Who You Gonna Call

Standing On The Edge of Us

If the world is ending
Right this second
If the sky is gonna fall
Who you gonna call?

One question.

One question, that’s all it took for Jennie’s walls to come crashing down, it’s been a year since she had last seen her face, since she last heard her voice, 365 days have passed since the day she mistakenly walked away , since she left her behind, since she made the worst mistake of her life. But the fans don’t know that of course they had their assumptions back then when all of a sudden they stopped hanging out, no more Instagram pictures, not interacting as much on concerts or on vlives, all of their ideas probably confirmed the day the split was announced. And now, now the fans think she’s happy, that she has moved on.

After all she made a career on her own, promo deals, variety shows appearances, magazine covers, music. So the fans thought she was doing fine, she had moved on. But boy were they wrong. Jennie tried to move on, tried to let her go, but she hasn’t done it, she can’t do it. She refuses to.

Who need you most of all
Who you gonna call?

So many times I stared at your number
Wish I could tell you how much I love you.

It all happened so fast, one look across a room full of people and she was done for, she was in love, this Aussie girl walks into the same elevator that she in with her guitar and the prettiest smile Jennie had ever seen and that was it. And then as if the world had heard her prayers they were both placed on the same group, and they were living together, spending every second of the day together and Jennie, Jennie couldn’t be happier. 

There was four of them living together, and those three girls became Jennie’s family, and so when her and Rosé got together the other two girls couldn’t be happier for them, supporting them and even covering for them. And Jennie...Jennie was living the dream. 

Yet there’s always a ‘but’ right? In this case, Jennie was living the dream but the thing about working in the entertainment industry is there are eyes everywhere, people watching your every move, criticizing you and that can make a young girl insecure...

Whole lot of unfinished business
The fight is stronger than our forgiveness
Been too long, too long
Tell me now who you gonna call?

It was crazy one day they were just normal girls  and 4 years later they were at the top, interviews, magazine covers, platinum albums, sold out tours, they made it, and through it all, people saw them as nothing but friends but Jennie knew the truth, the girls knew the truth… management knew the truth, they were dating for 3 years. And Jennie, Jennie was happy but she was also insecure that wasn’t a secret at least not between the four of them, and once again… management knew that.

Jennie still remembers that day, the day they got caught kissing in a black van, they got careless and Rosie sweet Rosie said it didn’t matter because the fans would love them no matter what, and for a second Jennie believed her and she felt relieved because she didn’t have to hide her or them, she thought their hiding games were over, but management didn’t see it that way.

The tears of sadness
Hurt and regrets
Can't take it anymore
So who you gonna call?

Good or bad news
Fame and fortune
When you've lost it all
Who you gonna call?

Jennie’s biggest mistake was listening to her head instead of her heart, listening to a group of people who didn’t care what was best for them but what gave them more money, they care about image and reputation, and that was her mistake listening to that group of people instead of the one person she knew would never lie to her, her biggest mistake was lying to her, she remembers it perfectly they called her in after the incident happened...

They played her, they played with her emotions, telling her people would never accept them, telling her that they were going down and that their careers would be over soon, and the only way to keep them at the top was to lie, to forget about Chaeyoung and change.

 So she did and it started with small changes, the way she dressed, the way she behaved at interviews, until eventually she started avoiding her…

Have you been tempted
Stared at my number
Wish I could hear you
Tell me your feelings.

***Flashback *** 

Jennie was sitting on the bed of her hotel room when her phone vibrated yet again. She didn't have to look at it to know it was either Jisoo or Lisa, Not Chaeyoung though, not after tonight. Closing her eyes, she tried to block out everything around her. To wish away everything she'd done.

Images flashed through her head, images that she wanted to forget. A tall guy with brunette hair that wasn't Chaeyoung’s. Brown colored eyes that weren’t Rosie's. Long, strong arms wrapped around her that weren't hers.

She opened her eyes slowly, not realizing they'd filled with tears. If only she had told Chaeyoung the truth about everything, if she had talked to the girls maybe things would end up differently.

It was the opening night of a new club in Seoul, management had arranged her date with the newest and hottest actor, Chaeyoung didn’t know this she had lied to her once again, telling her she would be arriving earlier, She had promised myself she’d tell her the truth later, but little did she know by then it was too late…

“Leave me alone, Jennie!" A voice echoed throughout the slowly-filling VIP area of the club. People looked at each other curiously as they walked to their table, stopping mid-stride to listen more closely.

"Chaeyoung, wait. Stop!—"

Jennie hustled into the hallway after her, nearly tripping over her feet as she  tried to catch up to her.

The brunette called after her in a strident tone, "He doesn’t mean anything! Chaeyoung, you have to believe me… please just let me ex..." She skidded to a stop when she noticed our audience, eyes widening in distress. "Maybe we should talk somewhere more private," she murmured, grabbing ahold of Chaeyoung’s arm to get her attention, but the latter only shook her arm free backing away from her.

Jennie could do nothing but look at Chaeyoung with teary eyes. "Ro-Rosie..." She breathed softly, 

"How could you do this to me? To us?" Chaeyoung shook her head in disbelief,

"It-it was a mistake, maybe we should—"

"Talk about this later? I don't think so." Chaeyoung cut her off sharply as she turned to walk away again.

"Wait! Chae, please!—"

"Please what Jennie?!” Her voice grew louder with each word,.. "...I wanted to talk remember? This past month I’ve been asking you, what was wrong but each time you said nothing! You think I would find out?! YOU’RE FAMOUS JENNIE PEOPLE ARE WATCHING YOU EVERY ING MOVE!! There’s pictures and videos Jen, and I gave you multiple chances to explain to tell the truth, but each time you lied! GOD! I knew you had cheated on me with him I just didn’t think you’d do it in front on me!" 

“No..you...you got this all wrong okay? Just please let… me explain... I… I… I was scared and management said that...”

She laughed sarcastically  “You were scared?! Well guess what so WAS I!!, But you didn’t see me changing who I was because of it, I thought you were stronger than that, I thought WE were stronger than that...”

So there Jennie was in her hotel room regretting every choice she’s ever made ever since they were caught kissing in the black van. Next day they were all called to management to let them know, Chaeyoung had requested to be released from their contract, the agreement was, one more album and she was able to go…

***End Flashback***

Sitting on the phone in my hotel room
All my friends are gone and I'm missing you
Been so long, so long
Tell me now who you gonna call?

If Jennie were ever asked to pinpoint the exact moment her heart broke in half, it would've been that fraction of a second in time. It's the look Chaeyoung had on her face that night, that’s what the she sees every time she closes her eyes, every time she fails to keep my mind otherwise occupied. It's Chaeyoung’s quivering voice that plays over and over in the silence of her room when she’s alone at night.

Whoever said "time heals all wounds" must've been fooling themselves.

Whole lot of unfinished business
The fight is stronger than our forgiveness
Been too long, too long
Tell me now who you gonna call?

To the outside world Chaeyoung had taken a break of the band because she wanted to grow as an artist, because she wanted to try a different genre, but on the inside everybody knew the truth. It was a rocky year, eventually she was able to talk things through with the girls, but not Chaeyoung, Chaeyoung had closed herself off from her since that night.

So when this teenage girl standing in front of Jennie at the meet and greet quotes one of Chaeyoung’s songs and asks her the question, “If the world was ending, who would you call?” Jennie closes her eyes and she see’s her lying next to me wearing nothing but a smile... and she realizes the question is not who would she call, the question is whether she’d answer or not…

If the world is ending
Right this second
If the sky is gonna fall
Who you gonna call?