six

RUNNER

 

Climbing up the stairs that lead to the main entrance of Seoul University, Hayoung heaved a tired sigh. On her back, she carried an unconscious Chorong and Eunji. Strapped to her belt and knees were tiny little sacks containing essential devices necessary to fix the messed up timeline of 2016.

 

This was the only way.

 

Once the machine transported the three of them into this world, Hayoung knocked her parents out cold, in a manner that would at most, leave them waking up with a terrible headache.

 

“Remember Hayoung. Time is important. I know you have become emotionally attached to our younger selves but you must learn to let them go.”

 

Eunji buzzed through the radio transmission that was connected live back to 2080. Unlike last time, she was here to guide her daughter. She wasn’t alone, not anymore.

 

“I know. It just…feels so unfair to them mom.”

 

Hayoung grunted in reply, finally reaching the top. Wiping her sweat away as she watched students running past her in panic, they can’t see her anyway, not when she has used the invisibility spray to cloak their presence.

 

The campus building is left intact with Bomi’s laser beams after the attack, creating creases on the walls, holes on tar roads, burn marks at the foyer and shattered glass windows scattered all over.

 

It’s really a mess.

 

“Well, that’s just how life is, my dear daughter. Now, go and do your job.” Eunji replied.

 

Hayoung carefully placed her unconscious parents at one corner. With her body now lighter, she bent over to re-tie her shoelaces. There’s going to be a lot of running involved from here onwards.

 

“Alright. There are about 3500 people roaming around this university. I’ve allocated 15 minutes for this so, that’s around 700 people per minute. Damn, that’s a lot.”

 

Mumbling to herself as she took out, “The Beam” which Chorong calls it as a device that alters or erase the memories of the selected target upon flashing a bright light into their eyes, Hayoung jumped around to loosen up her muscles. It has been awhile since she’s run and definitely wouldn’t want to be twisting an ankle later on. Putting one foot forward, Hayoung took a long inhale of air.

 

“Three…two….one!”

 

In a snap, Hayoung’s boots burst with an electric charge. This sent her flying in the speed of light across the corridors as she swerved into each classroom, flashing the beam lights into every single eye that she could see. From corner to corner, counting the numbers in her head as the students fell unconscious one by one in a domino effect, the runner was busy whether it was indoor or outdoor.

 

By erasing the peoples’ memories of the attack, no one would even think that Bomi’s attack ever happened. That’s one way to fix the timeline.

 

“Alright. I’m about two and a half minutes late. Great. Anyways…” Hayoung caught her breath as checked her stopwatch. Hurrying back to her parents’ side and picking them up easily with two arms, the runner was onto her next agenda: bringing them back to where they belonged.

 

It starts with the library.

 

According to the timeline, Chorong was supposed to be studying. Heading to the second floor, passing through the destroyed shelves which she’ll fix later, Hayoung carefully placed her mother onto the armrest. She organized the textbooks scattered on the table and flipped the page to where she left off.

 

It’s so that by the time Chorong wakes up, she’s just going to think that she dozed off.

 

Hayoung is supposed to leave and continue with Eunji. But her feet were hesitant to move. All that time they’ve spent together, the journey to the lost capital of Busan, the little moments when in Solitude, it’s just too much to say goodbye like that. She didn’t even say anything to her before Chorong was knocked out.

 

But a mission is a mission. Eunji is right. She shouldn’t get too attached with the past.

 

Smiling sadly at her, Hayoung gave a soft peck on Chorong’s forehead. She gave a long minute of staring until the runner exhaled heavily.

 

“Thank you for everything. Make me proud and become the best engineer ever. It’s probably going to be tough but I know you’ll do well, mom.”

 

Leaving the library as she took slow steps down, all that’s left it Eunji. From the timeline, Eunji was at the chicken place in Hongdae, along with her friends. That means, she’s going to have to use the beam on them too.

 

Sighing at the thought of doing more work, Hayoung bravely entered the store and noticed that her group of friends were still chattering away. Perfect. At this moment, the runner flashed the light and caused everyone in the restaurant to fall unconscious.

 

With that open chance, Hayoung sneakily placed Eunji between the seats of her two friends. This time too, she can’t bear to leave immediately. Watching how she’s sleeping soundly, it’s rare to see her mother not opening and talking boisterously.

 

“You’ll do fine. I just know you will. As long as you stay out of trouble and make sure that mouth of yours doesn’t take the wrong step.” Hayoung chuckled, ruffling her hands onto Eunji’s hair. “See you soon in the coming years mom.”

 

Leaving the chicken restaurant as Hayoung wiped her trickling sweat away, the sun is now setting. A clear orange hue in the sky which somewhat brings her nostalgic memories of the past. It’s so rare to see the sky in that colour anymore. Back in her world, it’s nothing but dust.

 

“Good work Hayoung.” Eunji buzzed into the radio, “But before you leave, there’s one special request that I need you to do.”

 

As much as she would love to go home right now and leave this world, the mission isn’t done until her mom says so. Last time, she’d whine and complain. But now, the runner is mature enough to understand the meaning and consequences of time travel, so all she has to do is accept whatever that comes.

 

“Yes ma’am. Tell me what to do.”

 

Time was ticking.

 

As each minute passed, the people who were affected by the beam slowly regained their consciousness. Their memories of the attack completely erased and while they wake up confused, eventually, they will continue about their daily life and no longer question why they were even asleep.

 

That goes the same for Chorong and Eunji.

 

At the quiet library, as the sunset glow shone through the windows, Chorong fluttered her eyes open. Slowly looking around as she can feel a headache coming through, the female thought that she must’ve taken a nap while studying.

 

But she feels oddly weird.

 

Clutching tightly onto her chest, she doesn’t know why it’s hurting. As tears rolled down her cheeks, she quickly wiped it away. “What’s wrong with me?” Chorong mumbled, focus back to her books. “I must be really stressed. No.” She shook her head. “I need to keep studying. Finals is next week.”

 

Back at the chicken restaurant in Hongdae, Eunji woke up to the noise of her talkative friends. “Oh! You’re finally awake! Guess you ate so much till you took a nap huh? Hey Eunji, are you okay? Why are you crying?” One of the friends asked, looking concerned at her.

 

“What?” Flustered, Eunji quickly wiped her tears away. That’s weird. She doesn’t even know why either but for some reason, her chest really aches. As if an important piece of her was taken away.

 

“I-I don’t know. Maybe it’s the onion. Anyways!” She clapped her hands, “Don’t waste the food! Keep eating, guys!” She smiled back, telling everyone that she’s okay. Even though she’s figuring out what happened to her.

 

Night has fallen but for Bomi, she has just arrived the town of Seoul.

 

It’s the start of a new beginning for her. Growing up in the countryside, she thought she’ll end up marrying a random guy and follow her father’s legacy of his pig farm. But that was until a miracle happened.

 

When she signed up with her best friend, Eunji for a science exhibition, they won the grand prize and won scholarships to enroll into the prestigious Seoul University. Although she wasn’t able to attend the orientation on the first day, but she’s here now.

 

“Why isn’t she picking up?” Bomi frowned, stepping down from the train as she tried to call Eunji over and over again. She was supposed to fetch her from the station and show her to the dormitories.

 

Sitting at a bench as she sighed, Bomi isn’t surprised at her friend’s lateness anyway. At the bus stop, she greeted a grandma seated at the far end. It’s just the two of them at this late hour.

 

But suddenly, something flashed in front of her. Bomi isn’t sure what that was, but now, the grandma was shouting that she lost her wallet. The female turned around and saw a black figure running away.

 

Instinctively, Bomi followed and ran after the mysterious figure. Along the streets, she managed to catch up with the figure.

 

“Hey, you!” She shouted, gripping tightly onto the wrist. The figure pushed Bomi and remembering what she learnt back in taekwondo class, Bomi was able to fight back. As fists clashed, her enemy was a lot more powerful than she thought. But that didn’t give her any reason to give up.

 

Bomi grunted as she used her feet and hands to block the figure’s attack, easily dodging its swings and lunges.

 

“Hmph.” The figure smirked, as it suddenly dropped the grandma’s wallet and suddenly vanished.

 

“What the-?!” Confused, Bomi looked everywhere for the mysterious figure that she just fought. But she believed that it was more important to return the wallet first. Dusting her shoulders, the female walked back to the bus station and found that the grandma already called the police.

 

A group of officers were gathered and the grandma pointed towards Bomi, waving her hands around as she smiled. “My wallet! Thank you so much!”

 

“Don’t worry about it grandma.” Bomi returned it back. “You aren’t hurt anywhere right?” The grandma shook her head in response.

 

“Hey, young girl. You did a heroic thing back there.” A police officer came up to Bomi. “Uh-no, not really. I just did what was right anyway…” The girl blushed in embarrassment, not used to the sudden praise.

 

“No. I saw you fighting. Pretty cool moves there. Hey, do you have any plans to join the police academy? I think we could use talented youths like you.”

 

Bomi stood there in a long thought. An opportunity was given to her, in this very moment. Science may be her passion but since the beginning of her childhood, Bomi grew up wanting to become a hero, rather than a scientist.

 

She was simply following and riding onto Eunji’s success. Maybe, this was the right thing to do. To make her own fate.

 

“…I’ll think about it!” Bomi answered, giving the police man a handshake.

 

Watching the whole scene from afar, the mysterious figure finally uncovered its hood. Hayoung sighed. “Geez, even at such a young age, she sure packs a punch.” She mumbled, crossing her arms as she smiled at the sight. Perhaps, this was the right thing to do.

 

Even though changing Bomi’s fate will indefinitely alter the events back at home, but it was for a good reason.

 

“Well done. I’ll be opening up the portal for you. Get ready to return home.” Eunji buzzed.

 

Hayoung yawned. “Finally. I’m already sick of staying here.” She said jokingly, staring back at the night, starry sky of 2016 that she will see for the last time in her lifetime.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

“Oh my god. I’m so happy for you Bomi!”

 

Eunji squealed, squeezing the phone between her ear and phone as her hands were busy putting on her clothes. It’s the first day of the semester and she received word of her best friend’s decision to decline Seoul University’s scholarship offer for the Police Academy of South Korea.

 

“You were right. I was better off doing Taekwondo. Science really isn’t the field for me. Thanks for the advice bestie.”

 

“Aww, shucks. Hey, I’ll pay you a visit over the weekend okay? Sorry, gotta rush right now. Can’t be late for my first class y’know!”

 

“I know.” Bomi laughed. “Break a leg!”

 

Eunji hung up as she hurriedly ran out of her dormitories, checking the timetable on her phone and making sure that she doesn’t embarrassingly trip over something. She’s lucky. There’s about two minutes before the professor comes into the lecture hall. Whew.

 

It’s another three hours later that the freshman is lingering around the library, somewhat confused at how big it is, but also wondering how on earth she’s going to find the reading lists for her course.

 

“Um, excuse me, do you have this book by any chance?” Eunji asked at the counter, showing the phone to them.

 

“Give me a moment.” The lady replied, keying the book name into the system. “Sorry, there’s only three copies for this and all of them have been borrowed.”

 

Eunji groaned. “Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me!” But that’s when she feels a soft tap on her shoulder.

 

“You can borrow mine.”

 

The freshman turned around to see a female who is around the same height as her. She’s got brown hair flowing down her shoulders, her face is kinda…cute and well, she looks younger than her.

 

“R-Really?” Eunji asked, hands finding itself on the book that’s being handed to her. “Don’t you need it though?”

 

“Well, I feel bad for having to borrow a book that the juniors would find more importance on anyway. Just wanted a quick review before the exams start.”

 

“Wait.” Eunji paused and gave a long stare at her. “You’re my senior?”

 

The female stared at her as if she was talking nonsense. “Uh…yeah?” She raised her eyebrow.

 

“Oh…” Eunji laughed awkwardly as she nervously scratched her cheek. “Sorry. I thought you were younger than me. But hey, it’s a compliment!”

 

She rolled her eyes and crossed her eyes. “Whatever. Anyways, I’m going to need you to give me your name because if you lose that book, I’m going to get in trouble.”

 

“The name’s Jung Eunji from the department of Science!” Eunji brimmed brightly, giving a handshake to her senior.

 

“I’m Park Chorong, department of Engineering. Pleasure to meet you.”

 

“Wow, department of Engineering? Wait, then why do you need this book anyway?”

 

“I have my own reasons for it.”

 

Eunji eyed at her senior in a playful manner. “Is that so? Anyways, thanks for letting me borrow the book. In return, I’ll buy you a coffee or something!”

 

“What? You don’t have to-“

 

“Hey, my mom always told me that I should give back to people. And that’s exactly what I’ll do! You don’t have any classes now right?” Eunji suddenly grabbed onto Chorong’s hand.

 

“N-No, but I have to study-“

 

“Then, that’s great! Let’s go to Starbucks and get some coffee!” Eunji grinned, easily dragging her new friend out of the library.

 

“Hey!”

 

Even when time disrupts their flow, even when their memories of each other are erased, Chorong and Eunji will always find a way to reconnect. No matter how far apart.

 

 

xxx

 

 

Hayoung isn’t sure how long she’s been out.

 

When the portal was summoned, all she remembered was being through the time wrap as the world around her spun like crazy. Everything hit total darkness as she faintly recalls hearing muffles and voices of people.

 

When the runner fluttered her eyes open, the first thing that hit her was a terrible headache. Then, a gush of numbness paralyzing her whole body. But it was only temporary as Hayoung slowly regained her senses, fidgeting her fingers and wriggling her toes, she knows this place.

 

It’s her bedroom.

 

Her favourite idol posters are still stuck on the wall. The messy desk stayed exactly where it was. Collection of plushies aligned at the shelves. It’s as if those crazy three years never happened.

 

“You’re awake.”

 

Chorong entered the room after hearing her daughter’s groans. “Don’t move so quickly yet. It takes time for your body to adjust.” She said, helping Hayoung to sit upright. “Are you feeling pain anywhere?” The mother cupped on her cheeks as Hayoung winced at the sudden coldness of her palms.

 

“Alright mom, how many years has it been?”

 

The mother smiled. “Luckily for you, two weeks. Don’t worry, time hasn’t passed that much between the two worlds you were travelling in. All that matters now is you are awake, breathing and alive.” Chorong pulled her daughter into her arms, “Oh, my baby. I was worried sick. Worried that you might never wake up.”

 

“Mom…” Hayoung slowly patted her mother’s head as she heard her quietly sniffling away. “She’s right. You are a crybaby.” The runner laughed, receiving a gentle slap on her shoulders.

 

“You need to rest.” Chorong released her hug and tucked her daughter in bed. “I’ll get Sojin to prepare your meal and have the in-house doctor to check up on you. A lot has happened since you returned, but I believe we must save that for later.” She headed out and closed the door behind. “I’ll tell Eunji that you have woken up.”

 

With that, the peaceful silence has returned to her room. Hayoung looked out at the window as she embraced the view that she grew up with. The city of Solitude and over the tall walls, was the Wasteland. It was the same. Those dusty, dull skies. Tall, metal skyscrapers.

 

Feels just like home.

 

At the dinner table, Hayoung learned that even the smallest change in the past can create big adjustments in the present world. When 2016 Bomi decided to decline Seoul University’s offer to join the police academy, it reversed everything of what the former Bomi did.

 

This meant, the attacks never happened.

 

There was no revenge, no foul play and no stealing of weaponry. This also meant that there was no reason in the beginning for Chorong and Eunji to leave Solitude. As complex as it may sound, the memories of the past were still retained in those affected. But on the bright side, the job was done.

 

No more broken cracks in the timeline.

 

“Wait.” Hayoung raised her hand in pause.

 

“So basically, Bomi became a good guy in the end of this story. You were never stabbed by her, meaning we never had the reason to use the time machine, or did those three years ever pass with the two of you missing, and we never actually went to the Capital of Busan. Am I…right?”

 

“That is correct.” Eunji cleared . “But because we still have memories of the events that happened prior to that change, it can be quite confusing to handle at first. But don’t worry, this is nothing. In fact,” The scientist smiled. “You should be focusing more on yourself.”

 

“Myself?”

 

“My daughter, you do realise that this whole time, you’ve dedicated yourself to a very long and time-consuming mission, yes? You should leave this for the adults to handle now. Take a good, long break and live your life as a teenager.” Eunji sipped her cup of coffee.

 

“You may be a runner. But before all that, you are my child.”

 

Chorong giggled, seeing how Hayoung is becoming very much confused at her mother’s words. “I don’t think you’re putting it explicitly enough, Eunji.” The engineer looked at her daughter’s eyes. “I recall something about your runner friends, Sooyoung and Yerin talking about a crush that you have on a girl…”

 

“A-Ah! That is!” Hayoung’s face quickly reddened at the mention of that. Oh, she’s going to totally kill Sooyoung and Yerin for slipping their tongue. But she got the message clear. Even though she’s probably going to be whole life, her parents are right.

 

The runner has been so focused on her mission that she never had the time to truly live her own life. Since day one, she trained her whole life to become a runner. To go onto missions and to make her parents proud. But Hayoung never really did anything for herself. She never wanted something for her own.

 

Until now.

 

“A-anyways! I’ll be leaving now! Just going to meet my friends, yeah? I’ll be back before the sun sets, don’t worry!” Hayoung hurriedly got up from the dining table, scrambling to get her things as she left the penthouse.

 

Chorong and Eunji laughed, finding their daughter absolutely adorable even at the mention of a crush.

 

“Must be nice to be young again.” Chorong sighed. Eunji gave her a look and smirked.

 

“What do you mean? You’re always be young to me. Not even a single wrinkle on your face will be able convince me, baby” The scientist hummed, staring lovingly into her wife’s eyes.

 

Sojin who was standing from afar, noticed that it was time for her to leave. It was far too obvious from the messages that Eunji was hinting at.

 

“I will take my leave now, ma’am. Please enjoy the rest of your day.” She smiled with a bow and left the penthouse. In her years of experience, the butler knew when the couple needed their own private, intimate moment.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to go to work?” Chorong groaned. As much as she wants to push Eunji away from her lap, she can’t bring herself too. Her hands are already automatically ing her wife’s blouse as they are straddled together on the couch.

 

“Well, I’m about to ask you the same question.” Eunji purred into Chorong’s ears, hands crawling underneath her wife’s shirt. “I’m simply giving you a statement that you’re still young. And why do I say that?”

 

Eunji drummed her fingers down Chorong’s thighs and gently kissed it. “Because you’re still so ever y like this.” She whispered into , kissing her slowly as the scientist gently rode her, giving into soft moans and mewls that were more that enough to satisfy her lovely morning before work.

 

The engineer knew what was Eunji’s intention in making love at this hour.

 

It was simply a clear reminder of how their love blossomed. They started off as a friendly senior-junior relationship, often bickering and bantering over facts. But once the flame took its first opening, mornings were becoming more of a workout.

 

Perhaps, that was how the two geniuses of Solitude were able to always be so cheery and focused in their work. Love was the answer. And that lead them to becoming an unstoppable yet respected duo in the city of Solitude, leading the future of science and engineering.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Running out into the city, Hayoung could see the changes now. The changes that Eunji spoke of. On the hologram billboards, there were safety messages displayed by the leaders of Stallion. One of them, was none other than Yoon Bomi, who was now a highly regarded and respected lieutenant.

 

“Holy . Time machine magic is kinda…freaky.”

 

Hayoung gasped, staring at the billboard as she listened to Bomi repeating the same safety messages broadcasted to the public, warning the citizens about the dangers of stepping into the Wasteland and what to expect in case of a sudden attack.

 

Walking into the crowd, she received a beep from her wristband.

 

“Up here, dummy.”

 

Hayoung looked up and saw her Sooyoung and Yerin waving at her from a balcony. The sight leaves her delighted as the runner quickly ran over to their side.

 

“I see that you’ve finally woken up from your two-week slumber sleeping beauty. How are you feeling- OUCH!”

 

“You ing , you really told my parents about Naeun!” Hayoung hissed, not at all feeling guilty about punching her friends.

 

“Nice to see that part of you hasn’t changed.” Yerin winced as she rubbed her pained arm. “Anyways, time travelling is pretty ed up. I don’t know what you did or what you saw in that world over there, but you’re a hero, Hayoung.”

 

“That’s right. People don’t know, but you are a hero. If you didn’t jump into the portal, who knows what would’ve happened to our world? You turned the biggest antagonist possible into a light of hope. And the best part of all, you saved your parents. Be proud of yourself, Hayoung.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, save all that big talk for later.” Hayoung waved her hand, not interested at the compliments she’s getting from her friends. She’s got more important things on her mind. “Have you seen her? Where is she?” The runner asked, slightly anxious in her tone.

 

“Straight to the point I see.” Yerin snorted, “Come on. She’s number four. One of the best runners out there. She went on a mission while you were still sleeping. Not sure if she’s returned though…busy, busy woman.”

 

“I see…” Hayoung looked down, somewhat bitter that Naeun didn’t even seem to care for her wellbeing and just continued to work like it was nothing.

 

“Hey, why the long face? Didn’t have to take us seriously like that.” Sooyoung said, trying to hold in her laughter.

 

“What?”

 

Yerin and Sooyoung finally burst in laughter and high-fived each other. It’s so easy to mess around with such a naïve Hayoung.

 

“Okay, sorry! This was payback for that really painful hit you threw at us back there. Naeun’s at home. Nuh-uh, don’t hit us again. Instead, this is her address. Go visit her. Lee Byung Hun gave us all a three-month break as a reward for our successful mission.” Sooyoung nudged an elbow at her with a wink. “This is your chance.”

 

Hayoung clenched her fists tightly, wondering whether to punch her friends and hug them for the great thing they did. “I can’t believe you guys. I both hate and love you for that.” The runner threw another smack at her friends. “See ya!” She waved goodbye as she excitedly jumped up onto the roofs.

 

“Geez, look at her go. Can’t she just take the normal route and walk by foot instead of going around like a monkey. The authorities are going to call on her.” Yerin mumbled, watching Hayoung swing from roof to roof.

 

Naeun’s house was nothing like Hayoung expected. The runner was too used to being pampered and living lavishly on one of the most expensive properties in Solitude. But here she is, in a very normal, common neighbourhood squeezed in the far corners of the barricade.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

 

Hayoung stood nervously, heart oddly pounding as she waited for the door to open.

 

Creak.

 

“H-Hey!” Hayoung awkwardly raised her hand up, “It’s me…” She slowly moved her hand behind her back and slightly turned around, trying to hide her blush.

 

For the first time, Naeun wasn’t wearing her usual, leather uniform. It was simple and kind of cute, with these cartoon prints and fluffy slippers. Hayoung never knew that Naeun had a cute side of her. All she knows is how Naeun is amazing in battle, coolly in the corner sniping her enemies down, but this? This is such a fresh, new look.

 

“Hayoung…?”

 

“Yeah…it’s me-“

 

“How did you find this place?”

 

“Oh, uh- they gave me your address-“

 

“They?”

 

“Y-Yerin and Sooyoung!” Hayoung can’t stop stuttering and it’s making her feel more embarrassed. If only she could just say the words that she wanted to say. But it just isn’t coming out from .

 

“Oh.”

 

And the silence starts there.

 

“…Do you want to come in?”

 

“Can I?” Hayoung asked, as Naeun opened the door wider, allowing her to get in the rather, small studio apartment. It’s rather empty but neat. There are a lot of large paintings hanging up on the walls, making the runner wonder if Naeun had a hobby of painting or some sort.

 

“So…what brings you here?” Naeun asked as she handed Hayoung a hot mug of chocolate.

 

Honestly, number four is happy to see her. In fact, she’s been worried about her ever since she saw Hayoung in the healing pod back at the Capital of Busan.

 

Naeun could not sleep, thinking about when Hayoung was going to return from the time machine. Naeun was worried but she did not ask anyone because she thought that she was going to bothersome. But that was who Naeun was. It was her nature to keep everything inside. And it was a challenge for her to put all of her emotions into words.

 

“I wanted to see you.” Hayoung answered in the most direct manner. Throughout the time they’ve spent together as teammates, she finally understood that Naeun was different. And it was because she was different, it made her so special, so…eye-catching.

 

Silence followed and Hayoung knew this was her moment to spill everything out.

 

“Actually, Naeun.” The runner paused, putting the mug on the table as she found the courage to look directly into her eyes. “The thing is, I want to know more about you. I mean, you are my friend, and it’s only right that we start to learn more about each other, you know? We’re runners so we’re going to be together on missions often.”

 

Hayoung shook her head, realising that at this rate, she’s going to start spurting nonsense. “I meant to say that,” The runner inhaled, her cheeks quickly reddening. “I like you! I have a crush on you, Naeun! I’m not saying that we should go out or anything because like- you could be a heteroual and that’s completely fine too uh- I just want you to know that I’ll be there for you and-“

 

Hayoung’s rambles were immediately silenced by a wet peck on her cheek. And boy, that was enough to leave her skin flaming hot. Even more, when Naeun is just giving her silent looks and a pretty smile at her.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Naeun said, “You know, I was supposed to die.” She confessed. “But I was saved by that formula and in turn, I was given another chance to live. In return, I had to serve the Solitude and become the fourth runner. I thought that I wasn’t obliged to live normally as a human, because I owe a huge deal to the people who gave me life again.”

 

Number four gently held onto Hayoung’s hand. “But you made me realise that I was wrong. That it is okay to not live under someone’s shadow and be free. Thank you. Really.”

 

“…Does that mean we’re official now?” Hayoung grinned, happy to see that Naeun has shared one part of her life to her. Happy that she’s finally taking that leap of faith to break out of her cage.

 

Naeun hummed in thought. “I wouldn’t exactly say that yet…we met like two months ago…”

 

“But you already met my parents!”

 

“A-are we progressing that fast already?” Naeun blushed at that statement, mind going to all sorts of places.

 

Hayoung laughed. “Just joking. It’s fine. We can take all the time we want in the world. Whenever you are ready, Naeun. I’ll be here for you.”

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Despite their happy endings, the Renegades were still at war with Stallion. With their dreams of taking over Solitude one day, war will remain the same no matter the era. But perhaps, there will finally be a light at the end of all of this suffering.

 

Under the command of lieutenant, Yoon Bomi, her plans of establishing a treaty are well underway.

 

Jung Eunji has continued to serve her position as the Chief Head Scientist of Sanguine Tower. Her apprentice, Kim Namjoo seems to have a talent for the industry, leaving Eunji no worries for the future. The team is now working together with the runners in a project to rebuild the Wasteland to its original form.

 

Park Chorong has been placed into a project team called Reform: which has plans to redevelop the Wasteland into a proper, thriving ecosystem. It may take decades for it to be realised but it is possible. The team is starting by planting trees and treating contaminated water plants. This is an effort to convince the Renegades and agree to the war treaty.

 

As for the runners, Lee Byung Hun has assigned them several tasks to travel all over the region, where humans no longer have access too, and deliver samples back to the laboratory. Sometimes, they would have to face the Renegades and fight them if necessary. But runners were not made to be machines of war. They were so much more than being weapons.

 

Two years has passed since the time machine episode, and our characters are living the best they can, for the sake of humanity, and for the sake of the next generation.

 

“You’re early.” Chorong smiled as she greeted her wife at the entrance of her workshop. “Oh. You didn’t have to. This is so embarrassing!” She blushed, receiving a bouquet of red roses from Eunji.

 

“Don’t you think its super rare of us to be going on dates? Come on, I know you love it baby.” Eunji winked, leaning forward to kiss Chorong’s cheek. “Are you ready to leave?”

 

“Of course. After all, it’s not like, our daughter is going to come back for dinner anyways. She’s got her own life to handle now.”

 

“From the way they are progressing, it’ll take ages for them until they get married! They are so slow!” Eunji jokingly complained, wanting to see Hayoung in a wedding dress already. “I might as well be in my deathbed by the time they really announce it.”

 

“Don’t say that. We won’t die yet.” Chorong said, pulling her wife close. “We are still young.”

 

The engineer bit her lip as she’s suddenly thinking about Eunji’s way of showing her that she’s still young. There’s no one in her workshop anyway so, night as well take her chances.

 

And so, Chorong suddenly dragged Eunji into a small room, switched the lights off, pushed her against the wall and crashed her lips in.

 

It doesn’t even matter anymore when Eunji’s dropped the bouquet out of surprise. But she loves it when Chorong’s like this. It only means that her wife is in a happy mood and that tonight’s date is going to end on a great note.

 

“Hey, slow down baby. We haven’t even gotten to dinner yet and you want to eat me already?” Eunji joked, “Or does the thought of ing in your workshop make you turn on?” The scientist purred into her ears, immediately feeling the tight pull of her blouse.

 

“How about both?” Chorong whispered, ducking down as Eunji groaned and automatically opened her legs wide for her.

 

Geez, what a time to be alive.

 

Sitting on the rooftop, hands intertwined with one another, Hayoung and Naeun have found their own favourite spot to spend their dates. It was to stargaze the starry night sky.

 

Hayoung would tell Naeun the names of the constellations in the sky, teaching her how the stars were formed and the stories that her parents always told her as a child. Naeun would listen intently to her, often finding fascination at how Hayoung seems to find so much love for astronomy.

 

The two have decided to take it slow and steady, for they were beginners when it came to love. And in a time where war was taking place, it just didn’t feel right to take everything all in one go. 

 

When they were on missions together, work was work. They tried their best not to get their relationship in the way. Whenever there was free time, Hayoung used all of that to spend with Naeun. Suddenly, the clingy child who wanted to always live under the shelter of her parents, was no longer there. That daughter has grown up. She has matured. And now, found someone to give that love to. 

 

“Hey, is there a policy somewhere that says that runners aren’t supposed to date each other?” Hayoung asked, casually leaning her head against Naeun’s shoulder.

 

“I don’t think so.” Naeun replied. “Runners are just normal humans with amplified abilities.”

 

Hayoung smiled at that comment.  

 

“You’re right. We are runners, we are destined to be pitted into a world of life and death, to witness war and destruction, but that doesn’t divide the line between what makes us humans and monsters. We are the best of both sides.”

 

Naeun leaned in and pecked Hayoung’s cheek. “I love you.”

 

Hayoung sighed as she placed her hand on her chest, feeling it beat excitedly. “Me too.” She looked at Naeun and grinned. “My beautiful runner.”

 

 

 

~fin.

 

 

 


A/N:

We have come to an end of Runner! Thank you to everyone who has come along onto this journey of a fictional, post-apocalypse world involving Eunrong and Hana~ I'll be honest, I love challenging myself to write new genres but this might be one of the more difficult ones especially with the whole time travel au idea on lol. While this fic isn't entirely a romance-focused story, it has been really fun to construct a whole world by myself, coming up with names and all that ^^ On the other hand, it's a happy ending for everyone! *cheers* 

(This AU was created by an absolutely random thought and I decided to impulsively work on it as the ideas kept coming, because I like to suffer in my own world hehe )

Until then, see you around in my other upcoming or current fics! :D

~pinkpanda419 (16/11/19)