Prologue

The Icarus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
01 Prologue  

 

“Perfect!” Eight-year-old Yoongi grabbed a circular device with blinking red and yellow lights with a large fan on the bottom out of the air, where it had hovered in mid-air. He made a little happy noise as he checked over the machine. It was finally working right! He had been trying to get it to hover on its own for two months. Suddenly, two larger hands shot out and took the device from him.

“Hey, stop! Give it back, Jiho!” The boy yelled at his older brother.

Jiho, who is six years older than him, shook the machine and started taping some of the buttons on the interface. “Jiho-hyung! Don’t do that! You’re going to mess it up! I just got it working.”

The younger jumped off the metal shelving unit he was perched on. “No way, it was wobbling to the side, didn’t you notice?” The elder questioned.

Yoongi’s eyebrows furrowed as he stepped closer to watch his brother fiddle with his invention. It was a small flying machine that used blades and rotor that is powered by a wind-up handle that had different sized gears, a small electric engine powered the handle. There is also a small interface screen that he was still working out the kinks to. Yoongi watched over Jiho's shoulder as he hit a few more buttons and adjusted a line in the code. “I didn’t, can you fix it?” Yoongi questioned. With that, there was a small beep from his machine.

“There, Yoongi-ah, the stabilizers on the left were overcompensating for weight.” Yoongi clapped his hands, took the machine from Jiho, and held his invention for closer inspection. “Thank you, hyung, I didn’t see where it was learning.” The elder patted his head and moved to leave the room, but was stopped by the retractable door swished open with a soft sound.

“Boys, we need to leave now. Let's go.” Their father walked in full military uniform. His voice holding a stern undertone. Their father was a professor and inventor for TEarth Defense Space Force. The EDSF may not be defending the Earth after it was destroyed over 1,200 Earth years ago. However, they were still functioning and defending any spaceships or hubs that humans lived on. They were a force to be reckoned with, consisting of not just humans but also beings of shapes, size or creed, who wanted the Drej destroyed before they started killing other beings as well as humans. Jiho was the first to speak, “Why? What’s wrong?”

Yoongi was already walking towards the door to follow his father out. As they entered the small hall of the on of the many residential rings that made up the human settlement. They encountered other beings running up and down the hall, carrying bags, guns, boxes, and other personal items. There was shouting, and Yoongi was scared. He latched himself to his brother's side, Jiho's shirt in his tight grip. He tried to listen to what their father was saying as they walked down the winding halls, it was too noisy though. 


“Dad, where's everybody going?” Jiho questioned.

“We're leaving too. We all have to go somewhere safe. Professor Ikaaho!” Their father yelled to a passing kivilarian. The stone-based being turned and waved them towards a less dense hall. 

“Attention, The Drej have breached the Outer Station Defense System. Please, evacuate. I repeat: Please, evacuate.“ An intercom blared overhead. “Come on, boys.” They were ushered down another long hallway.

“Will we get away in time?” Yoongi fearfully questioned his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter