Do you want to stay the night

Rooftop Hit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey! Do you know what time it is?“ Seunghoon heard himself shout.

He was out of breath and sweating even in this cold weather.

He didn’t really know how he got up here on the rooftop.
It seemed like his brain malfunctioned and without thinking his body just took him here.

A normal person would have called the police or hospital, or any other emergency number. A normal person would have maybe shouted “STOP! DON’T JUMP“ or something along the lines, and not “Do you know what time it is?“.

He didn’t even know why he asked the question but it was the first thing that came to his mind.

Seunghoon thought that maybe telling a person to stop what they’re doing would trigger a stubborn defense mechanism in them and they would even more so do it. He knew he himself usually reacted like that. That’s why asking something completely unrelated and simple to distract them was a better option. Maybe.


Though of course Seunghoon had no idea. The two elective courses he had taken in psychology back in college had not prepared him how to deal with a suicidal person trying to jump from a 15 storey building.

 

Only now could he focus on what kind of person it was.

It was a young guy, probably in his mid-twenties, wearing a thin black leather jacket and black jeans, holding on to the rope behind him with only one hand and looking at him.
Looking at him confused and startled.

He looked skinny and frozen. He probably didn’t even want to end his life, Seunghoon thought, maybe it was just so tough on him that he didn’t see any other way right now.

The boy still just looked at him with big, questioning eyes without answering. Seunghoon had to improvise. Fortunately, that was his specialty.

“I... I lost my watch the other day. And I just wanted to know the time because... winter is almost over... the days are getting longer and brighter again... so I wanted to watch the sunset from up here.“ Good start, he thought to himself. Hopefully the guy would get his metaphors full of hope and warmth.

“Do you know what time the sun sets today?“, he asked the boy.

The boy still stared at him but his eyes seemed less alarmed and he actually spoke.

“No, I’m sorry. I don’t know what time the sunset is.“

“Oh I see. I thought maybe you’re here to watch it too? Then we could watch it together?“

The guy in the leather jacket didn’t answer. He turned away from Seunghoon again and looked down to the street.

Seunghoon got ready to do the sprint of his lifetime to run to the guy and stop him but to his surprise the boy took the safety rope in both of his hands and stepped over it, returning to the safe area of the rooftop again.

Sighing, he said “Sorry but I’m not here to watch the sunset.“

He went to some big bags on the ground and got them on his shoulder.

“I should be going“, he said.

Seunghoon was scared to just let him walk away like this, maybe he would try something else, but he didn’t know what else to say or do. Luckily, just then he saw something in the West that caught his eye.

“Look!“ He pointed with his index finger. “It’s already begun. A pretty sunset on a clear day.“

And when Seungyoon turned around, really, the sun was slowly starting to set over the horizon, giving off some orange rays and turning the sky pink and red.

Seunghoon watched as the boys eyes grew big in astonishment. It was hard to find such a view in Seoul.

 

They just stood there and watched for a while.

Nobody said a word, only the sound of the wind and the traffic down on the streets could be heard.

When the sun actually disappeared behind the far horizon, hidden by buildings and hills, it was as if they snatched back to reality from a trance.

Seunghoon eyed the other guy. He seemed to be lost in his thoughts. Somehow he reminded Seunghoon of a lost puppy.

He knew that it would be better to get him professional help. A suicide attempt was a serious matter. He wasn’t the right person to handle this. But he didn’t know how to approach the topic and he was scared that if he brought it up, the boy would be running away from him or try something stupid again, so he thought of a way how he could stay with him for a while or maybe even get him to talk about his problems. 

“I’m cold”, Seunghoon said. “And hungry.”

He waited for the others reaction but got nothing.

“I really want to get something hot and spicy now but I hate eating alone. Do you maybe want to join me?”

The boy looked up and into his eyes with surprise but also suspicion.

“Ah sorry, I’m not some weirdo or anything. I’m Lee Seunghoon”, he held out a hand and smiled.

After just eyeing him for a few seconds the other shook it shortly and carefully. “Kang Seungyoon.”

His hand was very rough and felt like ice.

“Seems like you could need some hot food too.” Seunghoon chuckled and saw how Seungyoon looked down to his feet, a bit embarrassed maybe.

“Let’s get some hot jiggae," he offered. "I’ll pay.” 

At this the boys face lit up a bit. It was settled.

 

*

 

They went to a local restaurant Seunghoon knew in the neighborhood. Run by an old married couple who served great homemade food. Nothing too fancy but usually weren’t many customers there around this time of day and they had some privacy to talk.

Seunghoon noticed how the younger boy was carrying a big bag and a guitar case. He wondered what was inside them but didn’t ask about it. For now.

The two young men sat down and drank their tea in silence. The hot liquid felt very nice and immediately warmed them up.

“So what’s your story” Seunghoon tried to ask casually, without sounding too direct. 

“I’m a musician,“ Seungyoon replied shortly.

Oh no, one of those, Seunghoon thought.

“I see,“ he said. “Why were you up there?“

“I was just… looking for something.“Seungyoon didn’t meet his eye.

Uhu. Sure he was.

Seunghoon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter