First Unraveling

120 More Years Beyond Boundaries

The smile loosened. She stared into the mischievous glint in the thick man’s eyes. Something she didn’t like. Shivers raced up her spine.

A prickly goatee ran from either side of his face meeting at the drop of his chin. Making him of old adage. The man wasn’t thin nor was he fat. He had the coarse face of a guy who’d experienced one too many scuffles. A scar ran straight through his left eyebrow. Or maybe he’d just worked too hard in the fields burning under the sun, because he was also far from pale. His skin was sun streaked in a bronze hue. If he was a guest at the bathhouse she didn’t know.

His presence made her stand on alert.

“Who are…” she started. The door behind him swung open and Chanyeol stopped dead in his tracks. Eyeing the man. Her.

Gleefully laughing, the man rubbed his belly. “Must have come into the wrong bath.”

The intruder turned to grin at Chanyeol before making an exit. Namjoo stared after him, baffled. Then looked at Chanyeol.

Standing, she explained, “I was just getting the water ready. It’s still warming up.”

He merely stared at her quietly. Leaving her in an awkward position. At least be nice, she thought. Give some kind of comment or thank her.

But…nothing.

“Then…I’ll leave.” Namjoo shuffled by and turned around to see the door close. “Geez, what’s with him?”

After being kind of nice to her earlier what was with the sudden cold shoulder now?

Kicking at the dirt ground, Namjoo walked off. Not quite making sense of what was going on honestly. Upset with Chanyeol for being this way with her when she’d tried doing something for him.

Namjoo kicked at the ground harder. Pouting. Spotting a glimmer of something ahead she continued forward. Coming to a stop when she saw the pond. Curious how they’d made such a thing here.

Crouching down she hugged her knees. Observing the reflection of the darkening sky on the water’s surface.

“So, you woke up.” A voice appeared beside her.

Namjoo turned almost bumping into the man crouching next to her. Recognizing Chanyeol’s second in command. Kim Minseok.

Not in the mood for banter Namjoo turned away. Refocusing on the pond, but instead of her lone reflection she also saw his. It irritated her.

“Me,” he pointed to himself, “it was me, who brought you back, you know?”

Narrowing an eye upon the discovery Namjoo slightly turned but not all the way.

“You’re really a strange one.” He commented. “A young lady shouldn’t be sick or try to leave home. If you don’t learn to have patience how will you ever find a good husband?”

“Shut up,” Namjoo snapped. “Leave me alone.”

Getting up she stomped off.

Slamming the door to her room she pressed a hand to her closed eyes. Confused. Feeling distorted. This dusty cloud of emotions tightening in her chest was suffocating her.

She missed Chanyeol. She was angry with him. She didn’t know what was going on. Where she was. Where her home was. What she’d been brought to. How to return. Where was her car? Where was her dad? Where was her loving boyfriend?

Why was this happening?

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

He didn’t inquire where the usual gal was. After setting down the tray of his dinner the servant offered a polite nod before leaving the room.

Grabbing the wooden spoon Chanyeol stirred the contents of the soup without tasting it. Wondering what he’d said earlier that had sent that woman running off twice.

She was peculiar and also, something about her was strange. This feeling he couldn’t quite untangle in his chest.

It was weird.

The opening of the door caught his attention. Arms crossed, Minseok leaned against the threshold with a leg angled over the other.

“Food not good? Should I make a complaint for you?” he asked.

“It’s fine.” Chanyeol tucked the spoon into his mouth, chewed.

Most of the time the man wasn’t serious. Playful Minseok was hardly capable of keeping a straight face on.

“You see the bath girl?” Minseok wondered. “She’s a weird one.”

“I didn’t.”

Though earlier he had seen Minseok pacing past his room egged with curiosity when the woman had run off again. Their eyes had momentarily passed before the friend went after her. At a gentler pace Chanyeol had stepped out of his room. Unsure where exactly they had gone, but following the noise of commotion he caught the sight of Minseok carrying an unconscious woman into the lodge.

“I heard Madam Cho was paid to take her in,” Minseok explained picking at a nail. “As for where she’s from no one really knows, but she’s treated hands on foot like a princess. Maybe she’s rich? You don’t think she’s the daughter of a high-ranking scholar?”

Minseok rubbed his chin in thought.

“I’m leaving at the first strike of light tomorrow,” Chanyeol evaded the topic. “The letter will be arriving tomorrow. You should pack and we leave when I return.”

“So soon huh?” Minseok dropped his arms to his sides. Then he teased, “Lady Chunghee must be so anxious.”

Chanyeol shot him a stare.

Raising his brows in understanding that fun time was over, Minseok pivoted on a heel to leave. Glancing over his shoulder, “Your bathhouse girl must be relieved we’re departing so soon.”

The door shut enclosing him in the space with the glowing lantern. Chanyeol pushed aside the table and flopped down onto his back. Recalling the moment they’d ridden up to the bathhouse after days in the scorching sun drenched in their own grime and sweat. Haven’t bathed for days or eaten warm food.

Such a relief it was to have chanced upon this resting spot. He remembered the way the bathhouse girl threw her arm at him screaming insanely like they knew each other. He’d never seen her before. This was his first time ever meeting her.

Then why did she treat him like he wasn’t just a stranger?

She was really out of the ordinary.

Chanyeol drifted to sleep and awoke at the light of dawn. The sky was streaked in a pretty splash of dusky green and a glow of purple and pink. Hinting the sun was on its way. A breadth of warm air brushed past as he slipped into his shoes and went on his way.

The kitchen ladies were already up and moving around in the kitchen. Pots and pans were clattering. Voices hushed murmurs. Chanyeol continued his way down the corridor without bothering their work. Passing closed doors and empty rooms.

The front doors were closed at this time. The bathhouse not yet open for business. Pushing the heavy wooden block open Chanyeol stepped out into a busy world. Vendors and travelers bustling about. Heading right and left down the market road.

Joining the thriving activity Chanyeol curiously glanced at items on display. There was a woman offering to stitch clothes. A man sharpening blades to knives and hunting spears. Wolf, bear, and tiger hide hung from poles. Dialects spoken around him. A mix of languages and voices merging and climbing over each other.

Chanyeol breezed by until the noise quieted behind him. The road narrowed and became more barren. He passed quiet homes with straw roofs. Mothers and young girls starting breakfast. Smoke from fires ready for cooking flittered upwards and through open doors. Children just being weened stood by the doorway staring at him.

Then the road opened at the end and he took a left. Walking into the grander side of town where homes hid behind plaster and rock walls. It didn’t take long for him to come across the retired scholar’s home. A man who remained in touch with government officials and would receive the letter from the delivery boy, if he had arrived on schedule.

Knocking on the two-paneled door Chanyeol waited. A door greeter led him inside. Indeed, the delivery boy had dropped off the letter for him in the early hours of dusk just before his arrival. Tucking the letter securely inside his shirt Chanyeol returned the way he came. Back to the bathhouse.

He would have a warm meal before departing from the city with his men.

Chaos was brewing by the time he reached. A crowd had formed in front of the bathhouse. Curious bystanders blocking his way in. Chanyeol literally squeezed his way through to discover havoc inside.

A tray of food lay on the floor in the center of the hall. All the bowls tipped sideways. The tea jar cracked and broken. The leg of a chair stuck out of an open doorway. The table inside overturned. The bed sheets in disorder. A pillow lay on the ground. The various items on the vanity were either tipped over or scrambled out of place as if some fight had occurred.

All the uniformed servants were gathered round anxiously. None at work. Many of them with their hands curled by their mouths, as if straining to hold back unnecessary screams. Everyone nervous. Murmuring things, “What are we going to do?” “How did this happen?” “The Young Miss!”

“What’s going on?” Chanyeol asked, puzzled. Turning upon the sound of pounding footsteps. Seeing Minseok running down the hall.

“They’ve gone into the woods.” Minseok breathed.

“What?” he frowned, confused.

“He took her into the woods,” Minseok repeated. “He has a knife. I couldn’t stop him.”

“Who…” Chanyeol was cut off when one of the servant girls started crying. Returning attention to Minseok he didn’t waste a second. Pushing the man aside as he darted down the hall into the courtyard.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

The stench of something unlikely disturbed Namjoo from sleep. Though she’d dreamt of nothing she was partially aware she had been out like the lights. Only something was disrupting her rest.

Namjoo turned her head to the right. tiredly. Clicking her tongue when she started feeling warmth of something strange. It was above her face and wouldn’t go away. Annoyed she opened her eyes.

Immediately feeling the brush of a prickly item across her cheek. Then the beady eyes. Her senses shot awake when the strange man suddenly grinned. Revealing a chipped tooth and breath that could kill a fly.

With a yelp Namjoo shot up. Hastily scooting far away. Pulling the blanket over her body. Wide-eyed when she saw the man at the edge of her bed who must have been leaning over her for who knows how long. She shuddered.

“Wh…what are you doing in here?” Her pulse raced. This was not a good sign. Not at all.

This man had danger written all over him, especially if he had snuck into her room when she was unaware. Had he waited in the dead of the night for her? What did he want? She didn’t have cash or credit cards to offer him.

“Pretty woman,” he laughed below his breath. “I been seeing you since yesterday.”

“You shouldn’t be in here.” Namjoo told remaining cool beneath oncoming panic. His eyes weren’t crossed or unfocused. Good, he wasn’t drunk or a druggie. Yet the more conscious a person was the more dangerous they could also be.

That was bad.

“Well I want to!” Reaching into his side he pulled out some kind of blade.

“Whoa…ok,” Namjoo held her palms out. “Calm down. Lets talk then. We can talk this out.”

“Get off the bed and come with me.” he ordered. Flicking his knife, he gestured for her to do as told.

On her knees now, Namjoo shifted away discreetly. “Lets be civil about this. If there’s something you want…”

“I said get off!” he raised his voice.

Namjoo literally jerked from his booming cords. Her blood rushed in fear triggering the sudden panic loose inside. She gulped. went dry. Her brain split into screaming, the other half trying to maintain rational order.

“Ok.”

First, act like she was weak and going along with him.

“I’m…I’m getting off.” Namjoo explained. The man backed up and waited for her. Namjoo kept her eye on him.

Slipping from out of the blanket slowly she placed her foot onto the ground. Glancing up at him. To ascertain that he hadn’t moved from where he was posted. The knife was still in his hand, but it was lowered to his side. Namjoo gulped again.

Second, never lose without a fight.

Groping the edge of the bed as she slowly slid off, she felt for the blanket. Anxious. Aware it would only take a second for him to raise the knife and attack her.

Namjoo didn’t work out. Too cooped up with the business she was better with brain and wit than putting her bodily muscles to work. Now she realized she should have listened to Chanyeol and gone to the gym with him.

Hurriedly climbing onto the bed Namjoo swung the pillow at him. Swiping the blanket up to shield her if, in case, he lunged at her with the knife. Swiftly standing up she raced to the foot of the bed. Jumping through the silk curtains. Bumping into the vanity. Listening to the various items on the vanity fall.

Catching sight of the man coming her way Namjoo quickly sought for escape, but here in the corner she was trapped. Damning herself Namjoo flew back through the silk curtains onto the bed. Climbing off the bed and nearly slipping on the blanket on the floor, she found herself standing on the other end with the table between them.

Crap, she’d trapped herself once more.

Nervously laughing, Namjoo said, “Oops.”

Third, maybe come up with a plan b.

She didn’t have a plan b.

Think, think, think!

Heart in , she asked, “Who are you?”

In the depth of the dawn, maybe that’s what it was, he really looked like a shabby robber in dressed down clothes. Rags. That’s what it was. A bunch of cloths he’d thrown together from the dumpster, that’s what it’d be in the 21st century.

He didn’t answer her. Just flashed a grin to show her that chipped tooth again. And a yellow row of teeth in dire need of dental cleaning.

Namjoo screamed when darted to the side to come her way. Grabbing the table, she threw it over toppling the chairs surrounding it, and made a run for the door. Sliding it open and bumped into someone else. A crash resonated at her feet.

Namjoo released a shriek assuming it was an accomplice. Shoving the woman aside Namjoo dashed down the hallway. Leaping into the courtyard. Cursing herself too late because there was nowhere else to run.

Searching hastily Namjoo peered at the guest houses. Hiding would mean trapping herself again. Whatever this man wanted with her she didn’t want to find out. Please! if this was some horrid dream it was time to wake up.

Glancing over her shoulder Namjoo caught sight of the man running after her. With that knife at his side.

Whimpering she chose left. Toward the bathhouse. Toward the forest.

She stumbled over the stupid traditional socks she was wearing. Almost falling head forwards. Peering over her shoulder again she saw that the man had closed in on her. Just several more steps and with the stretch of his arm he would snatch the back of her shirt.

Picking up speed Namjoo raced toward the trees where the horses were tied up. If she knew how to ride, she’d take a horse and escape, but untying one of them would take time. And she didn’t have time right now.

Namjoo tripped over the sock again. Falling onto her knees this time. A big hand snatched the back of her robe. “Gotcha!”

Dragging her to her feet, Namjoo pleaded, “Please, just let me go. I don’t have anything.”

She cried when he pressed the cold blade against her cheek. “Pretty woman is all I need.” She shuddered when he traced the knife down to her shoulder. “Expensive clothes would sell for a good price.” His unruly eyes landed on hers. “Woman knows how to plow the field, right?”

“Eh?” Namjoo squeaked. Was he kidnapping her to make her into a worker? Was she being trafficked?!

He shoved her forward.

One of the guest doors on the west end opened and someone called out, “You’re back?!” Minseok stopped dead on the first granite step.

Oh god! Namjoo internally wept. Someone to help!

Locking an arm around her neck, the man pointed the knife at her. Namjoo struggled to inch away from the tip. Threatening, “Come near and I kill her!”

Her captor side stepped away pulling her along. Minseok's eyes ran toward the knife. Him. Her.

He didn’t move. Namjoo internally screamed. The man continued yanking her sideways with him. The knife still held at her.

Their breathing intensified when Minseok bent down. Anxious as well, the man pulled her a step with him.

Straightening, Minseok foolishly grinned, “Just getting my shoe.”

They watched him slip the necessity on. Tuck his hands at his back coolly. Namjoo was flabbergasted when he started walking by whistling coolly. This was the end, she thought. She couldn’t trust anyone. She would be forced into labor, into the fields, and who knew what else. What kind of tiresome life was waiting for her in this, what, era?

Namjoo abruptly landed on the ground thrown by the man when Minseok turned and charged at them. She watched the man raised the knife into the air but didn’t quite do anything as Chanyeol’s second in command tackled the man. Both landed on the floor struggling to overpower each other.

Pushing herself up Namjoo scooted away from the scuffle. Heart racing. Breath hitching. Witnessing Minseok straddling the man and fighting to take the knife from him. The man writhed. Stretched his arm further up and then swung down. Slashing across Minseok’s arm. Blood spurted.

Namjoo’s mouth opened before meeting eyes with the captor who’d kicked Minseok aside. Scrambling to her feet she finally made the run into the forest.