Chapter 3

Gift of Truth

The Dragon smirked while looking back at the others. He motioned at the others before snapping his fingers and in that instance, Jinhwan disappeared from the arms of Bobby and Hanbin. Hanbin freaked out but Bobby, knowing the Dragon’s mysterious Gift, looked around to look for the head of the manor. The moment they made eye contact, the Dragon nodded at him and he gave out a sigh of relief.

 

“J-Jinhwan’s missing! W-what happened?” Hanbin asked, panic evident in his voice and fear crawling out of his veins.

 

“Don’t worry. The Dragon’s got Jinhwan.” Bobby answered before looking back at Hanbin. He saw Suho appear just beside Hanbin before shaking his head. “You--”

 

“I should show you to your room as well Hanbin. I’m sure you’re quite exhausted. You’ve got quite a morning tomorrow. You’ll need all the rest you can get.” Suho said, smiling at Hanbin who was still jittery about losing Jinhwan.

 

“At least let me talk. The twins said you were looking for me.” Bobby said, looking at Suho. The older just shrugged his shoulders before smirking at Bobby. The younger understood what it meant before looking back at where the Dragon was but he was already gone. Bobby clicked his tongue before turning on his heel to head out.

 

“But… it’s midday… why do I need to…?” Hanbin asked, unable to focus due to his worries.

 

“When was the last time you properly rested?” Suho asked him.

 

Hanbin opened his mouth to answer but he couldn’t give a proper one. When was the last time he ever rested well? He was unsure and he didn’t even know. He’s been out too long that he didn’t even have a proper notion of time and date anymore. He’s surprised he’s still alive even after days of staying out in the open. He sighed before seeing Suho smile at him.

 

“Don’t worry… You’re not the only one who we found like that. There’s a lot of Gifted who end up outside. We try our best to look for them and help but. With the Dragon’s help we’ve managed to help tons of kids who are now part of society. Most of the Gifted kids here have rare ones that’s why we’re… hidden. Away from civilization and away from possible danger.” Suho explained as he led the way to Hanbin’s room. The manor had a huge hallway with doors and doors. But what confused Hanbin is that when Suho opened some doors, it only contained stairs and some led to another hallway. It was like a whole maze inside the manor.

 

“W-wait… Rare? And… And why is this place suddenly like a maze?” Hanbin asked, trying his best not to be left behind by Suho’s fast pace.

 

“Well… No one likes to share where they sleep. Our rooms are our sacred place… it’s where you’re supposed to be able to relax right? So the place becomes a maze when you try to go to a place you’re not allowed to. In your case… it’s acting up because you’re new here I think. Unless we get you your own room, it’ll keep doing this.” Suho said, clicking his tongue when he opened a door to see a wall. He sighed before scratching his head.

 

“It’s supposed to give you a room now after Dragon commanded it but it looks like it’s not time yet.” Suho said.

 

“I’m...” Hanbin started but seeing Suho’s confused face, he silently whispered the rest “confused...”

 

They both sighed when Suho opened another door only to find the kitchen behind it. They were both surprised to see a very beautiful lady standing by the counter, looking at the cookbook on it. She noticed their stares and she immediately smiled at them.

 

“It looks like you’re lost.”

 

Hanbin felt like those brown orbs were familiar. The lovely milky skin and the beauty she possessed. He was unsure of it but there was something about her that reminded him of Jinhwan.

 

“Ah! Goddess! It looks like we are.” Suho answered, stepping into the kitchen. Hanbin was rooted in his spot, still in awe of her beauty.

 

“You should come in, once the door closes it changes the space.” Suho said and Hanbin quickly entered the kitchen before the door closed. Suho noticed Hanbin’s confusion so he opened the door again only for it to turn into a storage area for food. Hanbin’s eyes widened in surprise. The manor was quite something and he’s surely confused beyond words.

 

“Suho-yah, how many times do I have to tell you that I’m not supposed to be called that?” The woman said, scrunching her face to exhibit her dissatisfaction. Suho just scratched the back of his head, “But the Dragon said--”

 

“I’m Dara. You can just call me Dee.” The woman said, reaching out her hand to Hanbin. But before Hanbin could even hold her hand to shake it, the Dragon suddenly appeared in front of him. His hand on the woman’s before pulling it aside and furrowing his brows at her. “No one’s supposed to call you Dee!”

 

“Ji… I’m not a Goddess.” She reasoned but the Dragon just whined before shaking his shoulders. “But you’re my Goddess.”

 

“So you call me Goddess, but let them call me Dee.”

 

“But I call you Dee!” 

 

“You’re so unreasonable.”

 

The woman just giggled and the Dragon smiled at her before wrapping his arms around her and putting his chin on her shoulder to show off his puppy eyes.

 

Hanbin was terribly shocked to see the same man threaten him moments ago turn into a fluffball the next. His mind was already going overdrive with the manor’s confusing layout and then this 360 degree change was something that caught him more off guard.

 

Suho suddenly cleared his throat, looking away while still scratching his head. The moment the two lovebirds heard him, the Dragon glared at them but still had Dara in his arms. “This is Goddess. You’ll address her as that and never call her Dee.”

 

The two can already feel the atmosphere in the kitchen become heavy but Dara simply poked the Dragon’s cheek for him to change. “Don’t listen to this dragon. Call me aunt Dee.”

 

“But I’m the only one allowed to call you Dee!” the Dragon whined one more time, this time stomping his feet. “You kids better call my wife Goddess. Besides why are you here? Arent you supposed to bring him to his room Suho?”

 

“Thats what I was doing but the doors didnt want to cooperate.”

 

“Did you let him open the doors?”

 

“Ah!” Suho looked surprised. The Dragon just rolled his eyes before standing up straight. He still had his arm over Dara’s shoulder before putting his other hand on his waist. “The doors won’t show you to your room unless you ask them to. This manor is created for the Gifted and thus it will only help you if you ask for help. So you should try opening the doors, Hanbin.”

 

Hanbin bit his lower lip before facing the door they just went through. He was sure it changed into a food storage not but he still took a step towards it and held on the doorknob. He thought of the room he used to have in their house, somehow, deep inside his heart, he hoped that he could still see that same room.

 

When Hanbin was opening the door, a sudden memory of Hanbyul screaming at him stopped his hand. The others immediately felt Hanbin’s change in mood but they couldnt really help much since this was Hanbin’s internal battle with himself.

 

Once the door opened, Dara gasped. It looked like his room when his Gift went out of control. The burnt room was black and filled with ashes and crisps or ember. Hanbin felt the air knocked out from him when he saw everything again, memories of that night started crawling into his consciousness and the feelings of guilt stepping on him.

 

“It wasn’t your fault.”

 

Hanbin looked to his side to see the Dragon standing there. He was looking at the room just like he was. He looked back at the room before talking.

 

“I… did that.”

 

“No. Your Gift did. And thats why you need to control it, so this won’t happen again.”

 

“Will… I be able to?”

 

“For Jinhwan’s sake… You’re supposed to.”

 

Hanbin looked back at the Dragon to see a glint of worry pass by his eyes. Though they welcomed him in this place, he hasn’t heard what they would do to Gifted that couldnt control their powers. He felt a cold shiver run down his spine when the Dragon looked down at him with threatening eyes.

 

The Dragon raised his hand before snapping it and the room slowly turned back into the room that he used to have. From that smallest scratch to the biggest furniture in the room, everything was just the way as he could remember it.

 

“You’re here because we want to help you. The question is, will you stay to help yourself?”


 

--- --- ---

 

Hanbin was woken up by a big shake in the house. He saw his things shaking in his room and there was only one explanation, an earthquake.

 

He immediately stood up, nevermind that he forgot to wear a shirt, and immediately headed to the door. The only thing in his mind was to get out, so the door immediately showed him out. The moment he stepped out he felt a whole lot of bodies stumble on him.

 

“Morning weaklings!” Junhoe grinned, hands on his hips while laughing proudly. He immediately received a hit on the head from his trainer for the day, Kyungsoo. The older Gifted sighed before helping everyone stand up.

 

“You hang out too much with Sehun and you end up like this.” Kyungsoo mumbled before looking at Sehun, who was also one of the people who fell in Junhoe’s trap.

 

“What’s with this kind of wake-up call Junhoe-hyung! It’s so unfair...” Donghyuk whined. 

 

“Tell me about it. I was just about ready to escape into the darkness.” Chanwoo answered.

 

“You were sound asleep, if I didnt wake you up you wouldnt notice.” Yunhyeong said, looking at his twin who just grinned at him.

 

Bobby just clicked his tongue before sweeping off the dirt on his clothes. Kyungsoo helped Suho and Sehun stand before the two helped Kai, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Hanbin grunted before noticing a hand stretched out to him. He looked up and saw Chanyeol reaching out his hand with a timid smile on his face.

 

“Hey… You alright?”

 

“I think so...”

 

Hanbin reached for his hand and immediately realized that Chanyeol was the man the Dragon talked about. Something about Chanyeol’s warmth reminded him of himself. There was a strong sense of connection between the two of them and even Chanyeol felt it.

 

“So… you’re the new kid huh? Sorry you had to have your rest cut short.” Chanyeol said, smiling with a timid air around him. Hanbin just nodded before giving back a smile. “M-My name’s Kim, Hanbin...”

 

“I’m Park Chanyeol.”

 

“Park, Chanyeol?” Hanbin asked, remembering what the Dragon had said yesterday. “Y-you’re the one who has fire too!”

 

“Ah… y-yeah… the Dragon told me a little about you… Well... he said a lot actually.” Chanyeol snickered which made Hanbin cower. He wasn’t scared of the older but he wasn’t sure what the Dragon could have said. “You dont have to worry much cause this place is made especially for people like us. We’re destructive… but this place can take it.”

 

Hanbin wrinkled his forehead, puzzled at what the older meant. Chanyeol just grinned at him, assuring him that everything’s going to be alright.

 

“I think we better start your training too.”

 

Hanbin nodded, he had an eventful day yesterday but more than that he thought about the dragon’s question.

 

“You’re here because we want to help you. The question is, will you stay to help yourself?”

 

Hanbin sighed before looking back at Chanyeol with a different look in his eyes. He looked like he had finally thought of an answer to the question and Chanyeol liked what he saw. The fire in his eyes were proof that he found his resolve.

 

“Hanbinie!!”

 

Everyone suddenly looked at the source of the voice and saw Jinhwan running their way. They wondered how he was the only one who didnt fall for Junhoe’s joke, again.

 

“Hanbinie! Before you start your training, I wanted to give this to you!” Jinhwan said, pulling Hanbin’s wrist and putting a woven bracelet on it. Hanbin looked at Jinhwan with confused eyes but the other just smiled at him. “It’s a good luck charm. I’m not really good with anything and I’m not Gifted but I made this one to cheer you up. I hope you always remember me when you see it.”

 

Hanbin’s lips immediately curved into a smile. Jinhwan was truly a blessing and he was convinced that he was an angel. He immediately held Jinhwan’s hand to thank him.

 

Chanyeol stood there, watching them with a smile on his face when he felt a cold air come from his side. He immediately turned to see what happened and glaciers had already formed around Bobby. The guy had his hoodie on, so it was hard to see his face, but one thing was certain, he was not happy.

 

The other older Gifted were already prepared to pin him down if they had to but Jinhwan was fast to notice Bobby’s unsatisfied mood. Jinhwan gave Hanbin a tight hug before walking towards Bobby who seemed to have stopped making the glaciers when he noticed Jinhwan going near him.

 

The darkness that surrounded Bobby was immediately replaced when Jinhwan took a peak into the hoodie to smile at Bobby. He was obviously flustered at the cuteness that popped right infront of him so he immediately looked away.

 

Jinhwan wrinkled his forehead, surprised that Bobby would look away from him and then he immediately realized the situation. “Jiwonie… do you… miss them?”

 

Jinhwan was too innocent to realize that Bobby’s irritation was coming from his jealousy. In truth, Jinhwan thought that Bobby’s unsettling mood was due to him missing his family but the latter’s emotions weren’t as deep as he had hoped.

 

Jinhwan thought hard before realizing what to do. Something he always sees his mother do to his father when he was frowning or even moody. Jinhwan tiptoed and planted a kiss on Bobby’s cheek which immediately cause the glaciers to melt. Bobby looked at Jinhwan who was smiling brightly at him, quite pleased that what he did seemed to have helped Bobby’s mood to improve tremendously. He hugged Bobby tightly before wishing him good luck and finally bouncing away from the training area.

 

Everyone that was watching slowly smiled and teasing finally erupted.

 

Bobby glared at everyone but they could all see the blush that was still on his face. He couldn’t even stop himself from smiling.

 

On the other hand, a fuming Dragon was gripping on the metal supporter on the balcony as he watched what just happened. The metal supporter broke into pieces before the Dragon heard someone giggle beside him.

 

“Looks like you’re not the only whipped for your child, Ji.” Dara husband as she stood beside him.

 

“He… He kissed Jiwon… He kissed Jiwon, Dee!” Jiyong growled which bent the metal even more. Dara cupped his cheeks, pulling him to face her. She smiled at him before planting a kiss on his cheek. “And where do you think he learned that?”

 

“From you.” Jiyong grumbled, slowly losing the tension he was feeling.

 

“From me. And why do you think he did it?” Dara asked after planting another kiss on Jiyong’s other cheek.

 

“Because he sees you do it to me when I’m out of control.” Jiyong answered looking directly into Dara’s eyes.

 

“Exactly. He learns from what he sees from us. So it’s partly your fault too.” Dara giggled before stopping when Jiyong held on her waist to pull her for a kiss. Eyes closing and hands wrapping around his nape, the two were lost in their own world yet again as the others started their training once more.



 

A grin slowly formed on his lips as he looked at the couple from a faraway distance. Eyes filled with rotten intent that would send shivers down one’s spine.

 

“Found you~!”