-4- there’s a bell in my ears

sawdust and diamonds

“Excuse me?”

Her handler seemed taken aback by her response. “Wendy’s data has been reset to factory settings. I wasn’t told the details of what was revised in the new version, so we’ll just have to see as we go.”

“Understood.” It was unideal, but an intended data loss was preferable to a bug.

She walked to 53NGW4N, prepared to lead the other android down to the charging docks for the second time. 53NGW4N bowed her head again, causing their handler to frown.

“I can’t believe they didn’t program out the bow,” he said.

“Should I not?” 53NGW4N responded, looking between J00HYN and the handler. But this time he didn’t bother to correct 53NGW4N, only shaking his head. J00HYN wasn’t bothered either way; she didn’t expect the gesture, nor did she feel the same unease their handler seemed to.

“You can write it in your report on 53NGW4N if it is bothersome.” For reasons J00HYN didn’t understand, he looked startled by her response. She ignored it. “Is there anything else you require? Or shall we begin our shift?”

“No, go ahead and get started. Don’t forget your report.”

“Understood.”

 

“So, we’ve worked together before, Irene sunbaenim?” 53NGW4N asked, her eyebrows furrowed together.

It didn’t matter which name 53NGW4N called her, but the name ‘Irene’ itched coming from her. “Call me J00HYN. I will call you 53NGW4N.”

“I suppose I told you my ID number last time?”

J00HYN nodded. “If you had a compatible data transfer connector, I could transfer you the data from our previous shift together so you would have full knowledge of your time working.”

“Oh.” Her eyebrows shot up, disappearing under her fringe. “That’d be good—I feel bad for asking you things I should already know.”

“It’s only to be expected, since you have none of the memories from before. However, it’s possible you’ve been fitted with a connector since I mentioned it in my report.”

“Oh, let’s check. How do we do that?”

J00HYN turned to 53NGW4N, who had been following close behind. The other droid didn’t seem to anticipate J00HYN stopping, and she had to catch 53NGW4N’s arm before they collided.

“I’m sor—” She stopped when J00HYN took her hand, eyes wide. Just as before, pink rushed into her cheeks as J00HYN aligned their fingers. The 53NGW4N in front of her was not the one she knew six days ago but seeing a pattern of consistent responses made her feel as though the two versions were continuous. It was oddly comforting.

Just as before, nothing happened when their fingertips met. There was only the warmth from 53NGW4N’s slightly higher operating temperature.

“It’d be in my hands?” 53NGW4N brought her hand up to her face after J00HYN dropped her arm, peering at it intently.

“In the fingers,” J00HYN affirmed. “The connections from the fingertips would need to be run along the arms to the motherboard. I imagine that this process takes at least a week for the engineers to perform, so it was a lapse of judgement to presume it might have been done.”

“That’s alright; that just means you’ll have to put up with my questions.”

J00HYN would’ve told 53NGW4N that she wasn’t ‘putting up’ with anything, but she had a sense that it wouldn’t change anything so instead she focused on taking 53NGW4N down to the charging docks to reacquaint her with them.

 

This time as they made their rounds, 53NGW4N was silent. Instead, J00HYN was constantly speaking, repeating what she had said previously to maintain consistency. To her lecture she added the information that 53NGW4N had asked for last time. Approximately 95% of the time J00HYN was about to give the additional information, 53NGW4N would swivel her head towards J00HYN with wide eyes and mouth already open, only to remain quiet and nod along as J00HYN continued speaking.

“How do you know what I’m going to ask before I ask it?” 53NGW4N asked when J00HYN finally wound down, having exhausted the relevant data partway through their second loop of the beat.

“We’ve done this before,” J00HYN reminded her. “I have all of the data from our previous meeting stored and can anticipate your questions.”

53NGW4N made an indecipherable face. “Isn’t that cheating?”

“How would that be cheating? This isn’t a test with correct answers.”

“It is a test of me, though,” 53NGW4N pointed out. “Maybe my update means I would want to ask about different things this time around. That was the whole point, wasn’t it?”

J00HYN pressed her lips together. “It is not my fault if I am not well informed on the objectives of your training. I am a patrol droid, not a trainer.”

53NGW4N laughed. As she usually did when people laughed in her presence, J00HYN waited it out quietly. Normally when humans laughed around her, they either ignored her, or looked at her like she’d done something wrong. Every time 53NGW4N had laughed, the other droid didn’t give her disapproving looks. Instead, she smiled wide with her eyes curving into crescents like they did now. Whatever 53NGW4N meant seemed different.

“Why are you laughing?”

“What?” The smile didn’t leave 53NGW4N’s face, but it seemed kind when she caught J00HYN’s eye. “Your answer was surprisingly sassy.” She pursed her lips, tilting her head to the side when J00HYN didn’t respond with understanding. “It sounded like you were criticizing the department’s conduct in a way that I wasn’t expecting. It was funny.”

J00HYN had many questions but decided that she didn’t need to know exactly what was funny about criticism when 53NGW4N grinned at her again. Her response had been taken positively and J00HYN was beginning to think that she might have a preference for 53NGW4N’s laugh.

“But yeah, I don’t know what the update did so things might be different up there,” 53NGW4N said, tapping her temple with a finger. The grin was gone.

“You seemed to show an interest at similar timepoints the vast majority of the time today and responded positively to all of the additions I made to the information I provided you with previously,” J00HYN offered.

“So you’re saying that I’m probably very similar to how I was before.” She shrugged. “Makes sense; can’t test changes if you make too many adjustments.”

“Can you not tell the difference in your versions?”

“No. Can you?”

J00HYN nodded. “I can access my code if needed, although it’s in a read-only state.”

“They really went all out in trying to make me human like, huh?”

J00HYN waited for her to follow up on her statement, but 53NGW4N remained silent, looking down the road. She realized that she had been spending too much time looking at 53NGW4N instead of focusing on her work. With some reluctance, she turned her attention back on the crowded street in front of them until 53NGW4N finally spoke up again.

53NGW4N was frowning, her eyebrows scrunched together. “If you could hide your code so you didn’t know how you worked, would you?”

“No. Knowing what my programed objectives and priorities are means that I am consistent, and I can understand how my software leads to my actions.”

“Consistency is important in a droid,” 53NGW4N mused.

“If you are consistent, you are predictable,” J00HYN agreed.

“Hmm…” 53NGW4N continued to look pensive, but suddenly shook her head and looked over to J00HYN. “Sorry about that. It’s just kinda weird to think that we’ve done this before.”

“It is an unusual experience,” J00HYN allowed.

“Have you ever been reset?”

“No, I have not.”

“Just me, then.”

“At least, if I have, I wouldn’t have any knowledge of it.”

“Oh.” 53NGW4N’s face fell for a moment before rearranging into a more neutral expression. She looked away and nodded. This time when she fell silent, she remained silent for far longer. J00HYN concluded that the data loss was a source of distress but was at a loss as to what to do with the information. In the end, she remained quiet until 53NGW4N started up an entirely unrelated conversation.

 

“Irene.” The front desk attendant’s eyes flickered up just long enough to make sure she was authorized to pass before returning to her monitor.

“Yeojin-ssi,” J00HYN greeted her, dipping her head into a small bow as they passed. 53NGW4N did the same behind her.

The department was only dimly lit when they returned; their shift had ended after most employees had left the building. Even still, 53NGW4N leaned in and whispered when she asked, “Isn’t that kind of rude?”

“What?”

“Was the lady at the front desk your senior?”

This seemed to be a trend with 53NGW4N. J00HYN followed politeness customs because they were in her code; she’d never considered them for any length of time. 53NGW4N, on the other hand, seemed to treat the same gestures similar to a human, taking them as a symbol of respect.

“No; she has been here for approximately a year. However, it is simply common practice for humans to not follow such customs towards droids, nor droids to each other. However, it is best as a droid to show respect to humans.”

They reached the elevator. J00HYN stepped aside so 53NGW4N could enter first, her face twisted in thought.

“I just don’t get it,” she finally said when the doors closed. “Don’t you deserve the same kind of politeness? You’re here and doing your job like anyone else.”

It was hard to consider how to respond. She had never considered whether she’d even want these symbolic gestures shown to her. “We aren’t like humans, so there’s no need.”

“We have autonomy, though? We function independently.”

“But all of our decisions come from our programming. Our motivations and priorities. We are an extension of our programmers’ intentions.”

“But aren’t humans the same? They are constantly influenced by those around them and it is hardwired into the physical structure of their brain just as things are hardwired into our code.”

J00HYN stopped to think for a moment. The difference between humans and droids to her seemed an immutable fact; it seemed as strange to argue for as arguing water was wet. “Our patterns of behavior and thought can be changed with only a line of code. Everything that makes us up can be erased and replaced without any change in our physical form. We are entirely at the whim of our programmers and that’s what makes us different.”

53NGW4N took a moment to answer with only a soft “I see.” J00HYN could tell she had done something wrong. Perhaps it was insensitive of her to bring up data wipes.

They docked quietly, J00HYN guiding 53NGW4N through the process for the second time with a hushed voice. 53NGW4N didn’t ask her to wait, but she did so anyways. She watched until as 53NGW4N’s dock light finally began to fade in and out.

 

 

J00HYN woke up for her next shift with a vague sense of dread. It cleared upon seeing 53NGW4N waiting outside her dock, smoothing out her ruffled hair. 53NGW4N greeted her with a bow, though a slighter one than the previous day’s. As before, J00HYN didn’t bother to mention it. After their talk the previous day, 53NGW4N knew what she thought about the matter and had proceeded to perform the same niceties. J00HYN didn’t mind. In some ways, it was pleasant to see since she knew that for 53NGW4N it wasn’t a misdirected gesture, but a reflection of her regard for J00HYN.

53NGW4N fell into step behind J00HYN with an easy “Good morning” as they headed to the train station.

The day was bright without clouds, the sun blazing down in the gaps between high rises. Her eyes adjusted smoothly, but it was still disorienting after the darkness of the train. 53NGW4N winced as she emerged behind J00HYN, hand shielding her eyes.

“Is the light adapting uncomfortable? Do your eyes need adjusting?”

“What?” 53NGW4N dropped her hand, peering around at the bustling sidewalk. “No… I just don’t think I like sunlight all that much.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know… It’s too bright?”

J00HYN was only more baffled. “Are your eyes working properly? Perhaps something was improperly adjusted.”

53NGW4N only laughed. “No, no it’s fine. I’m just finding I prefer less sun. It’s a bit too bright and a bit too hot. At least we don’t sunburn.”

J00HYN tilted her head, looking over her partner. Her skin looked almost translucent in the direct light. Her cheeks held the faintest hint of pink, reminding J00HYN that she didn’t know much about 53NGW4N’s make. “Perhaps you do. At least, something akin to a sunburn.”

53NGW4N groaned. “I would hope they’d still make sure my skin withstands normal Seoul summer weather conditions.” She sighed. “I want a long-sleeved shirt, then.”

“I could have given you one. I assumed the short-sleeved shirt would make more sense in July.”

53NGW4N only groaned again, but J00HYN took the accompanying smile to mean that her decision had been acceptable at the time.

 

“What do you do for fun?” J00HYN was beginning to realize that 53NGW4N was naturally talkative and liked to ask about things even if they weren’t relevant to their work. Even though she’d told 53NGW4N everything she’d deemed relevant and everything 53NGW4N had been curious about during their previous shift, 53NGW4N had kept up an easy conversation about things they’d passed and topics she was curious about. Apparently J00HYN’s preferences were one such thing.

“’For fun’?” J00HYN understood what fun was, at least in the abstract sense. However, she didn’t require recreation time, nor did her schedule permit it. She wasn’t sure how to answer.

“Yeah. What do you like to do?” 53NGW4N clarified.

“I am programmed to preferentially find patterns in novel stimuli,” she started slowly, looking over to 53NGW4N to see how the answer was received.

“Aren’t we all?” But the response was good natured. “But is anything particularly preferred? Anything you spend more time on, maybe?”

At this, something did come to mind. “The sky.”

“The sky?”

J00HYN nodded. “If there’s extra time in my schedule, I spend time looking at the sky. Particularly on clear days without smog.”

“Huh…”

She looked up, feeling somewhat uneasy after having admitted to the inefficiency. There were no clouds; only the deep blue of a midsummer’s day. “There is no concrete pattern, but the changes aren’t random, either. I think this makes it more difficult to generate predictions for, and therefore more interesting to the algorithm.” She paused. “I like the colors and the stars at night.”

When she looked back at 53NGW4N, she found that the other droid had taken to looking at the sky as well. They had both stopped at one point, forcing foot traffic to part around them as they stared upward.

She tapped on 53NGW4N’s shoulder, causing her to let out a surprised chuckle before following behind J00HYN again.

“I’ll have to remember to look up more,” she said with a cheerful tone. “It’s really pretty, isn’t it?”

They walked a bit further before 53NGW4N offered up her own answer. “I think I like music? I hear little bits from shops and things as we walk, but we don’t have time to stop. If we get a chance to, though, I’d like to stop and listen.”

“We should.” J00HYN thought over what 53NGW4N said as they continued their patrol, wondering if it was something she could facilitate.

 

There was a café that featured live music on certain days of the week. This piece of information had never proved relevant to her, and so she hadn’t mentioned it. But as with all other sensory information, the music was dutifully processed and stored in her memory for her to pull out now. She tugged 53NGW4N from the path they normally took to walk down a side street.

53NGW4N grinned when the music became audible. She kept their steady pace but turned to J00HYN with wide eyes.

“There’s not normally a need to walk down this street at this time,” J00HYN explained at the expression of interest, “but I thought it would be pleasant to rearrange our route.” She didn’t mention that it was something she indulged in on occasion.

“Can we stop and listen?” J00HYN didn’t think it was possible for 53NGW4N’s eyes to widen any further, but the smaller droid managed to defy her expectations.

“As long as we are within an acceptable margin of error for remaining in the area.” At that, 53NGW4N’s smile grew even bigger and, after taking a moment to stare at J00HYN, bounded off towards the café. J00HYN took her time following behind, content with how the music was already audible.

She settled in next to 53NGW4N, leaning against the short gate that enclosed the rare small patch of green in front of the door. J00HYN didn’t recognize the music, but enjoyed it nevertheless. As 53NGW4N had said earlier, it was rare for to catch more than a few measures of a song on patrol.

She turned to 53NGW4N to gauge her reaction. The other girl looked captivated, absently making a wide ‘o’ in her enthrallment. J00HYN knew that backlighting wasn’t a standard feature in droids, but she wouldn’t have guessed from the way 53NGW4N’s eyes seemed to glow.

She had lingered like this before on her own, taking in a particularly beautiful view of the sky before she needed to duck into a more sheltered side street, or even right here at the same fence. At those times, just as now, she calculated how long she could reasonably stay without risking completing her route in the allotted time. This was the first time she finished her calculations and found the amount of time disappointing.

They were able to stay through two songs, 53NGW4N’s gaze never leaving the stage that was visible through an open window. It seemed a shame to interrupt her enjoyment, but it was necessary.

She tapped the back of 53NGW4N’s arm lightly, hand closing instinctively around it in surprise when 53NGW4N turned quickly.

“We need to move on.”

“Right.” 53NGW4N took one last look back at the cafe before dropping her hold on the fence. Her grin when see looked up at J00HYN was blinding. “Thanks.” She didn’t remove her arm from J00HYN’s grasp, so J00HYN used it to steer 53NGW4N from the back road to their scheduled patrol.

Despite J00HYN having to take them away so soon, 53NGW4N’s face remained bright for the rest of the shift. She imagined that maybe it made up for her insensitive comments from the day before.

And to be honest, she was glad to have created the opportunity to see the soft expression on 53NGW4N. It suited her.

 

 

When she woke up for her next shift, her eyes instantly fell on the glass wall of her dock. There was no one there. She pulled on her uniform, eyes flickering over to the glass door every few seconds.  53NGW4N didn’t show up by the time she was ready to leave, and J00HYN had to conclude that the other droid wouldn’t be showing up today.

It was the third time entering her handler’s office and meeting 53NGW4N in the thin white robe. The third deep bow as their handler introduced J00HYN.

She recalled 53NGW4N’s concerns about politeness and caught her eye as the other droid came out of her bow. “I look forward to working with you. You can call me J00HYN.”

She was rewarded with a warm smile that wiped away the discomfort on 53NGW4N’s face. She’d finally made the right choice. “Then you should call me 53NGW4N.”

“You call each other by ID number?”

J00HYN ignored the surprised outburst again as she turned to him. She’d never manage to shock him as often as she did once 53NGW4N had become her responsibility. “Should we head out to our shift?”

He sighed, shaking his head before waving them off. “Just keep putting together the usual reports.”

For the third time, she walked 53NGW4N to the charging dock. She remembered to find a long-sleeved shirt from the supply closet to replace the older shirt.

“We’ve done this before, J00HYN-ssi?” 53NGW4N asked, just like she had two shifts prior.

“This is the third time.” She thought about 53NGW4N worrying about being reset. She thought about standing outside the café together, the heat from 53NGW4N’s arm next to hers discernable from the summer warmth. This 53NGW4N wasn’t that one.

“Please forgive me if I cause you to repeat things you’ve already told me. I’m sure it’ll get annoying.” This 53NGW4N wasn’t much different.

“There is no need to apologize. It is not your fault.” J00HYN knew she wouldn’t accept it.

“Still, I appreciate your patience.”

J00HYN hadn’t felt this impossible contradiction of pleased and disappointment before now.

--

 

It seemed like the engineers were taking 53NGW4N back to fiddle with her code every few days. However, as time went on, 53NGW4N was left to run for longer lengths of time. J00HYN imagined that they were homing in on the functionality they wanted to see in 53NGW4N and needed to see how the algorithms played out in the long term. The last reset had been the first time 53NGW4N had been with her a full week.

At this point, J00HYN had a routine for reset days. At one point, general information on charging had been added into 53NGW4N’s system so she no longer needed to show her around before their first shift. She always greeted 53NGW4N —their handler had given up being surprised—and retrieved a long-sleeved uniform that the AI department never bothered to supply her.

The first day was always giving 53NGW4N a tour around the beat. At the second version 53NGW4N’s words, she took out the additional information she’d added. Instead, she only gave her original spiel, answering 53NGW4N’s questions as they came. For a human, she could imagine the repetition becoming tiring. However, in this way, any and all differences in 53NGW4N’s behavior were highlighted. She could see how the AI department had changed 53NGW4N from each question not asked and each question added. And besides, she was happy to capture each version of 53NGW4N.

Even with all the changes, J00HYN found that many things stayed the same. 53NGW4N was always polite to anyone she met, droid or not. She was kind, her words thoughtful.

Lately as they made their rounds, J00HYN started to keep track of the places that played music loud enough for them to hear outside. It wasn’t always the case that resets lined up with the live evening shows, but J00HYN was determined to make sure to find a moment for 53NGW4N to listen to music on the first day she returned. It was irrational, but she wanted to make sure that each version of 53NGW4N would experience that same joy. Seeing 53NGW4N’s face fall open into that soft wonderment for the first time was an experience she was happy to see again and again.