two

RUNNER

 

 

 

Jung Eunji is lucky.

 

The stab wound narrowly avoided her vital organs and now, she is here in the healing pod recuperating as her condition stabilized. Breathing in and out, eyes still closed shut, Chorong ran straight to the medic unit after hearing the news.

 

Even though they used the youth serum to maintain their looks, there were still side effects to their body. And that meant recovery was at a slower rate.

 

“Thank god.”

 

Chorong sighed in relief after the doctor reassured the engineer that her wife was safe and sound. All that was left is to wait for her to regain consciousness. She dropped everything to be with her. It didn’t matter whether she was midway through an important meeting or had other projects to finish. Eunji came first ahead of everything else.

 

Hearing the squeaky steps of sneakers echoing along the hallway and the slam of the loud door, Hayoung halted her steps and caught her breath. As her eyes found itself on Eunji in the healing pod, “Who did this to her?!” She shouted causing Chorong to shake her head in a sigh, “We don’t know yet.”

 

It was clear on her face that she was furious. “Did the General say anything?” Chorong tried to stop her daughter, “He told us to stand down. He- Hayoung!” But alas, she was too quick. Watching her run out of the room once again, the mother decided to let her be.

 

In times like this, Hayoung was a splitting image of Eunji. Their personalities were very similar and she was sure that if it was Hayoung that got injured instead of Eunji, her wife too would react the same. Turning to rub her fingers across the glass screen that barricaded her and Eunji in the healing pod, the mother prayed for the best.

 

“I said move!”

 

Hayoung yelled, pushing through the guards that stopped the runner from entering the General’s office. When she heard of her mother’s fall, she was furious. The attacker left zero traces on the CCTV and mysteriously vanished into thin air. Despite the situation, the authorities were not doing anything.

 

“Number one! What do you think you’re doing?!”

 

Hayoung turned around, seeing number two and number three entering the lobby. But even with a familiar face, that does not stop her. “Are you here to stop me too? Just like everyone else?”

 

Number three stepped up and held tightly onto her arms. “Don’t make a scene. I know that you are angry but this isn’t the way. The people are watching.” She moved her eyes up to the CCTVs that were recording and workers staring below from the balconies.

 

It takes number one a quick glance. She hates how number three is saying the truth. Around her, the guards were getting ready to hold back, knowing that she possessed such superhuman strength and raised their batons up high for a fight.

 

“Don’t forget that you are the daughter of the genius scientist, Jung Eunji. Don’t be an idiot and ruin your mother’s reputation.” Number two pulled her aside, trying to talk some sense into the furious Hayoung.

 

To their relief, it was working. Calming down as she realized the situation, it still frustrated her. “Then what the hell am I supposed to do Yerin? Sit around and wait?” She turned to look at number three, “You would do the same too, Sooyoung!” She exasperated, taking quick stares at her members who were about to fight her for revealing their names in public.

 

But they have decided to forgive her and instead tried to sympathize the situation Hayoung was in.

 

I need to know everything. Who attacked my mother? What is the motive behind it? Why can’t they let me in?! I need to avenge her!

 

“Let her in.”

 

A voice echoed from the speakers. It belonged to Lee Byung Hun. During the whole time, he was observing Hayoung from the CCTVs. After much thought, he has decided to let the runner in. Not simply because she was the child of Jung Eunji and Park Chorong. But because he could see another Eunji in her. And it was telling him something.

 

The guards returned back to their positions and opened the gates for Hayoung. With that, the runner and her members headed into the lift and arrived at the highest floor. Just adjacent to Eunji’s office, General Lee Byung Hun’s was right there. There was no need to knock on the door as it was already open, expecting her entry.

 

“I understand how you feel, number one.”

 

The man greeted Hayoung and the other two members. Clasping his hands together, he already knew what to say. “But you must not involve yourself in this. It is much more complicated than the missions you had.”

 

“Then there will be no point of me being a runner.” Hayoung argued. “I have the obligation to find out what happened to my mother! I have the abilities and skills to do it! I have been training my whole life! Are you just going to let it all go to waste?!”

 

“Number one. This is an order.” Lee Byung Hun cut in with a stern tone, remaining very firm on his decision.

 

“But-!”

 

The ringing of a phone call halts their argument as the general tapped onto the button, causing a hologram to flash at the centre of his office. It is Huh Gak, the doctor in charge of Eunji.

 

“Greetings General.” He bowed with a relieved smile. “Jung Eunji is awake.”

 

Without question, the four of them marched back to the medic unit. Listening intently to the scientist who explained everything that happened, from the masked figure and the stolen time machine, she hated the fact that all the secrets had to be spilled now.

 

When Chorong and Eunji were still dating, they did a lot of personal projects together. From small to bigger ones, the time machine was one that had a closer attachment with. What started as a random idea while stargazing, the couple worked on a dream that came true with the power of science.

 

But as the two slowly rose to fame in their own fields, they have decided to keep all of their projects a secret from the public. It wasn’t just the time machine but a long list of other inventions that was buried under the carpet in fear that powers would use it to their advantage and create havoc.

 

As for the time machine, it would be far too complex to even imagine what kind of problems would occur when time is interrupted.

 

“I’m sorry General. This is my fault to begin with. That thing should have never been invented.” Eunji apologized weakly, using the remaining strength that she had to speak. She felt the soft squeeze of Chorong’s hands, telling her not to overdo it.

 

“Please keep this a secret from the authorities, especially the higher-ups. They cannot know that it exists.”

 

Lee Byung Hun sighed with a nod. “Very well. Take this as the token of our long-lasting friendship together. But for now, we must come up with a plan. There isn’t much time now that this intruder is lurking in the past and hunting your past selves”.

 

“I have an idea.” Eunji said, turning to face her wife. “Baby, can you go and get the Codex out?” Chorong raised her eyebrows in surprise. As much as she wanted to open and say no, she decided to listen to her.

 

Taking a quick trip to her workshop and returning with a mysterious metal box that was half the size of the palm, “Codex is the first version of the time machine.” Eunji explained as Chorong showed the device around. “You can call it the baby version. The only problem is that only one person can use it.”

 

The scientist’s eyes found itself onto the chosen one for this mission. She already made her decision since the beginning. It was not Lee Byung Hun. Nor number two, Yerin or number three, Sooyoung. It was her daughter.

 

“Hayoung. I want you to go back in time and stop them.”

 

“…Me?”

 

Chorong handed the Codex to her daughter. The mother could feel the sudden pressure that Hayoung had to endure just from one look of her face. It was too much of burden to carry the weight of her parents lives in her hands.

 

“I remembered the timestamp before she vanished back into the past. It was the year 2016, March 25th, 11:00am. You have to go there and find us quick, Hayoung.”

 

The runner clutched tightly onto the Codex, exchanging glances with Lee Byung Hun, her members and her mothers. Even though just moments ago, she was talking so big and arguing with the General that she could do the job herself, the reality is starting to hit her. She spoke too soon. And that made her scared.

 

She feared that if she made one small mistake, her parents will die. This wasn’t a video game where she could respawn anytime. This was also not a test-run where mistakes were forgiven. This was the real deal.

 

“I…I can’t do it…” Hayoung’s fingers shivered in fear, “I…I’m scared mom. What if…what if I can’t make it? What if I’m the reason that you die…”

 

Chorong pulled her daughter into a warm hug, hands gently on the back of her head. “We raise you to be strong, Hayoung.” She said softly, pulling back as she wiped away Hayoung’s tears. “You can do it. No one else can do it except you.”

 

“Your mother has chosen you, number one. Accept the mission with pride.” Lee Byung Hun said. “You must hurry. The time is ticking.”

 

Hayoung sighed at the General’s harmful yet pressuring words.

 

While she knew it was a sooner or later thing, the child was not ready yet. She always complained about how she was treated like a baby despite already turning twenty. But the nightmarish thought of watching her parents die and leave this world made her into a scared child who was afraid of losing her family.

 

She must take that brave step forward and save them. There was no choice.

 

Hayoung took a long breath and opened her eyes. “I’ll do it.”

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

Everything happened so quickly.

 

The press of a button brought Hayoung evaporating into thin air as she was pulled into a space warp. Everything around her was spinning. Colours turned white. The air disappeared. Nothing but darkness. Spiraling through what the runner thinks is a bridge to the past, she was able to see again.

 

Wincing at the sudden sunlight as she found herself falling from the sky and into a dark alleyway, her fall was cushioned by piles of garbage bags discarded away. The impossible happened.

 

She time travelled to the past.

 

Walking aimlessly in this unknown, unfamiliar street that seemed so foreign to her, she never thought travelling back in time would make so much of a difference. She’s lost. Confused. And running out of time.

 

“Excuse me, do you know where is Seoul National University?”

 

She asked to one of the passersby. Everyone seemed so busy, all walking to somewhere, eyes glued onto their “smartphones”— something that the runner calls an old-school device where the lame kids would own but then again, she’s time travelled sixty years back. A lot has reversed itself.

 

The passerby simply pointed at a direction and went off, not even bothering to open his mouth.

 

“I guess I’ll just have to follow the signs.” Hayoung sighed, staring at the blue boards that listed the different districts and names.

 

Heading into the crowded market that was thriving with so much life, there were customers bantering with one another, aunties cooking in the kitchen, foreigners taking pictures…this is a sight that Hayoung will never see back home. The kind of peace and harmony that seemed so impossible to achieve.

 

“Excuse me, do you know where is Seoul National University?”

 

Hayoung repeated the question again, hoping that someone would give her proper directions. She seemed to have found herself back into the old Dongdaemun Market, judging from the large banner hanging from the rooftop.

 

“Oh! It’s a ten-minute walk from there. You don’t look like you live here!” The auntie chimed in a friendly manner, something that Hayoung isn’t used to. “A-Ah, yes. I don’t.” She bowed politely, always remembering what her parents taught her. People here are kind. It makes the time traveler wonder where all that kindness has gone in her world.

 

Following the directions that the auntie told her, Hayoung eventually reached foot of Seoul National University. Indeed, it looks exactly like the old pictures she saw from her parent’s graduation photograph. She remembers the same staircase where the two of them shared a kiss while donning their graduation robes. 

 

On that day, I will be in the library. Find me there, Hayoung.

 

“The library…”

 

Observing the building structure as she walked through the hallways, finding the library was easy. But the next part was to find her mom. The worst-case scenario that could happen is that the intruder already found and killed her. But Hayoung doesn’t want such thoughts to pollute her mind.

 

You have the higher advantage because the intruder won’t know where I will be on that day. For them, it’s searching a needle in a haystack. But for you, it will be easy.

 

Scouring through every seat, passing by each shelf and peeking over the students’ faces, she can’t find her. In the midst of this massive yet quiet library, she’s trying hard to not show her frustration and anxiety.

 

Remember. I love the peace and quiet.

 

Taking note of her mother’s words, Hayoung tried to find spots that were the least crowded. She remembered how her mother loved the silence. Whenever she tried to blast music in the living room, she would come yelling at her to switch it off. It is a memory that makes her smile and now, she’s smiling even wider when she sees Chorong there.

 

At the second floor of the Seoul University library, situated in the far, secluded corner with no one around, surrounded with tall bookshelves and only the ticking sound of the grandfather’s clock. Perfect. Quietly flipping through the pages as she blocked the world around her, it is the exact image of her mother whenever she was in the study room. It was how Chorong looked like whenever the young Hayoung searched for her to read fairy tales.

 

But the runner knew that she cannot call her mum nor, can she pull her into a hug and cry at how scared she is right now.

 

She can’t.

 

She is the Chorong from 2016. Not the Chorong from 2077.

 

As she gulped nervously and hands shaking, Hayoung has to come up with the perfect pick up line to persuade her mother immediately. It’s not like blatantly telling her that she was from the future would help. She has to swerve her way through with words. Approaching the woman who is still very engrossed in reading her book, she cleared .

 

“Sorry for interrupting Miss Chorong, but I need to talk to you in private.”

 

Finally meeting her eyes, those orbs looked exactly the same. Those dark, beautiful oceans that gave her a wholesome world of warmth and love. Chorong stared at her for a long second as she put her book down.

 

“And who are you?”

 

Crossing her arms as she adjusted her reading glasses, she can feel her eyes scanning Hayoung from top to bottom. It’s the same kind of intimidating glares that the runner received whenever she didn’t listen to her. Except this time, it’s not. Coming prepared, the runner took out a worn-out picture from her bag.

 

“Do you remember any of this?” She asked to which Chorong squinted her eyes, staring at it with much confusion. It featured a young Chorong hugging a teenager Hayoung tightly in her arms. “No…I don’t. Do…I know you?”

 

Seeing the glint of intrigue in Chorong’s eyes, Hayoung calmly sat down and took a long, deep breath. “I know this is going to sound really ridiculous. But I came from the future to look for you.” She said in a slow pace, dropping the bomb. “Because someone is coming to kill you.”

 

Hayoung hoped that she would believe it especially with that photograph in hand. But instead, Chorong is just glaring at her with a very straight expression. At most, it’s scary and she might just eat her up.

 

“I don’t know who you are but do you think that you are that dumb to forge a photograph like that using Photoshop? Came from the future?” Chorong scoffed, rolling her eyes away unaumed. “At least make up a better excuse. Someone trying to kill me isn’t shocking enough to make me scared. Go away before I call the guards.”

 

“But mom-!” Hayoung immediately cut in but gaped halfway, realizing that she shouldn’t be revealing secrets like that. Chorong furrowed her eyebrows in even more confusion. furrowed “…Mom?” She repeated slowly, wondering if she heard that wrong.

 

The time traveler exasperated, knowing that she’s just going to make more mistakes if things don’t go her way. “Look. You really have to come with me right now! Otherwise, you are going to be in danger!”

 

“And who would want a random engineering student like me?”

 

It was then Hayoung’s wristband detected incoming activity from behind. Instinctively, she snatched Chorong away from her seat as a bullet pierced through the shelves behind her. It buzzed with white electricity and later evaporated into thin smoke. Hayoung could confirm that it belonged to a weapon from the Stallion. It raised even more questions about the identity of Eunji’s attacker.

 

“W-What the?!” Chorong jumped in surprise, “I told you! They found us!” The time traveler yelled, taking out her laser pistol that she kept hidden underneath her leather jacket and shot at a mysterious masked figure running against the wall. It was exactly what Eunji had described.

 

If Hayoung was slower by one second, Chorong would have been dead by now.

 

“Damn it. We have to leave.” The runner sighed, holding tightly onto Chorong’s arm as they hid behind the wall, barely brushing against death as the bullets grazed the corners. The library had no clear openings. Especially with the shouts of panic from downstairs, it is going to be even harder to escape.

 

Peeking halfway as she blasted her laser pistol a couple times, she was frustrated that the attacker easily dodged her bullets. The runner tried to tap onto her wristband, hoping it would aide her. But just when she thought technology would prove useful in dangerous situations like this, the power ran out the moment she time travelled.

 

All of the tools that her parents prepared and gave her prior coming here were all proving to be useless.

 

She has one final option left.

 

“Do you trust me now?” Hayoung asked as she turned to face Chorong. The student nodded with panic, but still remaining somewhat calm despite everything that is happening around her.

 

“Okay. I want you to hold my hands as tightly as you can.” The runner felt the grip of Chorong’s fingers intertwined with hers.

 

With that, Hayoung rubbed her thumb and forefinger together as her black, latex gloves lit up with two red dots. “Thank god. At least this one is still functioning.” The runner mumbled with relief as she snapped her fingers hard. Just seconds before the attacker could charge in, the two vaporized into thin air.

 

Only managing to catch the remaining smoke that left behind, the masked figure growled in anger as she let them go. “Looks like you sent your daughter to fix this mess. Very bold of you, Jung Eunji.” She scoffed, turning around to see the guards approaching her. But it doesn’t take long for the figure to kill them off by blasting bullets through their heads.

 

“Guess I will have to kill off your whole family then.”

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

The moment they touched the ground, Hayoung tugged tightly onto Chorong’s hand as they ran as fast as they could. The teleportation should have brought them to a safe distance from the attack. But alas, they were just outside the university grounds.

 

“Dammit, this stupid teleporter doesn’t work because it doesn’t match with the data configured!” The runner grumbled to herself, making it a note that most of the gadgets did not function properly due to the effects of time travelling. She has to do everything the traditional way now.

 

Noticing how Chorong was running out of breath, the two went into the communal gardens and hid behind one of the bushes. Occasionally peeking out, Hayoung saw the masked figure whisking away from the area. The coast is clear.

 

“Do you believe me now? That I am a time traveler from the future and someone is coming to kill you?” Hayoung asked, wiping her sweat from her forehead.

 

“Yeah, I do. It’s just…I can’t believe it. Everything is just happening so fast. Who…who are you?” The student nodded in reply, still trying to take in their current situation.

 

It was supposed to be a normal day at school. She was going to head for her afternoon lecture and later come home to work on her assignments. Guess all of that plans are cancelled now.

 

Hayoung stared at Chorong, wondering whether she should just tell her the truth or make up a fake identity. But she remembered all the good values that her parents taught her and it was to never lie. So, she held onto her mother’s shoulder and confessed.

 

“I’m Hayoung. Your daughter from the future.”

 

“W-What?!” Chorong gasped, covering automatically as she was afraid that she was too loud.

 

 “Look, I know this is going to be really confusing but we don’t have much time left.” Hayoung said, tapping onto the screen of her wristband that came up with a ticking stopwatch. It has been one hour since she entered this world.

 

“Unlike the final version of the time machine where you can walk in the world forever, the Codex is limited. You can only travel for only three hours. You must make those three hours, worth.”

 

Remembering Eunji’s words, she has two hours left till the time machine pulls her back to 2077. Her sole mission is to take both Chorong and Eunji from 2016 and bring them to 2077.

 

While the scientist is aware that such conflicts will create much problems, but she has her own plans of fixing the timeframe later on. She plans to lure her attacker back into 2077 by bringing the targets along.

 

It is the only way.

 

“We have to find my other mom.”

 

“Wait…” Chorong held onto Hayoung’s arm as she blinked slowly, trying to comprehend that information. “I didn’t marry a man? I married…a woman?”

 

Hayoung shrugged in reply as if it was not surprising at all. “Yeah. “Anyways, you’ll be meeting her. Are you good at running?” She asked, not wanting to explain their whole love story.

 

Knowing that she did Hapkido as a kid, the time traveler is sure that she is capable enough for an adventure. “Sure.” Her mother replied coolly, bending down to tie her shoelaces.

 

“Good. Because we have some running to do.”

 

On that day, I was hanging out with my friends at Hongdae. We were celebrating my entry into Seoul National University. Find me, it should be a chicken place.

 

So, here they were, pushing through the afternoon crowd at Hongdae. Looking left and right into the packed restaurants, Hayoung isn’t sure whether she can find her. When she tries to wear her special lens, hoping that it will help quicken the search, to her surprise, it works. Still powering through with its remaining battery, the lens used the identification data of Eunji and searched through the area. It becomes easier and definitely beats the human eye.

 

“There!”

 

Hayoung pointed towards the direction as they ran to a chicken restaurant bustling with people. But before she entered, the runner halted her steps. She’s hesitant again. It’s not like she can just go up and tell her that people are coming to kill her. Noticing how the time traveler stood there awkwardly at the entrance, Chorong knew she had to help out.

 

“Which one is she? I’ll do the talking.” She said, nudging her elbow even though she’s feeling anxious knowing that the person she is about to meet will be her future lover and spouse.

 

“The one with the sweatshirt and cap.” Hayoung whispered in reply, “I’ll stay here to keep guard. Her name is Jung Eunji. Good luck mom.”

 

The word ‘mom’ sends weird tingles to Chorong’s stomach.

 

Taking a deep breath, she walked into the restaurant and finds her “wife” with her friends. They seem to be in a really good mood, chattering loudly as they devoured the chickens on their plates, it would if she had to spoil the momentum right now.

 

They don’t know each other. But in the future, they will be married. They will be in love. And that thought is just so odd to imagine.

 

“E-Excuse me, who is Jung Eunji here?” Chorong asked shyly, mind going blank as she’s standing at the front of the table. Eyes all on her, she can feel her stomach turn.

 

For a second, she wants to run away because talking to strangers just isn’t her thing. But when she remembers that sudden attack, lasers firing away and the image of Hayoung popping in her head, this isn’t a dream. It’s real.

 

“Me.” The said woman raised her hand up, mouth still halfway chewing, “What do you need?” She asked, eyes scanning the student from top to bottom. But when she sees the Seoul University badge pinned to her shirt, Eunji suddenly stood up. “O-oh! You’re from Seoul University! D-Did you come all the way here to find me?”

 

“Uh…no, that’s not-“

 

“Wow~ you are so screwed Eunji! Told you to not miss the orientation! Now, you’re going to be getting into big trouble for skipping it!” Her friends snickered as they playfully pushed Eunji out from her seat.

 

“Hey, stop eating the chicken. Go and take your punishment! Bye!” They continued to snatch the girl’s plate from her hands and dragged the two of them out of the restaurant, waving goodbye as they closed the door shut.

 

Suddenly, it’s just them outside the chicken restaurant. This is awkward.

 

“Sorry. I know it’s a prestigious university and all that, but I didn’t think skipping the orientation would-“

 

“It’s not about the orientation. Or any of that.” Chorong cut in with a sigh to which Eunji stared at her confused. “Then, why did you come looking for me anyway?” The question makes the engineering student flinch, because she isn’t sure how her ‘junior’ would react.

 

“Because-“

 

“Someone is coming to kill you.”

 

Hayoung stepped in. She was hiding behind the alleyway and hoped that the conversation would lead them somewhere. But the runner decided to just slap the facts straight to their face. They were running out of time.

 

Seeing her parents were now together, she can’t help but to feel her heart buzz with a bittersweet warmth. “Look, I know this is hard to imagine. But I am from the future and I need both of you to come with me.”

 

“Oh cool! You’re from the future?!” Eunji gasped, eyes exploding with intrigue as she jumped around like an excited puppy. “That is amazing! Which year did you come from? How did you even come here? Hey, hey, what’s the future like?”

 

Eunji continued to interrogate Hayoung who simply dragged the two of them behind the chicken restaurant and into the alleyways. Watching her “wife’s” instant reaction is making Chorong wonder why on earth did she end up marrying an idiot.

 

One minute till the Codex pulls Hayoung back to 2077.

 

“Look, I’ll answer all of your questions later. But I need you to hold onto my hands tightly. Please do not let go, no matter what.” Hayoung stressed, staring into their eyes with all seriousness. The two exchanged glances and nodded, deciding to do whatever the time traveler did.

 

All that was left was to wait for the stopwatch time to reach zero. As long as the intruder doesn’t find them, it should be fine.

 

“I can’t believe you’re just doing everything that she’s saying. Aren’t you even suspicious at all?” Chorong asked, dumbfounded at how Eunji isn’t questioning the absurdity of this.

 

“No. It’s because I can tell from the sincerity of her eyes.” The woman smiled brightly in reply, “Can’t you see it too?”

 

Chorong froze, not at Eunji’s question, but at her smile. She’s never seen anyone who has a smile as bright as the sun. Even in such a situation, she is still able to remain so optimistic. And strangely, it makes her feel calm.

 

“Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me!” Hayoung exasperated, watching something flickering from the far distance. It’s her. Approaching at quick speed, the runner took a quick glance at her wristband. She has twenty seconds left. It should be enough to divert her attacker’s attention for a short moment before all of them gets into the time warp.

 

“Okay. Stay here. Don’t move!” The runner ordered, letting go of their hands as she easily hopped up onto the roof with ease. Eunji whistled at just how agile and quick Hayoung just did that while Chorong stood there anxiously, watching the fight unfold.

 

The runner shot a couple of laser bullets across as her attacker deflected them with a hologram shield. As they were standing from different ends of the roof, it would only take one person to make the first charge ahead. Hayoung took a quick glance back at the time.

 

She has five seconds left.

 

“Oh, ing hell!” Hayoung grumbled, looking back up as she quickly dodged one of the bullets and jumped high up into the air, somersaulting to the other side as she clung onto the lamp post, firing more bullets across. All of them were a miss.

 

Four.

 

Letting go of her grip as she dashed quickly to the back of the chicken restaurant where Eunji and Chorong were, the runner could see the enemy following her from behind.

 

Three.

 

A bullet narrowly grazed her shoulder as Hayoung felt the hissing heat eating her skin. But she pressed forward, occasionally shooting her bullets that were still a hit and miss. She probably has to work on her shooting skills when she gets back home.

 

Two.

 

Hayoung lifted one of her foot up, pushed it against the wall as she jumped across the fence. “Come here!” The runner yelled as Chorong and Eunji ran towards her.

 

One.

 

In that split second, their hands barely touched each other. But the grip was tight.

 

Zero.

 

And the three of them evaporated into thin air.

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

“Mom! Mom! Look! I became first place at the athletics run today!”

 

A young Hayoung ran excitedly into Chorong’s workshop, unaware that she was going past sharp and moving objects that could hurt her. She was fortunate that the engineer caught her in the nick of time, quickly carrying her daughter up in her arms.

 

“Hayoung! I told you not to come in here! It’s dangerous!” Chorong scolded her child, moving out of her dusty workshop that would be hazardous for her daughter who was not wearing any mask. She isn’t sure how she even managed to go past the guards. But the engineer had an idea that Hayoung used her superhuman abilities to climb through the ceiling and sneak across.

 

She is going to have to find another way to keep her out of the workshop.

 

“But you won’t pick up my call…” Hayoung pouted, eyes staring down at the floor as she felt the cool air of her mother’s office that was on the second floor of the workshop. It was also Hayoung’s favourite place to be in because it had a panoramic view of Solitude.

 

Every time, she would wonder what was beyond those large walls and was curious of the other world.

 

“I’m sorry baby. Mom was very busy. But please understand that it doesn’t mean that I don’t love you.” Chorong smiled softly, putting her child down as she brushed her fingers through her hair. “I am very happy that you got first place and you will continue to make all of us proud.” She kissed her forehead gently,

 

“However, you must also be patient to share your achievements. It doesn’t have to be now. You could have gotten hurt if you wandered into the workshop. Do you want to get cuts like these?” Chorong rolled down her sleeves and showed her daughter the awful scars and burns she received when she was young, naïve adult.

 

Hayoung frowned and rubbed her fingers around her mother’s scars, planting a wet kiss on it. The small action made Chorong’s heart melt. “Okay. I promise not to go into your workshop anymore. So, promise me that you won’t get hurt again.” Her daughter stared at Chorong with the biggest, cutest orbs ever that the mother could not say no.

 

“Mm. Okay, promise.” Chorong kissed Hayoung’s forehead again and pinky promise-ed her.

 

 

 

Hayoung gasped awake as her dream slowly vanished apart. A small tear rolled down her cheeks as she can’t help but to feel her chest squeezing her tight. It’s a suffocating feeling. Roaming her eyes around, it is the runner’s first time in a healing pod.

 

It is quite compact; she can’t move at all and her sight is fixed. The world around her has gone mute due to the pod and it makes her feel like she’s all alone. But when she hears the whirring of the machine moving upwards, the transparent glass slowly moving apart, she could finally breathe in the fresh air.

 

But wait…this place isn’t the medic unit. It’s some kind of laboratory.

 

“You are awake. As expected from a runner, you far exceed the limitations of a normal human.” A young brunette lady hummed with a nod. In a lab coat, Hayoung assumed that she was one of her mother’s assistants. But the thing is, she has never seen her face before.

 

“Now, before you start interrogating me, your parents from 2016 are over there in the pods. Looks like the whole time travelling took quite a toll on their bodies so they are recovering at the moment.” The brunette pointed her pen towards the other direction where there were two other pods lying on the floor.

 

Looking at the green screen that displayed the status of Hayoung’s bio-data, “You are ready to go. Good.” She headed over to press a button that allowed the runner free from the healing pod.

 

Hayoung stumbled out, instinctively holding onto the brunette for support. “Don’t rush it. Take your time. You have been sleeping for a quite some time.” She said, helping the runner to sit down. She stretched, twisted and moved her body around, amazed that she is in perfect condition. Even the gun wound that she received has healed.

 

“How long has it been since I came back from 2016?” She asked, watching the brunette’s expression turn dark. It feels as if she was dreading for that question to be asked. “It would be best to not know.” Her tone fell. But that was more reason to push forward.

 

“Why? Did something happen? Where are my parents? My parents from the real world. Now, in 2077.”

 

“…It is no longer 2077, number one.” The brunette said carefully with her head down. “Three hours in 2017 meant three years here. So much time has passed since you returned.”

 

“W-What?! Then…then what about my parents? Are they okay?”

 

The brunette nervously toyed her collar, eyes fluttering about as she wondered whether to make up a lie or to tell the truth. But she remembered what Lee Byung Hun briefed her earlier on when the three of them were found. And it was the fact that making up lie will simply make everything worse.

 

“They have gone missing ever since you left, number one.”

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Oh dear, our protaganist Hayoung has rescued her parents in exchange of something even worse, losing her own. Not only that, three years has passed in her world. Looks like the "Codex" had its limitations as it was the first version of Eunji's time machine. The identity of the intruder is still unknown. Who is the brunette that Hayoung meets when she wakes up? Eunrong going "missing", could that have a connection with Hayoung's sudden time travel to the past? There's a lot of questions swarming here and there, and I am interested to know your theories on this! :) Thank you for waiting patiently for the update~