.

 

I’m still in Jung Eunji’s office.

 

Speaking of that lovely woman, where on Earth is she?

I can’t see her even though this is her territory.

Did she really leave her assistant by herself to keep an eye on me after I signed the-

 

Oh, that’s right.

That’s what happened.

 

 

I signed the contract.

 

 

To become her partner’s personal assistant or slave or whatever.

I don’t know because I didn’t read the goddamn thing.

Oh well, it’s way too late to panic about that by now.

 

 

I rubbed away the gunk around my eyes whilst letting out a loud yawn. ’Twas a good nap. 

Blank-Beauty glanced up from whatever she was reading after hearing me. “Oh, you’re finally awake.”

“Morning, Naeun-yang…”

“I hope you had a nice nap, Bomi-sshi. You were out of it for quite some time. Would you like some water?”

“I uh… sure?” I replied before pulling myself up and giving my stiff limbs a good ol’ stretch. She abandoned her seat to boil some hot water for me. “Um… how long was I out of it, and why did Jung Eunji disappear from her own office?”

“It’s currently two in the afternoon, and Ms. Jung should be fast asleep at home by now.”

“Ah yeah, you did tell me how her day and night-time’s switched… wait, 2 PM?”

 

She seemed to be confused by my confusion and paused her actions just to look at me.

Our eyes made contact as I also stared back at her; hers was filled with nothing, while mine was probably filled with horror.

She blinked slowly at me while her hand remained frozen, hovering above the empty mug. “Is… is there something wrong?”

 

“THE THREE LIL B*TCHES!!!” I suddenly screeched whilst jumping up onto my feet.

I was obviously losing my sh*t, and Blank-Beauty was obviously startled by my sudden reaction.

Oops, my bad.

 

To my surprise, she managed to get a grip on me before I could burst out of the office door.

“Bomi-sshi! W-What’s wrong? Why are you leaving all of a sudden?” she asked, trying her best to calm me down.

She’s probably wondering what ‘three lil b*tches’ meant, too.

 

“My second job! I need to help this mother before she dies from exhaustion!” I shrieked as I attempted to wriggle myself free from her grasp. Her grip was unexpectedly strong so I failed to do just that. “I don’t want to become a murderer, Naeun-ah!”

“Please calm down, Bomi-sshi!” she cried out loud before pulling me into a sudden embrace, a desperate attempt to stop me from fleeing the scene… and it worked, for obvious reasons. The reason being I’m hella gay.

 

She waited for me to cool back down before resuming back to her explanations, pulling her body away from mine.

“We’ve already reached out to your five employers and informed them about your departure on your behalf, so there’s no need to worry about them anymore. Your sole occupation from now on is to become the personal assistant of Ms. Park.”

 

I blinked as my breath gradually slowed down, her words repeating itself within my empty brain.

A particular one caught my attention.

“Did you just say… Ms. Park?”

 

“Yes.” she also blinked back, “From today onwards, you’re Park Chorong-nim’s assistant.”

“So… Jung Eunji wasn’t referring to a ‘lover’ kind of partner.”

“… No. She doesn’t really care about that sort of business.”

“And Park Chorong’s like, the ‘C’ next to the ‘&E’, right?”

“That’s correct.”

“She’s literally the other CEO of your company.”

“Indeed she is.”

“So you’re telling me, I’m now the personal assistant of your other boss.”

“Spot on, Bomi-sshi.”

 

My jaw dropped as soon as the realisation of my situation settled within my dusty mind:

 

I’m now working for C&E Entertainment, and my role is the other CEO’s personal assistant.

 

What the absolute did I sign myself up for?

Why did my stupid- not comprehend Eye-Smile’s ‘partner’ as her business partner?

Why does she even trust me that much to have me work for her partner?

 

I turned to face Son Naeun and placed a hand weakly onto her shoulder.

She merely stared back at me in pure confusion, not knowing what to do.

“Naeun-ah, I spilt an entire cup of coffee on your CE-”

 

 

JUNG EUNJI!!!

 

 

A high-pitched scream disrupted my confession and caused the two of us to jump- quite literally when the door was pushed open.

It almost smacked us both in the face. We barely avoided on becoming two Voldemorts.

 

The voice was peculiarly familiar, even though I swear I don’t know anyone who owns that kind of voice; it’s soft and fragile like cotton candy, child-like to some extent, yet fierce enough to make your ears bleed if she screamed loud enough.

Whomst the st???

 

“Naeun-ah, where is your freakin’ boss?!” the person screamed once more, but this time she made herself visible by storming straight inside.

That was the moment where I understood why I found her voice oddly familiar.

 

 

It’s because I heard it just yesterday.

 

 

The door was closed behind of her, and her presence made me subconsciously hid behind Son Naeun like the lil b*tch I am.

Blank-Beauty was surprisingly calm before this once-again-pissed-off lady, as if this was an everyday thing. 

Was she actually used to this already? Was Dolphin always in a bad mood 24/7?

That must be a pain in the to deal with, yikes.

 

“Good afternoon, Ms. Park, and Ms. Jung has returned home to rest. It’s way past her working hours, you see.” I heard the brave assistant reply, her voice unwavering like the brave b*tch she was. “May I ask why you are here and demanding for her presence?”

“Your boss left me a weird text and dares to not answer any of my calls!” Dolphin hissed as she placed her phone against her ear, apparently still not giving up on spam-calling her poor frie… wait a ing second.

 

“I must ask you to stop calling her number, Ms. Park. Ms. Jung should be in a deep slumber right now, and it would be unpleasant of you to disturb her.” Naeun boldly reminded, making me fear for her precious life. “You should know her schedules by now. You are her business partner after-all.”

“Still, that doesn’t mean she can randomly move someone into my goddamn apartment without a single explanation!”

 

 

Hold up.

 

 

No.

No no no no no.


This has to be some kind of misunderstanding.

Eye-Smile would never do this to me.

 

This isn’t what I think it is, right?

Someone’s about to say ‘sike’, right?

This woman is not Park Chorong, and Jung Eunji didn’t feed me to the lioness… right?

 

 

“What do you mean by that, Ms. Park?”

“You don’t know? Even though you’re her personal assistant?”

“I am her personal assistant, not her personal diary.”

“Well, Eunji said a person named ‘Yoon Bomi’ or whatever has nowhere to go so she’s going to lend her my spare room. Like, how could she just decide that by herself?! To let a random stranger live with me- she must be out of her goddamn mind!”

 

 

… WHAT THE WERE YOU THINKING, JUNG EUNJI?!

 

I thought she was going to help me, the ?!

That sly b*tch sent me to my goddamn grave instead!

 

Oh my God.

I bloody knew it.

I knew everything about this was too nice to be true.

 

If Park Chorong recognises me now, I’m literally dead.

I’m probably going to die before my grandma, aren’t I?

Sorry nana, this isn’t the way I want to go, either.

 

 

“Who’s that behind you?”

 

 

I flinched violently upon hearing those words.

Yikes, it’s starting. My final moments on Earth.

C’est la vie and au revoir, b*tches.

 

My grip on Naeun’s shirt tightened as I took a peek from her shoulder.

Bad move, because I made eye-contact with my new boss and immediately almost pissed myself.

Blank-Beauty was pretty confused by my behaviour, but she was kind enough to pat my hand as a form of comfort.

 

“This is your new personal assistant, Ms. Park.”

 

I automatically stopped breathing when I felt Park Chorong’s gaze scanning me through.

Any second now. She could rip me away from my protective shield and kill me any second now.

Nana, I’m sorry that I’m leaving you first.

I’ll say hi to your son for you.

 

“Name?” I heard Dolphin ask, sending shivers down my spine.

 

Ah, this is it.’ I thought to myself.

The moment of truth, my time to die.

I guess I’m as ready as I’ll ever be, so take me away before I can regret my life decisions any further, sweet Jesus.

 

“I-I’m Yoo-”

 

 

Before I could even introduce myself, Park Chorong’s phone started blaring within the room.

She picked it up in the speed of light and started screaming into the device without even sparing a ‘hello?’.

“YAH, you better explain yourself before I kick your , Jung Eunji! I still have the keys to your apartment!”

 

Her phone’s volume was so high, us bystanders could easily hear the other woman’s groggy voice through its speakers.

Wha… what’s going on, unnie? It’s like, 3 AM for me…

“‘What’s wrong’?!” my new and scary boss scoffed, “You’re arranging for a stranger to live in my place for God-knows how long!”

Oh… that.”

“Yeah, exactly that.”

 

We heard a lazy yawn before Eye-Smile reasoned for herself. “Well, she’s going to be your personal assistant from now on, so you might as well benefit from having her by your side 24/7. You won’t overwork yourself like you always do, plus you won’t feel lonely anymore! Killing two birds with one stone! Remember that day when you were complaining about how you want a gir-

“That doesn’t mean you can assign someone without my permission.” I watched Park Chorong hiss into the microphone as her face gradually became red. She was now an exotic red dolphin. “I never asked for a personal assistant, nor do I want one!”

 

She quickly glanced at Naeun and I, making us simultaneously look away.

We were obviously still eavesdropping on their conversation though, and it’s not like we could do anything else.

Park Chorong was blocking the exit with her entire body, so we’re technically forced to remain there and listen.

 

Look unnie, you’re always making things harder for yourself by accepting way too much workload, not asking for help from anyone, and end up becoming extremely grumpy due to the exhaustion. That makes you subconsciously release your stress out on other people, and that’s just a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.” we heard Eye-Smile respond ever so calmly and reasonably, even when she’s probably half-asleep and ready to crash back into dreamland. “If you continue down this path, unnie, you’re going to not only hurt yourself both physically and mentally, but you’ll also hurt the people around you. I know you wouldn’t want that, and I don’t want that either.

 

The feisty lady seemed to be taking in her words well as she remained silent.

Her breathing pattern was slowing down to a calming pace, and the fire in her eyes were dying down thanks to her partner’s sincere words.

Jung Eunji continued after she didn’t receive a reply. I know it’s selfish of me to arrange all of this without telling you, unnie, and I apologise for that. Please just understand that it was out of an attempt to help you, and I really hope you’d give Yoon Bomi a chance. I really think she has the potential to make things better for you. Trust me on this one, please.

 

I snuck a peek at the woman who now seemed to be struggling with her own thoughts.

Son Naeun was still pretending to be admiring the dying plant on her boss’s windowsill.

Park Chorong only spoke up after a long moment of hesitation.

 

“Well… if you insist.” she mumbled, “But when will she be moving into my place?”

“Today, if possible. I’ve told you how she doesn’t have a place to go, plus she only has one luggage so it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle.”

“Okay, then… when will I get to meet her? Is she coming soon?”

 

I immediately hid my face behind Naeun’s back and stuck it there, making her body shake as she giggled ever so femininely. Music to my gay ears.

However, that sense of joy quickly vanished when I heard Jung Eunji’s laughter as well.

I am not ready to be exposed yet.

 

I’m assuming you went to my office to look for me, unnie?

“Yeah, I’m in your office right now. Why?”

Is Naeunnie also there?

“Yeah, with somebody else.”

 

My heartbeat increased as Eye-Smile chuckled again.

Her partner is surprisingly dense, huh.

 

 

That ‘somebody else’ is the one, unnie. Your new assistant and housemate, Yoon Bomi.

 

 

There was a moment of silence as Park Chorong turned to look at me.

I was once again holding my breath, unable to predict what she was thinking.

All I know is that she’s probably too dense to realise my identity as her blouse-destroyer.

God bless her and her poor memories.

 

I’ll be resuming back to my beauty nap now.” we heard the other CEO yawn loudly into the mic, “I’ll chat with you later, alright unnie?

“Fine, go sleep.” was all Dolphin said before she hung up the call, her eyes still on me. I shuddered uncomfortably before her lingering gaze.

I still can’t believe she’s my new boss from now on.

 

“Yoon Bomi, correct?”

“Ye- ouch.” I immediately bit my tongue and winced, making Son Naeun giggle once more.

I nudged her with a pout before redirecting my attention back onto the other woman. “T-That’s… that’s me. Hi.”

 

“Where are your belongings?”

“Um… in the trunk of a car?”

“Which car?”

“The one Jung Eunji sent to pick me up.”

“Lead me to it.”

“N-Now?”

 

“Are you dumb? Of course I meant now.” my boss instantly snapped, and I shuddered once more from witnessing her strong personality up-close.

Some of my previous bosses were big s, but she was the feistiest by far.

I can’t believe this is what I’ll have to deal with on a daily basis from now on.

 

 

Without the guts to spout another stupid question, Naeun and I led her to the BMW.

I wept internally when she took the keys from Blank-Beauty and ordered for her to return back to her own business.

I was not ready to spend some alone time with her just yet.

 

“Hop in, we’re leaving.” she demanded.

I made sure to comply before asking for more details. “Where are we going, exactly?”

“To put your stuff away and get you settled down.” she answered as she fastened her seat belt. “You know how to drive, right?”

“I have a license, but I haven’t driven much…”

 

I have the rights to drive, but I’ve never owned a car.

I only took my driver’s test because nana kept on nagging me to do it.

Who’d knew it come in handy like this, though?

 

“Okay, pay attention to the roads as I drive. You’ll be the one responsible to drive ourselves back and forth from my apartment in the future.”

“Yes ma’am…” I sighed as reality struck me again.

 

This is what I’m forced to deal with, her ‘hot-headed temper’ as Jung Eunji had described it.

More like her sh*tty attitude, if we’re completely honest.

 

She’s lucky to have a cute appearance, otherwise I would’ve snapped back or quit by now.

If I could freely mute her voice, I’d probably tolerate her a lot easier.

But unfortunately, that’s not the case and I’m stuck here listening to her sassy comments every now and then.

 

 

After a terrifying drive, the car was parked somewhere in this modern-looking neighbourhood.

Park Chorong had already exited the vehicle while I was still in a trance.

Her impatient- knocked on my window to snap me out of it, and I took that as a cue to get my together before I get myself killed.

 

I quickly grabbed my luggage from the trunk while she unlocked the front door with a swipe of a card.

She acted like a decent human being for once by holding the door open for me, and hot damn-

As expected of a CEO’s residency.

 

This place looked absolutely amazing, but I didn’t have the time to admire the lobby since the true resident stormed straight for the elevators.

I had to semi-run to catch up with her short yet surprisingly fast legs.

I guess time was money for her, too.

 

“Since you arrived so unexpectedly, I don’t have anything for you to do today.”she informed me as we stood within the elevator, “Just unpack your stuff and get used to the place for now. Be prepared to get up at 5:30 AM starting from tomorrow, as you’ll be responsible for getting us breakfast and driving me to the company building by eight o’clock every morning.”

 

‘Yikes’ was what I wanted to reply her with, but ‘yes ma’am’ was what I decided to go with.

I didn’t want to piss her off already… but I seem to have achieved just that somehow.

She was look at me weirdly so I mustered up the courage to ask her what’s wrong.

 

“Um… yes?”

“Don’t call me ‘ma’am’. It makes me sound old.”

 

Holy é… is she blushing?

Her cheeks look pink now, so she must be blushing.

From what though? Embarrassment?

Was she secretly super ancient? A witch in disguise, perhaps?

 

“Oh um… how about CEO-nim?”

“How old are you?” she responded instead of giving me an answer.

“Uhhh… I turned 25 this August.”

 

Ew, I’m 25 years old already.

I can’t believe time has flown past so quickly.

I can still remember my self-hype when I just hit 20, and that’s already 5 years ago.

Time sure flies past quickly when you’re struggling to survive.

 

Park Chorong nodded to herself after hearing my response. “You can call me ‘unnie’ then.”

 

Okay, why does she want me to drop honorifics all of a sudden?

Who the even dares to call their bosses so casually like that?

Is she trying to get me fired? Was that the tactic to get rid of me?

 

Well, no matter how weird I felt, I had no choice but to comply.

She is my boss after-all, and her words are absolute.

 

“Okay…? How old are you then, Cho… Chorong-unnie?”

 

My question earned myself a sudden glare, and I have no clue to what I did wrong.

Did she not just ask me to call her that, or did she not mean it?

What now? Time to die?

 

 

“You know it’s rude to ask a woman for her age, right?”

 

 

I blinked back at her in confusion. “… Does that mean I’m not a woman, unnie?”

I blinked some more when her gaze softened.

 

She’s… not actually mad at me?

Or was she going insane?

I really can’t tell.

 

 

“Sorry, you resemble a gorilla so much that I must’ve forgotten about that fact.”

“I… I honestly can’t tell whether if you’re joking or truly roasting the hell out of me.”

 

 

All of a sudden, she let out some laughter.

I felt my heart skipped a beat, either from nervousness or my useless gayness.

It’s probably because- for the first time ever since I spilt coffee on her shirt- she had a smile on her face.

 

 

“Of course that was a joke, you pabo.”

 

 

This side of my new boss… I think can get used to this.

 

Maybe Park Chorong wasn’t a feisty psychopath after-all.

Maybe Jung Eunji really did bless me with this job offer.

Maybe, just maybe…

 

 

 

Life’s finally starting to treat me a little better.