This and That

120 More Years Beyond Boundaries

Imageries of men wielding iron spears, swords, and body size shields burst through her mind. Their mouths yelling battle cries as they charged at each other. Their silver armor heavy over their shoulders. Eyes rimmed red with intent to destroy and kill. She saw blood and dead bodies.

On impulse she started moving toward the door. Noticing too late Minseok was blocking her.

“Where are you going?” he wondered.

“Uh…well…” Namjoo scratched her ear. Coming up with, “I have to go serve the general breakfast.” Laughing strangely, “He gets stingy if I don’t bring it on time.”

“Looks like you can take it easy today.”

“What do you mean?”

“The general isn’t in.” Minseok replied. “He went to retrieve a message about the raid up north.”

“He did?” her tone dropped. The hand at her side touched the fabric of her dress.

“While we wait, lets go on a walk.” Minseok suggested.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

They went nowhere but to the forested area where Sun was tied up. She noticed that Minseok’s luggage was all set up. Tucked securely inside a cloth bag and hanging over the side of the horse. They would be on the road for a while. She wondered how they would be getting their necessities along the way. Did they have enough food? Water?

Namjoo didn’t ask.

She walked past the horse with Minseok. Curious what he had in mind. Her stomach was empty and she thought of breakfast. Then of Chanyeol, gone. Yesterday they had talked. Sharing a random topic that perhaps wouldn’t mean much to him.

“How is it like?” Namjoo asked.

“What?”

“I mean,” she clarified, “war. The battle, all that stuff.”

“Gruesome.” Minseok’s mouth formed another smile to lighten the word. His doing so made her question his approach toward the severe situation.

How could he laugh when people died?

Upon her no reaction, Minseok’s smile slithered away. His eyes became weighty and solemn. “Of course, there’s blood. Once a man is on the field, he has already committed himself to a cause and he’s ready to die for it. There’s nothing else to it. You either fight or you die.”

Namjoo had seen movies about war. She had heard several stories. None significant enough to touch her very protected life. Suddenly it was even realer.

Chanyeol was going to war.

He was going to risk his life for the nation. Put everything on the line. He might die tomorrow or he might live to see another day. The mere mention of it made her so afraid for him.

Never in her life had she imagined losing Park Chanyeol before. Never had she been so close to losing him. It hurt so much more imagining it.

Today could be the last time she would see him alive, breathing, talking, moving. Hysteria starting boiling inside the pit of her belly.

She didn’t want it to be the last time she’d see him…

Abruptly swerving, she shot a glance over her shoulder as if she might find him standing behind her. The way he always found her when she was with Minseok.

He wasn’t there.

Desperation clawed along her innards. She almost really ran off, but stopped.

“I,” she turned around to see Minseok pulling out a pretty threaded bracelet, “saw this in Gobu yesterday.”

The red thread was thick and sturdy. At the center it was braided into a unique pattern before thinning out into the straight thread meant to be knotted.

Namjoo glanced down when Minseok gently reached for her wrist. “I thought a silly lady would like it.”

Her gaze slipped up to the focus on his face. Feeling the atmosphere quiver over them. Empathizing with the shaking of his heart right this second as he tied the bracelet around her wrist.

“I hear that if a guy gives a girl a bracelet, she’s going to tie him down.”

A rush of realization splashed over her when Minseok lifted his head and their eyes met. Recognizing the hints of the tease in the atmosphere. The tiny bits of hearts beating invisibly. Sincerely and soulfully.

“Minseok…”

Chanyeol’s second in command laughed too loudly for it not to mean anything, and Namjoo knew better.

“I lied. I just made that up,” Minseok beamed brightly. Extending his wide grin. Breathing satisfied, he commented, “It’s pretty.”

“Oh…yea…” Namjoo observed the thread he knotted really tightly. “It’s pretty. Thanks.”

“I knew just which one you’d like,” he boasted. “It’s a token of our meeting.”

“I’ll keep it well.”

“I have to get Sun ready. I do hope we see each other again.” his eyes lingered momentarily before he passed her. She turned to hear him calling out endearingly for his stallion.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Namjoo poked at her food distastefully. Lowering her spoon and glancing at the bracelet locked around her wrist.

She shouldn’t have accepted it.

Namjoo wasn’t a woman who believed in stringing a man along. She didn’t like push and pull games. She had never led a man on before.

Kim Namjoo wasn’t that complete of a narcissist. Need not a man to make her feel beautiful.

To be honest, she didn’t know what to say about this. She didn’t know what to say to Minseok. She barely knew him.

The door flung open interrupting her train of thoughts. A servant girl stood in the doorway, announcing, “The general has returned.”

Shooting to her feet, Namjoo dropped her spoon. “I’m done. You can take the dishes back into the kitchen.”

Bolting out the door Namjoo dashed down the hall. Aware she had to be fast. Chanyeol was on mandatory notice. He’d have to leave right away, even without seeing her.

She didn’t want this to be their last time, whatever that may mean. Present, past…was it that important?

Jumping into the courtyard Namjoo raced toward Chanyeol’s guest room. Hurdling up the two steps nearly bumping into him on his way out the door. A bag was slung over his shoulder. A sword in one hand. Eyes wide with surprise.

Namjoo took everything in. His weapon. His luggage. Prepared to leave and walk into death’s arms.

“Do you…do you have to go?” Namjoo asked.

“What…” he blinked confused.

“Do you really have to fight?” Namjoo continued. “Isn’t there, like, another general who can take your place?”

“What?”

“Don’t go to war, please.”

Chanyeol continued blinking, thinking. Trying to process the simple order of her words. Then softly told, “It’s just a conflict.”

The ground disappeared from beneath her feet. Namjoo suddenly wanted to melt away. “A…a conflict? Not…war?”

“That’s what I said.”

Tossing her head back, Namjoo bellowed. Embarrassed.

She had panicked for nothing?!

An amused smile tilted his lips, as if he was joyful she had pleaded idiotically. It made her even more shameful.

“But,” Chanyeol added, “I’d still have to be prepared for anything unexpected.”

Her eyes slid his direction. A conflict of parties could still end violently. Namjoo was aware danger was a possibility she shouldn’t count out. Chanyeol, here, was a general. His job was to fight the dangerous battles.

She saw his sword. The strong grip of his hand on its sheath.

“Will you…come back?”

He would be gone for a while.

A long…time.

His lips curved. “I’ll be back.”

And if she was still stuck here, she’d be waiting. Also, she knew better because this could be the last time.

Leaning up, she gave him a peck, “Be safe, Chanyeol.”

Namjoo watched him leave again. The emotions flooded her very strangely, very strongly. With much force.

This could be the last time…

The last time.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Chanyeol struggled very hard not to look over his shoulder. Knowing for certain that Namjoo was still in front of his now empty room, watching him go. If he looked back once he didn’t know what he’d do.

Abandon his duties?

Walk on like it didn’t matter?

“He was getting restless,” Minseok said when he walked out the front doors. Already mounted on Sun with the reins of his horse in one hand.

“Mul.”

“What?” Minseok frowned as he climbed onto the horse.

Taking the reins from his friend, Chanyeol steered him onto the road. “His name is Mul.”

Minseok’s eyes swung from side to side. “As in water?”

“Duh.”

“What kind of name is that?” Minseok pulled his horse next to his.

Cheekily grinning, Chanyeol said, “Because water is an important element in our everyday lives. We can’t live without it.”

Going ahead, Minseok shot him a condescending stare, “I’ve never heard such a strange revelation coming from you before.”

Hurrying after him Chanyeol reminded, “You asked!”

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

A week and a half passed. Chanyeol slept in a tent baring the cold winds with a thin blanket that provided no warmth. Sleeping on an even thinner mat with his bag of luggage by his head. Forcing himself into restless dreams in order to forget how chilly it could get at night.

During the days he prowled the land with the military unit. Plenty of soldiers walking the barren land; all green and tan colored dirt with the forests in the distance like ghouls stalking them. Chatting with other higher officers about border control, but no action.

Most of the time food was boiling. Men traveled into the nearby forests for game, careful not to go too deep into the trees. Cautious of wild animals and bear attacks. Cauldrons would burn. Steam filled the air more than war cries. The soldiers were busier with laughing and occupying themselves with games than wielding their swords and knives. Sitting around bonfires late into the night drinking liquor so-and-so had illegally stowed into his bag.

In the end, nothing really occurred but the gallantry stayed camping underneath the cold night stars. Watching the sun fall and then rise again.

Sometimes when he lay alone, he thought about the shoe tucked inside his bag. The last and only time he had watched the sunset and it had been significant. Reminiscing the way his heart raced and he shouldn’t have walked away for this.

Pushing himself up, Chanyeol shoved aside the opening of his tent. The dark world opened up to him. Of glittering stars, a full moon, and cicadas crying. Owls hooted in the distance. Their wings beating against the wind as they swooped down for their prey. As if no one was alive, nothing and no one else moved. Just mother nature retaking charge of its course.

Up ahead a fire was dying out. Men crawling into their tents after having their fill of drinking. Moving toward the weak glowing fire about to be doused by the chilly wind, Chanyeol kicked a piece of log toward it. Spent five good minutes reviving the fire into burning red and orange flames.

Rubbing his hands when he sat down, he leaned toward the fire for warmth. Savoring the intense heat.

“How cruel of you to sit alone without me?” A voice made him turn. Minseok sat down beside him. Rubbed his hands together. “They would think we broke up if you’re always by yourself.” Shivering, “I hate it out here. It’s so damn cold.”

“We should be leaving soon.” Chanyeol assured. A week of no activity meant a waste of funds for the military bureau. There wasn’t enough money floating around. Villages were drowning in poverty. Bigger cites just climbing out of debt thanks to newly instated policies. A few more years of hard work were required for stability, health, and happiness.

It sounded like a painstaking plotline right out of a fairytale, but Chanyeol believed good always resulted in the end.

“Ahh…yes,” Minseok glanced up at the moon, “it would be nice to be back home.” Teasingly eyeing him, “I wonder what Lady Chunghee is doing.”

He gave the friend no heed. Continued staring at the flickering flames. Orange and deep red the log hungrily.

“What?” Minseok wondered nudging him. “That wasn’t funny?” Shrugging, “You’re supposed to react if I say something.”

“I was thinking.” Chanyeol quietly said.

“You were thinking?” he reiterated. “About what?”

“If it’s possible to feel like you’ve known someone before you even met them.”

A moment of silence crawled in. Minseok grinned, “Why, our general is sentimental tonight.” Minseok smiled broadly into the fire, “What is it? You’re finally in love with someone?” He joked, “Gosh! Lady Chunghee is in trouble.”

Chanyeol didn’t know.

His heart had raced before. When he passed the state exam. When he came running home to share the news with his mother. The first time he arrived at the military bureau to receive official training.

Only for things like that.

He thought of sitting with Namjoo at the lake. Her melancholic silence minutes just after running for her life. How her eyes lost something undefined, and he had felt that.

Before he arrived at the bathhouse, he never knew she existed. Even when she screamed obscenities at him, he didn’t feel anything. Not even when they had the little conversations that ticked him off, because she was bold and impolite.

That was troubling. How the air suddenly changed after he sat with her at the lakeside.

Then he thought of the kiss on the cheek. Feeling, immediately, the kick of his heart.

Something about the bathhouse girl. Something that even he had ended up stealing her shoe. Carrying it with him on the road. He hadn’t even bothered returning it.

Did she know, he wondered, that he had it?

“Then,” Chanyeol started, “you?”

The habitual goofy smile lit up Minseok’s face. With the fire powerfully going, his eyes even seemed to burn. Definitely glowing as his cheeks upturned, his lips spread wide.

“Of course,” Minseok answered.

There was something Chanyeol sensed. A hint of dread began to thread through him.

Maybe he shouldn’t have asked.

“But I have to wait,” Minseok said. “You know, my grandparents aren’t in good health. I want them to become healthy first.”

Kim Minseok didn’t have parents. Left behind in his grandparents’ care, he had grown up jolly. Becoming their pride and life. Making them proud when he joined the military, but by the time he received the medal to become Chanyeol’s command they had fallen ill.

The news having come by a messenger the day before they left for battle. Minseok still pulled on a courageous smile. Never losing focus on the present moment.

“So that when I bring her home,” Minseok’s eyes gleamed, “they can celebrate with me and welcome her into the family.”

Chanyeol’s head slightly turned. Witnessing the first ever dreamy expression sweep across his friend’s face. “You already decided?”

Minseok nodded, “I gave her a memento. It’s my promise to her.”


***can't live without water he says xDD remember their talk by the pond? heh~

***uh-oh Minseok