Chapter 4

Playing the Love Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: SsamBbang won the twitter poll so… here you go. :D

 

==============================================================

 

The workday has just concluded and Hitomi was on her way home when she saw a car stop on the road beside the sidewalk. The driver went out of the car, looking at her.

 

"Uhm…"

 

Hitomi's attention was caught by the man's voice.

 

"I'll bring you home. Come with me."

 

Hitomi's eyes widened.

 

And the widening of her eyes suddenly turned into squinting, her face showing disgust. "What are you doing, Kim Chaewon-ssi?"

 

Hitomi thought the guy was trying to pick a fight with her again but wait… Why does he look so shy now?

 

"Err… It's dark."

 

Hitomi's eyes narrowed more. "I can see that it's dark."

 

The man sighed. "I'm offering to take you home."

 

"I can see that myself, Kim Chaewon-ssi," Hitomi deadpanned. She could not understand why this man is offering to take her home now after everything. Especially after everything.

 

Chaewon gritted his teeth but no, he has to remain calm. "Please… Please accept it. Please." He looked at Hitomi, his eyes showing his sincerity. Perhaps his conscientious side had caught up with him.

 

Hitomi, perhaps moved by his pleas, sighed and replied, "Fine then." It was a free car ride and she knew that commuting home was a hassle at this time of the day; hence why Yuri doesn't take shifts that would make her end up having to go home at this time.

 

Chaewon beamed, quickly opening the door to the front passenger seat. Hitomi, her eyes glaring at Chaewon as she entered the car, was still wary of him.

 

'What if he's planning to me? No, he wouldn't. He can't. I'll kick it before he can do anything.'

 

After closing the door, Chaewon ran to the driver's side of the car. Hitomi looked at him and he seemed nervous. Hitomi gulped.

 

'Maybe he is. Goodness, am I too dumb to ride this car now?'

 

Chaewon went in and locked the doors, sending warning signals to Hitomi's mind.

 

'Hitomi, you idiot.'

 

The man started the car, gently applying force to the accelerator. "So where do you live?"

 

Hitomi was getting creeped out. "Why are you asking?"

 

A sigh escaped Chaewon's lips. "I offered to take you home. I'm not planning to go on a road trip with you tonight so I asked." Oh yeah, he was right. One of Hitomi's worries died down. But why the need to sound so rude?

 

"Oh, that's how you ask someone where they live? Maybe I'll just get out of the car then-"

 

"No! You're not getting out!" Chaewon seemed restless and Hitomi was stumped as to why he was restless.

 

'Oh god, is he planning to kidnap me!?' Another alert was raised in her mind. But why did he ask for her address? Maybe he has an underground ion ring and Hitomi was one of the girls he plans to sell there? Hitomi regrets accepting his offer more than ever. Maybe she could ask why. "W-why am I not allowed to get out?" Hitomi swallowed, nervously looking into the guy's eyes.

 

Chaewon avoided eye contact, of course. "Y-you see…" His cheeks were starting to redden.

 

'Oh god, he IS planning to me.' Sometimes, some people just want to wonder how these thoughts of Hitomi get inserted into her mind. Maybe she has read one too many articles about missing women turning up in ion clubs or motels, and drugged. Regardless, she wanted to listen to his reason.

 

"I heard I got you fired in your previous job…"

 

"Eh…?"

 

Chaewon lightly stepped on the brakes, good thing the stoplights went red. He then looked at Hitomi, who somehow calmed down. "What do you mean by 'Eh'?"

 

Hitomi's eyes, now meeting Chaewon's directly, conveyed confusion to its direct recipient. Meeting for only several seconds, Hitomi quickly looked away. "N-nothing." However, she looked at him again, wanting to hear more. "What about it though?"

 

Chaewon's right hand, went to the back of his neck, scratching it. Hitomi wasn't so sure it was itchy in the first place. "W-well… I'm really sorry." Chaewon quickly looked at the other direction, hiding his blushing cheeks. Apologizing has always been hard for him so he wanted to make sure only he and the girl heard it.

 

Suddenly, all of the red signals vanished in Hitomi's mind. She giggled, making the guy look at her with a raised eyebrow.

 

"Why are you giggling? I was sincere, y'know." Quickly looking away, he pouted.

 

Hitomi stopped giggling, removing the tear that accumulated on her right eye. "S-sorry… It's just… You look cute when you apologize."

 

"Aish…" The lights went green, signaling Chaewon to step on the accelerator.

 

"You're showing me attitude just after apologizing? Wow, you sure are rude." A sigh escaped her lips afterwards.

 

"Fine, I'm sorry."

 

Another apology.

 

'Maybe he's not so bad of a person after all…' A slight smile appeared on Hitomi's lips this time. "Well, I'm sorry too."

 

Chaewon looked at Hitomi with a puzzled look for a second. "Sorry about what?"

 

Hitomi blushed this time. "W-well… You know…"

 

"I don't." A quick response from Chaewon.

 

"You really want to make me say it, huh?" Another sigh from Hitomi.

 

"Say what?" Not looking at Hitomi, his face looked curious.

 

"Me… kicking your little guy."

 

Hearing it made Chaewon's face red, he hit on the brakes so suddenly, earning the ire of the cars behind him. "YAH!" He looked at Hitomi directly, looking quite furious.

 

Hitomi noticed the cars behind them honking. "Kim Chaewon-ssi, there are cars behind us!"

 

"O-oh, right." Chaewon's eyes returned to the road. "About that…"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"My guy isn't little."

 

"I wasn't asking but sure, I'll take note next time." A swift retort from Hitomi. She slightly felt embarrassed for Chaewon now. Was it really worth mentioning?

 

\\\

 

Hitomi and Chaewon finally arrived in front of Hitomi's residence. After parking the car, Chaewon immediately went out, opening the door for the girl. He even offered his hand.

 

"Thank you." Hitomi held onto the hand. It was a bit calloused and she could also see the veins on it. 'He probably works out,' thought Hitomi when she was distracted by the man's voice.

 

Both of them started walking to the direction of the entrance, hands still entwined.

 

"Oh… Uhm… Before I forget…"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"My hand."

 

Hitomi realized she had forgotten to let go of it, getting distracted by his veiny arm. "O-oh, sorry." She let go of it and walked faster, wanting to flush herself in the toilet bowl for being so embarrassing. But then…

 

"H-hitomi-ssi! Wait!"

 

Hitomi turned around, seeing him running after her. He stopped just a couple of steps in front of her. "Y-yes… Chaewon-ssi?"

 

"I was wondering…" He looked uneasy, scratching the nape of his neck which raised more question marks in Hitomi's point of view.

 

"About what?"

 

With an uneasy smile, Chaewon replied, "Maybe we could restart and become friends?"

 

Hitomi looked disgusted. A bit. "Why would I want to be friends with someone who tells me about the size of their thing so casually?"

 

"YAH!" Chaewon was beet red again. "It's because you kept calling it little that I-" He stopped, hearing giggles from Hitomi's direction. "Hitomi-ssi?"

 

"I'm sorry, alright?" Hitomi extended her hand this time. "So yeah. Friends?"

 

Chaewon did the same, gently shaking Hitomi's hand. "Friends."

 

The two smiled at each other, their eyes meeting the other's as well.

 

\\\

 

Hitomi arrived inside her shared apartment with Yuri. Yuri was staring at her with a teasing smile on her lips.

 

"What's with that look? Are you drunk?" Hitomi glared at Yuri.

 

"Who's the guy outside just now? Another suitor?" Yuri teased.

 

"Him?" Hitomi scoffed. "No, he's that guy who got me fired from my job the other day."

 

Yuri pulled Hitomi to the couch, wanting more tea spilled. "Tell me more- But wait… Didn't you kick his… twice?"

 

"Yeah, but he's sorry now and wanted to become friends. Weird, right?" Hitomi looked at Yuri, also weirded out with the man's actions earlier.

 

"Maybe he likes you? Like Wonyoung?" Yuri teased.

 

Hitomi blushed quickly, hitting Yuri's arm. "Shush! I don't have time for that. I'm here to study, not fall in love with people." Hitomi looked away, her cheeks ballooned as she did so. But then, a thought lingered in her mind. 'Maybe he isn't so bad for a guy…'

 

\\\

 

On his way phone, Chaewon's phone rang. He was currently driving so he pressed the answer button on the steering wheel, hearing the voice of the girl he liked the most.

 

"Oppa, are you on your way home?" asked the woman on the other side of the line.

 

"Ah, yes. I am. How are things going?" Chaewon asked with a smile on his lips.

 

"As usual, the schedule's hectic. I hope I can make it to classes this week," answered the voice. There was slight loneliness in her voice which made Chaewon frown.

 

"You will. You've been working your hardest. You'll make it and I'm sure of it." Chaewon reassured the woman.

 

"Oppa…"

 

"Geez. I'm driving. Talk to you later, my little sister."

 

"Talk to you later, oppa."

 

As the call ends, Chaewon's lips curved upwards.

 

\\\

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter