Invisible

Divine: A Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Context: Four superheroes, each with differing abilities and personalities. Irene is the leader and Wendy is the apparent rogue member of the quartet.

Genre: Supernatural, slight angst.

 

Mist formed about the being as water nearly as cold as ice rained down from the shower onto her scalding hot skin. Her form shivered as she willed herself to contain her prowess. Yet, even as she did her mightiest to control her rage from within, her body threatened to betray her as temperature soared. Droplets turned into steam the instant they touched her bare body.

No, Irene, you cannot lose your temper now. She told herself.

Clenching the metal shower bar tightly, Irene’s body trembled, on the verge of losing her control. Irene would never allow her emotions to show before the rest, Joy and Yeri, two younger supernatural beings who viewed her as a role model and are still young to comprehend the devastating effects of their own powers should they lose it too. She could hear them fooling about in the common space and she shut her eyes tightly.

 

Irene wiped the condensation from the mirror as she stared at herself, into her very own scarlet eyes, a deeper shade than it was before, still unable to believe that she had let her emotions be stirred by an individual. An individual who had neither heeded her peaceful ways nor cherished everything that Irene had fought for her. Then, she saw the individual’s wicked smile in her own mind, so clearly as if it were reflected off the mirror. Irene’s eyes widened as she fought the urge to reach out and touch the individual that merely existed in her mind, for now.

Weak. Irene was so weak and she berated herself. Even after what the individual committed, multiple times over, Irene still could not stem her feelings for her.  

Bumps rose on her skin when she sensed that the individual had returned. Both senses of relief and dread flooded her. Throwing a bathrobe hastily over herself, Irene dashed out to meet her and guffawed in disbelief.

Irene’s eyes only saw Joy and Yeri idly unleashing their powers against one another as a mode of passing time. A weak spark of green from Joy met the wisp of purple from Yeri. Only the two of them and their magics. There was no one else visible.

Invisible.

Of course the individual she was expecting would not show herself. She always found it a chore to acknowledge the presence of others. And even during times like these, she could not bother to explain the situation to them nor Irene. Even when she had clearly done wrong and slain innocents. Even when she had risked their locations and all of their lives by doing so.

Rage seethed within Irene again as she could no longer tolerate that individual’s indifference.

Snatching the collar of the invisible individual who had thought to camouflage herself so well, Irene hissed into her face. “You really have no remorse, do you?”

The individual’s form slowly began to turn opaque, the reluctance in her appearance before others strongly evident.

Joy and Yeri both started in response at the outburst and the two stared at them in stunned silence. Their attention shuttled between the two of them, the furious expression on Irene and the nonchalant one on the individual. It was moments later that Joy finally found words to say.

“O-Oh Wendy is back. What is wrong, Irene? Did Wendy do something incorrigible again?”

“Beyond incorrigible,” the individual who had just returned, known as Wendy, threw her head back to two younger beings and said. A wry and canted smile made its way into her face.

It was that guiltless expression on Wendy that set Irene off. Fabric that was tightly held in Irene’s fists began to burn. Yet, that guiltless expression did not disappear and if Irene’s eyes were not playing tricks on her, it only deepened.

Irene was so mad that she did not realise Joy had shut her eyes tightly and was concentrating.

Telekinesis. The power to penetrate minds.

Joy was trying to read Wendy’s mind to witness for herself what had happened.

Wendy, whose mind was stolen into, had of course noticed. “Why do you even bother…” Wendy drawled.

Irene’s attention snapped to Joy then. “No, Joy!” She shouted but it was futile.

Beads of sweat formed on Joy’s fore

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter