one

they don’t know ‘bout us

//

 

“what the- yah miyawaki! since when are you this strong? you didn’t take steroids, did you?!”

 

“shut up, duck! i’ve always been stronger than you!“

 

“cocky now, are we? then loser buys winner three sticks of ice cream!”

 

“oh choi, you’re on!”

 

“these idiots are at it again...” 

 

chaewon firmly believes she has spent her high school days sighing more than studying. being friends with two blockheads who probably share one brain cell is hard enough as it is (very embarrassing at that too). plus another blockhead who goes by the name of chaeyeon, who also willingly adds spice to sakura and yena’s doltishness.

 

it’s amusing though, chaewon admits (actually, everyone); watching the well-known tom & jerry duo bickering and messing around with each other on a daily basis. getting into spontaneous squabbles within their animated conversations, pulling pranks on each other... you name it. 

 

sakura and yena compete in everything— soccer (they’re both in the girls’ soccer team), p.e, arm wrestling, grades, who has the least attention span in class, who folds the best paper plane, who gets the most detention, including who makes the teacher burst a blood vessel the fastest. and the list doesn’t just stop there, they compete in literally everything and anything.

 

almost the whole school (if not, all) acknowledges their rivalry to the point where everyone is used to their recurrent banters. miyawaki sakura and choi yena are the real epitome of tom & jerry.

 

but unbeknownst to the school, there’s more than meets the eye.

 

people don’t seem to discern the particular chemistry the two of them has. rivals, nemeses, foes— that’s all they perceive the two of them as, because the thought of these two dating is basically like waiting for hell to freeze over.

 

and they find it amusing how people don’t notice. 

 

///

 

in the field, somehow choi yena is more prone to injuries than any other places. within their team, she probably suffers the most number of lacerations. more often than not, she trips more than she can count during soccer practice. 

 

(you can’t blame her, not everyone has a great sense of balance.)

 

it almost makes people wonder how she’s able to play flawlessly during competitions, without missing a beat, almost like the satisfying flow of water.

 

yena would be sitting on the artificial grass patch, groaning like a living dead with either bruised or bleeding knees and sakura would appear from behind to give her a well-deserved smack on the back of her head.

 

and her excuse would be, ‘that’s for being a clumsy little .’

 

somewhere amongst that line of that.

 

“, that’s the eleventh time you’ve tripped on nothing this week.“ sakura deadpanned, walking to stand infront of the floored duck humanoid who took her revenge by sending a slap on other girl’s shin.

 

every time she sustains an injury, sakura would always be the first to pop up by her side. you would think she would lend yena a hand but they aren’t labelled ‘tom & jerry’ for nothing. 

 

the mischievous miyawaki would squat infront of the duck, with her hands on her knees and she would sport that crooked smile of hers, which practically screams mockery. and then, clown yena for her clumsiness afterwards. 

 

(yena’s eyes would roll up all the way to the heavens.)

 

“oh very helpful, miyawaki. are you gonna ask if i want my name on guiness world record for that?” yena snorted, narrowing her eyes at the other striker whose mocking grin only stretched wider.

 

with a tilt of her head, sakura arched a teasing brow at the perturbed brunette.

 

“do you now?”

 

yena scoffed, her lips mirroring sakura’s smirk. 

 

“anything to get ahead of you, babe. at least i’ll have my name globally known.” yena stated as a matter of fact, sticking her little frisky tongue out. 

 

it evoked slight irritation from the cherry blossom but she only sighed as she rested her cheek on the heel of her palm as she watched her girlfriend rubbing the bruise on her knee. internally, she was upset and puzzled, about how yena always managed to injure herself. 

 

externally, she looked uncaring but in truth, she really, really felt bothered seeing various purple spots or grazes marking yena’s legs. she was actually contemplating to force yena to wear protective gears from head to toe seeing how frequent it was for her to get injured.

 

“uh huh, globally known as the world’s greatest dumb duck to ever exist.” sakura rolled her eyes, reaching out to slap away yena’s itchy hand which constantly rubbed her bruise (she was making it worse). 

 

despite her blank expression, there was a slight frown on sakura’s face as she eyed her bruises. yena sensed it, the older girl’s internal concern for her well-being and like always, her heart felt light. it made her want to intentionally sustain more injuries just so sakura would her give that (adorable) worried look, but that was just asking for her demise.

 

yena leaned forward, amused how sakura wasn’t moved at all with the little distance between their faces.

 

“and as the world’s greatest dumb duck’s girlfriend, how do you feel about that?” yena asked in a hushed tone, eyes trained on sakura’s tempting, parted lips.

 

and for a moment, yena really thought she was going to kiss her but sakura only dived in to whisper teasingly in her ear.

 

“unlucky.” then she pulled away with a lopsided grin plastered on her face, standing up in her spot.

 

yena grunted, obviously disappointed with sakura giving her false hope. nonetheless, she took the hand stretched out to her and heaved herself up.

 

“bummer, because this duck feels extremely lucky to have such a great girlfriend by her side. did i mention she’s hot?” yena asserted rather proudly, wriggling her eyebrows to add to the tease. 

 

and even though she hears yena’s unnecessary praises almost every day, sakura’s cheeks just couldn’t resist turning pink. yena has her own unique charm, cheesy but very unique, sakura can’t really explain it (or why she’s attracted to it in the first place). damn this duck and her cheesy lines.

 

“choi yena, i will choke-slam you.” 

 

sakura’s slender finger jabbed her chest as a playful threat, but upholding her cheesy title, yena simply shot her a sly smile.

 

“oh please do, baby.”

 

trying to seduce her in the middle of soccer practice? sakura didn’t think so. the cherry blossom crinkled her nose in disgust as a response, pushing her shameless girlfriend away lightly with her finger.

 

“gross.” she curtly replied, pretending to gag at yena’s dirty joke.

 

yena held her wrist just as she was about to walk away in shame, and of course, there were those lips puckering in a pout. oh you bet sakura knew what those lips craved for.

 

“can i at least get a kiss from my lovely, hot girlfriend?” yena pleaded, constantly tugging at her wrist impatiently.

 

another sigh escaped the cherry blossom’s lips, if kissing her would shut her needy girlfriend up, then so be it. 

 

“miyawaki! stop tormenting choi and gather up!”

 

but just as she was about to lean to give yena a quick peck, their coach interrupted them. yena, who had her lips all ready for a smooch, groaned in frustration. she slumped over as her eyebrows met in a frown. sakura signaled an okay sign to their burly coach before turning back to the duck humanoid.

 

she chortled seeing yena looking extremely dejected regarding their interrupted session, the (pitiful) sight caused her lips to curl upwards. maybe she should reward her one later.

 

“why do people assume we’re fighting all the time?” yena thought out loud.

 

they both shrugged, laughing at their synchronisation before gathering with their teammates. frankly, it isn’t their fault. whenever they act lovey dovey with each other, no one seems to notice. it’s only when they bicker then everyone would take notice.

 

it’s not like they intentionally wanted to hide their relationship. they just assumed everyone would know eventually, but they didn’t think people would be this ridiculously oblivious. 

 

well, it’s not like they care anyway.