nine

Here We Meet Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

tw: mention of drugs

“That’s impossible.”

“It isn’t impossible if you look at their history though,” Rosé stands up, pacing around the living room with a binder in her arm. She literally feels lightbulbs lighting up in her head because now there is another suspect in question. “There’s no way this woman would see Irene in a good light at all.”

Despite the fact that Irene and Seulgi’s little fiasco happened so many years ago, it’s not a secret that Seulgi’s current girlfriend has quite the character – fierce and protective over her loved ones. While Rosé has done her share of digging into the people around Irene, she found absolutely nothing suspicious, save for Jennie. Now with different suspects popping up here and there, Rosé is ecstatic for their upcoming investigations.

Wendy has her arms crossed over her chest, swinging idly in her little hammock in the balcony. “I still don’t think any of this is needed but we can definitely speak to her if you wish to.”

Call her biased; call her childish but Wendy will not be letting her eyes off Jennie in the least. She knows for a fact that this woman is involved in whatever mess Irene has gotten herself into. No one is blind either way… and Wendy herself is embarrassed to admit this, but she still cares.

“Will you be okay though?” Rosé sits down on the wooden stool beside the older woman. “You might end up bumping into the other one.”

See, Wendy once thought she’d never be able to look at her former friend in the eye without wanting to deck her right in the face after all that went down between them. She held onto that sweet thought of revenge for so many years, even detailing how it was going to happen to Rosé. The heartbreak and pain those two women made her go through was immaculate and beyond comprehension, no matter how people want to justify it. A mistake is a mistake – once a cheater, always a cheater – her mother taught her that. It was only some time last year that Wendy learnt to let go of her deepest hatred, finding peace within herself.

For once, she understood why hating others was so much tougher than forgiving them. She was always miserable, always wondering ‘what if’ for everything that went down between them.

If Rosé hadn’t been there with her throughout these years, Wendy thinks – no, she’s sure she won’t even be here today.

“As long as we go together, I’ll be fine. My anger should have been put aside years ago anyway,” Wendy smiles, taking Rosé’s hand into her own.

Rosé can only manage a megawatt smile, eyes welling with tears when she realizes how much her best friend has grown. She uses her other hand to pat Wendy’s cheek, “I’m so, so proud of you. Remember that being the bigger person is always going to pay off some day."

Deep down inside, Wendy still feels some bitterness lingering in her heart but she meant every word she said to Rosé. She was no longer angry with the woman, just distrusting - it would be insane if she stupidly believed everything told to her again. Her mind, however, is stronger than ever. If Rosé is going to be with her every step of the way, then Wendy believes the meeting later in the evening will go just fine.

“Come on, let’s go to the broadcasting company.”

 

“Actually, can we not?”

“We’re already here, Seungwan,” Rosé rolls her eyes, fingers still intertwined with Wendy’s. She could see this coming a mile away actually, what with how quick her best friend agreed.

Wendy incoherently grumbles under her breath, knowing there is actually no way out of this now. If Rosé had her way, she’d be dragging Wendy by the ankles with a piece of tape over . She isn’t reluctant because she’s still mad though, that’s for sure, but she doesn’t know how to pick up from their past at all. Things can happen in a moment of folly, but the consequences always seem to be dire beyond imagination. If Wendy doesn’t bump into her here then it’s going to be a mere walk in the garden instead of thorns; after all, she doesn’t know Park Sooyoung personally anyway.

It’s crazy how life screws someone over just like that, isn’t it?

“Good afternoon, I’m Park Sooyoung! You must be Roseanne, right? We spoke on the phone last night.”

If Rosé and Wendy are convinced for a fraction of a minute that this woman can be capable of something as serious as leaking a tape, their assumptions are thrown out of the window just as fast.

“It’s nice to meet you, Miss Park.”

Park Sooyoung, a tall gorgeous specimen who seems to be in no one’s league but her own, approaches from across the hall with confidence laced in every stride. She has a body that screams perfect, long legs that go on forever emphasized in her killer stilettos and an extremely toned torso which shows in her white blouse. Appearances is certainly not a factor for worry right here. If Sooyoung wasn’t already well known in the media and the entertainment circle, Wendy would have assumed this woman standing right here is either a model or a dancer.

Wendy outstretches her hand for a handshake, a polite smile on her face. “I’m Roseanne’s partner, Wendy Son.”

The slight tweak in Sooyoung’s expression when she hears her introduction doesn’t go unnoticed, but she decides against making a scene.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Sooyoung says, giving the lawyer’s hand a tender squeeze.

Does she know?

Before Wendy has time to contemplate or put things into perspective, she’s being dragged into the meeting room with her best friend and Miss Park. Her thoughts don’t manage to rest for long because Rosé doesn’t beat around the bush at all.

Rosé takes out a binder filled with some newspaper clippings and reports of previous articles which revolve around Irene. She carefully observes the expressions that morph from a rather relaxed one into an irritated look, and Rosé suddenly wonders if her suspicions are right this time. There are too many tell-tale signs and an imaginary red flag is starting to be raised above Park Sooyoung’s head.

“Pardon my bluntness, but why are you showing me this woman’s picture?” Sooyoung questions, left eyebrow cocked in a hostile manner and her arms crossed over her chest defensively.

“Well, I’m not going to waste your precious time because I know you’re a busy woman. I do want to know, however, is why you published the damaging article on Irene Bae’s tape.”

The little chuckle that escapes Sooyoung’s mouth seems more like mocking compared to just honesty. “It’s news, isn’t it? I mean, I do run a broadcasting company and news has to travel somehow.”

An assumption is turning to a real likelihood the more Rosé interacts with Sooyoung; the woman is indeed spiteful. Even though her answer might sound logical and extremely sensible, Rosé senses a much bigger emotion being suppressed behind that smile. If anything, her behaviour only confirms that Sooyoung knows what happened all those years ago and no doubt, she will have some animosity towards Irene.

“Did you release the article as revenge?”

“Excuse me?” Sooyoung scoffs, pushing her chair away from the table. She tries not to show how impressed she is with how direct Rosé can be with her questions, but damn, she’s good. “I might be dating Kang Seulgi, yes, and I might also know what happened between them in the past. I am a professional in the workplace though, and that’s the truth.”

Wendy’s knuckles clench into fists at the mere mention of her former friend’s name, nails digging into the fabric of her slacks. She just wants to flee from the meeting room – every single person she’s been meeting ever since they arrived here is another stab to her heart.

There is a really annoyingly insistent voice at the back of Wendy’s head telling her that Sooyoung isn’t one to mince her words, and she believes her. Sure, she might not be telling the truth but a person’s eyes do not lie. Right from the very beginning, Wendy didn’t suspect either of the news agencies involved in the articles thus far anyway. She’s more interested in knowing more about who tipped them off. Both videos that appeared in the articles are all very close, and the device must have been in the same room as the two women when it all went down.

Who else was Irene close to during the time of her affair with Jennie? – That’s the million-dollar question.

“If my girlfriend can’t stand to be in the same place as her, then you best be sure I won’t even bother looking in her direction.”

Just before Sooyoung leaves, she drops a vital piece of information.

“And honestly? I don’t handle any news or pieces that involve Irene, because I don’t have any respect for the woman and I could care less about what happens – my assistants do it.”

 

*

 

“Unnie…”

“I’m coming! Stop running, piggy!”

“Unnie, you’re so slow…”

A little girl in a pretty sundress begins appearing within her view, running towards Jisoo with the biggest smile a toddler can manage. “Unnie… don’t ever leave me, okay?”

 

Jisoo’s eyes fly open immediately, a mixture of tears and sweat droplets making their way down the side of her eyes. This isn’t the first time she’s gotten a flashback in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter