never grow up

you are my sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in and turn on your favorite nightlight

 

+

 

“Come on slow pokes!” Yuna shouts from the front door as she excitedly shuffles back and forth, her feeting struggling to stay still. “It’s my first day of school.”

 

Yeji quickly grabs a piece of toast off the counter and shoves it into as she puts her coat on and fishes for the car keys out of the bowl. “Jisu! Where are you?” Yeji shouts out to her wife who casually strolls out from the kitchen with a lunch bag and hands it to Yuna.

 

“We’re not going to be late, why are you two rushing?” Jisu picks her coat off the rack and pretties herself up in front of the mirror whilst Yeji and Yuna exchange sheepish glances. “What?” Jisu asks as she turns around, catching them both grinning. Immediately they straighten out as Yeji picks up Yuna’s backpack off the ground.

 

“Race you to the car kid,” Yeji tousles her hair and runs out the door with Yuna following closely behind.

 

Yeji opens the back door for Yuna to hop in and makes sure she buckles herself in. “Did you forget anything?”

 

Yuna shakes her head. “Mummy put my colouring pencils in my bag this morning.”

 

“I also put in an extra cookie for you too as a treat later!” Yeji whispers.

 

“You’re the best,” Yuna whispers back and Yeji sticks her cheek out for a kiss. Yuna happily obliges before settling back into her seat.

 

“Jisu! We’re going to be late!” Yeji shouts once she closes the back door. She glances at her wrist watch and looks back up to find her wife strolling out the door and locking it behind her. “You don’t want our daughter to get in trouble on the first day, do you?”

 

“I’m coming!” Jisu grumbles as she picks up her pace.

 

+

 

It’s really busy in the classroom.

 

There are adults littered everywhere, parents dropping their kids off for their first day of school as well. Jisu notes how there were already friendship groups forming between the children and other parents when she turns to Yuna who was still holding onto Yeji’s hand. “You ready kiddo?” Yeji lowers herself down to Yuna’s eye level and smiles.

 

The girl’s face was slowly losing colour, her hands were getting a bit sweaty and her usual cheeky grin was nowhere to be seen. “Uhmmm,” she gulps, “Yeah - sure…” she says looking straight past Yeji. “Actually, I’m not feeling well, can we go home and come back tomorrow?”

 

Despite her earlier demeanour it would seem as if the nerves had finally hit her.

 

“Really? Because you look fine to me,” Yeji says as she places the back of her hand on Yuna’s forehead and the other on her own forehead as if to compare their body temperatures.

 

“No, mum, I’m really not feeling well,” Yuna pretends to curl over but Yeji just laughs. “My stomach feels funny.”

 

“You’re just having butterflies, baby.” Yeji caresses her cheek.

 

“I have butterflies in my stomach?” Yuna shouts out loud as she places her hand over her stomach looking mortified. “How did they get there? Are they going to die in me?”

 

Yeji’s eyes widen in shock, “No-no, I meant - it’s just a figure...of...speech…” Yeji’s voice trails off as she looks up to her wife for support. “You’re just a bit nervous, you don’t have butterflies in your stomach.”

 

Jisu lowers herself down beside them and grabs a hold of Yuna’s hand. “You’re going to be fine, Yuna. You’re going to make a lot of friends today and you’re going to learn a lot of new things and you get to colour in and play sports.”

 

“But what if no one wants to be my friend?” Yuna asks.

 

“Who wouldn’t want to be your friend?” Jisu pretends to huff, “If they don’t want to be your friend then they’re missing out.”

 

“Do I really get to play sports?” Yuna asks, her gaze finally meeting Jisu’s.

 

“Mmhmm! You can finally show them how good you are.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really,” Jisu cups her cheeks and plants and kiss on her nose, “I left you a little surprise in your lunch box too if you miss me too much.”

 

“Is it another cookie?”

 

“Another cookie?” Jisu asks and it takes her a moment before she shoots her wife a glare. Yeji grins and immediately stands up. When she does she spots a familiar face in the crowd and quickly greets her.

 

“Oh Nayeon unnie!” Yeji greets the older woman.

 

“Yeji, how are you?” the woman with the long black hair greets her with a friendly hug.

 

“Are you dropping the kids off to school as well?” Yeji asks.

 

There’s a girl standing beside her around Yuna’s height. “It’s Yujin’s first day at school so I’m just dropping her off to class.”

 

“It’s Yuna’s first day as well, how are you feeling Yujin? Are you nervous?”

 

“Nope!” the girl answers, “I’m excited to play sports.”

 

“Hey, Yuna likes to play sports as well.”

 

“I’m really good at it! I really like soccer!” Yujin exclaims excitedly.

 

“I like soccer too!” Yuna chimes in, picking up on Yujin’s enthusiasm.

 

“Really? Let's play together then!”

 

“Ok!”

 

The school bell rings signalling that it was time for the parents to leave. “Alright baby,” Jisu pulls Yuna back towards her and gives her a tight hug.

 

“Mum, you’re going to squish me,” Yuna laughs.

 

“Give me a kiss,” Yeji says once Jisu lets her go. Quickly she gives Yeji a peck on the cheek and Jisu as well.

 

“Hey wait, lets take a quick photo,” Yeji whips out her phone and stretches her arm out as they all squeeze into the frame. “One-two-smile!” Yeji says as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter