The Spilt Coffee

Started From Spilt Coffee

I must be the luckiest woman alive.

 

Out of every single human being alive on Earth, somehow, I’m always the one who suffers.

Like, seriously? 7.5 billion choices, yet the Devil still chooses me?

How obsessed do you have to be, man?

 

I was looking forward to that cup of coffee, too.

But damn, before I even realised it, it was already on the floor.

And- don’t ask me how- it was also on this person’s white blouse. It’s a half-brown blouse now.

 

Yikes, she’s furious.

I mean, I get it… well actually, I don’t.

 

I honestly don’t know how this accident happened. I don’t even recall bumping into her.

I swear she just appeared out of nowhere. Used some Harry Potter wizard sh*t or whatever.

 

“How dare you!” the woman screamed like a dolphin, her pitch so damn high she’d shatter some café windows if she’s not careful enough. Impressive soprano skills, I must say- but gosh, the look on her face.

I think I’m going to be a victim of a murder today, and I can’t do anything about it.

 

I mean, it’s already too late.

I’ve already wasted a perfectly good cup of coffee and destroyed someone’s snow-white shirt.

A fantastic job well done, Yoon Bomi. What a great way to start your morning… and hers.

 

 

“Do you know how much this cost?!”

 

 

Uh oh.

Now that’s a topic I’d never like to hear.

 

Her words made me do a doubletake at her shirt.

It was still dripping wet. And still very brown.

Within a closer inspection, it sure does look fancy- not that I have any knowledge when it comes to expensive clothing, but I think it’s a wiser choice to not question an angry lady who’s handbag has a big fat Gucci logo embroidered onto it.

 

Wow I just realised- I’m super screwed right now, aren’t I?

I can’t even afford my rent for the next month, let alone some rich person’s blouse.

Should I just sell my kidneys to the black market? I heard they’re worth quite a lot.

 

“I uh, I’m really sorry.” was all I managed to mutter back.

I wish I could say something more comforting, but I literally can’t.

I had absolutely nothing, and that was the truth.

 

I’m just a university dropout who has to work 5 part-time jobs to have a roof over my head and food in my stomach.

By food of course I meant instant ramen and kimbaps.

The healthiest diet. Skinny legend.

 

You’d think 5 jobs would rack up a fortune, but ha- no.

I’m still barely getting by, mainly because I’m covering my nana’s hospital bills while her own kids aren’t contributing sh*t.

My dad would if he was still here, but both of my parents are long gone. So are the money they had left for me.

My relatives somehow got their hands on it and spent it all.

 

Where did they spend it, you ask?

How the hell am I supposed to know- it wasn’t on me, that’s for sure.

All I received from them was a text message saying how I needed to find a place of my own, because their lazy asses weren’t willing to take care of me anymore. And that happened just a few months after my parents’ funeral, where they promised to take care of me.

 

It’s those situations that gets me wondering: just how big of an was I in my past life to receive such terrible karma all the time now?

Because based on how things have been going, I was by far the biggest anyone could’ve ever meet throughout their entire lives.

 

Honestly though, this angry lady can go ahead and use me as a punching bag and I probably wouldn’t even flinch.

She could swing at me all she wants until she’s fully satisfied. I’m numb to everything now so it’s all good.

I have nothing to lose nor any dignity left within me, so the only thing this lady can take away from me is my life- and even that’s not worth much.

 

 

I’m just so goddamn tired.

 

 

“Come on unnie, you know she didn’t do it on purpose.”

“Still, how can I let someone ruin it so carelessly?! This was one of my favourites!”

“It’s already in the past, alright? You can’t un-pour coffee.”

“But Eu-”

 

“Um, look...” I somehow dared to interrupt their little bickering, giving them a wave.

They both turned to look at me, one with curiosity while the other looked as if she was trying to stab me with her intense gaze.

Her fierceness might’ve caused my brain to malfunction, because the next thing that came out of my mouth were the words: ‘Just to let you know, I won’t be able to pay for that, like, I don’t have that sort of money. Sorry in advance.’

Maybe I’ve truly just lost my entire will to live.

 

I could literally see the fire igniting within the woman’s large eyeballs, and I couldn’t blame her.

I could’ve worded that a lot better, but like I’ve said before, I don’t really care anymore.

I don’t have the energy to care. I have 5 jobs to work at, for ’s sake.

I need all the energy I have just to finish them all.

 

 

“Are you kidding me right now?”

“No, not really.”

“Gosh, do you even hear this bitc-”

 

“Wow won’t you look at the time, unnie!” the kinder-looking woman suddenly interupted and glanced down at her Rolex dramatically. “We better get going if you want to clean yourself up before the meeting starts! Why don’t you go ahead first and I’ll meet you there with our drinks, hmm? I’ll treat you to your favourite!”

 

 

… How the heck did that work so fast?

 

 

Without another word- but probably with an extra death glare- brown blouse lady stormed straight past me and exited the store by herself, leaving our audiences confused and speechless. Sorry for the anti-climactic ending, guys.

 

I let out an exhausted sigh and turned to face the person who basically saved my , scratching my arm awkwardly when I realised how she was already looking at me. “Hey uh… thanks for that, and I’m sorry- again. I just don’t have anything to pay her for that, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a cheapskate. I legit can’t even take care of myself properly, let alone pay for her expensive-looking shirt.”

“Don’t worry about it, she’s just a drama queen.” the eye-smiling lady surprisingly chuckled back, flashing her pearly whites. “She actually owns plenty of shirts like that, so she shouldn’t remain mad about it for too long.”

 

Her smile was strangely mesmerising and contagious.

Like, I caught myself smiling like a dork back at her before I even realised it.

Unfortunately though, I don’t have the time to be happy right now.

Time’s ticking, and time is money.

 

“Well um, good day to you. I kinda have to rush to work now… but thanks again for your help.” I bowed my head slightly before I made my way towards the exit- though I didn’t make it far. I had stopped in my tracks because she had called out for me.

 

I turned back around and saw her hand extended my way.

She was holding onto a small business card.

 

 

“You’re in need of some help, I’m assuming? I think I can be of an assistance.”

 

 

Before I could even blurt out ‘what the ’, she took my hand and directly placed the card onto my palm.

I merely blinked at her sudden, straight-forward, and pretty goddamn weird choice of action.

“Just give me a call whenever you’re up for an offer, please.” was all she said before she strolled away to join the queue.

 

I was now confused and speechless myself, but I didn’t have the time to think about it.

I wasn’t lying when I said I had to rush to work, and now I’m pretty darn late.

Cheers for that, ‘drama queen’.

 

 

I carelessly shoved the card into my pocket and bolted for it, running nonstop until I arrived to where I was supposed to be:

A small-, old- bakery.

 

My boss was already staring at me when I barged into the kitchen.

Oh boy, here comes more scolding.

Round two already, huh.

 

“You’re late, punk!” he scoffed without knowing about the flour stuck on his face, tracing my movements with his eyes. “Two more strikes and you’ll get the boot! Do you hear me?!”

‘Yes sir.’ was the only suitable answer out of all the options I had in mind.

Despite my urge of spilling the rest, I ain’t going to risk getting into any more trouble.

I’ve ed up enough things already- and it’s only nine in the morning.

 

People would assume that working at a small bakery would be a piece of cake.

Yeah, it is- or it would be, only if the place wasn’t understaffed as .

 

It’s strange how my boss is threatening to fire me when I’m pretty damn certain he needs me more than I need him.

Like, I’m already responsible for three different sections at once. How the hell is he supposed to manage if I was gone?

I wish I could quit just to prove that point to him, but fortunately for him I need the pay. Lucky bastard.

 

It’s all because of how my snobbish boss wants to save his money by using one person as three, this first job of mine gets so freakin’ exhausting.

It was never supposed to be this torturous, nor were people supposed to eat powernaps for lunch, yet that’s exactly what I do after my bakery shift.

That’s just how messed up my priorities are… or you know, my life in general.

 

 

My next job was thankfully the easiest one out of the rest.

I just babysit these kids for their mum while she takes her powernap.

Hell, that woman pushed out three babies out of her in a row.

She had triplets when she only planned for one.

No wonder she had to hire someone to help her out a bit.

 

Amazingly though, the mum only sleeps for around three hours and that was it.

She’d be ready to struggle with three brats alone again, like, how the ?

I’m envious of how fast she regenerates her energy. I must learn from her.

 

 

My third occupation is a house cleaner.

All I have to do is clean this couple’s two-story house.

Simple enough, but physically draining. I count it as my daily workout.

At least it pays, and I need whatever I can get.

 

 

When I get to my fourth job, the sun’s already setting.

I become a Korean tutor for this American man, Bob.

 

Bob’s a brave dude, I mean, he moved to Korea all by himself despite of not knowing a single of Korean.

Such a bold man- also a bald man. Nice guy though.

 

He told me the reason behind his move was to start a brand-new life without anyone’s BS.

Sounds pretty fun, honestly. I’d totally give it a go myself if I had the money.

Too bad that I don’t.

 

 

Bob’s lessons are only one and a half hour long, so I get a short break before I start my final job of the day.

I tend to go back home to take a quick shower since I don’t want to stink like a piece of sh*t while I bartend behind the counters.

 

Yup, I work as a bartender in a rather fancy casino as my fifth occupation.

Don’t ask me how my resume got accepted, since ‘fancy’ would be the last word I’d ever use to describe myself, but it has been my main source of income ever since I got the job. I’ve probably used up the rest of my luck on that.

 

Anyhow, my shift starts at ten until the bar closes for the night.

I’m the last to leave since I’m responsible for locking the place up.

By the time I arrive home, it’s usually four in the morning already.

I’d clean myself up and instantly crash into bed. Sleep for dinner too, baby.

My alarm is set at seven, and the entire cycle repeats itself the next morning.

 

It’s due to my hectic schedules, I view coffee as an essential item.

The caffeine gets me through the day easier, so I’d usually gulp down a cup on my way to the bakery- but you know how that went today.

 

Damn, never would I ever waste my life source on an angry lady’s blouse again.

Especially when she looked like she wanted to rip me apart with her bare hands.

I swear she would’ve killed me if it wasn’t for her friend’s interference.

God bless that eye-smiling woman.

 

 

So, to make up for the lack of coffee in my system, all I want is a good night’s sleep.

I’ll try to leave this terrible day behind me, and everything’s going to be alright again.

Let tomorrow be an ordinary day, that’s all I ask for.

 

 

 

… But of course, what do I expect from my ing life?

 

 

 

It never gives me what I want, and only drowns me in pain.

I suffer no matter if I deserve the punishments or not.

As if my entire existence is a sin itself.

 

 

Just tell me, O Lord.

Why is my stuff piled up at the front gates to my place?

 

 

I had to squint my blind- eyes to confirm that it’s real.

A part of me had hoped that it was just the darkness messing up my visions, the fatigue kicking in and giving me hallucinations, perhaps.

 

But no.

 

Indeed, those were real objects on the floor.

My belongings, to be exact.

Scattered out in the public like trash.

 

 

Why?

 

 

“Umm, sir? Why are my stuff out on the streets?” I ignored how pissed-off my landlord sounded when he picked up my call, pinching my glabella as I tried to control my volume. “I still have until the end of this month to stay, remember? I paid properly last time.”

You always take so goddamn long to pay your bills, Yoon. I’ve had enough of your tardiness so I’m kicking you out!” he grumbled back, slurring his words from either sleepiness or soju. I can’t tell nor do I care. “Don’t even think about coming back, either. I’ve already accepted a new tenant and they’re moving in tomorrow at noon. Be thankful that I even bothered keeping your sh*t.

“Did you not just hear me say that I paid, old man? You can’t just do this to me!”

I’ll transfer you the remaining scrap of cash back tomorrow, alright? Now shut up and let me go back to sleep. How dare you call at this goddamn time, you crazy wench. Never dial this number ever again!

“Oi you old fart, I’m so gonna- hello? Hello?! OI!!!”

 

 

Wow, he hung up on me.

What a fine gentleman.

The best in town.

 

 

… er.

 

 

I used whatever strength I had left in me to stuff the essentials into my only luggage.

I abandoned the rest, because I really didn’t have the energy to care about anything else anymore.

That old fart can kick my and enjoy his time cleaning up my sh*t.

 

… I must confess, though.

… I didn’t think things could get this bad.

 

I thought becoming an orphan was bad enough.

I thought being abandoned by my relatives was bad enough.

I thought my life had already hit rock bottom, but I guess God loves being a .

 

I’m working so hard to provide for myself and my sick grandma, yet what do I get in return?

I became homeless within a single night without a warning, for ’s sake.

 

What have I done to deserve all this?

All I’m trying to do is live, or am I not allowed to do that either?

Am I just supposed to accept everything as the way it is?

 

 

Isn’t this a bit too much?

 

 

While cussing out all the swear words I know, I managed to drag my belongings and my half-dead self over to the Han River.

Even on a night like this, at least its scenery remains heavenly.

The Han River’s my go-to place whenever I needed to clear up my mind- or in this case, whenever I need a place to cry without disturbing anyone.

Its reflection of the moonlight usually calms me down within ten minutes, but tonight it had no effect on me. Maybe I’m too far gone by now.

 

Well, the sight of the water still attracts me, but tonight it was a physical attraction.

… I meant I want to walk straight into the water and simply drown myself.

 

Maybe I should. I mean, I have no family, no place to go, and no one who cares about me.

What’s the point of struggling like this? Why should I let it continue?

I ain’t a sadistic, and I am so, so tired of everything. I’m almost reaching my limit.

 

Ha, what if I do drown myself in the river and end up on the news?

That’d be an achievement, gaining a single day of fame as a dead person.

Dude- what if the fuming lady from this morning sees it?

Would she regret being such a b*tch over a cup of spilt coffee? Would she ever think it’s her fault?

 

 

… Wait.

 

 

Her friend.

Eye-smile chick.

 

Her business card.

 

I hastily rummaged through my luggage for the pair of trousers I had to change out of- which reminds me, I can’t believe I’m sobbing at the Han River in my bartending suit. Thank God no ones here to witness that hideous sight.

At least I managed to find the card. It’s just really tattered and sad looking now.

 

I proceeded to enter the digits into my phone without bothering to read its content nor caring about how it’s currently 4:30 AM.

Despite of not expecting for my call to be picked up, I still dialled the number.

I could feel my heart pumping loudly against my chest as I waited, and that’s really disturbing.

 

What am I nervous for?

What am I hoping for?

What could that lady ever do to cha-

 

Oh holy  she actually picked up my call.

 

 

Hello, this is Jung Eunji of C&E.” the semi-familiar voice replied brightly, somehow sounding energetic at such an absurd time of the day.

I was expecting to hear groans and cuss words for disrupting her beauty sleep, not Jung Eun… hold up.

 

Jung Eunji.

From C&E, as in C&E Entertainment.

 

Isn’t that one of the top entertainment companies out there? The one that debuted our country’s hottest girl group, Apink?

And wasn’t ‘Jung Eunji’ the name of their CEO?

Am I high from being sleep-deprived, or did I actually hear her correctly?

 

 

I shook my head to snap myself out of it before clearing out my throat.

“Hi um, this is… the blouse-destroyer? From the coffee shop this morning?” was how I introduced myself after realising the fact that I never gave my name to the woman. Oops, my bad.

 

Thankfully that was enough for her to remember me, and her light-hearted laughter once again travelled to my ears.

Ah, yes! I’ve been anticipating for your call, though I hadn’t expected for you to do so at 4:48 AM. You must be a super early bird, huh!

 

I felt my entire body burning up from embarrassment.

I should’ve waited for a more-appropriate time to call her, huh.

‘Super early bird’, eh. I wish that was the case here.

 

“Sorry for the weird timing, it’s just- I’ve ended up in a pretty bad state, and I recalled you saying something about how you can help me, so…”

Yes, I do recall myself saying that, too. Does this mean you’re up for an offer?

“If it can prevent me from sleeping on the streets then, I guess?”

Oh- um, you… don’t have a place to stay?

 

Oops, I blurted that out without even thinking.

That was terrible and embarrassing again. Good job Yoon Bomi.

“Ah… yeaaah I kinda got kicked out by my landlord just now. Found my stuff on the streets when I got back from work, so I guess that means I’m homeless, huh. Not the best way to end the day, but whatever.”

 

I don’t know how I was capable of revealing all that to her so casually.

I felt so natural and… it felt pretty good to talk to somebody about myself.

I haven’t had much social interactions ever since I became enslaved to my bills, and the only people I interact with were my co-workers and bosses.

I mean, who’d have the time to make friends and chat about their day when there’s five different places you need to rush to and work at?

 

 

I heard some indecipherable mumblings from the other side of the line before Eye-Smile resumed back to our conversation. Say, would you mind telling me your current location? I think it’d be best to discuss about the offer face-to-face, so I’m thinking of sending someone over. They’ll pick you up and and drive you back here- if that’s alright with you, of course.

“I’m fine with whatever, but where do you mean by… ‘here’?”

Oh, my current location. The company building.

 

Holy .

 

She’s inviting my poor to C&E?

What is going on right now??

 

“Oh um… okay.”

You don’t have to force yourself to agree with my suggestion. We can discuss things through the phone if that’s more comfortable for you.

 

Curse me and my awkwardness.

 

“Ah- no, no. I’m okay with it, really. I was just curious.”

Okay, that’s good. Where are you?

“I’m just chilling by the Han River, um, where the stairs are. It should be relatively easy to spot me, since I’m the only weirdo out here at 5 AM.”

Very well then.” her signature laughter travelled to my ears once more, “I’ll send someone over right away, Miss…?

 

The ends of my lips raise themselves automatically.

It’s been a while since I’ve introduced myself to someone.

 

 

“Yoon. Yoon Bomi.”

Yoon Bomi-sshi… I shall see you very soon.