Chapter One

A Rose By Any Other Name

For all you WheeSun fluff lovers... Don't hate me too much :D 

-For Ceha, the only reason I'll write WheeSun stories. 


Her fingers ran through her soft brown hair as she pulled it back into a ponytail. She ran her hands down her long black dress, making sure she brushed off all of the debris. She looked at the girl in front of her. Sad brown eyes, slim body dressed up in mourning, face so still you couldn’t even see her dimple. WheeIn sighed at her reflection. Today marked one year without her mother. 

 

She grabbed her purse off the table on her way out of her studio apartment. WheeIn lived above a coffee shop downtown Seoul, the rent was cheaper if you lived above a store. WheeIn was what most people would call a starving artist. She was working hard for her very first exhibit in a month, and it paid off, it would be the first of many. But today she was headed to her mother’s grave.

 

WheeIn locked her apartment door and headed down the stairs on the side of the building. Her flat black shoes didn’t offer much grip on the jagged metal surface, she would have to talk to the landlord about it… again. The streets were not busy this early in the morning. WheeIn dashed across the street to the flower shop. Fleur Jaune was the name of the shop, WheeIn had no idea what it meant, all she cared about was that the woman who owned it was exceptionally beautiful. 

 

WheeIn opened the front door of the shop and the bell above her head chimed. She didn’t see the woman at first. Slowly a soft humming came from the back of the shop, dancing through the many types of flower, it was like a garden of Eden. WheeIn turned the corner and the owner came into view. She had a chubby child like face even though WheeIn knew she was older than her by a few years. She gave off an almost childlike vibe, it radiated through the store, but there was a softness to her as well. 

 

The girl looked up and a slow smile spread across her face as she saw WheeIn standing there. “Hello.” WheeIn notice the mole above her eye. “What can I do for you?” 

WheeIn felt her heart pick up a bit, she had trouble finding the words. “I am looking for some flowers.” She said stupidly.

The girl giggled. “Well you are in the right place, what kind of flowers are you looking for?” 

WheeIn hadn’t thought of that. “I am not sure.” She looked away. “Today is the anniversary of my mother’s death, I wanted to bring her flowers.”

The girl’s face dropped a bit. “I am sorry to hear that.”

WheeIn couldn’t make eye contact. “What about these?” She said pointing to some white roses. “They look nice.”

The girl shook her head. “No, those are for lovers.” WheeIn’s face went beat red. “You want something like this. “She grabbed another white flower. “Lilies are for mourning.” She extended one out toward her, WheeIn took it. “She didn’t have a favourite flower?” 

WheeIn tried to think. “I think she liked magnolias.” 

The girl nodded. “I have some of those, just give me a few minutes.” The girl disappeared into the back room. WheeIn looked around a bit while she was gone. You could barely see anything but flowers, one of the first times she saw the flower girl while she was surrounded by the flowers in her shop, it was a beautiful sight. WheeIn found the desk with the cash register. She picked up one of the tiny business cards on the counter. Kim YongSun. Was written in beautiful script, along with the title of the shop on it. “All finished.” WheeIn was startled and almost dropped the card, instead she slipped it in her purse. 

Kim YongSun handed her a bouquet of lilies, magnolias, and baby’s breath, all tied together with pink paper and a purple bow. “They are beautiful.” She really meant it.

YongSun smiled brightly. “I am glad.” 

WheeIn lifted up her purse. “How much do I owe you?”

YongSun started waving her hands about. “They are on the house.”

Now it was WheeIn’s turn wave her hands. “There is no way I can do that.”

“Please, I insist, since it is for your mother.” 

WheeIn really wanted to argue with her but the whole thirty dollars sitting in her bank account told her to accept the girl’s offer. “Okay, but I will pay you back somehow.” WheeIn pulled out her own business card. “I am an artist, if you can use that for anything, give me a call.” 

YongSun took the card happily. “I will. Good luck today.” She said with a smile that touched her eyes. 

WheeIn and YongSun said their goodbyes. WheeIn left the shop, smile plastered on her face, so big she could feel her dimple. She smelled the bouquet, suddenly happy to go talk to her mother. 


WheeIn splashed colour on her canvas. Her exhibit was only two weeks away and she still had three more pieces to finish. She had her earbuds in and her music cranked to keep her focused. Lights flickered outside her window. It had been storming for the last two hours, that is why she got the earbuds, to block out the sound of the thunder. 

 

WheeIn allowed her brush to dance across the canvas to the beat of the song she was listening to. She raised her brush for another when the lights snuffed out. Her eyes immediately dilating in the darkness of the room. WheeIn sighed and pulled her earbuds out of her ears. It was then she heard the force of the storm. She felt her way around her apartment to the kitchen for the flashlight she kept in her drawer. 

 

She pulled it free from her drawer and turned it on. She wasn’t a huge fan of the dark. The lightning flashed outside her window again, WheeIn pulled back her curtain to peer out of it. She couldn’t see much past the rain. Lightning flashed again. That is when WheeIn noticed her. Kim YongSun sat outside her flower shop, head on her knees, looking lost. WheeIn bolted from her apartment, grabbing her umbrella on her way out the door.

 

She dashed across the street in the pouring rain as it crashed on her umbrella. She reached the shop, the owner didn’t seem to notice she was there. “Kim YongSun ssi?” WheeIn called over the rain.

YongSun’s head shot up, the girl was soaked from the rain. She looked at WheeIn for a good few seconds before she realized who it was. “Oh, Jung WheeIn ssi.” She said looking sad. 

WheeIn stepped on closer. “Why are you sitting in the rain?” She said expecting a good excuse.

“I forgot my house keys in the shop, I forgot the shop keys at my house, my part timer locked up after closing and now I am stuck in the rain.” She smiled sadly.

WheeIn stepped in closer so her umbrella was shielding YongSun as well. “Why didn’t you call your part timer instead of sitting in the pouring rain?”

“I left my phone on the bus.” She said sounding defeated, dropping her head down on her knees again.

“That is some really bad luck.” WheeIn offered.

YongSun gave a humorless laugh. “Welcome to my life.”

WheeIn thought for a moment. “Well you can’t stay here all night. My apartment is across the street, if you are comfortable enough you can come over and I will give you fresh clothes.”

YongSun’s head shot up again. “Really?” WheeIn nodded and held her hand out to help YongSun up. WheeIn really didn’t know what she was doing but she lead YongSun back to her apartment.

 

WheeIn was a little embarrassed at her messy apartment. She wasn’t that neat of a person, especially it being a studio, the only other room was the bathroom. She had a double bed pushed up to one side of the room, sleeping was not really that important to her. Her paint supplies and canvases were spread out all over her apartment, many leaning against every wall, some hanging up, and some were on esels. Her kitchen was mostly clean but there was a large stack of empty ramen noodle cups on her counter. She was kind of glad for the dark. “My power went out a few minutes ago.” She explained on the way in, taking up her flashlight as they got in. “It is never out for that long.” She handed her light to YongSun, lighting a few candles around her place as she made her way to her wardrobe. She pulled out a black shirt and some grey shorts for YongSun to change into. WheeIn was trying not to notice YongSun’s soaked through white shirt as she passed them off. “The bathroom is over there.” She pointed as if it were not obvious. 

 

As YongSun changed, WheeIn tried to clean up a bit. Tossing the empty cups in the trash and pushing some of her paintings off the side of the room. There wasn’t much else she could do with the mess. WheeIn went over to her gas stove and put on some water for tea and ramen. YongSun came out, her long brown hair was twisted to one side, hanging over her shoulder. “I really appreciate this Jung WheeIn ssi.” She said joining her in the small area that was the kitchen.

“You can just call me WheeIn, I am younger than you anyway.”

YongSun tilted her head to one side. “Am I?” WheeIn wanted to curse herself, she had got her friend Byul to find out for her one day. But YongSun just smiled. “Then you can call me Unnie.” She decided happily. 

WheeIn couldn’t help but smile a bit. “Thank you… U-unnie.” She stuttered over the foreign word in , it made her feel embarrassed. “I am making us some tea and ramen, you should warm up before you catch a cold.” 

YongSun smiled more. “So thoughtful WheeIn.” WheeIn’s face really did go red now. YongSun walked through WheeIn’s apartment, looking at WheeIn’s art, making WheeIn feel very vulnerable. WheeIn’s eyes watched her intently as she made her way through each piece, giving each a few minutes. “You really are a good artist WheeIn.” She said.

“T-thank you.” WheeIn turned around to make the tea, she couldn’t bare YongSun looking through her emotions anymore. When the tea was done she started on the noodles. 

“What is this one, it is beautiful.” WheeIn’s heart dropped when she turned. It was a sea of flowers, so many different kinds, dancing in the foreground. Then in the background, the silhouette of a woman stood among the sea, it was YongSun. WheeIn painted it the day she first saw her, enrapturing beauty on a canvas. 

WheeIn swallowed. “Our food is ready.” She brought two cups of ramen and tea over to her tiny table for one in the middle of the room. 

YongSun sat opposite of her and took the noodles. “I can’t believe I came to another person’s house for ramen.” She giggled and WheeIn choked on hers. That made YongSun laugh more. “I am kidding WheeIn.” She said with such a seductive voice. “I’d be flattered if such a pretty girl offered me to eat ramen at her house.” 

WheeIn eyed her, was she being serious? Was Kim YongSun flirting with her? WheeIn quickly ate her meal. “Why do you love flowers so much?” She asked between bites. 

YongSun thought for a moment. “Because people give flowers for a reason, each bouquet has a different meeting, a different occasion. It is so romantic.” WheeIn felt herself smile. “Why did you choose to paint?”

WheeIn shrugged. “I remember painting before I could walk. My mother used to joke that I was born with a brush in my hands. I never saw a different future for myself. It seems like part of my soul.” 

YongSun smiled at that. “That seems romantic as well.” WheeIn smiled.

 

When WheeIn cleaned up YongSun continued her walk about WheeIn’s apartment. She settled on one of WheeIn’s oldest paintings, a wilting rose. “Someone broke your heart?” She asked looking back at WheeIn.

WheeIn walked into the living room. “What makes you say that?” 

YongSun laughed a bit. “A red rose, the symbol of love, wilting. Means it is dying, the death of love.” 

WheeIn nodded, she painted it after her first girlfriend dumped her. “It happened a long time ago.”

“And is that why you are so closed off? They broke your heart.” 

WheeIn shrugged, she wasn’t sure, sure she hadn’t been on a date in a long time and that was her last relationship. “Maybe.”

YongSun glided over to her and WheeIn tensed up. “You need to open up a bit more WheeIn, you need to let go of the past.” Her brown eyes lightened up, softened. “There are so many others out there who would be lucky to have you.” YongSun lifted her hand, fingers gliding over WheeIn’s cheek, she shuddered a bit, feeling electricity. “You just need to open yourself up.” She whispered now, breath dancing across WheeIn’s lips. When did she get so close? Why wasn’t WheeIn making a move to stop her? WheeIn leaned in a bit, feeling the magnetic pull of YongSun. With a flash the lights came back, and reality settled around them.


Don't hate the ending... please. 

I'll probably write more... maybe