Chapter 2

A Rose By Any Other Name

Do you ever think about how things can change in an instant? Like if you took that left turn instead of the right, would you still have ended up in a traffic jam? Or if you only leaned in a second sooner, would you have kissed the pretty girl standing in front of you?

 

The moment had fizzled as soon as the lights flicked on above them. Like someone had just popped the bubble of energy vibrating between them. WheeIn looked into YongSun's soft brown eyes as heat crept over her face, she was aware of the thunderstorm still raging outside of her window.

 

WheeIn cleared , and with a single blink, she broke the remaining tension between them, they were once again strangers. WheeIn fidgeted uncomfortably. "I should probably get you some blankets." She took a set back, avoiding her YongSun's gaze. She desperately wanted to retreat somewhere and hide but there was nowhere to go in her tiny apartment.

 

She left YongSun standing in the same spot, looking over WheeIn's painting, as she went to her tiny cupboard to get the only other set of blankets she had. "If you want I could just borrow your phone and call my part-timer, get them to come back with the key." There was an odd time to her voice, WheeIn wondered if she angered her in some way.

 

WheeIn came back over with the folded blankets. "You are free to use my phone if you want to but I think it would be best if you stayed here, it is well past midnight." YongSun nodded slowly, taking the blankets from WheeIn, their hands grazing in passing, WheeIn felt a new wave of heat wash over her. "You can take the bed if you want to." She offered, not really caring, more than once she had passed out on the couch.

 

"Oh no, I'll take the couch, please you've done more than enough for me." WheeIn started to protest but YongSun cut her off with a wave of her hand. "Really WheeIn-Ah you've done so much I don't know how I can repay you."

 

WheeIn shrugged. "You don't have to."

 

YongSun leaned in and pressed a small kiss to her cheek. "Good night Jung WheeIn ssi." YongSun turned around fast and made her way to the sofa, WheeIn could do nothing but stand there frozen, she could have sworn she saw YongSun's cheeks turn red.

 

WheeIn rushed a goodnight and flicked off the lights, sending them back into darkness. This time the feeling was a bit different, as WheeIn laid on her bed, trying to make out the form of the sleeping girl on her couch she wondered how differently this night could have gone had the lights not have turned back on.

WheeIn was sure she wasn't going to get any sleep that night but it came to her easily. When the sun rose from its slumber, WheeIn was alone in her apartment, Kim YongSun was nowhere in sight.

 

------

 

YongSun wasn't exactly sure what to do. Moments ago she was about to kiss the beautiful, quiet girl who stood in front of her. Now they were both lying on opposite ends of the apartment, in the dark, awkward tension threatening to choke her. She glanced over at the other girl, WheeIn lay on her side breathing gently, a troubled expression on her face.

It was the dead of night, the storm had let up some time ago, but YongSun could not bring herself to sleep. Her eyes danced over the many canvases that WheeIn had laying around, they were truly beautiful paintings, she seemed to put so much emotion in her work. There was this little flame in her heart that told her she needed to find a way to keep Jung WheeIn in her life.

 

When morning broke, YongSun left WheeIn's apartment. She didn't intend on leaving before the girl woke, or even leaving without word but her shop needed to open and the part timer should already be there to do so, which means YongSun needed to go meet him and get her keys back.

He was more than apologetic at YongSun's mistake, and she had to reassure him over and over that it was not his fault she was locked out all night. Good news was, he was her last call before she lost her phone and the driver of the bus called him about her phone, letting her know where she can pick it up. YongSun left him to open, promising to be back as soon as she went home to change and grab her phone from the bus station.

Her morning was otherwise, uneventful, she went home to change, only to realize she was still wearing WheeIn's clothing. She put it through the wash and hung it to dry as she left for the day. Getting her phone proved to be easier than expected, she just had to tell them what kind it was and how to unlock it. She was now sitting at her desk in her shop working on a bouquet that someone was going to pick up soon. The entire time she was working, her mind was on the painter, she had to find a way to pay her back for everything she had done for YongSun last night. Her eyes snagged on her far wall, white brick, she had originally left it that way to make the place seem bigger, now she could use it for another reason.

YongSun's heart beat harder as she pushed the buttons on her phone, fingers folded around a business card. When the other end answered, she suddenly felt the words catch in . "Hello?" The voice sounded slightly annoyed but mostly confused.

YongSun cleared . "Jung WheeIn ssi, can you meet me at my shop at eight tonight?" There was a beat of silence. "This is YongSun by the way."

A small chuckle rose from WheeIn. "I figured," There was rustling around in the background. "Yes I can be there for eight, is everything okay?" 

"Yes, everything is fine, just make sure to bring your paint." She felt a smile creep up on her face, it stayed there until a knock sounded on her door exactly at eight.

---------

WheeIn was nervous. She spent the better part of her day wondering why YongSun had left without a word. Not long after she woke up, she walked across the street to check if she was in her shop. She saw YongSun's part timer but not her. Slightly bummed out, she continued on and grabbed herself a coffee on her way back to her apartment. The rest of the day she went back to her painting. She still had her exhibit coming up and she really needed to finish her work. 

Before she knew it, night had started to fall. She took her first break of the day and began to brew herself some ramen noodles. She took a seat on her kitchen counter as she blew on the noodles, moments from last night playing in her mind, YongSun laughing about having noodles at a strangers house, her seductive joke, the almost kiss... WheeIn shook the thought from her head, she didn't have time to get distracted by this. 

She stood back in front of her canvas, arms crossed, looking at how she could continue the piece. She wasn't exactly sure what was missing but she knew that something was missing from it. Her eyes hurt from staring at it for such a long time. 

Her phone sounded, making her jump out of her skin. She picked up her phone from the side table, an unknown number flashing on the screen. She clicked accept but the other end was silent. "Hello?" She asked hesitantly, wondering why someone would call her and not talk when she answered. 

The person on the other end cleared their throat. "Jung WheeIn ssi, can you meet me at my shop at eight tonight?" Her heart pounded in her chest as she recognized the voice. "This is YongSun by the way." She added after a second. 

WheeIn felt herself smile and gave a soft chuckle. "I figured," WheeIn grabbed her calendar off her table, looking at her schedule for the month, she could spare some time after eight tonight, she had worked most of the day already. "Yes I can be there for eight, is everything okay?" She wondered why YongSun had asked her over to her shop. 

"Yes, everything is fine, just make sure to bring your paint." Now WheeIn was confused, why in the world would she need WheeIn to bring her paint? They hung up the call and WheeIn checked the time, she had just enough time to get herself presentable.

 

Eight on the dot WheeIn was outside the door of YongSun's shop. It looks like it had been closed for about an hour, according to the store hours on the front door. She tucked some hair behind her ear and shuffled her paint in her left hand. She reached out and gave a small knock on the door, immediately regretting the quiet sound that echoed back but was too embarrassed to knock again before she answered. 

She didn't have to wait long, a loud thunk of the deadbolt sounded, a bell chimed over her head and YongSun's smiling face greeted her. WheeIn felt herself smile at the site, very glad that she took the time to get semi ready, as it looked like YongSun had put some effort into her appearance for the day. 

"WheeIn-Ah" She smiled wider. "Come on in!" She stepped aside and let WheeIn pass her. 

WheeIn walked into the middle of the room, setting her paints on the front counter. "It is nice to see you Unnie." She felt a strain to her own smile, a thick cloud of awkwardness in the air, she wanted to ask about her disappearance this morning but didn't feel comfortable asking her. 

YongSun closed her door and locked it once again. "I am sorry I left so early." She said in a rush. "The store was opening and I needed to get into the store." WheeIn felt a bit relieved about that. "I was going to leave a note but all your papers were for your art work and I didn't want to ruin anything." 

WheeIn felt her heart beat a bit, the fact that she cared enough not to ruin her art work. "It's okay Unnie, I understand." WheeIn was trying hard not to look at her but could not help herself. "So what did you need from me?" She asked, finally looking into her soft brown eyes.

A long smile spread over YongSun's face, she reached out and took WheeIn's hand, making WheeIn's nerves jump through the roof. She led her past the counter and over to one of the side walls, white brick. "How would you feel about painting me a mural?" WheeIn gave her a look, she could see redness creep over YongSun's cheeks. "I can pay you for some of it, I figured if you come after closing and do a little bit a day," She shrugged. "It won't interfere with your work." WheeIn was silent for a bit too long as she thought it over. "You don't have to if you are busy." YongSun said in a rush.

"No, no." WheeIn waved her hands. "I'd love to Unnie, I was just thinking about what to paint." WheeIn's mind wandered, colours forming over the brick in her mind, creating shapes and pictures, until she found what she wanted. "I know exactly what to do." They smiled at one another. This was going to be a fun project.

The chapter I forgot about apparently...