Ice and Water

Rooftop Hit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After his naive grand failure in meeting the representative of a music label and meeting Seunghoon on the rooftop, Seungyoon had spent his days busy composing music and working his part-time job. During the day he was working in a café as barista and waiter, and sometimes during the evening he could play guitar music there. At those times he usually tried to play covers of songs the people would know, but he always slipped in a few of his own songs in between as well. 

The owner of the café was still young himself and treated him very well. When Seungyoon arrived there this morning for his shift he got greeted with a dazzling smile and a “Good morning Seungyoon-ah”. 

“Good morning Jinwoo-hyung!”

He could never get used to the handsome face, the big sparkling eyes and pretty smile. Jinwoo was probably the best-looking man he’d ever met. His striking beauty and bright personality was probably one of the reasons they had many regulars and that the café was doing well. Whenever Seungyoon was working his shift alone or with another part-timer the faces of customers fell a little when they entered and couldn’t see Jinwoo. Seungyoon couldn’t blame them, he’d probably feel like that too. 

“Did you sleep well last night?”

Sometimes Jinwoo was almost like a mum to him, or like his real older brother. Always kind, always concerned about him and his well-being.

“Not really. Too much in my head and it was so cold yesterday.”

“It was seriously cold last night. Did you not turn on the heater?”

“Not much… It’s a waste of money and energy.”

Jinwoo’s face turned into a slightly worried expression.

“I know you’re trying to safe up but be careful Seungyoon-ah. Your health comes first.”

“I know.”

“It’s really cold today too. Promise me you’ll turn on the heater tonight, ok?”

“Ok hyung…”

“Good boy,” Jinwoo chuckled and patted his back. “Now could you please refill the coffee beans?”

“Sure sure,” Seungyoon went to the back room to get more beans.

They had 2 different kinds of coffee beans (one lighter and one stronger taste) plus one seasonal kind. Jinwoo liked to have seasonal drinks and events. The café was doing so well only because of Jinwoo's ideas, management and promotion. He knew the latest trends, knew what people looked for, what they enjoyed or found interesting. It wasn't just his beautiful face that made customers come back so often.

Jinwoo had a very good eye for detail and quality and you could feel that not only in the drinks and snacks they sold but in the whole atmosphere of the café. That’s why most customers also didn’t mind if the drinks were a tiny bit pricier than in some other places.

Jinwoo also tried to change things up enough without destroying the original charm of the place, like with the seasonal drinks, the music nights and other events. Moreover, he gave space to young upcoming artists to exhibit their works in the café. Every month he had new paintings or photographs on the wall, next to small signs with the artists’ names. If the artists wanted, they could also sell them to interested customers. Jinwoo handled the sale without charging any commission. For him it was enough to have a nice display in his cafe.

Jinwoo couldn't draw at all and he didn't know much about art. But he had a good eye for things that were unique. And ears. Because the same thing applied for music.

When Seungyoon made new songs he sometimes let Jinwoo listen to them first and waited for his feedback. If he said the song was good, then it usually was close to being done. If he said something was still missing or needed change then Seungyoon needed to work on it some more. Jinwoo didn't know any of the fancy technical words in the field or how to make music himself. He wasn't interested in singing either, even though Seungyoon had heard him sing drunk at karaoke before and his voice was as beautiful as his face. But Jinwoo's feedback was very valuable, he had a good feeling for what worked and what didn't.

 

A customer entered. Jinwoo greeted him with his usual cheerful voice and took his order.

“One Iced Americano,” Jinwoo said to Seungyoon, who was beside him at the counter and started making the drink.

Iced Americano in that cold weather... why were some people such masochists?

While Seungyoon was working the espresso machine he noticed the customer looking at him. No, staring at him. He was a good-looking guy in his early 30s maybe. Nicely dressed too. So what was his problem?

Customers usually only had eyes for Jinwoo. Seungyoon started feeling uncomfortable, but he finished preparing the drink and handed it to the young man with his usual smile. “One Americano.”

The guy took the drink and went to a table in the corner of the café without saying another word.

Seungyoon followed him with his eyes but the next customers already came in and he went back to the espresso machine, waiting for the next order.

 

*

 

When it got dark outside and the little lights changed the atmosphere in the café, Seungyoon got ready for his regular gig.

He stepped onto the small platform that served as a tiny stage, sat down on the round chair and started adjusting the standing mic.

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays were usually music night in the cafe. On Saturdays Yoon didn't work and played somewhere else, some bars or pubs, often with the band. 

Tonight was a Thursday and there weren't many people. Most customers didn’t come to the cafe for him or his music anyways. Even though it seemed that many appreciated the soft acoustic guitar and his voice, it was more like background music to them and only few people turned their whole attention on him. Seungyoon didn't mind. As long as he could play his music and people enjoyed it and the atmosphere, he didn't mind not having all eyes on him. 

 

"Good evening", he started. "I'm Kang Seungyoon, your singer for tonight and I hope I can make you feel a little warm on this cold evening"

 

He started off with his own rendition of Golden Slumbers, the Beetles song. 

 

"... And I will sing a lullaby.

Once there was a way to get back home~"

 

A handful of people clapped, one person whistled. 

In the corner behind the counter he saw Jinwoo clap his hands euphorically and giving him the most encouraging smile and nod. He looked so proud of Seungyoon. He always did when Seungyoon sang. 

 

"Thank you. The next song is one that I wrote myself. It's called 'Color Ring'“

 

*

 

Seungyoon put away the chair and the microphone, putting them back into the backroom. Jinwoo was doing the last bits of accountings for the day. 

"Great show tonight, as always" he said to Seungyoon with a warm smile. 

"Thanks hyung"

He had played his 90 minute long setlist, customers had come and gone, a few had clapped, one had even bought his CD that he usually put on display while he was performing. Jinwoo's idea. 

He sold about one CD per week. Not really something he could live off. In fact, he didn't make any profit with it, the production of the CDs had cost so much already, despite not being the best quality. Being self-produced was hard.

 

Seungyoon finished wiping the last tables. 

"Alright, let's close up and go home" Jinwoo said with a cheerful voice. This hyung seemed to never get tired. 

"My apartment is currently so crowded. My sister arrived yesterday and she is staying for a few days to attend job interviews. She isn't the cleanliest person but at least she takes care of Rey and Bei." 

His cats. Jinwoo loved his cats very much. On some days he would leave early to feed his cats while Seungyoon closed up the café alone. 

"Do you need a lift home?"

"No it's fine thanks. The buses are still running, it's not that late yet," Seungyoon replied.

“Are you sure?“

“Yes.“

“Ok, then I’ll see you tomorrow. I might take my sister to her interview so if I’m not in the cafe in the morning you can just open the shop by yourself.“

“Ok hyung, no problem.“

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter