The Moon Hub

The Icarus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
01   THE  MOON HUB    

“Get your back here. Now, Yoongi.”

The sound of his brothers' voice crackled over the intercom in his ear, the sound loud in the quiet of space. Gorram, he was loud as frak. Yoongi adjusted the balance of the oversized plasma cutter in his hands, his left moving to flick the large off switch on the side of the machine. He released his hold on the machine, it floated lazily next to him before he pushed it in the direction of the open cargo bay doors.

“What the hell, hyung, I'm comin' back.” Yoongi groaned out as he took two weightless hops from the dilapidated hunk of what was once a very nice space cruiser. Now, it was a scavengers treasure trove. The other didn’t answer didn't come across the coms as Yoongi made his way over the cruiser and pushed off towards the cargo bay of the 'Scavengers Dream'. A rust bucket of a cargo ship that took out civies from the Moon Hub on collection trips every few weeks. The brothers have been on the Dream for about a week and Yoongi was glad they were supposed to go back to the Hub the next day cycle. 

Yoongi passed under floating debris, large chunks of metal that were distorted with age and heat. The cruiser they're hacking away at looked like it had once been a great ship but was in some kind of battle. A fierce battle that tore it apart, leaving gaping holes in the hull and the landing gear tore clean off. The ers and engines must have been hit first because there was only twisted black metal left of where they should have been.

 He passed through the cargo bay doors of the Dream and grunted as he hit the wall inside of the bay, barely dodging a crane that was swinging a piece of the cruiser's hull he had already cut up. He kicked off the wall and floated towards the airlock doorway. Yoongi pulled the bulky spacesuit through the doorway and wrinkled his nose as the high-pitched female voice of the AI system started rambling on in his ear. 'The Scavengers Dream welcomes you back, Minwoo Yoongi! I hope you had an eventful trip out, in twenty seconds the room will be pressurized to match The Dream's, and the gravity would be activated. Please do not attempt the remove your suit before the all-clear!' The door clanked shut behind him. 

He hated the AI system on the ship. It was too damn cherry for being on a scavenger ship. 

Yoongi righted himself in mid-air, holding onto the two hand loops above him, and waited as the AI counted down. He landed on his feet as the weight of the suit pulled him down to the floor. The male hated the feel of gravity returning to his body. The weight would settle in his bones first, the press of the spacesuit uncomfortable without the weightlessness of space. When he looked up towards the door, Jiho was standing on the other side of the airlock, waiting for him. Scowl already in place. Dammit, all to hell.

“What did I do this time?” He questioned the elder through the comms, as he turned to slip the round helmet off his head. You would have thought that they would have better space suit by now, but nope, the bulky s were all they had for the two humans on the ship. Shaking out sweat stuck red hair as he tried to walk past Jiho. Only to be yoked backward as the elder grabbed Yoongi by the collar of the suit.

“You little , you know you’re not supposed to be out there,” Jiho growled in Yoongi’s face. He smacked his brother's hand away so he could move to take it off. The gorram thing was heavy.

“It's no big deal. Jiho-hyung. I got the all-clear from the ship medic before going out there.” Yoongi said off handly as he started to unbuckle the numerous latches and twisting others to pull off the pieces.

“The Dreams medic is at dealing with humans. That’s not the point, Yoongi. You broke your leg in three places, fractured two ribs and cracked your skull! The Hub doc said the depressurization or simulated gravity returning to your body could rebreak something. They said at least a year in simu grav before going out again. You’re a fraking idiot. It’s only been eight months!" Jiho lectured as he took the pieces from Yoongi and set them on the stand that was supposed to sterilize the material but has been broken for years now. Even when getting yelled at, Jiho couldn't stop the need to help him. Damn, how the hell was he supposed to fight back knowing his older brother was right. 

“I know, Jiho-hyung. I know. I was careful. Made sure to avoid any large pieces of machinery, and stayed away from the other savvies. I also asked the AI to depressurize at a slower rate, and the same when I returned.” Yoongi sat on the foot bench that was a few steps away from the suit rack. He bit his bottom lip to hold back a pained noise as he bent over to pull the boots off. They were heavy little s, and his ribs fraking hurt.

Jiho scoffed and waved a hand at his face. “Don’t think I don’t know your face. -head. I've been staring at it for twenty-one years. You’re in pain. Gorram Yoongi, you need to… oomph.” Yoongi chucked a boot at Jiho to shut him up.

“I’m fine Jiho! Stop worrying so much, I’m not a kid anymore,” Yoongi sighed out as he finished removing the suit and placed it on the rack. He adjusted the suit so the magnetic hooks would keep the suit in place when the ship settled. He then adjusted the unisuit that clung to his sweaty body. He fraking despised these things, they were tight in all the wrong places.

“I'm gonna worry, you little . Dad-”

Yoongi cut in, “Dad’s dead, Jiho-hyung. He’s been dead a long time,”

He moved over to lockers that lined the other side of the small airlock room and rummaged around the one he put his in. He ignored Jiho’s lecturing that was still going on behind him. Something about how Yoongi was irresponsible when was he going to grow up, blah blah blah. He slipped his feet into his favorite pair of boots, gently tying his right boot. They were styled after an ancient Earthen boot brand that had been popular in the 20th century. For being a 42-century remake from old documents, he had to say they did a good job 'cause he loved them. They were also expensive as . Yoongi usually wore anything styled after the 20th century Earthen clothes. His brother, on the other hand, liked to wear whatever the current fashion was. The older male was still going on about how their father told him to take care of Yoongi and watch out for him, and blah blah blah.

As he slipped a loose long-sleeve shirt over his head, he glanced at his brother, who looked like he was going to a brick. “Hyung, stop it. I feel fine, there’s nothing to worry about,” Yoongi pulled his bag out of the locker and moved past the other as he spoke.

“That’s not going to stop me being worried about you, -head,” The elder huffed out as he followed Yoongi, yanking the younger's bag off his shoulder and tossing it over his own. Yoongi relented the bag without fuss. 

“When are we going to be back to the Hub?” He questioned his brother as he made his way through the long metal hallways and up flights of stairs towards the crew quarters. He heard the elder groan as he followed Yoongi.

“We’re supposed to finish loading that last cruiser then warping back by the end of the day cycle. If we’re lucky then within two cycles. You know how this frakin’ rust bucket lets itself out of warp early when it backfires.” Yoongi's laugh was dry. 

It wasn’t like they wanted to be on the Scavengers Dream. It was more like they were forced. When living on the Moon Hub, you needed a job, something to pay your resident dues, or they booted you right off the hub.  It was lucky for Yoongi and Jiho that their father taught them the basics of engineering and avionics. Jiho taking over Yoongi’s education when they finally landed on the Moon Hub. They spent more time in the learning center going over maintenance manuals then they did with other children. Taek, while a decent being, didn’t care for much past food and talking about ‘the old cycles’. At least they had had a roof over their head until Jiho was eighteen and got them their own shuttle. 

“Yeah, I checked the warp drive the first cycle we were here, that needs to be replaced and the Cap’ is too cheap to buy a new one. It's held together with flash tape, string, and hope, hyung, fraking flash tape. That only deflects heat, doesn’t fix broken .” Yoongi ran a hand through his hair, huffing in annoyance. The Dream's crew were cheap as frak and only paid them by the pound if you brought enough in. 

Jiho walked in front of him to hit the unlock panel to their quarters. The pale-haired male threw Yoongi's bag next to the unmade bed as Yoongi threw himself into it. Stubbornly trying not to moan in pain as he hit the stiff material. There was no cushion in it anymore.

He felt Jiho sit on the bed next to him, then pushed at Yoongi’s hip. “Rollover and sleep -head, I’ll keep watch,” Yoongi let out the noise of agreement and closed his eyes. It wasn’t often that Jiho would lay beside him and just be there, not since he was younger.

When they first landed on the Moon Hub, they would sleep pressed together with Yoongi trying to sleep and Jiho keeping watch. They couldn’t trust Taek, the man often forget they existed and would forget to feed them. Jiho had started fixing little machines and anything a fourteen-year-old could get their hands on. It didn’t pay much, but it got them fed and clothed until Yoongi could help Jiho fix things. It hadn’t all been bad, Yoongi remembers times when Jiho would do things that would just make Yoongi happy. Like the time Jiho had taken Yoongi to the top of the Moon Hub and they sat and watched the planet Jutispien rise behind the moon. Jusitspien was a waterlogged swamp planet that had amphibian humanoids that the Moon Hub rotated around. Watching the Jusitspien sun reflect off the water had been awe-inspiring. Yoongi remembers sitting there with his mouth wide open, unmoving until Jiho tapped on his shoulder. It had been the first time in years that he had wanted to do something with his life. He had decided that he wouldn't live on the Moon Hub for the rest of his life. He would get off it, somehow. 

Yoongi didn’t remember falling asleep, nor did he remember taking his boots off or curling into Jiho’s side, but that was how he woke up. Shoeless, and tucked underneath Jiho’s chin with the elder's arms around him. A position he slept in constantly when he was a child. He wasn’t twelve anymore. He rolled over and pulled the pillow from under Jiho’s head to hug it. The side of his head was hurting, his ribs were sore and his fraking leg hurt. He would never admit it to his brother, but Jiho had been right, he shouldn’t have gone out the cycle before. Yoongi must have done something to his leg because the pain was starting to get worse and the Dream's medic didn't have the machine to see if he messed up his leg. 

Jiho groaned and rolled the opposite direction, the elder’s pushing him closer to the wall. He groaned at the sharp pain in his side and kicked his unhurt leg back, striking Jiho in the calf. “Frak!” The elder yelled as he rolled out of the bed. “Gorram, Yoongi, that hurt!” He ignored the other and moved the pillow he was hugging over his head.

“Go away, hyung, you’re too loud,” Yoongi muttered.

A sharp slap to his had him hissing. “Gorram you, Hyung! That fraking hurt!” He threw the pillow over his shoulder at Jiho.

“That’s what you get, -head.”

Yoongi rolled over onto his stomach and pulled the thin blanket over his head, trying to block out the other. He heard the blond muttering about what time it was, and how much of an he was. He must have fallen back to sleep because the next thing he knew his brother was shaking him awake.

“Yoongi, wake up. We’ve warped and are almost back." The elder’s voice was soft as Yoongi groaned in pain. “See -head, you’re hurting. Let's go eat so you can take some pain meds, I swiped a few from the medic bay.” 

“I hate pain meds, hyung, they make my mouth itch.” He complained as he rolled over to sit up. The elder moving over to the closer and yanking out clothes and throwing them beside him.

“Change, so you can eat and take the meds anyway. When we get back to the Hub, you’re seeing the Hub doc. No, don’t make that face at me. You need to be examined to make sure you’re healin’ right.”

“Humph.”

“Don’t make that sound at me, Yoongi. Do what I tell you,” The blond chastised him.

Yoongi made a face as he pulled off his shirt, and started to pull at the zipper down his back, he grunted at the sharp pain in his side. Without asking, Jiho leaned over and pulled the zipper down, hissing the cold air as it hit his back.

“Thanks,” He muttered as he started to pull the stretchy material off his shoulders and down his arms. The sharp intake of break beside him had him lifting his eyes from the floor panel to look at Jiho. The elder was staring at the skin he had exposed. Gorram, he forgot about the bruising that still littered his side. 

“You’re still purple, Yoongi, fraking green and black.”

Yoongi waved a hand at the blond.

“It just blood stuck under the skin, the tissue doesn’t hurt. It gonna look like this for a few more months.” He grabbed the pale gray shirt and threw it over his head, and slowly stood. What he didn't tell Jiho was that he fell a few weeks ago and bruised his side. The original accident had been painful but the second fall had felt just as bad. 

“If you don’t want to see my junk, hyung, stop staring.” The elder scoffed at him.

“I’ve seen it all Yoongi, I used to change your diapers,” He turned around anyways. They weren’t children anymore. He peeled the unisuit down his legs, trying hard to ignore the colors that blossomed across his right leg. His thigh was covered in purple, black, green and blue bruises, a five-inch surgical scar down the outside of his thigh. His shin was fraked, scars crossing over and his lower leg still swollen and darker than his thigh. The doc had told him walking around would help the blood flow and help get rid of the bruising. It wasn’t. There was also a cream that could take away the scars but was super expensive and Yoongi would never be able to afford it. 

Yoongi pulled on the tight black pants, the closure tying to the side of his hip, then thick socks, he tucked the legs of the pants into his boots. Yoongi ran his fingers through his messy hair and followed Jiho out of the cabin. It was small and barely fit both of them in there, but they made do.

As they made their way down to the rec hall, Jiho started blabbering about all the that went down while he was sleeping. He had slept through most of the day cycle. They were still in w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter