Waiting for Summer

KwonChaeng One Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten years ago...


On a slow summer morning, a 17-year-old raven-haired girl was busy eating jellies in front of their house. She's waiting for her girlfriend to pick her up. They'll be leaving for their last summer camp before they go to college.

"What took you so long? I've been waiting here for about 20 minutes", Eunbi sulked.
"Sorry babe. I double-checked everything before I head out", Sian answered back with a chuckle.
"Let's go! I don't wanna be late. Yena's already at the meet-up place."
"Alright, alright. You seem so excited."
"Of course, I am! It's the last time I'm gonna see everyone."

Sian just smiled at her. They held hands going to the park where the other campers await.

At camp, Eunbi took out a box full of letters, photos and other small trinkets of her and Sian. She told her girlfriend that they'll comeback to this exact place ten years later to open the time capsule. They buried it under an old oak tree nearby their cabin.

Life went on and the couple were already just a year away from their college graduation. Unfortunately, not every love story has a happy ending. They broke up after Eunbi found out that Sian has been cheating on her.


Present day...


"I don't wanna go to summer camp, unnie!", Wonyoung whined.
"It's only for kids!", she added.
"But you are a kid."
"I'm not!"
"I'll be fifteen by the end of this month!"
"Still a baby to me", the older girl answered back while trying to hug her little sister.
"Let's go! I'll drive you to camp. I wanna know what's in there too nowadays."

Chaeyeon picked up Wonyoung's bag on the floor and put it inside her car. Wonyoung dragged herself outside of the house.

"You'll love it there, I swear"
Wonyoung didn't answer.
"I attended camp twice when I was still in high school. And I met Minjoo and Hyewon while I was there. We're now best friends, you see."
"Yeah, yeah. You've been telling me that for three weeks now, convincing me that I should attend camp too."
"Because it's nice meeting new faces", Chaeyeon started the car and drove away.


They reached camp after an hour and a half drive. Chaeyeon dropped Wonyoung at the largest cabin on camp where the other campers are. She parked her car and decided to stroll around for a while.

She walked to the cabin near the lake. It was where she stayed during her last summer camp. She hid a treasure map inside one of the pine trees beside their cabin. She put it inside a bottle and sealed it with a cork.

"Time for treasure hunt!", Chaeyeon said, excitedly.

She roamed around camp with her old sack bag in hand. Chaeyeon counted her steps carefully so she'll be on the right spot where she hid little ephemera when she was still here years ago. It had her cute pink wallet which Sakura gave her. Sakura was an exchange student from Japan and only stayed in Korea for a year. She misses her Japanese friend.

Chaeyeon continued with her treasure hunting and found a rectangular tin can. Inside are letters from Minjoo, Hyewon and the other girls who were with them before.

The last location on her map was at an old oak tree around cabin 4. But there are more than five oak trees near cabin 4. The ink was already smudg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter