eight

Here We Meet Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why is this even happening… I… I haven’t been able to do anything or even find out more about what happened…”

Rosé has both hands on her head, a massive migraine started to kick in the moment there were reporters swarming the company entrance. She decided not to open the news sites; there were simply too many possibilities of what could have transpired overnight. If it wasn’t for Taeyeon’s messages, neither her nor Wendy would have any idea of what’s brewing on the press’ end. It sounds like a terrible way to look at this old incident, but Irene being in hospital at least protects her from crazed fans on the street. She was ironically safer surrounded by hospital walls and needles, which she was deathly afraid of.

Biting on her nails was a habit that Wendy had long foregone, but this morning’s issue is just pushing her limit again. She didn’t have time or energy to prepare drafts to counter the possible reports, it was just their luck to encounter this.

“Hey…” Wendy quickly moves when she sees Irene’s shoulders begin to shake again; another panic attack should be prevented if possible. She places a firm hand on Irene’s wrist and sits in front of her. “What’s important is we try to figure out who’s the person behind it, okay? The news, the scandals… we will help as much as possible.”

“Yeah, we’ll do our research with your other managers to get more information as well. I know it’s not going to be easy on you because you’ll probably have painful memories unearthed but it’s what we have for now.”

Seeing Irene’s walls start to crumble and falter right in front of her very eyes, Wendy doesn’t even know what else she could possibly do to prevent this from happening. By a simple man’s way of thinking, she should be at ease and even pleasured now that Irene is starting to get her retribution but… her heart unknowingly feels a pinch every time she sees terrible articles. She couldn’t imagine this happening to Rosé, and that says enough. It doesn’t matter what the reason behind releasing revenge is; it’s illegal and punishable by the law. To put a person through that kind of despicable pain, there’s nothing justifiable about it.

Irene clamps down on her lower lip so hard that she feels the skin start to split; the embarrassment is hitting and it’s not doing well for her. She knows neither of the two will judge or worse, make unwarranted comments but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s embarrassing.

“Don’t hold it in. If you need to cry, just cry.”

The cries of a person have never been so difficult to hear; the pure anguish and agony that is written all over Irene’s face.

Rosé almost sheds a tear of her own, something’s extremely disturbing about someone else who could ruin a person’s life and dignity without a hint of hesitation. She might be a lawyer who’s seen and experienced too many things for her age but she has a hunch that this case is deeper than what it looks like.

Everything that had transpired could have been exposed all at once – the videos, the audios… none of it had to be uploaded separately. It hasn’t even reached a week since the first reveal of the tapes; it’s the fourth day and with a very strange reason at that. The only possible purpose behind those heartless actions was that the culprit didn’t want Irene’s scandal to die down. It’s possible that from here on out, more and more tapes or audios will be released periodically to prevent Irene from ever climbing out of this mess. The insanity of it all can’t be explained in simple or few words; the things that they’re going to have to unpack will just keep bubbling over.

“I… I don’t know what to do anymore. I just wanted to act in dramas and movies peacefully… I know I did wrong and embarrassed the company as a singer but I’m trying to be better!”

Wendy’s hand shakily comes up to Irene’s head, willing herself not to do anything out of order. She wants to comfort the actress more than anything right now, but her heart tells her to stop. Something else is brewing in the silence, and Wendy can feel it.

Nevertheless, her gut feeling won’t vanish so easily.

“Irene, you’re not going to go down like this. You’re much stronger than whatever this person is planning, and you can overcome it.” Wendy feels the woman’s body tremble in her arms as she continues to spur her on. She throws it all out of the window, tightening her grip on the actress. “Whatever people are accusing you of or might accuse you of in the future, you admitting it before it all comes to light … may change things.”

It’s not a stupid idea, for starters.

Not every idol or actress has the guts to boldly admit their wrongdoings, whether in front of the camera or not. If this person is hell bent on ruining Irene and her career, then Irene should get in front of this mess before they can start another mess.

“Y-You mean …?”

“Yes. The public might look at you in a different light altogether.”

Irene can feel her head starting to throb all over again; she never considered it an option. She was always taught as a trainee to accept whatever the company decides for her, way before Taeyeon had taken over the CEO position. If the reports published certain articles, it’d be best to let the company representatives put out statements that would have the least damage. Every single thing the company taught her, Irene listened and made sure she followed instructions without questioning their actions. The one time she chose to go against them… was date someone in the same company, who was none other than Seungwan Wendy herself.

Her heart tingles as she recalls how much they trembled in each other’s arms, fearing one day they’d get found out and forcibly separated. Their conversations lasted late into the night; Seungwan consistently assuring her of only good things.

Wendy moves away from the bed when she notices that Irene already stopped shaking as much, not willing to admit the sense of loss she feels all of a sudden. “What’s on your mind?”

“Just… thinking about what you suggested.”

The multiple implications that could occur once Irene revealed everything that she could possibly be held accountable is… ghastly. She could lose (even more) endorsements, her current dramas that are in line, photoshoots, magazines – too much to even consider. After the first video had been leaked, Irene watched as multiple corporations breached their sides of the contracts and preferred to compensate her monetarily instead of using her as the face of the product. It shows the sheer importance of having a good reputation in the industry, whether a person is experienced or not.

“No rush… just remember that we will do our best to contain this, but you’ll ultimately have to face up to it.”

“Thank you, Seung– Wendy.”

“Don’t mention it. It’s my job.” Wendy replies curtly, moving to the table instead. She had documents with her today after all, might as well get some actual work done this time. “I’ll get the nurse to bring your breakfast in a few minutes. Take your medication and then have a good rest.”

Rosé stands against the wall with a rather tickled expression; it might have been stressful when they first found out about the leaked tapes again but this is something else. People say things are always clearer from an outsider’s point of view, and she explicitly agrees with that narrative now. Throughout the years she has known Wendy, she begins to widen her perspective and understands – with someone as alluring as Irene… Wendy has no choice but to keep her distance. Considering their own private little meeting, Rosé also admitted silently to herself that if this was another universe, she would have made a move on Irene.

“I’m going back to the company for a bit; Taeyeon-unnie wants to discuss some things with me.” Rosé says, walking towards the bed with a kind smile. She lowers herself quietly, feeling a gaze on her. “Irene, you have my number, yes? You can text me if she bullies you.”

“EXCUSE ME?”

“You heard me!”

 

Cursing at her best friend under her breath, Wendy tries not to smile when she hears Irene giggling to herself under the blanket. She can’t explain the sudden weakness she feels; it makes her feel a lot more receptive to Irene’s feelings again.

“She’s always on your side these days, not sure why since she’s supposed to be my best friend but whatever.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter