dog park

in another world

prompt from cc: hyunjin lonely and bored spends time at local dog park where heejins dog takes a liking to her.... you can guess the rest


Hyunjin's bored out of her mind. In times like this, she used to have her roommate to entertain her - annoying Chaewon’s one of Hyunjin’s favourite pastimes - but recently Chaewon has been spending less and less time in their dorm. Probably off spending time with Hyejoo (Chaewon’s first-year girlfriend that she met in the class she was repeating), Hyunjin thinks to herself.

Hyunjin rattles her brain for anything to do, looking around her pretty-empty room. I could unpack some more things, Hyunjin thinks, before wincing at the idea. Having to rummage through her messily packed things and somehow find places to put it which don’t interfere with Chaewon’s abundance of belongings did not sound appealing. 

Her eyes eventually settle on her desk, where a pile of textbooks and half-done assignments sat, waiting to be worked on. Hyunjin shrugs, finding the idea of studying at least marginally better than unpacking. Might as well.

Sitting on her cheap excuse of a desk chair, Hyunjin pushes out with her leg and idly makes herself spin. Out of sheer boredom, Hyunjin had even placed a pen under her nose and had been balancing it there for over a minute. She really can’t focus when things are this quiet. She sighs to herself.

After one last attempt (which was more Hyunjin staring blankly at the pages she was meant to read), she finally gave up. Determined to at least get something done today, Hyunjin picks up her things and goes out to try and find a place to study.

That's how Hyunjin finds herself at the dog park. It's nice there - people are constantly walking and jogging past, talking with their friends, or out playing with their dogs. Exactly the type of background sound that she needs to buckle down and actually get some work done. 

But before she can even open up her textbook, Hyunjin hears a small bark right by her foot. 

Looking down, she sees a small dog. It has a light brown colour to its fur as if it'd been rolling around in the dirt path before it made its way to Hyunjin, its fur even lighter (almost pinkish) by its belly. Its tail's wagging so fast that Hyunjin can barely see it, and the way it's jumping up to get Hyunjin's attention is especially endearing - especially when coupled with that dumb dopey look on its face. Cute. 

Gingerly, Hyunjin picks up the small creature. She’s a bit cautious since she has a tiny fear of dogs (a big, aggressive one chased her when she was little and she's never been the same since), but one this size doesn't seem so intimidating. Small things had never scared Hyunjin since she knows that she can fight them off easily.

"Hey!" a girl shouts out, stomping over to Hyunjin. A really, really pretty girl. 

Hyunjin doesn’t really know what to say to the stranger yelling at her. "Hi?"

"You're trying to steal Lucky!" she accuses, pointing to Hyunjin in fury. 

In the back of her head, Hyunjin knows that she's trying to be intimidating, with her fists at her sides and eyebrows scrunched up in anger but -- again, small things never scare Hyunjin. Her frown even looked like a pout, Hyunjin thinks, slightly smiling at the fact that the girl is much cuter than she is scary.

The girl tearing the dog - Lucky, Hyunjin guesses - and glaring at her immediately brings Hyunjin out of her thoughts. 

"What?"


Hyunjin sees the two of them every day now. The dog park's a good place to study and it's been helping her fear calm down a little. And she'd be lying if she didn't look forward to seeing them.

After clearing up the misunderstanding (no, Hyunjin definitely wasn't planning on stealing a dog - her lease didn't allow pets anyway), they had introduced themselves to each other and actually found they were in the same year. They even shared some of the same classes!

As it turns out, Heejin - Lucky's owner - is actually pretty nice when she isn't accusing people of dog theft, and funny too. Whenever she passes Hyunjin on her daily dog walk, she would always stop to chat about something random, ask about how her day was, make a dumb joke that Hyunjin almost never laughed at. 

On her way to the park, Hyunjin stops at her favourite bakery. Well, the bakery’s actually pretty far from the park but she had been wanting Heejin to try her favourite bread, so Hyunjin pretends its on her way. Buying the two buns, Hyunjin smiles to herself thinking about how cutely Heejin would probably react to its sweet taste.

Hyunjin walks to the park and, upon arriving, quickly settles at the area where she always sat. All of her assignments have been finished for ages, but really Hyunjin just uses studying as an excuse to see Heejin. And Lucky, of course. 

Heejin comes around the same time she always does, with Lucky trailing behind her. Upon seeing Hyunjin though, Lucky speeds up into a half-run and ends up pulling Heejin along.

Hyunjin hands her the bun and - as expected - the second she bites in, her eyes widen in surprise. “This is seriously good!” Heejin lets out, words almost unintelligible due to her still chewing. Impatient, Heejin takes yet another bite and Hyunjin chuckles at how cute she is with the frosting on her cheek.

Hyunjin just ate an hour ago so she isn’t that hungry (in all honesty, she bought the buns just for Heejin to taste). She splits it into two, handing one half to Heejin and tearing up the other half to give to the birds. The moment the birds come towards them though, Heejin is terrified, and Hyunjin spends the rest of the afternoon shooing away birds and hurriedly trying to give the tore-up pieces to Lucky instead. 

Note to self, Hyunjin thinks as Heejin cowers behind her, do not feed the birds.

Still, having Heejin close to her like this is kinda nice - and Lucky chasing the birds away is cute too. 


"I didn't know dogs needed to be walked daily," Hyunjin muses, letting Lucky her hand. "Have you owned Lucky for long?"

"Ah," Heejin says, looking a bit sheepish. "Actually... I don't own Lucky. I'm allergic to fur."

Hyunjin's shocked. "What?"

"My friend asked me to talk him out for a walk one time and I saw you--" Heejin blushes, tilting her head down in embarrassment. "I wanted an excuse to keep talking to you so-- I hope you don't think I'm weird! I just wanted to get to know you..."

Hyunjin laughs. She thinks Heejin's really cute, all flustered like that. And if a pretty girl would go through all that trouble for her, what's the problem with talking a little more? Hyunjin rips a page out of her notebook and writes out her number. 

"Here." She holds it out. "you don't need an excuse to text."