The Signed Contract

Started From Spilt Coffee

I was almost dozing off when I heard some high heels clicking against the concrete ground.

When I forcefully peeled my eyelids open, I wasn’t expecting to spot a stunning woman approaching me with a faint smile on her face-
But that’s exactly what I saw.

 

Did I die while waiting for Eye-Smile’s driver?

Am I getting escorted up to heaven?

But that’s impossible- I’m supposed to go to hell.

So why am I facing a literal angel?

 

“Are you perhaps… Yoon Bomi-nim?” she asked after reaching my side.

Instead of getting an answer right away, she had to see me slap my own cheeks as I tried to stop myself from ogling at her beauty so obviously.

She pretended she saw nothing, and I silently thanked her for her mercy.

 

“I- yes. It is I.” was the response I ended up blurting out. Internal cringe to the max.

Why do you always- especially in front of stunning people- act like you’ve only got two braincells, you useless lesbian?

Get a ing grip, please. “Did uh, did Jung Eunji send you?”

 

“That is correct.” she answered before giving me a polite bow. I bowed back so fast I swear I heard five of my bones crack all at once.

She’s truly an angel for ignoring that too, and now I’m truly ready to descend to hell.

“My name is Son Naeun. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Yoon.”

 

“Please, Bomi is fine. I’m not used to all that polite talk.” I scratched my head awkwardly. “Sorry for troubling you, by the way. It must be a pain in the to pick up a total stranger at five in the freakin’ morning. I hope you get paid extra for this.”

“There’s no need to apologise nor worry about me, miss- I mean, Bomi-sshi. Ms. Jung’s working hours are the exact opposite of regular day-job’s, so as her personal assistant, it’s incredibly normal for me to be up and running about at this time of the day.”

“Oh, well… that’s um, good to hear at least. Ha ha.”

 

 

After ending our brief chit-chat with my amazing communication skills, I followed the angel to this BMW that was parked on the side of the road.

She then helped me store my stuff in the trunk- and she even opened the door for me.

I felt like a posh b*tch for the first time in my life, and that was hella weird.

I’m definitely not used to such a treatment, nor do I think I’ll get used to it anytime soon.

Kinda sad to state that myself but that’s just facts.

 

The beginning of the drive was awfully silent, by the way.

Like, dead silent. Painfully silent. I-can-hear-my-heartbeat-and-that’s-disturbing silent.

It was to the point I tried to distract myself by listening to the sound of my own breaths- which helped absolutely nothing.

I even managed to choke on nothing.

Simply amazing.

 

“May I ask what you were doing there, Bomi-sshi?” I suddenly heard Son Naeun ask out of the blue, probably trying to save ourselves from the torturously awkward atmosphere herself. God bless her efforts.

I was actually expecting for that question to be thrown at me, since getting ordered to pick up a weirdo who was sitting by the river with nothing but a single luggage was definitely not an everyday thing. Nor was receiving the private phone number of a big CEO.

Or getting kicked out of your house without any warning.

 

Today was hella wild, man.

 

“I didn’t have a place to go nor a will to live, but then I remembered my encounter with your boss this morning and how she gave me her name card, so I decided to give her a call.” I answered her truthfully. “… I wasn’t expecting for her to actually pick it up though.”

“She’s the type to have her phone near herself at all times and sets her ringer to the max volume.” Son Naeun replied, “But that latter part is a habit she developed thanks to Ms. Park, since she used to always miss her calls and receive an earful of naggings afterwards.”

 

“Who’s that Park person? I didn’t know someone could scold her. I mean, she is the CEO.”

“Oh, you’ve never heard of her before? I was referring to Park Chorong-nim, the only person that has the power to educate Ms. Jung since she’s also the CEO of C&E. They are co-CEOs of the company.”

“Ahhh, I get it now. C&E, Chorong and Eunji… but damn, having two bosses must .”

“Personally and fortunately, I don’t find it that way.”

“Seriously? I only have one boss per job and that’s enough to make me lose my mind.”

“Ms. Jung and Ms. Park started the company together and have been leading it side-by-side ever since, so I think of their relationship as something quite admirable and pleasing to see. Their daily bickerings are pretty entertaining, too.”

“You’re their model employee aren’t you, Son Naeun? You don’t even talk sh*t about them behind their backs.”

“I’m simply a loyal and happy one. They are great leaders, after-all.”

“Must be nice working for them, then.”

 

 

As we drove on, I caught a glimpse of the sun beginning to rise out of the window.

That’s a clear indicator to how I was supposed to get ready for my baking shift, but I don’t think I’ll be sticking to my usual schedules this morning

I have no clue to how long this discussion of ours will take. I don’t even know if we’re actually going to hold a discussion, or if this was a trap my stupid- walked straight into that’ll end up with me being murdered. Typically horror movie stuff, y’know.

Either way, it’s wiser for me to mentally prepare myself for a second strike at the bakery.

 

Oh sh*t, I just realised something.

If I’m truly late for my first job, I’ll be sinning as an employee for two days in a row.

Flour-Boy’s probably going to fire me without sparing me that last chance… oh well.

As if I actually care about him and his stupid bread. His recipe doesn’t even taste that good.

 

But… what if I can’t make it to the triplets’ babysitting session either?

If she doesn’t get her three-hour nap, will that mother die from exhaustion?

Will that make me an indirect murderer?

Am I going to get arrested and thrown in jail just for skipping one part-time shift?

Is that how I’m going to die? Rotting in prison?

 

 

… Oh well, it all.

 

 

The ride ended as I was pondering to myself, and the door was opened for me once again.

I’ll never get used to this royalty treatment- nor will I ever know how Son Naeun managed to yeet herself out of her own door so damn fast to open mine without me even noticing the entire process.

Is she an angel, a personal assistant, or a goddamn ninja, the ?

 

“Please follow me. I shall take you to Ms. Jung’s office.” was what she said after retrieving my luggage from the trunk and hauling it for me.

I’m way too tired to be polite at this point, so I just let her do her professional thing.

I’m impressed enough to see that I can walk by myself still.

No coffee and no sleep is a bad combination, noted.

 

 

We were immediately greeted by three receptionists upon stepping into the company building, and I found myself getting stunned by two reasons:

First of all, this company’s first floor looked like the lobby to a goddamn five-star hotel.

Secondly, how the are these women smiling so warmly at five in the morning?

Especially at a random visitor who probably looks like absolute sh*t??

I can barely force out a smile at the triplets I babysit- yeah that’s right, kiddos.

Bomi-noona’s actually not a big fan of tiny humans, sorry.

Thanks for giving me a job though.

 

I was led to the elevator before the two of us simply stood there, waiting for its arrival.

That gave me the time to wonder… exactly why am I so calm right now?

Shouldn’t I be nervous? I was about to meet the boss of everyone within this building, and that’s a pretty big deal if I say so myself.

 

I mean, it’s technically not my first meeting with Jung Eunji, since I did spill coffee all over her friend’s shirt and had my saved, but still.

She’s the CEO of C&E Entertainment, for s sake.

I need to watch my mouth and keep my guard up, since I definitely don’t want to my morning up again like yesterday.

 

 

After silently panicking within my mind, we entered the elevator.

I watched her press for the 6th floor, and we were once again ingulfed by the awkward silence.

Neither of us bothered to start a small talk this time.

Maybe she’s feeling nervous in my stead, but her facial expression remains blank.

I noticed how that was her default look, as if there was a loading screen in her brain.

Still effortlessly beautiful, though.

 

 

Once the elevator allowed us to leave, I followed Son Naeun to this specific door that had the words ‘Jung Eunji’ craved onto its golden name plate.

I watched as Blank-Beauty give the door a few gentle knocks, instantly triggering a muffled ‘yes’ to travel back to our ears.

No doubt, that voice belonged to Jung Eunji alright.

Loud and bright like she always sounded, no matter if it’s five or eight in the morning.

 

I realised my nervousness wasn’t absent after-all. It was just delayed.

Because I found myself gulping when the door was pushed open, revealing Eye-Smile who’s casually sipping on a cup of whatever by her desk.

 

My first thought was: holy , her office was an absolute wreck.

There were folders piled messily on whatever flat surface that’s available, and random pieces of paper scattered all across the floor.

I even saw one with a footprint on it.

 

Heck, the only thing that’s tidy was her goddamn desk.

Probably to drink her tea in peace.

Priorities, am I right?

 

Seriously though, how does this woman even function in here?

And she’s still enjoying her tea as if everything’s perfectly fine??

Who is this unpredictable woman???

 

 

“Yoon Bomi-sshi!” she cheered loudly as we approached closer, placing her cup down safely so she wouldn’t make the same mistake as I did. “I’m glad you’ve made it safe and sound!”

“It’s all thanks to your assistant who’s a great driver.” I chuckled weakly back whilst accepting the hand she just extended. “I need to thank you for the ride, too. My has never sat on anything as luxurious or comfortable before.”

“That’s what I like to hear- oh and good job, Naeunnie! You’ve served our guest well.”

 

I watched as Son Naeun blushed from the compliment, and aw that’s ing cute.

The way Jung Eunji praised her was astonishing to witness, too; I’d never think an employee could have such a great relationship with their boss, since mine are all um… challenging to say the least, but I thought that’s the norm.

Of course, Jung Eunji’s entire existence was proving my assumption to be wrong, but I just have to know-

Which planet did C&E’s CEO come from, and where can I get myself a boss like her?

 

“Come sit, Bomi-sshi! Let’s talk comfortably… after I clean up some of this mess and actually free up some space for us to sit, that is.” Jung Eunji grinned sheepishly at the state of her sofas, trigging her assistant to immediately start clearing the area up.

I tried to help too, but I instantly got scolded by the office-owner.

Apparently she treats her guests like Gods and they weren’t even allowed to pick up a few pieces of paper off the ground.

Absolutely incredible.

 

“So… why are you being so nice to me?” I chose to start our discussion with the most straightforward question I could ever blurt out of my mouth. Even Son Naeun seemed pretty surprised to hear that conversation-starter.

I couldn’t help it though. My curiosity has reached its peak and I just had to ask.

 

Exactly why does she, the founder and leader of a multi-million company that has created the most influential superstars of our country, want to help me, a poor- stranger who totally ruined her friend’s morning?

 

Isn’t it weird? Sketchy, perhaps?

I destroyed her friend’s expensive blouse, for Christ’s sake, yet she wants to help me?

 

Was she secretly a mafia boss who’s recruiting more members to use as puppets of crime?

Was she luring me into a trap and trying to enslave me forever as a revenge for Dolphin?

What if she wanted to sell my kidneys to the black market?

Do I get to say a final goodbye to my nana if I asked?

 

“What do you mean by that?”

“Like, why are you trying to help me? We’ve only known each other for a couple of hours, and the only thing I managed to do during our first encounter was ruin your friend’s blouse with a big- coffee stain.”

“Well… that did happen, but I’m reaching out to your because you’ll be the one helping me if you ever choose to accept my offer.”

“… Huh?”

 

 

Her eyes arched into two crescent moons while mine widened in pure confusion.

We’re talking the same language, yet I have no idea what she’s saying.

Eye-Smile’s turning into Sketch-Woman instead now, and I don’t want that.

 

 

“Based on your encounter this morning, Yoon Bomi-sshi,” she continued after taking the time to admire my weird expression,

“I saw your potential with handling my partner.”

 

 

… Sorry mate, but that really didn’t help sh*t.

Hell, it made things even more confusing.

 

What partner is she talking about?

Is it Dolphin? Is she dating Dolphin?

Why would she want me to handle her though?

How does one handle even another person’s woman??

I am confusion. AMERICA EXPLAIN.

 

I managed to choke out an ‘excuse me’ after battling against my brain-fart.

She found that funny for some reasons and chuckled.

“You saw how feisty my unnie can be, right? I’ve been trying to tame her hot-headed temper, but so far none of my attempts have worked.”

“Yeah, I can tell.” I scoffed out loud whilst recalling the look on her friend’s face… but then I remembered who I was talking to.

 

I instantly slapped my mouth shut with both hands, my eyes widened in embarrassment and my cheeks clenched in pure fear.

Did I seriously just say that to a super-rich CEO?

Casually blurting out my usual sassy comments like that- I must be out of my mind.

 

This is why you’re receiving so much crap in life, Yoon Bomi.

You mad stupid.

 

 

To my undeserved luck, all Eye-Smile did was burst out into a huge fit of laughter.

I’m assuming this was the first time someone other than her partner has shown such disrespect, but she’s way too big of a saint to feel offended.

 

I grinned awkwardly as she wiped the tears that got squeezed out from laughing too hard, and she waited for herself to stop wheezing before opening again. “This is exactly why I like you, Bomi-sshi! You’re indeed the one!”

“I’m so sorr… wait, what? I am?”

“Yes. I truly believe that you have the power to tame my feisty unnie!”

“Thanks for believing in me already, but what exactly will I be doing to… tame her?”

 

I raised an eyebrow when Jung Eunji leaned closer towards me, her elbows now resting itself onto the coffee table in between us.

It was a pretty hot sight, just saying.

She also had a grin stretched from one ear to another, and I didn’t know whether to feel concerned or relieved from it.

 

 

“I’m offering you a job to become my partner’s personal assistant.”

 

 

The two of us proceeded to sit in silence as my brain tried to comprehend what she said.

She seemed to be puzzled by my reaction, but I was just as confused by her words.

I had asked my question in hopes to clear up some question marks in my head, but it obviously backfired and spawned even more question marks.

 

“I don’t need another job though…?” was what I managed to splutter out.

 

Another moment of silence.

This time it was her turn to look dumbfounded from my words.

I decided to elaborate for her, because one confused b*tch is enough per room.

Our confusion’s going to confuse Son Naeun soon.

 

“I already have five part-time jobs, Jung Eunji-sshi. I literally cannot handle another one without going insane soon, and I’m already half-way there.”

“The job I’m offering is full-time, though.”

“That just makes it even more impossible for me to accept!”

“If my offer has better pay and benefits, would you consider giving your other jobs up?”

“I need those jobs and their fast pay-checks, Eunji-sshi. It’s not as simple as you think.”

“If you don’t mind, may I ask why?”

 

I suddenly gripped tighter onto the legs of my trousers.

They’re definitely going to get wrinkled, but whatever.

Now is not the time to be worried about that.

 

I’m embarrassed enough to let her find out how I’m now homeless, let alone voluntarily open up to her about my current financial situation.

Even my own relatives don’t know about my struggles… oh never-mind, they’re a different case.

That’s because they don’t care. Yikes.

 

Still… I don’t think I have a choice to not confess.

She’s trying to help me, after-all.

 

“I uh, I have my grandma’s medical fees and my aunt’s loan-shark debts to pay off.” I scratched the back of my head. “I also have my own student loans to deal with, but they don’t rush me as much- compared to the other two, I mean.”

 

Jung Eunji nodded along to all of my words, her bright smile no longer visible on her face.

“Is that… is that why you have all those part-time jobs? And why you were removed from your house…?”

“Yes to the first half, and I don’t know about the latter part. I’ve paid my rent for the remainder of this month and all, but my freakin’ landlord just suddenly decided he has had enough of me. He said he’d transfer the remaining cash back, but I’m 98% sure he won’t.”

 

 

Ah… this ing .

 

Babbling to this rich lady who’d never relate nor understand what I’m going through.

We’ve only met this morning, yet here I am revealing myself as if she was my therapist.

I wonder how long it’ll take before she decides she has had enough of me too.

 

 

I no longer had the courage to look at her in the eyes, so I let my head drop down in shame.

Eye-Smile’s probably reconsidering her offer now that she has some silence to think peacefully in.

I wouldn’t blame her if she wants to take everything back.

I’m just a pain in the arse that nobody wants to deal with.

Even I don’t want to have anything to do with myself someti-

 

 

“Yoon Bomi-sshi.”

 

 

Holy crap.

She scared the hell out of me just by saying my name.

I’m amazed by how I managed to contain my scream.

Maybe I shat myself without knowing.

 

 

“Y-Yes?”

“Please let me help you.”

 

 

I lifted up my head and saw a completely different woman before me.

The playfulness in Jung Eunji’s eyes was gone, and instead she was staring at me with such… warmth. As if she was embracing me with her gaze.

Never has anyone looked at me that way and it’s making me feel really weird.

 

Gosh- am I flustered?

Am I going insane just from being treated nicely for once??

Am I developing Stockholm Syndrome without even knowing so???

 

“W-Why are you being so persistent, Jung Eunji?”

“A precious gem like you, someone who’s potential has yet to be shown properly, shouldn’t have to suffer so much after working so diligently.” she answered while her smile slowly returned back onto her lips. “As a person who has the capability to help you, I’d like to do just that.”

 

She’s the goddamn angel.

Son Naeun can still be one as well, but Jung Eunji is for sure a literal angel.

 

“Look… I really appreciate your efforts in helping me, but you offering another job for me is just not going to work. I don’t have enough time nor energy.”

 

Instead of responding right away, she gestured for her personal assistant and whispered into the girl’s ears.

I saw Son Naeun whisper something back, and the two of them nod simutaneously.

I merely blinked back at them both, hoping that they weren’t about to scream ‘SIKE, B*TCH’ before slaughtering me like the secret mafia cooperation they may be.

 

 

“How about this, Yoon Bomi-sshi,” Eye-Smile then continued as Blank-Beauty left the room, “if you accept my offer and become my partner’s personal assistant, I will personally deal with all three of your financial matters as a part of your pay-check. As for a place to stay, I’ll ask someone to lend you their spare guestroom while we hunt for a place of your own. I can’t guarantee how long the search is going to be, but in the meantime you won’t have to survive on the streets. How does all of that sound?”

 

 

My mouth automatically dropped agape upon hearing her insanely generous offer.

She seemed to be going all out for her partner, and I find that applaud-worthy.

Never could I ever imagine myself helping a complete stranger to this extent.

Maybe rich people’s brains work differently compared to ours.

Maybe that’s why I can’t understand her ways of thinking at all.

 

“So what do you think, Bomi-sshi?” she asked once more after I failed to give her a reply.

I shook my head- not in denial, but to snap myself out of my trance.

I needed a moment to think, because this was just… too perfect to be true.

 

I mean, come on.

A successful and rich CEO is offering to solve all of my main issues in life, just because she wants me to tame her partner’s hot-headed temper?

 

Does that not sound too easy?

Does she not know what a ‘therapist’ is?

Am I in the middle of being scammed?

Should I run for it while I still have the chanc- oops, too late.

Son Naeun’s now back with some paper in her hands.

Two against one, my weak could never win.

 

I guess Eye-Smile noticed how I was struggling with my thoughts, because she placed her soft hands onto my slightly trembling ones.

I got to see that warm look in her eyes once more, and for some reasons that was enough to calm my entire body down.

… A bit too calm though, because now I felt like I was about to crash into dreamland.

 

 

“I promise I’ll take care of you, Bomi-sshi.” she plead softly, “Just please… please help out my unnie for me.”

 

 

I knew what to do after hearing the sincerity in her deep voice.

 

Before I completely lost myself to my drowsiness, I grabbed onto the pen that Jung Eunji had placed down on the coffee table and scribbled my messy signature onto the piece of paper Son Naeun had returned with.

Obviously, like all the Terms and Conditions I’ve encountered throughout my life, I didn’t bother reading it at all.

 

I might’ve just signed my life away.

Traded my soul to the Devil, even.

 

I’ll never get to know for sure.

 

 

Because after slurring the word ‘deal’ my eyelids became heavy, my grip on the pen loosened, and before I knew it I was fast aslefhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj-