Chapter Three

House Spirit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I was young, I lived in a flat. 

In front of my flat was a street. Between the street and my flat, it had free space which was our yard but it had no gate or wall. 

Flat in Phnom Penh is not allowed to build a wall.

I liked to play throwing shoes with my brother.

One day, we competed to find out who could throw shoes farther. We stood by the door’s house and threw shoes to the street.

There were vehicles on the street.

My mother shouted and told us to stop playing because she was afraid that if the shoes went to the street, we would go to pick them up and it might cause danger for us. So, my brother and I decided to stand in the middle of the yard and threw shoes into the house. We bet if someone threw a shoe right at the shrine of house spirit, that person would be the winner.

Two of us got the shrine, both of us won.

Again and again. We were so happy.

But I felt something. I felt the house spirit was angry, I felt like that, so I spoke in my mind that if he was angry and wanted to punish me, he should come to me, not to my brother.

At night, I went to sleep together with my mother, my brother and my sister. We slept on the floor mat in a net together.

Everyone was in deep sleep. Me too.

Then at midnight, I heard a sound like a metal door slapping with the wall. 

Bang, bang, very loud.

I did not open my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter