IV.

with you ; na jaemin

"wow, your base is pretty big. how do you guys even build this?" yuri said as she looked around with amazement in her eyes. jeno could only smile at his sister's reaction to the smallest things that she finds cool.

jeno decided that yuri should have a tour around their base before he could tell her what's truly happening in the castle. he couldn't believe how calm his sister looks; skipping right beside him as though nothing significant happened.

"i can't believe how much you just accept that all of these are happening."

"you don't know how incredibly happy i am to be able to leave the castle after so many years. actually, no. my whole life."

jeno almost teared. all these years, he thought that at least his sister would receive the best treatment that she deserves. but she can't even leave the castle? that's ridiculous. this adds up the reason why he wants to destroy him even more. his fists clenched tighter as he recalled flashbacks from the past.

"hey, that garden looks so pretty. can we enter?" only her voice. his sister's voice can calm jeno down at that moment. he doesn't want to show her his unreasonably emotional side. that's not manly (to jeno). jeno gave his eye smile and proceeded to hold her hand, bringing her to the location where he often visits with renjun when he needs time to control his emotions.

there, yuri can't stop mouthing 'wow' at the beauty of the garden that these people personally build. different kinds of plants; there's even butterflies and other creatures that she barely saw her whole life. there is an indoor garden in the castle. but of course, it isn't as complete as this garden. the castle's too gloomy.

one of the plants caught her eye. she only managed to see it in the picture books that taeri showed her before — the beauty of the world outside the castle. 

"is this a rose?" yuri spoke as she bends down at the same eye level as the flower. jeno can't help it but gave her a sad smile.

it's too beautiful for her even to touch it. 

"yeah, and it's pink." jeno said.

"i like how out of many roses that i knew of and are here, my eyes caught on the pink one. it reflects the meaning of it." 

"hmm? what meaning?"

"happiness." jeno's happy too. despite the environment she lives in, she grew up being different than what he expected. his sister knows what is right. he wonders if anyone in the castle teaches her to be the way she is now. if there is, he can't wait to meet her. or him. if it's a 'him', maybe he'll think twice.

as much as he wants to let her sister roam around the base even more, he needs to tell her everything. the truth. so that no one else in the kingdom suffers because of the man that's currently at the throne.

"let's go, yuri. we cannot waste any more time."

yuri nodded and held jeno's hand, which he offered. 

as they walk deep into the garden, they saw a beautifully decorated shelter, filled with flowers and hanging leaves that naturally grew on the walls. jeno quickly wiped off some dirt that was on the chairs nearby and let yuri sit, under that same shelter. both of them get comfortable before jeno prepared himself for the long story.

____________________________________________

our father, the king, he's always been the best. both as a father and as a king. when he's king, he was stern and firm, but always fair. his leadership skills, his knowledge, his fighting skills; everyone respects and admires that, including me. when he's a father, he drops his sternness and firmness and become the most loving father we could ever have. despite not meeting him often due to his busyness with handling the kingdom, he tries his best to be the best father he could ever be. even to mother, he's an incredible husband. you were still a baby then, so you won't be able to remember anything.

until one day...

mother suddenly ran to my room as i had my abilities class. her dress was tainted with unknown dirt, and her hair was heavily messy. as though she was just from a fight. even the teacher was shocked by the sight.

queens rarely fight.

"jeno, you have to listen to me, alright? this is sudden, but i want you to be independent from now on. run away from here, and be the brave and strong person that you wanted to be." i was still young, so i didn't understand what she meant. she gestured the guard to drag me away before i could understand the situation. i remembered i was too shocked to even cry at that moment and mother running back to where she was from. 

the guard just carried me and kept running. running straight, just wanting me out of the castle area. 

"what about yuri?" i asked the guard but i was given no reply. just his quick breaths from running. he found a horse and placed me on the horse before he rode the same horse, sitting behind me, making sure we're going as fast and far as possible.

somehow, we arrived somewhere that i don't know of but similar looking to our castle, just bigger. maybe it's another kingdom. the big gates opened for us to enter. once we were near the entrance of the castle, both of us got down and walked in. we were greeted by a different king and queen and of course, out of respect, we did our respectful bows. 

"why are you here, in the kingdom of diamond?"

before i can hear the guard speak, the king gestured the other guards to bring me away from the conversation. and that's where i met na jaemin. prince of diamond. we clicked quite well and hence, became the best friends that we are now. he was having his own abilities class and i learnt about it. he can make use of my ability and make it stronger than it normally was. it's incredible. 

we were having fun and didn't realise a few hours had past. just as i tried to forget about the situation at our own castle, i recalled back the words mother said before we left.

run away from here, and be the brave and strong person that you wanted to be.

"i don't think i can do it, mother. i don't think i can." jaemin got shocked as tears starting to fall from my eyes. the seriousness of this situation only hit me now. why did mother said that? is she going to die? where was father when this happened? how...

before more unanswered questions popped out of my head as i cried, jaemin hugged me as tightly as he could.

"my mother said that hugs can calm people down." he said as he pat my back, assuring that he's there for me. i let myself cried even more and broke the hug. jaemin then patted my head. 

"everything will be alright."

just as he said that, the guard that was with me from the start, ran to us and grabbed our hands. 

"let's go." both of us couldn't even question him but somehow, we were also running away from jaemin's kingdom. 

throughout the journey, we were all quiet. both of us were thinking of the worst about what happened in our castles. as much as we want to know what happened, we don't want to disturb the guard, who was not abandoning us; despite the horrendous journey that we have to go through. from wild animals trying to attack us while we were resting, to thieves, trying to steal our valuables, especially the limited amount of food supply we had. 

we arrived deep into an unknown forest which has a well-lited house in it. the guard knocked the door to find a fine young lady, who's face suddenly lit with happiness when she saw the guard. both of them hugged as though they never saw each other for years. she invited us all in after that.

after resting and eating the food that the lady cooked for us, the guard decided it's time to explain to us what happened. 

"i'm sorry, mr. guard. i know i'm a terrible prince, but i still don't know your name."

despite the situation, he chuckled.

"my royal highnesses, my name is choi seungcheol. and this my sister, choi taehee."