Chapter 3

What Baekhyun wants, Baekhyun gets

Chanyeol’s incessant protectiveness over Baekhyun begins.

 

‘Chanyeol! Faster! Faster!’

 

‘Wait Baekhyun I’m coming!’

 

‘Ngh I can’t!’

 

Baekhyun was currently on a new training equipment, which Chanyeol likes to call the cloth pulling exercise. The tough and long piece of fabric is attached to the ceiling, and the judo trainees have to climb up the fabric to gain abdominal strength (pretty cool! Check out Baekhyun’s episode of Cool Kids on the block). Baekhyun, being the curious male he is, decides to climb up without any supervision, and now that he is slightly above the surface of the mattress, he screams for Chanyeol that he is scared of ‘heights’.

 

“Chanyeollie, Chanyeollie…” It has come to a point whereby Baekhyun would just sing Chanyeol’s name for fun, as he swings on some other equipment, or even when he’s just laying flat on the judo mat.

 

The poor, whipped Chanyeol notices Baekhyun calling out for him, and immediately dashes across the training centre to ‘catch’ him. Chanyeol’s friends shake their heads as they laughed, Chanyeol must be really clueless to not know that Baekhyun is doing this to get his attention.

 

-

 

‘Byun Baekhyun, come here.’ Kim Jongin, the year 3 Judo player orders Baekhyun to stay behind after the club session one day. Jongin has had enough with Baekhyun’s antics, seeing how Baekhyun would stare at Chanyeol with his big googly eyes while Chanyeol tightened his Judo belt, how Chanyeol would rush to Baekhyun even if the smaller only hurt his tiniest finger - if his best friend couldn’t see through Baekhyun’s silly antics, he has brought it onto himself to get this clingy mochi off his best friend.

 

‘Sunbae, what’s wrong?’ Baekhyun waddles over and looks up to the taller, sensing the older’s fierce gaze.

 

Jongin hides his smile and controls his monotonous face, perhaps now he understood why - making eye contact with Baekhyun was lethal, especially when he looks at you with his big shaky pupils.

 

‘You’ve been distracting Chanyeol a lot, he needs to practice too, so stay away from him from now on, understood?’ Jongin speaks with his arms crossed, awaiting the smaller’s response.

 

Baekhyun’s lips turn into a pout, and he copies Jongin’s crossed arms.

 

‘I don’t want to!’ Baekhyun shouts, scrunching up his nose.

 

Jongin raises his eyebrows, this freshman had no manners at all.

 

‘You don’t want to?’ Jongin questions Baekhyun, who’s now playing with his fingers. How dare Baekhyun come in and declare what he wanted?

 

‘Fine. You can have Chanyeol,’ Jongin starts, and the twinkle in Baekhyun’s eyes return again.

 

‘But, on one condition, you have to beat me in a judo match.’ Jongin smirks, thinking that Baekhyun had zero chance of defeating him, after all - he was the club’s best judo player. What was the chances of a newcomer winning this match? Close to zero.

 

Baekhyun, forgetting his ‘I-don’t-know-how-to-do-Judo’ persona, immediately agrees to the deal. 

 

‘I’m in! When can we start?’ Baekhyun replies, shocking Jongin. Did Baekhyun really like Chanyeol that much? Did he really think he stood a chance?

 

‘Now. Get in here.’ Jongin walked up to the Judo mat, ready to give Baekhyun a piece of his mind. Baekhyun struts confidently onto the mat, just win this and he can continue pestering Chanyeol, right? Sweet victory will be his.

 

‘Ready?’ Jongin asks, unsure of why he is facing a smiley Baekhyun.

 

‘Yes! I’m ready to make Chanyeol mine!’ Baekhyun squeals excitedly, irking Jongin even more.

 

‘Okay, start!’

 

Jongin starts with a traditional sleeve and lapel grip, attempting to make Baekhyun’s next move more vulnerable. But Baekhyun is able to casually avoid Jongin’s attack, and proceeds to do an elbow strike and a front kick, causing Jongin to retreat. Jongin is shocked at Baekhyun’s abilities, the smaller definitely has some killer techniques, and his gaze is definitely different - he looked more sharp and fierce, compared to the usual bubbly appearance. Did he go too easy on him?

 

Jongin brushes off his thoughts and charges forward - breaking Baekhyun’s balance towards the right and putting his sole on Baekhyun’s right ankle, in an attempt once again to rotate Baekhyun and throw him. But somehow, Jongin suddenly loses his grip as Baekhyun breaks his balance instead and inserts his right arm under his armpit, holding Jongin over his shoulder before loading him on his back and bam. 

 

Kim Jongin faces his crushing defeat.

 

Baekhyun pants after throwing Jongin over his shoulder, it has been a while since he had done it, and Jongin was a heavy lad too, he must admit. Baekhyun blinks his eyes before realizing that he has won, and his senior is groaning on the mat.

 

‘Ah Sunbae, I’m really sorry! Are you okay?’ Baekhyun reaches out his hand to help Jongin up, but his help is turned down.

 

‘Where did you learn to do that, Baekhyun?’

 

‘Eh? Urm I just watched a lot of shows and uh haha I think you were easy on me Sunbae because I’m just a beginner right? Hahah’ Baekhyun chuckles nervously, scratching his hair, but they both knew that Baekhyun had just performed a high level technique that many judo players still struggle with. And he didn’t just do it. He executed it perfectly.

 

‘Uh, so a deal’s a deal right? I can keep hanging out with Chanyeol? See you next week during practice Sunbae!’ Baekhyun gives his senior a cute smile and bows quickly before making a dash for the exit, his silhouette getting tinier and tinier. Jongin couldn’t help but laugh sadistically, Baekhyun’s judo uniform was still way too big for him, he was surprised that the smaller didn’t trip on his feet during the match. Jongin still has chills from the way the freshman flipped him earlier.

 

‘, I think I just had a match with a black belt Judo player.’ 

 

Welp, Baekhyun’s secret is out to one person now. But he doesn’t regret it at all, he had to win, right?

 

Because what Baekhyun wants, Baekhyun gets.