four

RUNNER

 

 

 

Hayoung was only four years old when she attended Bomi’s funeral.

 

It’s a vague memory, mostly filled with greeting strangers and quietly sitting in a corner while her parents mourned with the rest.

 

There wasn’t much that Hayoung knew besides whatever her parents told her; Bomi was someone who had a lot of potential but wasted it all by choosing friendship over opportunities. Sometimes aloof but a person with a good heart.

 

Until that night.

 

It was supposed to be the usual Sunday dinners. Gathered at the table, Eunji received an urgent call and suddenly, Hayoung was told to stay at home with Sojin. The child watched as her parents rushed out of the penthouse with an expression that was engraved in her memory forever.

 

It was full of hurt and betrayal.

 

No one expected it.

 

After swearing her loyalty to Solitude for twenty years, Yoon Bomi committed a crime and turned rogue. She tried to set the laboratory on fire. Stole bits and pieces of Eunji’s experiments, stole Chorong’s working tools and weapons, and basically created havoc.

 

When the Stallion members hunted her down, it took a mere week till her body was returned home. As Chorong and Eunji hurriedly prepared the funeral, there was a strange air hanging around the city. To their friend who suddenly betrayed them at the last minute of her life, everyone wasn’t sure if they could trust each other anymore.

 

But the couple agreed to remember the good parts of Bomi. They told everyone to forget about the events of that night and mourn for their friend of who she was originally. The funny, quirky and talented Bomi. 

 

And that was it. It was a case gone and tossed into the bin.

 

Hayoung grew up visiting Bomi’s tombstone every year during Chuseok. She never really questioned much about her mother’s friend. But now, she’s right here, alive and ready to kill.

 

“I should’ve known.”

 

Hayoung growled, getting ready to charge at her enemy. Although she’s not particularly confident on a one-on-one hand combat, but she must defeat her.

 

“Oh, that gaze you have there. Looks exactly like Chorong whenever she’s mad. And the way you speak. You sound like Eunji.”

 

Bomi scoffed as she casually spun her pistol between her fingers and took confident strides towards the runner. “You are indeed their daughter alright.”

 

She closed her eyes with a smirk. “Which makes it more reason to kill you!”

 

At that mark, Bomi charged first. Her boots were equipped with propelling energy, sending her flying directly at Hayoung as she fired three times. Luckily, Hayoung dodged them and rolled to the side.

 

Landing on her arm, she took out the steel blade hidden underneath her sleeve which soon unfolded into a long katana. With that, she pranced onto Bomi.

 

The two clashed, now sword against sword. Both were powered with electricity. It was obvious that they were products of Chorong’s creation. To think that it would be used against the people she loved, it was an unfortunate reality.

 

As the friction between the steels heightened, Hayoung jumped back and took a breath. She’s better with a gun rather than a sword. And honestly, she didn’t have much training because she thought swords were “old-school”. Boy, she’s going to regret that now.

 

“Are you scared?” Bomi scoffed, well-aware that the runner momentarily stopped. “Come on. You’re spoiling the fun.”

 

Irritated by her words, Hayoung charged again. This time, each attack landed with a block. One slash. Two slashes. No one manages to get any. It’s a game of agility now.

 

This leaves Bomi impressed. “Not bad for a kid.”

 

At that moment, something fired into the distance. The female somersaulted backwards and dodged the bullet aimed at her head. Taking a quick glance, Naeun was sniping from a distance. 

 

“Tch.” The woman clicked her tongue in annoyance, as if wanting to battle Hayoung alone. “Sorry child, guess we have to save our fight for next time.” She smiled, throwing a smoke bomb to the ground. as the runner tried to go after her.

 

But alas, it was too late. Bomi disappeared into the thin air. Literally. It left Hayoung furious and frustrated that she let her enemy get away.

 

“Are you okay?” Naeun asked as she rushed over. As she attempted to take a look at her face however, Hayoung pushed her away.

 

“I’m fine. I didn’t need your help. Could have taken the fight myself.”

 

She replied coldly and walked off, not wanting to deal any conversation with number four. Naeun watched her go as she let out a sigh. Putting her weapon back, she followed Hayoung back to camp.

 

Number one was greeted with a warm, relieved hug from her parents. Even though they were the younger versions, it still felt like they were actually there. From the worried expression of Chorong to the nags of Eunji telling her not to wander out by herself.

 

Yup, it reminds her so much of her parents. So much that it-

 

“Hey…you’re crying?”

 

“N-No.” Hayoung quickly wiped her tear away. She hated that they had to see this weak side of her. Looking away, it was enough to tell Chorong and Eunji that she was still a young teenager. A child who need love and support.

 

And it was their role they had to do, together.

 

“Sorry. You shouldn’t see me like this. It’s…embarrassing.” The runner mumbled, making her parents laugh at the reveal of her cute, timid side.

 

“Come on, I cry when my favourite character dies in a movie!” Eunji said, trying to lighten up the atmosphere. “Iron Man…you will be missed!”

 

“Wait, you actually cried at that?” Chorong threw a judging look at Eunji.

 

The latter nudged her elbow and whispered, saying something along the lines of that she should follow the act and pretend so that it will make Hayoung feel better.

 

“What? And why should I lie to her?”

 

“How else do you think we’re going to make her stop crying?!”

 

It left Hayoung laughing as her parents began to argue over a small matter. For Naeun who watched everything unfold from afar, she decided to leave them be. After all, number four was in no position to join them.

 

She was here for a mission, that’s all.

 

Just like always, she will not establish any connection with her members. Nor the subjects involved. It has always been that way for three years. And it will continue to be like that.

 

It didn’t matter if her first years were filled with number two and number three calling her the weird one out.

 

This was not the life she chose anyway.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

It takes another three long days of relentless trekking along the Daegu desert.

 

Spending days and nights walking under the sun and settling into the makeshift camp, Chorong and Eunji had given up on trying to bring Naeun into their conversations. They believed that she just didn’t want to connect and simply wanted to complete her duty like a soldier.

 

But as they sat around the campfire, Hayoung can’t help but to think about whether she should at least tell Naeun about Bomi. Looking over her shoulder, eyes focused on number four sitting far away from the family, she’s always alone. And honestly, the runner isn’t sure how to approach her…after everything.

 

“I know what you’re thinking.” Eunji stared down at the marshmallow stick that she’s been twisting around the fire. “There are people like her sometimes. Those who like to be left alone. Anti-social and all that. But I don’t blame her. I think Naeun has her own reasons to distance herself.”

 

Looking back up at her daughter with a smile, “Even so, humans desire companionship. We can’t be alone in this world forever. It’s not normal.”

 

“That’s true.” Chorong stepped in with agreement. Sitting down after bringing more packets of marshmallows so that they could eat the night away, “If I was alone in this whole…thing, I probably could go crazy. Eunji’s the only one who is from the same world as me. If she’s gone, then…”

 

“Aww, is that so?” Eunji’s gaze grew soft on her senior. “I wonder where was that person who was throwing insults at me just minutes ago- ouch!” The junior groaned as Chorong hit her head with the bag of marshmallows.

 

“I’m trying to be nice!”

 

“Well, nice try.”

 

Hayoung rolled her eyes, not wanting to deal into their parents’ “flirting” again. God, when are they going to confess to each other? She’s pretty sure that they are unaware of it anyways.

 

With a long sigh, the runner got up to her feet and clenched her fists. Deciding to take that first step forward, Hayoung approached Naeun slowly. But number four already noticed her presence.

 

And as expected, she doesn’t say anything. Instead, the female gets ready to leave her spot.

 

“H-Hey. Don’t…go.” Hayoung waved her hands around awkwardly. Naeun stared back and that was enough to leave number one nervously running her fingers through her hair.

 

 “Can we…talk?”

 

Naeun sighed and returned back to her seat. Again, she doesn’t say anything. But Hayoung took that as a cue that she was willing to listen. So, she settles down beside number four, leaving just enough space between their shoulders.

 

Now, Hayoung is pretty sure she’s never really had a proper conversation with Naeun. And with the hanging silence right now, she has to make a move now.

 

“I’m sorry for what I said.” She blurted whatever that was on her mind. Her eyes were focused on the sky and not Naeun.

 

Because first, Naeun is pretty. Really pretty. And second, she feels sorry for acting all cold to her.

 

Taking the silent reply as a sign for her to continue, “And also thank you for saving me out there. I know I was talking all big and being I could have handled it myself but I know that I was wrong and-“

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Naeun finally replied. “It happens. And I’m sorry if I have ever offended you in any way.”

 

Her head turned to Hayoung and honestly, the runner is having a hard time trying to keep a direct eye-contact. Really. The way how the moonlight falls perfectly onto Naeun’s facial structure, outlining the fine details and reflection of her eyes, yeah, she’s a real beauty all right.

 

“It’s my fault too. Because you were number one, I had high expectations when I met you. But then, I forget that there was a three-year gap difference between the time. I was wrong for judging you. I’m sorry.”

 

“And I’m sorry for being childish. I guess it’s just in my personality.”

 

Hayoung shrugged, slowly becoming more comfortable around Naeun. The fact that number four was slowly breaking down her walls and showing a little bit of the real her, it was more than enough.

 

“I don’t want us to have any hard feelings. Like, really, Naeun, you’re a great runner. You coolly jumped off the plane and parachuted so fast like a professional. You were able to sense danger at the right moments. I wouldn’t even have batted an eye.” 

 

Naeun gave one long stare at Hayoung before suddenly covering to giggle.

 

“W-what are you laughing at?” It leaves the runner flustered. Not because she’s suddenly laughing out of nowhere, but the fact that someone as cold as her, displayed emotions of happiness. It was something new.

 

“Why is your face red?” Naeun asked as she continued to look at Hayoung. Her eyes were filled with intrigue and boy, it’s leaving the runner’s heart jumping.

 

“O-Oh!”

 

Hayoung suddenly smacked her hands hard on her cheeks. She laughed nervously and mumbled along the lines, “because you’re pretty but also not because of that because I kinda at making friends but yeah something like that” but Naeun heard that loud and clear.

 

It makes number four laugh out loud. And for the first time, she’s smiling so brightly. She’s smiling so widely. She’s smiling whilst being in the company of someone.

 

And Naeun is taken by surprise. Immediately after, she covered her face and blushed hard, slightly embarrassed by the sudden surge of happiness filling her empty chest. Feleings that she hasn’t experienced for a long time.

 

It’s making number four reflect. Perhaps, she might be the one.  

 

Back at the camp fire, Eunji stole a glance at Chorong and laughed, watching her senior yawn with open wide.

 

“Shut up.” Chorong frowned and gently shoved her over. Eunji responded by dramatically pretending to fall behind and it makes the senior chuckle. “You’re such a child.” She replied, shoving one stick of marshmallow into .

 

“Glad to know that you think I’m a child.” The junior grinned as they returned back to grilling the marshmallow sticks. The night is still young and honestly, the two Seoul University students have already come to terms with their situation.

 

They have started to adapt into this new world of theirs, understanding how it all worked and realizing their time was so boring. But then, if they were in the future, that also meant that it will come true eventually.

 

And that meant, them being lovers. Individuals married together. They had to take that into consideration as well.

 

Although at first, they denied it completely. But now? The two aren’t really sure.

 

“Hey Chorong, do you think that…maybe we could be more than friends?” Eunji asked carefully. She’s been wanting to ask that question for a long time. Especially since the time they sky-dived together. She felt something. But she wasn’t sure what it was. A spark? A feeling?

 

Chorong shrugged in reply. “Why are you asking that now?” The senior replied as she tried to hide the growing blush on her cheeks.

 

Unlike Eunji who has been wanting to ask this question, Chorong on the other hand, wished to avoid it at all costs. She was never the someone who would confront things head on like that. She preferred to let time flow naturally and make everything fall into place.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe because I wanted to challenge myself against fate.” Eunji smirked, “Shall we make a bet? If you don’t fall in love with me, then it means that we can change the events of time.”

 

“A-and why would you want to do that for?”

 

“Are you in it or not?”

 

The junior insisted, ignoring the question from the senior. It takes a couple seconds of thought and silence. For a moment, the thought did cross Chorong’s head. And just before she could open -

 

“Hello! I’m back!”

 

Hayoung chimed in, causing Chorong to flinch as Eunji waved at her daughter. And suddenly, whatever they were talking about was put on hold.

 

The junior shifted the attention to their daughter, asking if things went well with Naeun to which Hayoung reported back excitedly, explaining how she’s managed to clear up their misunderstandings and realizing that Naeun isn’t that bad of a person.

 

As Chorong watched the two talk happily, the senior sighed in relief. At least she doesn’t have to face Eunji’s challenge for now. Quietly returning to chew on the marshmallow sticks, the night passes like that.

 

It continues for another two days. Chatting, eating, scouting, more walking and at long last, the, the team were now close to checkpoint.

 

But there was a problem.

 

Gimhae Airport meant this was where the real deal began. Desert trekking in Daegu? Easy. But here? They had to be careful.

 

The airport was now nest for mutants; humans who have been infected by high level of doses that they have become creatures of manifestation; sometimes they would have several limbs growing out of their bodies, others might expand in size and the rest lost their eyesight, relying only on sound to tread the grounds.

 

Just beyond that dark, abandoned tunnel in front of the team, a decision had to be made - To take Chorong and Eunji with them or to have them hide in the tunnel until everything is safe?

 

“Any of you learned self-defense?” Hayoung asked to which Chorong answered with Hapkido and Eunji, boxing. The runner hummed in thought and asked another question, “Any of you know how to hold a gun?” The response was left with the two exchanging glances at each other and shaking their heads in unison

 

“Well, that’s a problem.” Number one sighed. “Three years in the field, what’s your take?” She turned to Naeun who seemed to already have an answer.

 

“They are staying.”

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

The roars of mutants could be heard from a far distance. It was so strong to the point that the ground rumbled in response.

 

“I thought they were going for stealth mode?”

 

Chorong asked as she and Eunji found a perfect hiding spot in the tunnel. Tucked inside the empty electrical booths, reeking of fuse and oil, it isn’t exactly the best place but this was for the best. Eunji shrugged in reply. “Beats me. I guess they like to go off with a bang.”

 

Shots fired continuously at the mutant-infested street to the airport. Jumping onto the cars, climbing onto rusted lamp poles and making use of the abandoned structures around her, Hayoung was showing her full potential as a runner.

 

Fearlessly prancing onto the mutants that were twice her size, squeezing their throats tight as she fired a bullet through their head. Hayoung swung across with her extended wires just moments before its body crashed onto the ground. It’s a quick kill and leaves number one to waste no time onto her next target.

 

For the first time, Hayoung was having so much fun in battle. She was grunting and shouting, yet there was a bright smile written all over her face. Like a kid who was finally let out into the playgrounds, she missed this part of being a runner.

 

“Haha! Take that, you bastard!” Hayoung cheered in victory, eyes focused on her fallen enemy.

 

Not aware that a mutant rose up from behind, a bullet saved her. Number one only noticed it when she heard its groan. “What the?!” Watching the creature stumble and bleed to death, Hayoung looked up and caught hold of the white blinking light from afar.

 

“Please be more careful.” Naeun buzzed through the radio with a sigh. She was located a couple miles away, on the rooftop of a convenience store. Supporting her teammate from a distance, number four played more of the sniper role in team missions anyway. Making use of the walls, she took each shot with careful calculation and precision.

 

Hayoung waved over with a thumbs up. “You’re the best!” She grinned, returning back to face the remaining mutants. “Alright, who wants to have a taste of my gun?!”

 

Despite their difference in experience, number one and four exhibited surprisingly good teamwork. Hayoung acted as a tank, charging forward with powerful attacks. Naeun on the other hand, targeted mutants that were within Hayoung’s blind spot.

 

“Woohoo! Take that!” Hayoung whistled as she swung to another lamp pole, playfully imitating Tarzan as she sent a flying kick to a mutant. Piercing a bullet through its eye as she somersaulted backwards onto the ground, number one dusted her hands and scanned her surroundings.

 

That mutant was the final one. All that’s left is to enter the airport and go through another round of “cleansing” the vicinity.

 

Regrouping with her teammate, Naeun handed a cloth to Hayoung. “You might want to clean yourself.”

 

Not even in her three years of experience has she met someone who had so much fun fighting on the battlefield. It was obvious by the fresh blood stains of her enemies all over her face.

 

Number one was so different from the rest. She shouldn’t have judged the book from the cover. At first, Naeun assumed that due to the lack of training and experience, number four thought that Hayoung wasn’t competent when it came to real battles and thus, wanted to take good care of her.

 

But real battles were where her true personality fleshed out. She was able to see the joyful, bright side of Hayoung who seemed so much like a sun shining her path. It was such a breath of fresh air.

 

“Oh! Right.” Hayoung grinned, “Thanks!” Smacking the cloth onto her face, she was more focused on fighting more mutants. Reloading her weapon, she turned to Naeun, “Ready to have some fun?”

 

Naeun stared at her teammate who seemed nothing more than an excited kid who’s about to visit a candy store. The fact that she’s so happy at killing does make her worry a bit.

 

While it’s good to have a motivated member in the team, but the way that Hayoung fights is a bit too reckless.

 

“Just be careful. I’ll cover you.” Number four sighed in reply, following behind Hayoung who took the lead.  

 

Back at the tunnel, it’s all silent.

 

Amongst the darkness, there are rusted cars scattered everywhere. Besides the eerie sounds leaking pipes and the distant gunfire thanks to Hayoung, the two university students are closer than ever.

 

The room that they hid in, is rather compact with barely enough space to spread their legs across. Shoulders brushing against each other, legs curled up, they are going to have to stay in this position for at least another hour.

 

“You’re too close.” Chorong mumbled shyly as she looked away, not wanting to feel the breath of Eunji caressing against her neck. “Well, we don’t have a choice.” Eunji tried to shift her body around so that there was more room to breathe.

 

Sweat trickled down their foreheads. It’s humid, hot and sticky. As much as they would love to open the door and allow air circulation, Naeun warned them that it would be dangerous. With the battle ongoing, mutants may find their way back to the tunnel and roam the vicinity.  

 

This would leave them no choice but to “suffer” in this space.

 

“I’m dying. It’s really hot here. Like a damn sauna.” Chorong complained, but Eunji found it an opportunity to make a joke, “Then it should be healthy for you- ouch!”

 

“Shut up. This isn’t the time to be playing around.” The senior frowned, “Stop laughing. It’s not funny.”

 

“Alright, princess.” Eunji raised her hands up in surrender as she peeked over, pondering in thought. It takes a long second as she looked at Chorong, “It wouldn’t hurt if we just open the door just a tiny bit…right?” She suggested carefully.

 

The junior had expected Chorong to scold her and tell her that it’s going to get them killed. But to her surprise, the senior already has her hand on the doorknob, ready to open it. “You should’ve said that earlier!”

 

Turning it slightly as the creak echoed, Chorong peeked through the small opening. As she tried to make sense of the dark environment, her eyes were met with something. Something that she shouldn’t have seen.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Eunji asked, noticing that she literally froze for a long second. She was sure at one point, Chorong stopped breathing at whatever she saw. Knowing that something was wrong, the junior gently pulled her back into the room and poked her head into the opening.

 

There it was. A mutant.

 

Hearing the descriptions from Naeun didn’t help the visuals at all. Now that she could see it in its real form, it’s way more terrifying than she thought. Twice the height of a human, it had two other arms growing from its back. It had eyes that glowed in the colour of blood. Spikes around its neck and a growl resembling to that of a gorilla.

 

Mutants were no doubt, a creation of horror come to life.

 

Eunji quickly closed the door shut and made sure it was locked. “Chorong. We are going to be okay. Pretend you did not see it.” The junior tried to reassure her.

 

But one look was enough for her to tell that Chorong was on the verge of crying. She’s shivering in fear, as if she saw a ghost. Immediately pulling her into a hug, hands her head, “It’s okay. I’m here. Just focus on me.”

 

“I-I’m scared Eunji. I-“

 

“Ssh.” Eunji quietly hushed her, placing her finger on Chorong’s lips. “Listen to me.” She whispered and slowly hummed a melody. The junior tried to use the same technique. Just like what they did during the skydive.

 

As a lullaby murmuring gently into Chorong’s eyes, as Eunji continued to her fingers through her hair, hoping that it would be enough to calm her down- the door suddenly banged loudly.

 

Instinctively, Eunji covered Chorong’s mouth, knowing that she would scream and attract more mutants to their hideout.

 

“Shh. Don’t panic. Keep calm.” Eunji whispered, hugging tightly onto Chorong as they remained still to the wall. But they flinched when the door banged again. Two times. Three times. They could hear the mutant’s growl just beyond that thin layer of metal.

 

It was coming for them.

 

And at that moment, Chorong finally burst into tears. Scared and shivering in fear, Eunji knew that she had to be strong. Trying to stay calm, she remembered Naeun describing mutants as blind creatures who relied on their sense of hearing.

 

She has to smartly take advantage of its weakness.

 

Bang!

 

The door finally gave in and exploded. As the metal board flew out, Eunji quickly pushed Chorong down on the ground and covered , hoping it would suppress the sound of her screams.

 

“Close your eyes.” Eunji whispered as Chorong quickly obeyed, wanting to place her trust in the junior. Even though the junior too, was panicking at the sight of the mutant peeking it’s large head into the tight room, the two remained still.

 

They pretended to be objects that did not make a single sound. What felt like a minute, seemed like an hour. Eunji could feel the breath of the mutant against her skin, its gaze locked on her but unable to see her.

 

I’m not going to let you touch Chorong. Over my dead body, you ing monster.

 

The mutant growled once more, irritated that it did not find what it heard and slowly retreated back. Its steps shook the ground as it returned back to the tunnel and decided to turn its attention to Hayoung’s loud gun fires.

 

Chorong and Eunji continued to stay still in their position with the younger one on top, back arched upwards as she used her body as a shield. The older one closed her eyes tight, praying that all of this will be over.

 

“I think it’s gone.”

 

Eunji finally said, realizing that she was actually really close to Chorong. Flustered, she quickly got off and apologized, “S-Sorry. I did that without thinking…” She shyly scratched her head as Chorong too, blushed out of embarrassment.

 

“It’s okay…” The senior mumbled as she rubbed her tears away. “You did that to protect me. Thank you Eunji.”

 

“Wait, do you hear that?”

 

Eunji paused and quickly leaned back to the wall, peeking through the opening.

 

“That’s not the sound of a mutant, Eunji.” Chorong said, listening carefully to the noise that was approaching them.

 

“That’s…the sound of a motorcycle.”  

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

“I told you not to open that door!”

 

Naeun yelled as she ran back in retreat, sliding under a falling pillar and narrowly escaping death. Hayoung was barely behind, jumping over the debris as she was more preoccupied with dealing the gigantic monstrosity that was pretty much her fault.

 

“If I didn’t open that door, how would we have known that such a thing was living there?!”

 

Hayoung argued back in reply, looking back in awe at how enormous this mutant was. In the childish mind of hers, she would label this as the final boss to defeat.

 

Just minutes ago, the duo finished killing all the remaining mutants that were scattered inside the airport. Hayoung insisted to check each and every room to ensure that there was none left. But the runner accidentally stumbled an unfortunate gem.

 

A sleeping, yet massive mutant that buried itself between three floors of the building.

 

Had she not walked inside, the mutant would have never woken up and remained dormant forever. And they would not be running with their lives at stake and having the airport close to falling apart.

 

“What do we do now?!” Naeun panted, losing breath from all the running. 

 

“Kill it, duh!”

 

“You think we can kill this thing?!”

 

“Never know till you try!”

 

Naeun can’t believe her. From the corner of her eye, she sees Hayoung reloading her gun and halting her steps. Turning backwards as she took one long look at the gigantic mutant heading towards them, number one was ready to attack it.

 

“You’re crazy!”

 

"Hey there big boy!" Number one stuck herself onto the mutant’s large foot as her body swayed left and right. Using all of her strength to hold on, Hayoung began to climb upwards by stabbing her blade into its skin. She groaned, struggling to stay on.

 

"Could need some help here!" Waving over at number four, Naeun rolled her eyes and sighed. She has no choice but to follow along with this absolutely insane plan. Looking up at the close-to-collapse floors, she decided to go for it.

 

Extending her wires out as it eased the climb, Naeun quickly positioned herself at a corner and looked through her scope. She’s pretty sure a bullet won’t hurt this massive, walking mutant.

 

“There’s an opening at his neck. Aim for that one!” Hayoung buzzed through the radio as she can be heard grunting, still working on climbing to the top of the mutant. "In video games, it's usually like that!"

 

As much as Naeun would argue back and saying that this is not a video game, number four decided to follow her orders. Even though she is the team leader, for once, she wants to try believing in number one.  

 

Waiting for the right moment as her breath quickened, Hayoung shouted into the earpiece, “Now!”

 

Number four pulled the trigger as her bullet cut across the air, piercing directly into the mutant's neck as Hayoung used that momentum to stab her blade in. As she aggressively twisted and turned it around, stretching the wound apart, the monster's powerful cry caused the whole airport to shake.

 

The vibration of the sound waves were so strong that Hayoung lost her grip and fell several feet downwards.

 

“Hayoung!”

 

But luck is on her side. Just moments before Hayoung recieved a massive head fracture from the fall, the female quickly pulled out her extended wires that attached itself onto the faltering monster. Pulling her helpless body upwards, the runner was momentarily flying midway in the air and took the chance to strike.

 

“Take this!”

 

She yelled, prancing her whole body onto the mutant's face and stabbed her blade into its eyeball. Black blood spilled all over as its screams shook the airport once again. Hayoung lost her balance. But this time, Naeun was there to catch her.

 

Landing softly in number four’s arms, "Oh, my hero." The look of worry on Naeun's face immediately changed to a scowl and number four carelessly discarded her teammate on the floor.

 

“Ouch!”

 

Naeun sighed, dusting her hands and not even caring to help Hayoung to her feet. “Come on. We need to go and get the two of them.” As expected, number four stuck true to her mission. Now that the mutant is dead, she's worried about Chorong and Eunji.

 

"I don't think we need to." Hayoung had a smug smile on her face as she heard a familiar sound in the distance. "Look over there." She pointed over to the direction of the shattered airport windows.

 

Two motorcycles raced out from the tunnel. One neon blue, the other neon red. Both were performing neat tricks as they flew high up in the air. Their engines roared loudly as they landed on the roofs and proceeded to zoom down to the airport entrance, slowly squeaking to a halt.

 

“Oh my god! That was so fun!” Eunji cheered as she punched the air. Exhilarated by the whole ride as it got her adrenaline pumping, she's adamant on asking them to teach her how to ride the bike.

 

"Is it over? Is it over?!" Chorong's eyes were still shut tight as her legs were shaking out of fear. Eunji laughed at her and threw in comments about her being a scaredy-cat. It doesn't take long for the two to start bickering again.

 

The female in the red jumpsuit removed her helmet first, letting her long black hair flow free as she took a proper look at Hayoung. “You’re really alive.” She smiled, pulling a stunned number one into a hug. The one in blue followed suit and joined the embrace. "And for all these years, I thought you were dead. Stop scaring me like that, ."

 

Number smiled softly, holding back her tears as she took a long look at the both of them.  “I’m glad to see you guys again. Sooyoung, Yerin.” 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

For the first time in a long time, the airport that was once thriving with so much life was finally breathing in a small amount of it again. It gave the place the colour it missed. The presence of humans that it missed.

 

Hayoung, Sooyoung and Yerin laughed as they sat around the campfire, reminiscing their times and talking about the present. Three years went by so quickly but that did not falter their strong friendship at all.

 

Eunji, being the adventurous person, she was, decided not to intrude in their reunion and decided to explore the airport. Chorong followed her not because she wanted to- well, after that near-death experience with the mutant at the tunnel, she’s feeling a little more clingy now.

 

And Naeun…the woman has disappeared. Like a shadow that faded away upon the entrance of light, no one noticed it except for Hayoung.

 

“And then we found this really big-“ Yerin circled her hands around to describe the creature.“Sorry, hold that for a bit. Let me go for a toilet break.” Hayoung raised her hand up with an excuse.

 

“Sure. Go ahead.” Yerin shrugged in reply, glancing over at Sooyoung as the two quietly watched her go. But the two have been teammates for so long that even a single look was enough to tell everything.

 

Smiling, the two knocked each other’s shoulders. “You know, you are probably right.” Sooyoung said as she casually laid back to the ground with a groan.

 

“What? About Naeun? Oh please.” Yerin scoffed and proceeded to lie down with her member. “I’m no fortune teller. Even though we did not start off on pretty good terms, well- we still are, but I think Hayoung’s going to build that bridge for us.”

 

“Because she’s obviously gay and Naeun is clearly her type? Yeah, I’m gonna bet on love.” Sooyoung snickered as she playfully hit her member.

 

When the two received news of Hayoung’s disappearance after entering the time portal, they wanted to hang onto hope that she will return soon. But that wait stretched onto months, years and eventually, they stopped believing.

 

Carrying out countless of missions as runners under the Stallion name, they thought that work would make them forget about the pain. But it hurt even more when Lee Byung Hun announced a new addition to their team. A ‘replacement’ for number one.

 

Despite the arguments and bitter hatred that ensued the following years, Yerin and Sooyoung decided that they should just move on. Runners are runners. Death happens. And they should accept the fact that Hayoung is gone.

 

But who would’ve thought that the small bit of hope they tried to hold onto their heart would come true?

 

“Where the hell did she go?”

 

Hayoung mumbled as she scratched her head in thought. She searched the whole airport for Naeun. From the first to the highest floor, entering waiting rooms, looking over counters, peeking into the toilets, it has the female frowning at number four’s sudden disappearance.

 

“Are you looking for the toilet?”

 

That familiar voice. Hayoung turned around quickly as she flinched, seeing the said woman right there. “Uh, no. Not-really.” Flustered, number one turned back and hoped that the hot strike of blush across her cheek wasn’t too obvious. “I was uh- looking for you actually…”

 

“And why would you be looking for me? Shouldn’t you be with your friends?” Naeun arched an eyebrow as she walked over to her member.

 

That statement took Hayoung by surprise.

 

“You are my friend.”

 

Hayoung emphasized as she looked Naeun straight in the eyes. She didn’t like how it was said. She made it seem as if she was never part of their team, that she never belonged there in the first place.

 

Seeing the slight tick of anger from her eyes, it leaves Naeun surprised. “…Sorry.” She looked down and awkwardly placed her arms behind her back, “I just…like to be alone.”

 

Hayoung sighed. “I’ll respect that.” Crossing her arms, number one admitted defeat knowing that there is no point in forcing her. But she wants to let her know that she doesn’t always have to be alone.

 

“You know, you can always talk to me. Like any problems you have, whatever that’s on your mind, just- just don’t keep it all to yourself, okay?”

 

Naeun continued to stare at her and it doesn’t seem to help Hayoung’s situation at all. If anything, it’s as if her words didn’t reach her ears.

 

“Whatever. I was just making sure that you didn’t wander off somewhere and…I don’t know, maybe got yourself in a battle with more mutants and needed help-what am I even saying- we already cleared this area so there’s no way that-“

 

As Hayoung started to mumble speedily out of nervousness, simply because Naeun keeps staring at her all the time, she hears a giggle from the woman’s mouth.  

 

“It’s okay.” Naeun smiled. And boy, it quickened Hayoung’s heartbeat. As much as she would love to stay, number one wants to leave before her heart jumps out of her chest.

 

 “I can always call you if there’s danger anyway.” Naeun pointed at her wristband.

 

“R-Right. Anyways, enjoy your alone time then. I’ll head back with the others. Good night.” Hayoung cut in before she could say anything else and turned her heel around.

 

Naeun made sure that Hayoung left and continued to wander about the airport. All alone in the dark, sometimes using the light from her wristband to assist her, she doesn’t mind it at all. The silence allows her to give her some space to think.

 

“I don’t think we should be here Eunji…”

 

Chorong carefully climbed up the ladder with Eunji randomly found after poking around the half-fallen ceiling. As much as she would have nagged and explained that it was better to be back with the rest, she has decided to leave her junior be.

 

For some reason, she finds happiness in seeing Eunji all excited. She isn’t sure if it’s because of her bright smile. Or the high-pitched tone that she has. Or maybe both.

 

“Oh please. Did you forget that we time travelled to the future? No one’s going to come after us. This is a lawless place now!”

 

Eunji turned the knob around and pushed the circular metal door through. A strong blow of wind hit her face as she realized that this was a hidden rooftop at the airport.

 

“Wow! This is amazing!” The junior grew all the more excited as she extended her hand out. “Come on Chorong! You’re gonna love this!”

 

“It better be.” Chorong frowned but caught onto her hand anyway. With one strong pull, the two of them landed on a small platform at the top of the control room tower. The view was enough to leave the both of them breathless.

 

From there, they could see the whole world revolving around them. The abandoned buildings and architecture, fallen debris, scattered bodies of mutants, dust and smoke. But in the middle of everything else, was the beautiful night sky.

 

Above the clouds, were the sparkling stars. And maybe if they reached a bit further out, they could see the moon.

 

“…This is beautiful.”

 

Chorong said after moments of silent staring and appreciation of the night sky. Eunji grinned at that response as she leaned her head over the railing, “I told ya!”

 

“…Thank you, Eunji.”

 

“Hm? For what?”

 

“The thing that happened in the tunnel. If it wasn’t for you, we probably would have died-“

 

“Don’t say that Chorong.” Eunji cut in, not liking the mention of the “d” word at all. “We won’t die. We’ll get back home. I’ll promise you that.” She held tightly onto her hand. “You know that I was joking when I said I wanted to stay her forever right?”

 

“Wait, you were?”

 

“Of course! You know that we don’t belong here. And I trust that they will bring us back.” Eunji said as she looked at the stars. “But Chorong…can you promise me one thing?” She asked hesitantly after much thought.

 

“What?”

 

Eunji took a long breath as she decided to go for it. “If we do manage to make it back to our world, can I ask you out on a date?”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Oh? Is that it?” Eunji scoffed, not expecting that reaction at all. In fact, the junior thought Chorong would get all nervous and surprised, straight up rejecting her and all that. But here, she’s just smiling at her as if she’s actually thinking about it.

 

“…And?” Eunji asked again, growing slightly impatient. “Don’t- just stare at me like that.”

 

It was then Chorong quickly leaned in and placed a quick peck on Eunji’s cheek. “Maybe.” She answered, tapping her shoulder and heading back for the ladder.

 

Eunji’s all smiles when she hears that. “Hey? You mean it?”

 

“Hurry up, we need to get back with the others.”

 

Seeing how Chorong’s obviously avoiding wanting to answer her is enough to make Eunji smile even wider. To her, she’s going to take it as a yes.

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

 “Alright. So, judging from the direction of the signal, it should be somewhere around this area.” Sooyoung said, looking down at the radar that was connected to the system back at Solitude. “The two of you are going to stick with us as we head north” She pointed at Chorong and Eunji. “That leaves you guys on south. Good luck.”

 

Hayoung shrugged, “Oh well. You better protect them. Over your dead bodies, you understand?”

 

“Got it man. Chill.”

 

Yerin laughed as she playfully raised her hands up in surrender. She glanced over at Sooyoung, knowing fully well that their plan to make number one and four stuck together on one team alone, was a complete success.

 

Chorong and Eunji got behind the neon motorcycles, struggling halfway because the hazmat suits which they were told to wear. The journey forward will be dangerous especially for “normal” humans due to the high dose of radiation lurking deep in the Busan city.

 

Runners were designed to be immune to radiation so they were going to fine either way. As the motorcycle engines woke up with a roar, the two waved their goodbyes to Hayoung.

 

Just as number one could reply, Yerin and Sooyoung zoomed off quickly into the distance, causing Hayoung to cough due to the smoke. “They .”

 

“Let’s go.” Naeun replied, not wasting any time.

 

As they walked through the city of Busan in the search of the signal, it’s not a surprise that it’s a rather quiet stroll. Naeun doesn’t initiate conversations. And Hayoung is in no position because she’s half-worried about the safety of her parents but also half-thinking about how she’s alone with number four right now.

 

She never thought that she would hate having to reunite with Yerin and Sooyoung. They knew her best and being the “good best friends” they were, decided to put her on the same team as her crush. That’s great.  

 

Well, maybe she could use this time to get to know better. All Hayoung knows is that she’s pretty. Likes to spend time alone. A pretty good sniper, supports her well in battle. Kind-hearted. Has a really cute smile that she hopes to see more.

 

“Thinking of something?”

 

“Huh? What? Uh- no. Okay, yes.”

 

Hayoung was flustered at Naeun’s sudden question. And this time, she can’t hide the blush on her cheeks as she can see her giggling again.

 

“Stop looking at me like that. I swear I’m usually not like this when I’m alone with someone.”

 

“It’s fine, number one.”

 

And the silence continues once again. For once, Hayoung probably likes this better. If she were to initiate another round of conversation, she might end up embarrassing herself again.

 

As they are midway through walking deep into the city, the view is a lot murkier due to the gas and smoke. At this point, normal humans would suffocate and die immediately. But because of their unique abilities as runners, the two are completely fine.

 

Taking turns to scout the area, climbing up the taller buildings, looking high and low for the signal point to either buzz or increase in volume, Hayoung wondered if they were just looking at the wrong place. What if the answer isn’t up, but down?

 

So, the runner jumped off from the tower and slid into a basement carpark, running through the pillars and walls. And suddenly, the signal beeped once. Then, twice. It began to become louder.

 

“Naeun, I think you better come over. I’m at the basement carpark at this building, uh what was it again…” Hayoung looked around for any signs. “Gowon Grace Hospital.”

 

“Roger that. Coming over.” Number four buzzed through the radio channel.

 

Scouring through the carpark, she decided to go another level underground. And that was it. She was right. The signal began to beep even louder as she was deeper into the level.

 

“They have four levels of carpark. I’m at B2 so it should be B4…” Hayoung mumbled as she looked at the signs and continued to head downwards, the signal volume increasing louder than ever that it’s become annoying to her ears.

 

Running down and jumping over the cars, she sees it. Something that she never thought would be there. But then, it’s a smart way to hide.

 

Her path was now blocked by a gigantic metal vault door. Obviously circular and oddly intimidating, Hayoung was about to have hope that just maybe, they were in there. The problem now is, how is she going to enter?

 

When she tapped onto her wristband, the radio signal has disappeared because she was too deep underground. She won’t be able to contact Naeun if anything happens.

 

“Guess it’s just me huh? Great.” Hayoung sighed as she wandered around the vault door, figuring if there was anything to get through.

 

At first, number one threw a punch and all it did was create an echoing noise. Then, she tried to turn the knobs around but they were just too heavy. While there’s a keypad to enter a password, she clearly has no idea what it might be.

 

Sitting on the ground in defeat, Hayoung’s stuck.

 

“Wait.”

 

An idea struck into her head, as she tried to remember what her parents might put as a password. Trying her luck as she pressed the numbers in…the vault clicked.

 

“Holy .”

 

Watching the vault rotate as its metals and screws screeched loudly, she did it. The password was the date of her parents wedding anniversary.

 

 

--

 

 

 


A/N: 

Hayoung has found a mysterious vault underneath the city of Busan. But the question is, would her real parents be there? Or is just another trap?

Here's a run-down of the chapter so far :)

- Bomi used to be Eunji's assistant and were very close. But one night, she suddenly went rogue, commited a crime and "died". Her motives still unknown and simply kept that way forever.

- Sooyoung and Yerin, aka runners number two and three to the rescue! It looks like they weren't exactly happy with Naeun's addition to the team but seem hopeful that it will change with Hayoung around. 

- Chorong and Eunji's developments are becoming a lot more obvious and sweeter uwu

- Hayoung's panic with her crush on the mysterious Naeun

- Discovery of a hidden metal vault several levels underneath an abandoned hospital. Could this possibly be where the real Chorong and Eunji are hiding? 

Thank you for patiently waiting for an update! Do let me know your thoughts on how you think this chapter will lead up, especially as we see more developments and progress between Eunrong and Hana! :)