Chapter 5

Crazy For You (MiChaeng Ver.)

The little ball of brown fluff was trying hard to fall asleep on her soft little push doggy bed, but the thought of her master still out there in the big bad world couldn’t appease her. Finally like an alarm clock, the sound of clinking keys and creaking door, made the puppy burst out to the door, yapping excitedly…

“Hey Mina…” Chaeyoung haven’t even planted her feet inside her apartment yet, and the pup have already jumped into her arms, welcoming Chaeyoung with slobbery kisses… “Did you miss me?”

The puppy answered with an excited yip. Chaeyoung carries the wriggly puppy back to her room.

“I miss you too Mina… I always do..”

*

“I have met a lot of girls but my heart never fluttered for anyone… But you…”

Mina have heard that line numerous times and no matter who says it, it only sounds sleazy everytime.

Seeing that his pick up line didn’t work, He took out his secret weapons, his smoldering looks than could have girls threw their at him in three second.

1
2

“You can waste your breath counting to a hundred, but you still look like a chick to me.”

He was left flustered that the doe eyed girl was more interested on her drink rather than on him, but he was ready to try again. But just as he was about to go to second round, someone swooped in between them.

“Hi… I’m Chaeyoung…”

A dark haired beauty flashes her y smile at him/her whatever he/she is.

“And I got to say, you have got to be the most beautiful girl in this room.”

Mina was ready to burst out in laughter but she was careful not to break this guy’s ego.

“I’m not a girl…”

“Oh… I’m sorry…” Now it was Chaeyoung’s turn to give her/him a smoldering look. “My bad… Most beautiful woman.”

“I’M A GUY!”

Mina couldn’t hold it in her laughter as the guy blasted out at Chaeyoung.

“Oh shoot… sorry about that” From Chaeyoung’s snarky grin it was obvious that she wasn’t sorry at all “From this angle you totally look like a chick, but in another angle you do look like a dude. But I do admit you’re quite pretty though…”

He swallows down a drink trying to calm himself before he hits a girl.

“Well, you said something about not having any girl making your heart flutter, Have you thought that maybe it’s not girls who can make your heart flutter? Have you tried guys?”

The two could see pretty girl/boy grinding his teeth in anger. He was about to get out on Chaeyoung, but instead hissed away… There are girls to be charmed why waste it on these two?

Mina just ignored Chaeyoung thinking it would make Chaeyoung go away, but she’s just standing right there cocking her brows ily at Mina.

“So, what do I get?”

“For what?”

“For saving you from that ugly chick.”

Mina scoffs “I thought you said she was pretty?”

“I’m not into trannies…”

“Oh my God Chaeng…” Mina begs God to save her away from Son idiot.

“Yes Mina, you’re right, I’ am a God…”

Chaeyoung and her endless comebacks are just something…

“Oh. So that made you think that I wanted to be saved?”

Chaeyoung just rolls her eyes… “Oh please… He might look all that, but we both know that nobody can make you scream the way I do…”

Mina remained quiet and Chaeyoung’s lip just curve halfway knowing well enough she won. It was world war between Mina and Chaeyoung and both refuses to lose…

“Awww Mina, remember this place? This is where we first met”

Right now Chaeyoung is the one with the endless attacks.

“Sorry I try to forget” Mina lies, she could remember it clearly that’s why she tries to drink herself to eventually forget.

Chaeyoung’s lips curve into a delicious smirk.

“So, how does it feel to finally be free Mina?”

“Exhilarating…”

“I bet… once a player, always a player, right Mina?”

“I guess…” Mina shrugs. “Thanks for ruining my engagement by the way…”

Mina could finally let out a triumphant smile as Chaeyoung’s face scrunches, as if someone just punch her in the gut.

“My pleasure…” Chaeyoung gulps down the remaining alcohol in her drink to somehow ease the humiliation. “So, what have you been up to?”

“Just putting check marks on my list. And you?”

“Work… never have time for relationships, but is a whole different thing though.” Chaeyoung just felt like she needed to point it out. “Because I still get a lot, it is the best exercise. But I still have to admit you have been like my favorite exercise partner.”

How come Mina felt like a when she heard those words?

“Hmmm… don’t you miss the old us, Mina?”

“What do you mean old us?”

“No commitment, no relationship just pure adult fun…”

“Wasn’t it you who wanted to make something out of nothing?”

Chaeyoung sips her drink, hoping that Mina wouldn’t see the effect of her words on her. Nothing? Is that how Mina think about them? Nothing?

“Hmmp… it was an in the moment thing. It was a big mistake”

This time it was Mina who tries to still every breaking nerve in her. Mistake? Is that what Chaeyoung think about what happen to them? A mistake?

“You know what Mina? I have been thinking about this… Why don’t we go back to our old selves? You know just for fun… no commitment, no relationship, no feelings, nothing…”

This wasn’t what Mina had in mind, she wanted to try again with Chaeyoung, to finally put a label to what they have instead of being just friends with benefits. And Mina could might very well just said no. But instead she answered Chaeyoung with a…

“Yeah… why not?”

If this is her only chance to win Chaeyoung then she’ll take it.

A part of Chaeyoung wished that Mina would have said no; that she’s not willing to be played anymore. That she wanted something more of what they have. But Chaeyoung had enough of being the pathetic one, for once she wanted to be the insensitive one, to be the one who comes out with this with lesser heartache.

But she wasn’t, because here she is faking all the hurt by plastering on a sly grin.

“Then, let’s get out of here.”

*

Both Mina and Chaeyoung wondered why this feels so awkward… Before, they strip down their clothes and do it like it’s the most natural thing in the world. But right now Chaeyoung’s hands was all shaky that she can’t pull off Mina’s dress and Mina’s hand fumbles trying to Chaeyoung’s shirt.

It was getting more and more awkward by the minute, and both of them knew that they weren’t getting anywhere.

“Ummm I… I think I should go.” Mina finally said it out loud.

It was Mina who finally had the guts to pull away, and it was Chaeyoung again who was scrambling to hold on.

When Chaeyoung realized how pathetic she have become again, she let go.

“Ummm ahhh… yeah… I think that’s a good idea… I guess when I think about you with my sister, it’s not really such a turn on.”

“What?!”

It was time for Mina to hear it, Chaeyoung’s aches and questions.

“Why did you pick her Mina?” Chaeyoung clenches her teeth then looks away “No, don’t answer that, I know what you’re going to say. Instead, why don’t you answer this, Mina, why didn’t you give us a chance?”

“Because I had a hard time believing you.”

And that was the painful truth that both of them went through.

“I thought somewhere along the time were together that I’ll eventually fall for Ryu” Mina smiles weakly at the thought of those bittersweet memories. “I loved her but it’s has always been a comforting kind of love. But yours…” Mina look up at Chaeyoung. “It was a painful kind of love, Chaeyoung. We’re not even together yet and it hurts already, and it scares me to think Chaeng, if we’re going to be together is it going to be worse or not? And I’m a coward Chaeyoung…”

They both were…

All Mina was doing was pick up her purse, and it was enough to rattle Chaeyoung. She should get used to it, but she just couldn’t, it kills her to see Mina go…

But Mina didn’t even make it to the door when she felt Chaeyoung’s hand wrapped around her wrist.

“I still…”

I still love you, Mina…

But this time, Chaeyoung caught herself before heart have relentlessly put itself out in the line again. Instead, Chaeyoung beg Mina for another thing, to simply stay.

“Stay for the night.”

There was a mix of emotions in Chaeyoung’s words, there was sincerity, longing and pleading. And it was enough to bring a fear in Mina that she would be the first one to falter.

“W-what?”

“I don’t want you going out there this late. J-just stay for the night. I could sleep in the couch if this feels awkward for you.”

“I… I don’t think I could stay…”

“Please do…” Chaeyoung begs… “I’ll sleep in the couch, just stay… for once Mina, just stay.”

*

4 hours laying there in pitch darkness and sleeplessness haven’t chimed in on Chaeyoung yet. It wasn’t really the couch that is making her stay up this late. It was the girl in her bedroom.

Chaeyoung just exhales deeply, tearing her gaze away from her bedroom door and just huffs frustratingly up the ceiling.

It has always been her mantra to live her life without regrets, she was doing fairly well to until she let her emotions took the best of her. She regrets what happen between her and Mina and every night, she falls into the cliff of what ifs, and just like it was a black hole, her fall seems never ending.

And Chaeyoung let out a sigh again because tonight is just gonna be one of those long sleepless nights…

*

KNOCK.KNOCK.KNOCK.

“SON!!!”

“Ah crap…”

Chaeyoung hurriedly stumbled out of the couch, scrambling towards the door before Mina could wake up from Tzuyu’s screams.

“What?”

The poor puppy in Tzuyu’s arm whimpers, asking Chaeyoung to save her from the tall girl.

“I have to give Mina back…” Tzuyu shoves the teddy bear looking puppy at Chaeyoung.

“SHHHHHHH…” Chaeyoung starts bouncing up and down, begging Tzuyu to shut up.

“What?!” Tzuyu was surprised with how flustered Chaeyoung is acting “Mina-”

“SHHHHHHH!!!!” Chaeyoung have always wonder if Tzuyu has hearing problems, cause she always talk so loud.

“What the heck?!”

“Her name is not Mina anymore, her name is ahhhh…ummm… brownie…”

Chaeyoung and her ridiculousness, Tzuyu is so used to it, she doesn’t seem to care anymore.

“Well, whatever, Brownie Mina wouldn’t let Sana go to sleep.”

Chaeyoung raised her eyes away from her whimpering puppy. “Wait? How did you and Sana ended up together?”

“Well, we didn’t. Me and Brownie Mina were outside Sana’s window and she keeps on crying and Sana couldn’t fall back asleep with all the noise.”

Chaeyoung gasps in horror and shields her puppy away from Tzuyu.

“I trusted you with her! and you use her to stalk Sana?!”

“Pffft… When Edward does it to Bella its romantic? And when I do it, its stalking?!”

“Chaeng…”

Tzuyu finally piece the puzzle together when she hears someone calling Chaeyoung from her bedroom.

“Oh… that’s why… Oh crap, Mina?!”

The puppy starts barking excitedly to the sound of her name.

“Hey Mina…”

Chaeyoung elbows Tzuyu whose mouth was hanging so wide open a train could pass through it.

“Awww… a puppy…” Mina made her way to the breathing teddy bear in Chaeyoung’s arms.

“Well, ummm Mina…”

The puppy keeps on barking happily, excited that people keep on calling her name.

“Awwww… she looks like a little teddy bear” Mina takes the puppy from Chaeyoung’s arms and starts cooing it.

And Chaeyoung brow creases in a pout thinking Why can’t I be the puppy?

“What’s her name?”

“Oh! Ummm… brownie? Cause she’s brown.”

“Oh okay… hi brownie”

Minapup raise her puppy brow( if puppies have brow) at Mina girl, having the WTF girl, don’t believe these idiots, that ain’t my name look on her puppy face.

Mina pouts… “She’s not responding…”

“Maybe she doesn’t like you…”

“Oh…” Mina pouts so cutely, Chaeyoung have to stop herself before she could pinch her “Hi brownie… I’m Mina…”

The puppy starts barking happy that the girl finally calls out her name.

“Awww… they’re so cute together…” Tzuyu coos “I ship. Minapup is real”

Chaeyoung growls at her bestfriend. Because as far as Son Chaeyoung knows, only one pairing is real and it’s MiChaeng.

*

Tzuyu waited for Mina to leave so she could smack some sense into her bestfriend’s head, like literally…

“OW!!! Like what the hell, Tzu?!”

“So, what was that all about? Tzuyu pried “Are you two FWB’s again? What am I even saying? You two are not even friends, you’re just good time people.”

“Well, FYI Tzu… we didn’t do anything last night, I slept in the couch, while she slept in my bedroom.”

“And that’s it? You’re going to let her walk away from you again like that?”

Chaeyoung chooses to ignore Tzuyu but Tzuyu needs to make things clear for Chaeyoung.

“This is good, Chaeyoung… you two are finally headed out the right direction”

“What are you talking about?”

“That means it’s more than just for the both of you, you two are still in love. Dude… She’s back here for a reason. Don’t think she comes back here because of your boinking skills. Dude, she’s here because she wants something to happen between you two.”

Chaeyoung slid the waffle to the plates and starts to focus on the omelet she was making, hoping if she ignores Tzuyu that it will eventually shut Tzuyu off. But she should know, nothing is capable of shutting Tzuyu up, unless you stuck food in .

“She was just scared Chaeng… Do you think that if you didn’t Dongwook on her wedding, that she’ll be here?!”

“Look… Tzu… I messed up… I shouldn’t have done that… I shouldn’t have Dongwook…”

“Hey… look, you hear it in songs, you watch it in movies… I’m a go fight and stay with the one I love, but it’s not easy… People tend to choose the safer side, and that’s just what happen with Mina, she was scared. but you dude, you fought for her again and again. And maybe that finally made her realize that maybe you do love her.”

“Why do I always have to be the one who’s trying to chase her?” Chaeyoung waves her spatula at Tzuyu. “Why can’t she chase me this time?”

“I didn’t say anything about chasing? Did you?” She asks Mina pup…

“Nobody needs to chase anybody, all I’m saying is, if you spend your time getting to know her rather than boinking her before, then there should have been a huge chance that you two would have make it. But no, you didn’t… but you’re given another chance this time Chaeng, So, don’t blow it…”

Other than the omelet fizzling on the pan, everything in Chaeyoung’s house remained quiet. Chaeyoung remained quiet, letting Tzuyu’s words slowly sip into her.

“What should I do?”

“Well… invite her to do couple-y things…”

Chaeyoung was embarrassed to admit that for 24 years of her existence she have no idea what couple-y things are…

“So, ummm… what’s couple-y things?”

“I’m glad you’re trying…” Tzuyu pats Chaeyoung at the back. “Well, what might be couple-y things for you may not be couple-y things for others. Like me and Sana”

“You two are a couple?”

“In a way we are, I like to chase her and she likes to beat me up with something hard, that’s our couple-y things, some people read manga together, some go paint their nails, it really depends on you… What you two like doing as a couple.”

Chaeyoung could think of one thing that two of them like to do as a couple, but Tzuyu knows her bestfriends more than anything else.

“What you have in mind, doesn’t count…”

“I tried to be a couple with her but she dump me remember?”

“That’s because you just keep on skipping the order of relationships. You started with , when most relationships ends with that. it’s like you’re doing it in reverse and that probably scared Mina. You shouldn’t have told her, you should have just showed her.”

“And then what? Just watch her choose Ryujin again?” Chaeyoung clenches her teeth angrily, until now that bitter memory still left a bad taste in her life.

“No… if you have showed her that you loved her then she could have chosen you. She never probably felt it, she might have thought that all you ever wanted was . And then you just blurted out to her, that you love her. Do you actually think she might have believed that?”

“Should I even try?”

“If I were you I would…”

“Wae?”

Tzuyu was about to stuff a forkful of waffle in but stop to tell Chaeyoung something.

“Because not everyone is given a second or third chance in love.”

*

Chaeyoung have never researched this hard since she was, come to think of it. She never research at all. But here she is, getting out her inner nerd, researching in books, the internet and magazines for that one fact.

What do couples do?

And after a week of doing an extensive research, Chaeyoung have finally put her plan into action.

*

First step: Bringing lunch to Mina’s work.

But just as Chaeyoung have gathered up all her guts to step inside Mina’s office building, the sight of the doe eyed girl stepping out of the revolving her, have halted her.

“Mina?”

Mina eyes widen like a doe caught in headlights as she sees Chaeyoung standing, very quickly she hides what seems like a lunchbox behind her.

“Chaeng?”

Mina curse herself for being too slow, she was supposed to surprise Chaeyoung with special brownie fudge treats that she made herself. But it seems like it was her who was up for a surprise.

“So, ummm what are you doing here?”

Oh crap… what am I suppose to say now? Chaeyoung wonders…

“Oh ummm I was ahhh… about to go to you know eat lunch in the park when I happen to pass through here… keke” Chaeyoung scratches the back of her neck consciously…

And Chaeyoung could only regret on how quickly she faltered. She have rehearsed what she was about to say to Mina, her words that was supposed to sweep Mina of her feet, to wow Mina with her charming personality and quick wits. But here she was standing like a bumbling idiot, wishing her brain didn’t freeze at this moment, because her heart needs all the help it could get. She needs her brain to function something, a word, a smile, anything to keep Mina from slipping away again.

“But the park is like 10 blocks from here”

Ah crap…

“I know… I like to exercise…”

Her heart is going to beat the crap out of her brain after this.

“Oh okay…”

Why did Chaeyoung’s word left Mina disgruntled and aching again? What was it that Mina was trying to think? Chaeyoung did say to her before that it was a mistake. And Mina have agreed to that, hearts have been broken, tears have been shed, what was the point to all of this then? Why was she even trying to fix something that have been broken several times?

“So, are you going to eat lunch out?”

Now it was Mina’s turn to have a debate in her head. Her hand gripping tightly on the lunchbox full of brownies.

“Ummm… I was ahhh…” Well I could just say it, yeah that’s right… I need to say it. “Well, I made some brownies so I was ummm about to… ahhhh… eat it…” with you “Ummm yeah… that’s right.”

“Oh okay… Well, I’m going to the park now.” Chaeyoung points forward.

“Oh” Mina says disappointingly. “Yeah, I’ll be going too…” Mina points to the opposite direction.

“Bye Mina…”

And until now those two words were the hardest thing that Chaeyoung could ever utter.

“Bye Chaeng…” Mina nods politely, turning away from Chaeyoung.

And to say it simply every step that Mina takes away from her does nothing but kill her. Chaeyoung should have been crying right now, but instead, it got to the point where she’s so frustrated at herself that all she could do is laugh at herself. She named her restaurant after the girl, she named her flipping puppy after the girl. But she can’t even invite the girl out.

She was a coward and she blew her chance once again…





Or maybe she won’t…

Mina always rip someone’s arm off when she felt someone’s hand wrap around her wrist.

“Chaeng?”

The two remained frozen while the city was bustling around them.

“Mina, would you like to join me for lunch?”

And Mina answers Chaeyoung with a smile, slipping her hand so she could take Chaeyoung’s hand in hers. But before they could take a step, Mina leaned closer to Chaeyoung, laying her lips on Chaeyoung’s forehead.
It was a soft kiss, but Chaeyoung’s heart have never fluttered as much.

This was the first step for both, but for each other they could take a billion steps more.