Uneasiness

Rooftop Hit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, the alarm started beeping loudly as always. Seunghoon groaned. He didn't want to open his eyes. It felt like he was waking up from a bad dream but he couldn't remember what. The picture of a man on the edge of a rooftop came to his mind. Seunghoon hissed and jumped out of bed. He took a shower and made himself some coffee and breakfast.

He usually got up early. Rushing and being stressed wasn't his way of doing things, he liked to take his time, eat his breakfast in peace, maybe even read a little bit in the newspaper. 

On the way to his workplace the image of a sad-looking pouty young man came up again. He wondered if Seungyoon was fine. He didn't have his number so there was no way he could call and check on him. But maybe it was better this way. After all they were still strangers. And he had given the boy his contact. No call probably meant all was well. Or so Seunghoon tried to convince himself.

However, by the end of the day he was still strangely uneasy and anxious for no reason.

Maybe he’d overworked himself lately. It had been a long time since he had taken a proper holiday. He wasn’t a workaholic and he tried to separate his private and professional life as much as he could. He never even checked his company email account on the weekend and people knew he took his private time serious. But he’d had one project after another lately. He didn’t even go out as much as he used to anymore. Maybe he was getting old after all.

Seunghoon decided he needed to do something tonight. He needed a drink. And he knew exactly who to call for company.

 

*

 

The bar was not too big nor too fancy. On the weekends it could get quite crowded here but since it was a weekday only a handful of people were sitting at the tables and counter.

Seunghoon sat down at a table in the corner and ordered a martini, which was quickly served to him. He took a few sips and let his mind wander while waiting.

"Hey what's up." A young man in a flashy outfit and short brown hair that had yellow patches suddenly appeared and sat down on the seat opposite of him. "You look like "

"Thanks Mino. You always know how to cheer me up." 

He and Mino had been friends since college. Despite them having different majors and Seunghoon being a year older they had taken a few classes together.  Seunghoon couldn’t even remember anymore how they’d become friends but they had spent a lot of time together, constantly being up to mischief. They probably knew more about each other than either were comfortable with and they both knew they would catch a bullet for the other, though neither of them would ever in their lives admit it. ‘Best friend’ is what some people called it. ‘Annoying friend’ is what they called it.

Mino got the waiter’s attention and ordered a whiskey on the rocks.

"Sorry hyung, but you know I don't sugarcoat things. And seeing you drink alone is rare. You stressed with work or what? Maybe you should get laid. When was the last time you got some?"

Seunghoon skilfully ignored the last part. "Let’s just say it was a very long day yesterday."

"Huh", Mino just grunted. He knew better than to press his hyung for the details so he simply asked, "Wanna talk about it?"

Seunghoon hesitated.

He wasn’t sure if it was his place to talk about it. But the encounter from yesterday was still bugging him, so he needed to discuss it with some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter